• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

As to consent, I have no idea as to the minimum but I guarantee that any consent a corporation will grant to fan-made (which yours, as it uses game-files, is not) content will be very carefully worded and involve several hundred words to the public at large and retain the right to issue cease-and-desists at will on a case by case basis.

In order to profit from the use of their game files, you would have to enter into a full-on business arrangement with them.

yea i don't exactly plan on doing that so i'll just stick to making things for myself and ill read over laws more carefully. Thank you from preventing me from being sued/fined or whatnot, if someone else wants to ask the reloaded for me feel free, but for now ill just try some prints and maybe post some pics of good ones. Also do you know what are the regulations if i put the printable files on somewhere like http://www.thingiverse.com/so people can print it themselves?

Edited by maxajcd, 14 October 2015 - 01:39 PM.

I do appreciate the art, but I don't have time to find anything good. /h/

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

yea i don't exactly plan on doing that so i'll just stick to making things for myself and ill read over laws more carefully. Thank you from preventing me from being sued/fined or whatnot, if someone else wants to ask the reloaded for me feel free, but for now ill just try some prints and maybe post some pics of good ones. Also do you know what are the regulations if i put the printable files on somewhere like http://www.thingiverse.com/so people can print it themselves?

That one's beyond me, sorry. I suspect the answer is in their terms and conditions though, like "you must be the owner of this intellectual property" or some such.

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

"3.3 Acceptable Use Policy. The following sets forth Company's "Acceptable Use Policy": (a) You agree not to use the Sites or Services to collect, upload, transmit, display, or distribute any User Content (i) that violates any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right;" -Thingiverse.com Terms Of Use. I Think this is what you said 

I suspect the answer is in their terms and conditions though, like "you must be the owner of this intellectual property" or some such.

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Thanks Amidatelion for clarifying that. So I'll wipe the rust of my knife and start cutting 32 wooden blocks. Excited to see your first results though. 

• Luaq likes this

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Here's a very good talk about fan art and intellectual property. It's long but it's definitely worth watching.

Edited by Pleasure_Mortar, 16 October 2015 - 04:32 AM.

• Houruck, KarlSchlag and kvazarsky like this

EliteShooter

EliteShooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Screw 3D printing mechs.

I want rolled blunts fresh out of a printer.

hqdefault.jpg

• dorobo likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Screw 3D printing mechs.

I want rolled blunts fresh out of a printer.

I can make you a blunt rolling robot for about 1000 USD.

Edited by Hyginos, 16 October 2015 - 12:46 PM.

• KarlSchlag and Luaq like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

I can make you a blunt rolling robot for about 1000 USD.

sold lol

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

[Deleted]

Edited by maxajcd, 26 October 2015 - 08:32 AM.

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

first print starting, Full moke (scout) chassis, estimated 7hrs print, about 1x2x2 in vol, i ran out of white filament so its bright yellow, 

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

first print starting, Full moke (scout) chassis, estimated 7hrs print, about 1x2x2 in vol, i ran out of white filament so its bright yellow, 

printed with too much support material, cant remove it and got a nasty cut trying. Reprinting with 1/2 the support material, should take 5 1/2 hours

PolarBear571

PolarBear571

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If you have the 3d model there are also companies offering multi-colored 3d prints made out of a plaster-like material. For example http://www.sculpteo.com

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

If you have the 3d model there are also companies offering multi-colored 3d prints made out of a plaster-like material. For example http://www.sculpteo.com

it sounds cool but i dont want to spend too much money on this tho plus i have a 3d printer at my house

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

well.. the problem is that 3d printing to my knowledge doesn't support normal maps. sure - you can turn the low poly 3d model from game into hi-rez model but it will still lack of every fine detail included within normal map. and what normal map is? it's a flat 2d texture showing how the light would bounce off more complex surface. and yes - there are some ways to reproject normal map into height map and then into the real 3d geometry but the best way would be to have the original high poly mesh of the original model. or to remake the model specifically for 3d printing. too much work i'm afraid...

here are some examples of the 'printed model' without the normal maps (as a result any complex detail)

screenshot000_by_pelax-d9fm6gx.png

screenshot001_by_pelax-d9fm6fq.png

still.. it would look awesome ;-)

berserker_clay_by_pelax-d9fmh9u.jpg

ps. look how many work is required to print pretty simple model: http://www.zbrushcen...Cyberman-Helmet

Edited by Pelax, 05 November 2015 - 01:03 PM.

• Meraple, KarlSchlag and Luaq like this

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

well.. the problem is that 3d printing to my knowledge doesn't support normal maps. sure - you can turn the low poly 3d model from game into hi-rez model but it will still lack of every fine detail included within normal map. and what normal map is? it's a flat 2d texture showing how the light would bounce off more complex surface. and yes - there are some ways to reproject normal map into height map and then into the real 3d geometry but the best way would be to have the original high poly mesh of the original model. or to remake the model specifically for 3d printing. too much work i'm afraid...

here are some examples of the 'printed model' without the normal maps (as a result any complex detail)

screenshot000_by_pelax-d9fm6gx.png

screenshot001_by_pelax-d9fm6fq.png

ps. look how many work is required to print pretty simple model: http://www.zbrushcen...Cyberman-Helmet

i got the first print to work with all the detail with the scout, even the slightly embossed area on the top

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

i've done some research: you can use  normal maps to rebake them into height or better - displacement - maps and reproject them into high poly geometry. i think software as 'xnormals' or quixel 'ndo' or allegorithmic 'substance b2m' should do the trick.

happy experimenting!

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

i've done some research: you can use  normal maps to rebake them into height or better - displacement - maps and reproject them into high poly geometry. i think software as 'xnormals' or quixel 'ndo' or allegorithmic 'substance b2m' should do the trick.

happy experimenting!

all i need to do is find a way to do without support material, otherwise it already works fine but thanks for the ideas

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

berserker_clay_by_pelax-d9fmh9u.jpg

Wait so you already printed it?

ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

i would love to make molds for polystyrene models out those Dx

Reloaded we need mech models!

*SCREECHING* 

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

i would love to make molds for polystyrene models out those Dx

Reloaded we need mech models!

and then you could cast them with the lost foam casting thing with aluminum

• ropefish likes this

ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

and then you could cast them with the lost foam casting thing with aluminum

shiny metal mechs, that is a good idea

*SCREECHING* 

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Wait so you already printed it?

Nope. Sadly it's only a 3D render...

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

all i need to do is find a way to do without support material, otherwise it already works fine but thanks for the ideas

have you considered reducing the density of the infill of the mech or the support? or if able make it triangularly structured for strength?

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

have you considered reducing the density of the infill of the mech or the support? or if able make it triangularly structured for strength?

yes i have but the infill still gets in the way, i think the best way is to cut the mech into pieces and glue them together

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users