• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

I too have gotten to the point where I really don't feel like I have anything to contribute to the game, mainly because my opinion is skewed by my relative lack of skill.  I have a deep and complete understanding of the mechanics of the game by this point, just not the mindset to act upon them at the appropriate time.  The current state of the game has led to some of the same questions to be asked over and over again, and it feels like I haven't garnered anything that would warrant a post in the forums, let alone a reply to a thread topic.

I have gotten salty with hawken, mainly because I dove head first into building a community around the interests that kept me playing in the first place - I felt as though there was a high skill level that I could achieve in this game simply through playing it, and surrounding myself with players who had the same attitude.  TDMers as a whole just like to play the game, but they also like to improve as pilots, and do so with an incredible amount of determination.

the clan has grown much larger than I ever expected.  as a result, I have become a bit overwhelmed with the effort it takes to keep the whole thing from falling apart.  Crock and I have enlisted some help with this, but even as a whole I feel like we have bit off more than we can chew.

Don't take this the wrong way - TDM is here to stay, and so am I, but I am at the point where doing this will take less of my time and effort, simply so I don't burn out.

I Had a great job as the QA Manager for a mid-size chemical cosmetics factory, but I was in a very bad living situation(re: I was worried that my two sons were being mistreated.)  I have now moved to Oklahoma to live with my parents, and have landed a dream job: I am an installation technician for a Wireless internet service provider(RE: Cambium Canopy), and my personal interests in linux have opened an opportunity to become a network systems engineer for this company.  They've been in business for over 80 years, and so long there is a large market for radio-based communications technology,  I will have a job with them.  It's also a family oriented business, which has been a great help for me.

I don't drink scotch, but I do like whiskey - Jack Daniels single barrel, and Bushmill if I'm feeling traditional.

I do drink beer more than liqour - right now, it's Mustang Wachita wheat beer and Yuengling lager.  My dad makes his own IPA - he puts a picture of a snarling doberman on the bottle and calls it "cranky b!tch beer". XD
I will be making my own water based chilling cabinet, so I can make my own lager.

I've jumped right back into modded minecraft - I have been playing FTB infinity Evolved, but I'm looking to develop my own modpack.

I am also a baker.  I joined the US Air Force ~18 years ago to become a computer programmer. they made me a cook.  I did, however, recieve training from classically trained chefs.  My implacable taste for sweets made me beeline for the midnight baker, where I made nothing but cakes and cookies and pies and pastries and donuts and stuff and junk.  My dentist hates me.

Make some homemade macaroni and cheese, but use smoked gouda and havarti.  you'll die, I swear.

C++: I started with this with Bruce Eckels' "thinking in C++". Nowadays I just have trouble wrapping my head around concurrency. also, geany is just a great simple all-around IDE, a text editor with code completion and a toolchain interface that works along the command line mindset.

Has anybody else looked into Panda3D? I dunno...

Right now, I'm working on making some wooden minecraft chests for my boys. solid cherry trimlines with blondewood oak plywood panels. they're 16in cubed and the all the sides are 3/4in thick. I'm coming up with ways to make sure the stinkin lids don't slam down on my boys' fingers and break them...

• crockrocket, JeffMagnum, DieselCat and 1 other like this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Right now, I'm working on making some wooden minecraft chests for my boys. solid cherry trimlines with blondewood oak plywood panels. they're 16in cubed and the all the sides are 3/4in thick. I'm coming up with ways to make sure the stinkin lids don't slam down on my boys' fingers and break them...

http://www.mcmaster....655k33/=104rgx8

d1eZeG3.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

To add to Jeff's suggestion of McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster....hinges/=104uky4

Some of the hinges on that page get into the $40 range, but simple friction hinges are about $20.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

To add to Jeff's suggestion of McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster....hinges/=104uky4

Some of the hinges on that page get into the $40 range, but simple friction hinges are about $20.

@jeff: thx for that. I was thinking of using felt buttons, but the poly strip might hold up better. As for hinges, I'm using piano hinges, and education.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users