• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Well, does it compile, link, and display your program?

Can you run multiple files in a program with it?

If it does do the above, does it have its own copy of standard libraries like <iostream> and <cmath>?

I'm open to something new, especially something that requires a deeper knowledge of the language, after all one of the reasons I'm starting with C++ (other than already having some fundamental knowledge in it) is that "it runs close to the machine" and I honestly can't think of a way to say it other than that - which is a quote. I think learning stuff at that level is necessary when learning higher, high level languages. 

Sorry for editing this literally five times since you probably last saw it and are now replying to it.

Suck it.

A C++ IDE?

Give Code::Blocks a try!
It's free and open source :)

It also supports C and FORTRAN if you want to try either of those, and has a ton of templates ready for you to use. You can even make your own!

AXgnWyr.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Anyone reading who knows C++:

This is part of the test thing:

int wrongfuzzy bunnyer()
{
std::cout << "WRONG, fuzzy bunnyER! \n";
return 0;
}

I would like this function to call the function that called it after it runs - it is called by multiple functions. As long as I've got you here, would anyone know how to do that?

There's probably a better solution, but you could pass an extra int that just indicates which function made the call, then use a switch statement from there

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

There's probably a better solution, but you could pass an extra int that just indicates which function made the call, then use a switch statement from there

Unfortunately that's half gibberish to me. Could you do some elaboration on the "switch"statement?

Also "pass" isn't really in my vocabulary yet. I'm assuming you mean just write a function in the function?

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
So when you call a function, you can "pass" variables to it. So your function would look something like

int fuzzybunny(int callSource){
//function stuff
return 0;
}

And then you call the function it would be
fuzzybunny(callsource);
Where you can either declare a variable callsource and set it depending on the function, or just hard code the declaration with a number in place of that variable

If you haven't got to switch statements it may be easier to use a series of if elseif statements

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 04 December 2015 - 04:54 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

A C++ IDE?
Give Code::Blocks a try!
It's free and open source :)
It also supports C and FORTRAN if you want to try either of those, and has a ton of templates ready for you to use. You can even make your own!

At the moment I don't have much incentive to switch IDEs though. But that was one of the ones the tutorial mentioned.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Alright, might as well say something for once!

I read most of the forums every day, because you guys entertain me. I hardly ever post unless it's something neat that I made. I've never been part of a forum before Hawken, because I've never loved a game as much as this one. Seriously - this game is like the absolute perfect match for me. So I guess that is what lead me to lurk around these forums and occasionally post artwork and stuff.

I played every day since I discovered Hawken in 2013, and it has had a huge impact on my life. It is the first time I've been part of some sort of official league, which was a very interesting experience. I've never spoken to (or more accurately, listened to) random people over teamspeak before Hawken. I've drawn enough mechs to fill a book. Hawken is my favorite.

After my senior year of high school started, I've been quite strapped for time to play Hawken. I've started learning how to animate in Flash, as well as model things in Cinema 4D. I guess you could say I find those activities to be extremely fun. I hope to do something along the lines of producing game assets or making animated films as a career.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for this game to come back to life (it will). I'll be making neat Hawken art as usual, albeit infrequently. Thanks for reading.

• eth0, comic_sans, ticklemyiguana and 2 others like this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

So when you call a function, you can "pass" variables to it. So your function would look something like
int fuzzybunny(int callSource){
//function stuff
return 0;
}
If you haven't got to switch statements it may be easier to use a series of if elseif statements

Neat! I had no idea I could use a function as a parameter. Haven't considered how it will help just yet, but I'll update if/when it does. Actually I still have no idea how to get a function to recognize which function made the call though. As far as I can tell what you typed in response will just input whatever callSource evaluates to as a single parameter for int fuzzybunny.

That being said, come onnnnn, test your knowledge of how well you know statements and see if you can't explain switch's use/format.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 04 December 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

no u

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Neat! I had no idea I could use a function as a parameter. Haven't considered how it will help just yet, but I'll update if/when it does. Actually I still have no idea how to get a function to recognize which function made the call though. As far as I can tell what you typed in response will just input whatever callSource evaluates to as a single parameter for int fuzzybunny.

That being said, come onnnnn, test your knowledge of how well you know statements and see if you can't explain switch's use/format.

More detailed response coming when I get home

JgQjgkx.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

More detailed response coming when I get home

Well this doesn't help me at all.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

So, say you have functions 1, 2, and 3. In function 1, when you call fuzzybunny you would say fuzzybunny(1) . That will call fuzzybunny, and also set callsource to 1. Now if you were using if and elseifs it would look something like this:

Spoiler

With a switch statement:

Spoiler

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 04 December 2015 - 06:01 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

So, say you have functions 1, 2, and 3. In function 1, when you call fuzzybunny you would say fuzzybunny(1) . That will call fuzzybunny, and also set callsource to 1. Now if you were using if and elseifs it would look something like this:

Spoiler

With a switch statement:

Spoiler

Thank you. That all being said, in the meantime, I found a workaround that's a little cleaner. (You didn't have the whole program... hopefully obviously... so you couldn't have known. This was sort of an XY scenario.)

Also is it just my naivety or is stackoverflow actually a really fuzzy bunnyng good community?

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 04 December 2015 - 08:20 PM.

• crockrocket likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Thank you. That all being said, in the meantime, I found a workaround that's a little cleaner. (You didn't have the whole program... hopefully obviously... so you couldn't have known. This was sort of an XY scenario.)

Also is it just my naivety or is stackoverflow actually a really fuzzy bunnyng good community?

In my experience stackoverflow is pretty great

JgQjgkx.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

If you want your programs to communicate, use files. Binary files or text files but you may have to do some conversions if your data isn't purely strings.

Using files is really useful once you get the hang of it.

As for notepad++, it's nothing but an editor, no compiler, debugger, linker ... nothing else.

Visual studio's text editor is much better than notepad++'s. Rest assured. And quite honestly you don't need anything else, VS is almost perfect except for the fuzzy bunny "unsafe function" warnings. You probably know what I'm talking about. If you don't, one day you will, and you'll hate it.

As for your question, you can't use a "function" as a parameter, you're using its return value as a parameter. If you understand it your way then there are functions that will be rejected if you try to use them as parameters: no return functions (void).

Also, before you're doomed forever, do it like this:

statement

{

//something something ...

}

Not like:

statement{

//bad bad plx no!11 ...

}

Anyways, make sure you start reading the book I sent you ASAP, I'm pretty confident you'll PM me soon telling me how much you loved it. it's pure gold.

Edited by Elite, 04 December 2015 - 10:30 PM.

• Kopra likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

If you want your programs to communicate, use files. Binary files or text files but you may have to do some conversions if your data isn't purely strings.

As for notepad++, it's nothing but an editor, no compiler, debugger, linker ... nothing else.

Visual studio's text editor is much better than notepad++'s. Rest assured. And quite honestly you don't need anything else, VS is almost perfect except for the fuzzy bunny "unsafe function" warnings. You probably know what I'm talking about. If you don't, one day you will, and you'll hate it.

As for your question, you can't use a "function" as a parameter, you're using its return value as a parameter. If you understand it your way then there are functions that will be rejected if you try to use them as parameters: no return functions (void).

Also, before you're doomed forever, do it like this:

statement

{

//something something ...

}

Not like:

statement{

//bad bad plx no!11 ...

}

Anyways, make sure you start reading the book I sent you ASAP, I'm pretty confident you'll PM me soon telling me how much you loved it. it's pure gold.

I am drunk, but I know more than all the information in that post.

(However I will absolutely supplement the path I'm on with the book you sent - especially since it's free and all.)

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 04 December 2015 - 10:53 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I am drunk

I am surprised 

• ticklemyiguana likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Where is this "Keep calm and blame S9" pic?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

?:

lol :3

Edited by nepacaka, 05 December 2015 - 01:36 AM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Thats inefficient, slow and you can get into access issues by trying to access a file thats already in use.   If you want programs to communicate back and forth with one another on the same machine you'd use IPC (inter process communication)  aka shared memory and just access whatever you need as if its normal memory inside the same program.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Thats inefficient, slow and you can get into access issues by trying to access a file thats already in use.   If you want programs to communicate back and forth with one another on the same machine you'd use IPC (inter process communication)  aka shared memory and just access whatever you need as if its normal memory inside the same program.

That's out of the scope of my knowledge which is fairly limited. I only suggested the idea that I knew of.

I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

I'm impressed how much does this thread contributes in terms of forum activity.

I guess we're going quantity over quality now. Well played @ticklemyiguana, well played.

I simply cease to believe that something is OP just because it's OP.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

That's out of the scope of my knowledge which is fairly limited. I only suggested the idea that I knew of.

Shared memory, sockets, mailboxes, and other older concepts exist to serve this function.  Nowadays, many people use a middleware layer for distribution of data, sort of a bus/rpc combination that handles reconnection and reregistration, db checkpointing/synching, etc.

• Elite_is_salty likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Let's conversate! For me, streaming is an opportunity to "hang" with my Internet friends and make new ones. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm always down to party in some other games, share funny videos, or just talk about the universe.

A non-hawken update on myself: I'll be going off of my pizza diet to try soylent this weekend. I can't wait to mix it with Waffle Crisp.

Hawken update: WarWed clips are coming but youtube is a fuzzy bunny. Expect slug reaper and eoc raider highlights soon.

I enjoyed the time that I spent here and encourage others to hop on and... Conversate.
  • eth0 likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

(P:B)Augmentia

(P:B)Augmentia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Hawken for me was and still is a challenge. I plan to get up to the tippy top 100, and nothing will change that. This is the first game I haven't gotten bored of after the first month, so it intrigues me. I will probably still be here during the revival, with new content put out, or going down with the ship, because I have a connection with this game and the community as well that I haven't quite found before anywhere. In the deep sea of the internet, this is one of those tropical islands that keeps shining, a bastion of tranquility among the seas of pandemonium. For better or for worse, I will stay with it. I just hope that when all is said and done, there is something for me to take away from this experience.

Always here, until the end, til shutdown do us part.

• crockrocket likes this
I am MM
brKc5dA.jpg

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I know, its also part of the reasons why I didn't bother trying to explain pointers to Tickle to solve his recursion attempt.
  • crockrocket likes this

[DELETED]

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Hawken for me was and still is a challenge. I plan to get up to the tippy top 100, and nothing will change that. This is the first game I haven't gotten bored of after the first month, so it intrigues me. I will probably still be here during the revival, with new content put out, or going down with the ship, because I have a connection with this game and the community as well that I haven't quite found before anywhere. In the deep sea of the internet, this is one of those tropical islands that keeps shining, a bastion of tranquility among the seas of pandemonium. For better or for worse, I will stay with it. I just hope that when all is said and done, there is something for me to take away from this experience.

Always here, until the end, til shutdown do us part.

Kinda sounds like you already have.

I know, its also part of the reasons why I didn't bother trying to explain pointers to Tickle to solve his recursion attempt.

I can explain to you with a consistent and reasonable degree of detail, the evolution of matter and energy from a clump of superheated spacetime in the very first instants of the universe all the way to to the clump of approx. 1 trillion cells (not all neurons) that sits inside each of our skulls and then begin a semi formal hypothesis on neural recursion as to how it relates to human consciousness.

And I can do it passionately and coherently while absolutely hammered, bringing large groups of other innebriated people to a full silence for about ten minutes.

Well. At the end of that statement I basically just wanted to say "if you explain it reasonably well, I'll get it, so if you have the time, please explain it" - however, sometimes computers have trumped my thought process more thoroughly than the first time I heard about quantum physics.

If you'd like to present your level of knowledge on computer software and hardware as it relates to C++, I can promise a thorough read through. I cannot promise that tomorrow, when I estimate I will have time for a response, I will possess either the motivation or clearheadedness to provide anything of value to the discussion, but I will appreciate your effort nonetheless.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 05 December 2015 - 02:23 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Tickle, pointers are just addresses.

There are different kinds of processor architectures:  Harvard and Princeton/VonNeumann (back in the day, the DoD had the schools compete to design computers) are two of them; the difference between them is whether or not the program counter can address instructions in the same space as data.  Embedded microprocessors are often Harvard Architecture (and the program counter can't address subroutines in user-space data), but desktop (and ARM, such as in mobile phones) are Princeton, and can have a (edit: instruction) pointer in user space. (more edit:  the pointer turns into a lcall instruction: jump - set the program counter - to this instruction address and pop parameters off the stack).

C++ is originally a compiler preprocessor extention to C; it embeds methods and messages (both are function calls in classes) by embedding the address of a method and placing it on the call stack (look up 'calling conventions').  This is a pointer to a function.  C++ makes available to the object a pointer to the object (this-> pointer), and most calling conventions give a callback pointer to the calling function.  You can do this explicitly in C or in C++ if you wanted, by registering callbacks through many datastructure representations, or let the compiler do/manage it for you.

X Windows and Motif (a library to manage user windows on a display) literally had callbacks (as do many other more-recent/more-advanced libraries) so you could register whatever you wanted done (address of/pointer to a function with optional parameter data) upon an event served by an event handler.  I found Xt and Motif a really neat implementation of object-ness prior to learning C++, and how to handle complexity in embedded systems early on (yes, embedded is not presentation-layer, but still...).

Your journey will be different.  Have fun!

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, 05 December 2015 - 03:00 PM.

You should call me Luna.

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

CaptureLizard.jpg

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Me?  Grin.  Tickle sounded like he wanted an answer :)

(If you were replying to SS396, whose posts I ignore and don't see) then NM ;)

You should call me Luna.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

ZN1W8qY.png

• Aregon, Miscellaneous, Meraple and 1 other like this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

ZN1W8qY.png

Lol homework.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I can explain to you with a consistent and reasonable degree of detail, the evolution of matter and energy from a clump of superheated spacetime in the very first instants of the universe all the way to to the clump of approx. 1 trillion cells (not all neurons) that sits inside each of our skulls and then begin a semi formal hypothesis on neural recursion as to how it relates to human consciousness.

And I can do it passionately and coherently while absolutely hammered, bringing large groups of other innebriated people to a full silence for about ten minutes.

Well. At the end of that statement I basically just wanted to say "if you explain it reasonably well, I'll get it, so if you have the time, please explain it" - however, sometimes computers have trumped my thought process more thoroughly than the first time I heard about quantum physics.

If you'd like to present your level of knowledge on computer software and hardware as it relates to C++, I can promise a thorough read through. I cannot promise that tomorrow, when I estimate I will have time for a response, I will possess either the motivation or clearheadedness to provide anything of value to the discussion, but I will appreciate your effort nonetheless.

Based on your reply (and another one of your recent ones that is still freshly engraved in my head), I feel you might of misunderstood my comment to Elite.

I just felt that perhaps someone just learning what a while loop is, might not be ready for the topic of pointers yet.

So when I read about your relative newness to programming, that along with some other things made me reluctant to want to discuss things.  Thats all.  

Honestly I'm wondering why on earth someone would ever want to use recursion in their program in the first place unless its required by some sort of class assignment.

(If you were replying to SS396, whose posts I ignore and don't see) then NM ;)

Reading my posts as a quote inside of someone else's posts does not count as successfully ignoring them, they are still my posts, and you are still reading them.  Its ok though, I do the same thing, just quit lying to yourself about it and trying to convince everyone that you are successfully doing something you aren't.

Spoiler

[DELETED]

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Based on your reply (and another one of your recent ones that is still freshly engraved in my head), I feel you might of misunderstood my comment to Elite.
I just felt that perhaps someone just learning what a while loop is, might not be ready for the topic of pointers yet.

So when I read about your relative newness to programming, that along with some other things made me reluctant to want to discuss things. Thats all.
Honestly I'm wondering why on earth someone would ever want to use recursion in their program in the first place unless its required by some sort of class assignment.

You're probably right. The enjoyment of learning something new has inspired a sense of confidence that I haven't felt in a bit. Im new as hell to this and both you and Luna's responses indicate that everyone has steps to take and I'm just being eager. There's merit to learning something when appropriate.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 05 December 2015 - 11:27 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
If you're trying to slam through intro cs you'll be ready for pointers within a couple days

JgQjgkx.png

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

You're probably right. The enjoyment of learning something new has inspired a sense of confidence that I haven't felt in a bit. Im new as hell to this and both you and Luna's responses indicate that everyone has steps to take and I'm just being eager. There's merit to learning something when appropriate.

Its not about being right, or forcing you to wait and theres nothing wrong with being eager to learn something new.  Thats the drive that everyone needs to succeed.  I'm sure whatever you are using to learn C++ be it a book or website, will get to pointers eventually.  Then we'll see the results and you can let me know if you thought it was better to not confuse you early on.

Take the time to master the fundamentals, the good news is they are the same in any high level language or high level math, so all you'll have to learn is the languages syntax and formatting to satisfy the compiler.  In other words a for loop in C++ is the same concept as a for loop in Turbo C, Java, C#, Fortran, ada, or whatever one you choose, they are all just written differently.  

[DELETED]

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
It surprises me Ashfire hasn't said anything here yet.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Its not about being right, or forcing you to wait and theres nothing wrong with being eager to learn something new. Thats the drive that everyone needs to succeed. I'm sure whatever you are using to learn C++ be it a book or website, will get to pointers eventually. Then we'll see the results and you can let me know if you thought it was better to not confuse you early on.

Take the time to master the fundamentals, the good news is they are the same in any high level language or high level math, so all you'll have to learn is the languages syntax and formatting to satisfy the compiler. In other words a for loop in C++ is the same concept as a for loop in Turbo C, Java, C#, Fortran, ada, or whatever one you choose, they are all just written differently.

This is why c++ is a good language to learn, even if it isn't used much these days. Like SS said, once you master the basic concepts, it's just a matter of learning syntax for any given language.

Having TA'd for intro cs a time or two myself, I think you should be ready for pointers and recursion pretty soon, but definitely make sure you're solid on a concept before you move on to the next one.

JgQjgkx.png

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Yeah. You guys still think that KGB didn't exist. But this is how it working. You think "Oh, nothing happen here...", and then, bam! KGB knocks out your door... :3

yep. post which i writing is a joke.
but very bad joking about KGB... if they have your photo...

That made me laugh :) "Yeah, it was a joke. But don't joke about that, it's dangerous. But it was a joke, just don't joke about it."

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I stopped doing the clan pharmaceutical about a month and a half ago, and suddenly almost all of my care for pvp stuff dried up!  Totally black and white.  I never get the itch to hunch my shoulders and throw my hat in anymore.  The last few times I tried to play hawken totally sober, I felt like a donkey with a helmet on that got pissed off REALLY EASILY because it felt like the lightning was gone from my fingers and I couldn't get my brain to the thoughtless place of success anymore.  I also discovered, through TPG, that I really just don't give one eighth of a fudge about competitive anythings and I have a tough time dealing with the fact that I'd need to treat the thing I do to relax like a job to win, and even prioritizing winning runs counter to how I like to play; for me, having fun is the main goal with winning being a happy consequence of how well I do when I'm having a good time, not the other way around, and this is a lot easier with no team to be a responsible part of. 

I think you're confusing all these feelings and thoughts with the fact that you played nothing but berzerker for months straight and it killed your soul.

• coldform, Amidatelion, eth0 and 2 others like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

People who are new to C++ are always intrigued by the concept of pointers, and that's a good thing. But a strong understanding of datatypes and how memory works in needed in order to use them well. That being said, being yet to get the hang of the basic statements (basic meaning essential not easy) is a sign that one might not be that ready for pointers. Maybe able to understand them but not in depth and not well enough to use them very well.

My thing with C++ was that it was so amazing and so rich that I got lost jumping back and forth between things, ending up disturbing the learning curve and getting discourage. That thirst to know it all is very likely to have a huge toll on any aspiring future C++ programmer.

So my advice to you tickle, find a trusted knowledge source (i.e. a book, even though books are more of good references usually) and learn what it has to offer and only turn to personal advice when you need help with a program you're writing in order to apply what you learned. (I hope you're aware of the existence of stackoverflow.com).

Once you're starting to learn generic programming in C++ (templates) then know you're ready for conversations. But right now, no one is doing you not much good lol. All the things the guys might say, you'll encounter while reading any good book or even following an online course, and it'll be well timed too.

Good luck, can't wait for your first project!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users