• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Actually yeah. I was sort of hoping for that. However my request that the noses be tied to context, location, DOES NOT SEEM TO BE BEING FOLLOWED.

Almost all of my favorite smells have the context of all of the camping/hiking my wife and I do.
So there.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

The smell of your favorite food when you are really hungry.

And of course whatever smell you associate with good memories, our mind works in a funny way like that, the smell of a leather jacket and gasoline brings me back to some of the best memories i have. Oh and of course the deodorant/perfume someone really close to you uses or used.

• Aregon, DeeRax and Flight1ess like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Leaded fuel and Race Gas - especially if it's ELF leaded racegas.  Reminds me so much of racing and my childhood back circa 1969 (when pumps dispensed leaded gas... up to 1972.  Don't tell me Regular gasoline was leaded after 1972... it wasn't).  Getting gas in my dad's metal can for the lawnmower.  Or, in the case of racegas, getting ready in the morning for the first practice session, feeling the adrenaline picking up, but playing it cool, then getting the whiff of racegas in the Rider's Meeting... 

I guess I need to say 'two-stroke exhaust' too - castor or other.  Castor reminds me of model airplanes (can you say 'Cox .049'?) and bike/chainsaw oil makes me think of that first motorcycle, a 1969 Suzuki 50cc something or other... oh the times we had together :)

I too like the first minutes of rain, but don't associate it with anything.  Creosote bushes have a smell in light showers, but nothing specific comes to mind (other than me telling myself I need to get the hell out of the city and into the desert more often.  I've since moved away :( ).

Warm pine forest smells I associate with July, 1983 and a camping trip.  Most of the Sonoran Desert (sagebrush), and much of the high Rockies pine elicits that in me.

Lemon and some limes.  I had both in my house in Arizona.  And rosemary, too.  All three remind me of my awesome house in Arizona and that I had to leave it because of work.

Hops - the live vines and even pellets/cones while brewing.  Reminds me of brewing, oddly enough (I gave it up around 1999).

There is a certain combination of vanilla, wax, and coconut which I strongly associate with a former fling.  Late January, Stratton Mountain, Vermont, in the early 1980's and that is all I will say.

Mimeographs.  Kids today just will NOT understand that scene in Ferris Bueller.

Baking pecan pie, or baklava in the oven just brings back my Grandmother getting ready for holidays.

Ozone.  Reminds me of a model train I had, and the fantasies of growing up to be a train driver (my bedroom, early '70s, when I was maybe 5 or 6)

Smoked Whitefish.  Instantly makes me salivate/stomach rumble.  Reminds me of Park Avenue in NYC, mid-late 1970s, the era when Bonham and Moon died from excess (I remember conversations at family gatherings/events on that and the Falklands war, while eating whitefish on toast points...).  Haagen-Daz vanilla will bring me to the same point in time, but not  the same 'gotta have it' craving (I very seldom eat ice cream).

Fresh (like you pull the bulbs out of the ground by the greens) Garlic.  Just so much can come to mind when smelling it.

Pretzels - Bavarian style - remind me of a trip to Bush Gardens, but I can only remember that it was NOT Tampa, it was another city.  Want to say 'Williamsburg'... don't think that facility is still open.  But I remember not liking the rides, so I was in my early teens; we were in some sort of 'Bavarian Gasthouse' with a lot of beer which my Mom and Aunt let me have :).  Fond memories indeed.  Anyway, I avoid Auntie Annies in the mall (hell, I avoid shopping, let alone at a mall) because it isn't the same.  But at a baseball game... I'm without willpower.  Camden Yards was really bad for that, and I suppose my next pretzel will now remind me of Orioles' games.

• DeeRax likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

You know, it baffles me to hear about other people's lives and recognize that they're just as vivid as mine.

• coldform and DeeRax like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

You know, it baffles me to hear about other people's lives and recognize that they're just as vivid as mine.

that primordial link that is olfactory memory kept living things alive for the vast majority of existence, and still does.  the fact that you would start a conversation about smells realizing how deeply smell is tied into the fiber of your being, revealing extremely complex and intricate details about who you are,  and expect that it would be different than our connection to smell, and how many details can be revealed about a us when someone starts to exercise our olfactory memory.

Welcome to the human condition. and thanks for inspiration.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Oh and of course the deodorant/perfume someone really close to you uses or used.

The smell of your significant other without perfume or deodorant.

So, granted, I've no idea either of your preferences or anything of the like, but a male, and a female both not from the states, both happened to use both "perfume" and "deodorant". It may well be a coincidence, but in the states, I feel it'd be more likely to mention cologne, prior to deodorant, especially if you're mentioning perfume. Is cologne called perfume outside of our continent sized bubble?

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 16 January 2016 - 11:56 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

that primordial link that is olfactory memory kept living things alive for the vast majority of existence, and still does.  the fact that you would start a conversation about smells realizing how deeply smell is tied into the fiber of your being, revealing extremely complex and intricate details about who you are,  and expect that it would be different than our connection to smell, and how many details can be revealed about a us when someone starts to exercise our olfactory memory.

Welcome to the human condition. and thanks for inspiration.

mfw not even human

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
You can't really smell hugs, but I like hugs.
  • MomOw and Bergwein like this

AXgnWyr.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

You can't really smell hugs, but I like hugs.

You can't really smell 4 in the morning but it's time for me to go to bed.

• DallasCreeper likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

So, granted, I've no idea either of your preferences or anything of the like, but a male, and a female both not from the states, both happened to use both "perfume" and "deodorant". It may well be a coincidence, but in the states, I feel it'd be more likely to mention cologne, prior to deodorant, especially if you're mentioning perfume. Is cologne called perfume outside of our continent sized bubble?

Dunno about elsewhere but in France cologne is a category of perfume, more specifically a perfume which contains only 4-6% of essences. The most famous of them is the "Eau de Cologne", literally "Water of Cologne" and has the distinct smell that is associated with the smell.

There's;

• "eau de Parfum" -> Perfume Water -> 12- 20% essences
  • "eau de Toilette" -> Grooming Water -> 7 -12% essences
  • "eau de Cologne" -> Cologne Water -> 4 - 6% essences

Cologne is the one of the three that smells the most like alcohol in a sense.

No idea if abroad it's called "cologne" because the term came to designate all perfumes or if the cologne variant of men perfumes is the most successful. Personally cologne is the one I like the smell off the less, it's overpowering and I come to associate it with cheap perfumes in terms of odor. If cologne is used abroad because it is the most popular variant then I really encourage you to check non-cologne men perfumes, they smell less aggressive and there's a lot more variants, they have much deeper and broad smells as well.

edit: Found a link that explains it better. https://www.quora.co...tte-and-cologne

Basically that, if you want the real men perfume experience take parfum/perfume, cologne is the cheapest and lightest variant and the one that smells the most like the alcohol basis.

edit edit: fuzzy bunny, I sound like some sort of perfume nerd now. I just knew about the differences in France, searched for what the name means abroad and got excited to share what I learned. I love learning new stuff  :ohmy:

Edited by neon, 17 January 2016 - 02:39 AM.

• MomOw, Kopra, Bergwein and 1 other like this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

The smell of people you like and enjoy the company of. Totally not creepy at all

The smell of firing of a bullet from your rifle, for then the bullet hitting in the middle of the bullseye. 

• coldform and OdinTheWise like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

can you smell the bullseye getting hit?

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

can you smell the bullseye getting hit?

Rather the satisfaction from just getting the perfect shot. 5 times in a row. It`s like an orgasm except it isn`t as wet.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Rather the satisfaction from just getting the perfect shot. 5 times in a row. It`s like an orgasm except it isn`t as wet.

yeah I know that feeling from shooting my bow.

due to the arrow having traveltime there's even something more satisfying: releasing the arrow, knowing that you made the perfect shot before you hear the impact. 

• Aregon likes this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

A smoker with some venison jerky or salmon. We used to do venison jerky with a glaze sprayed on it. That glaze made the smoke smell so good. Eating jerky fresh from the smoker is the best.

Edit:  Also the smell of certain illicit plants as they grow.

Edited by PoopSlinger, 18 January 2016 - 10:15 AM.

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Is cologne called perfume outside of our continent sized bubble?

No, we just call it "Köln" or, when hailing from there, "Kölle".

• Bergwein likes this

Festivals end, as festivals must

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I personally associate the scents of deodorants and lotions with exes or friends/fwb I am or was comfortable around and physically near frequently and perfume with people I was only with once or twice. I think it's fairly normal to do that after you and your significant other are past the stage where you have to impress each other by looking/smelling better than usual and can act and dress casually.

Edited by Brumbpo Tungus, 17 January 2016 - 03:37 PM.

d1eZeG3.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

i love and alway will love the smell of burnt gunpowder from fireworks. the smells of ribs on the grill. the various scents of wild grasses and weeds from a freshly mowed field.

the smell of my grandfather's old sail boat. the the faint smell of algae and mildew on the fiberglass, mixed with the scent of weathered cedar. 

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

What neon said. And hellc.

Seriously though, I use "perfume" for pretty much anything that isn't deodorant.

But that's just me not being very educated in cosmetic products.

Concerning the preferences and the order of mentioning them... I guess it all depends on the memories that are linked with the smell. I for one associate most perfume smells with persons whom I encountered only in a, let's say more superficial situation and therefore I rarely like any. Deodorant on the other hand is something that suggests more familiarity, down-to-earth-ness and such things, while still being on a somewhat not-too-intimate relational level.

And then a persons original body odour is something you hardly like on anyone but your lover.

But then again all of this varies from person to person. Not even because of cultural differences like US/EU, but on an even smaller scale. Like, the circle of people who make for most of your enviroment. Ranging from a microcosmos where literally everyone wears heavy smells all the time and maybe even has a lot of different "eau de [insert french word here]" for every imaginable situation to groups of people who never use any such product and maybe even have very strong opinions on people who do use them and ... you get the idea.

I've touched this a little bit at the uni.

What I find even more interesting is that perfume and the likes are the smells everyone thinks about first when being concerned with "how do smells influence my perception of relation(ship)s". And that's because we exercise very direct control over them.

But there are a lot more. Starting with things like what brand of washing powder you use, what you eat, the smell you absorb from the places you frequent the most, then of course smoking tabacco or cannabis (which may or may not be something you feel very active control over) and so on and so forth.

TL;DR

Smells are interesting and one can be very nerdy about them.

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Nobody said rain on concrete? No? I mean how could you not love that smell.

Also, fresh winter air that stings your nose.

Spoiler

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Cats and simply a fresh forest air after a months of poisonous regular city poison..

and this parfume by tokyomilk is nice. Suposedly smells like paper and cotton

PAPERCOTTON-fullview111_large.jpg?v=1444

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
The smell of cut grass on a summers day.

And steak <3

(But not at the same time)
  • Aregon and Flight1ess like this

Spoiler

Flight1ess

Flight1ess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

The smell of your favorite food when you are really hungry.

And of course whatever smell you associate with good memories, our mind works in a funny way like that, the smell of a leather jacket and gasoline brings me back to some of the best memories i have. Oh and of course the deodorant/perfume someone really close to you uses or used.

I was going to write something down but you pretty  much summed up what I was going to say ggwp.

freshly baked bread and memories are my favorite tho :D

• LaurenEmily likes this

Life is like a good book,

It makes more sense as you get into it ;D

tumblr_m91v02mYjw1qhnj8eo4_r2_500.gif

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

I don't have a nose Voldemort.jpg

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

your own babies

• coldform likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

your own babies

This. So much this.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users