Photo

Let elite parts be able to be used on other mechs.

- - - - - cosmetic mech cool stuff

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Come on guys, I'd love to mix and match parts to make one heck of a Frankenstein mech (once I get all my mechs leveled, that's gonna take awhile. xD).  :tongue: What do you guys think?  Say yay or nay and tell why.

Here are some things though.

To be able to use said elite parts on different mechs, you must have the two mechs in question to be fully ranked.  The one you will take parts from, and the one you will put the parts on.  You can mix and match parts from different fully ranked mechs.  Also elite parts are LOCKED to mechs in the same class.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 02:04 PM.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Nay, it kind of takes away from the exclusivity of mech elite parts.  It's not a huge deal really though. I just don't like it.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
I say nay. The elite parts are a symbol of proficiency in that mech. You unlock them by leveling it up, and equip them to show that you are an "elite" pilot in that particular mech. I think that the elite parts are too unique to the mech that they represent. Just my two cents.
  • LaurenEmily likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I say yay under the condition that you have to have unlocked said part, and you still have to buy them from the store for 288 MC to equip them to another mech, that way you can if you want to and for fairly cheap, but it doesn't take away from it being an exclusive unlock for getting to that milestone.

This is a signature, revel in its glory.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I say nay. The elite parts are a symbol of proficiency in that mech. You unlock them by leveling it up, and equip them to show that you are an "elite" pilot in that particular mech. 

That is indeed true.  They do show that you have leveled up a mech to max.  That doesn't show proficiency though.  Proficiency is having 'high skill or a large amount of expertise'.  One could be very bad with a mech, but use it constantly until they get all the parts unlocked.  Granted, that's pretty rare and frustrating for most, and that many people would just move on to a mech they play better with.  It still doesn't show proficiency, as I could get into a clean slate Fred and absolutely murder others in it.  Do the elite parts make me a better pilot?  Nope, all it shows is that I was consistent in using the mech a lot.  Just saying.

Not to mention, I do not believe that the parts are 'too unique', as many people here on the forums have those very same parts.  Nothing is unique when you have an entire server filled with Elite Infils, Scouts, etc.  What would make those parts unique is on what mech they would use them on or in combination with.

It would also fit into the lore of Hawken, as pilots scrap together parts to make mechs.  Why not have an elite mech made out of different elite parts?

I say yay under the condition that you have to have unlocked said part, and you still have to buy them from the store for 288 MC to equip them to another mech, that way you can if you want to and for fairly cheap, but it doesn't take away from it being an exclusive unlock for getting to that milestone.

This is a given, maybe I should have been more specific.  I agree about the part that you have to work to be able to unlock said part.  However, I don't think it's fair to one who spent all that time to unlock parts just to pay MC to slap it on another mech.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 01:44 PM.

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

This is a given, maybe I should have been more specific.  I agree about the part that you have to work to be able to unlock said part.  However, I don't think it's fair to one who spent all that time to unlock parts just to pay MC to slap it on another mech.

Well that way you can't just immediately have a Predator that's rank 1, looking like a fully spec'd Raider. I'm just saying there should be some barrier from being able to immediately put it on any mech you choose after unlocking, since it wasn't originally part of how it worked. Just sayin'.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Well that way you can't just immediately have a Predator that's rank 1, looking like a fully spec'd Raider. I'm just saying there should be some barrier from being able to immediately put it on any mech you choose after unlocking, since it wasn't originally part of how it worked. Just sayin'.

How about this as a barrier:

Here are some things though.

To be able to use said elite parts on different mechs, you must have the two mechs in question to be fully ranked.  The one you will take parts from and the one you will put the parts on.   You can mix and match parts from different fully ranked mechs.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 01:58 PM.

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

That doesn't sound so bad, it at least makes it so that there's a barrier of skill(Or grinding) before you can start swapping parts on mechs.

• Hijinks_The_Turtle and Waelcyrge like this

AMISH KOMMANDER

AMISH KOMMANDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

the elite parts, if it does go through, should only be applied to the same Class. you shouldnt be able to put Class A arms on a C.

but then again it wouldnt be a great idea cuz when you rank up a mech youre acquiring pieces to form a unique look on the mech. there really shouldnt be a need to make a frankenstein mech imo.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

the elite parts, if it does go through, should only be applied to the same Class. you shouldnt be able to put Class A arms on a C.

but then again it wouldnt be a great idea cuz when you rank up a mech youre acquiring pieces to form a unique look on the mech. there really shouldnt be a need to make a frankenstein mech imo.

Dude, obviously the parts would be locked to same class only. XD  I should put that in the beginning part actually...

But the thing is that having those elite pieces on the same mech as everyone else isn't unique.  What's unique is putting on different mechs you've already had maxed out.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 02:03 PM.

• Brawler_Yukon likes this

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I could've sworn that was obvious, but I guess not.

• Hijinks_The_Turtle likes this

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Anyone else have opinions and stuff?

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

I wanna say no, they should be specific to that one mech only. I don't see how it would even look good mixing them together like that, they are so different in styles and looks. For example compare raider's elite skin to predator's, they are way too different to fit together. 

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I wanna say no, they should be specific to that one mech only. I don't see how it would even look good mixing them together like that, they are so different in styles and looks. For example compare raider's elite skin to predator's, they are way too different to fit together. 

That doesn't mean it wouldn't work well together.  Also, it is a choice to do so.  You don't have to mix and match if you don't want to. However, there are worse fashion statements that have already been made by a few of our esteemed members:

Of course, I also run my tech looking like this, so...

8us13eM.jpg

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 02:29 PM.

• bacon_avenger likes this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

That doesn't mean it wouldn't work well together.  Also, it is a choice to do so.  You don't have to mix and match if you don't want to. However, there are worse fashion statements that have already been made by a few of our esteemed members:

Well it is true that if you want to look ugly it is already very possible to do.

It would be super confusing to see a mech in a complete set of other mech's elite parts though, Imagine safely approaching that sharpshooter only to find out that it is actually a raider.

I guess i'm not really against the idea, it would just mess with people's heads a lot.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Well it is true that if you want to look ugly it is already very possible to do.

It would be super confusing to see a mech in a complete set of other mech's elite parts though, Imagine safely approaching that sharpshooter only to find out that it is actually a raider.

I guess i'm not really against the idea, it would just mess with people's heads a lot.

On the other hand, there are symbols that hover over other mechs that shows what type they are using.  Or look at the scoreboard and the symbol that shows what mech they are using is right beside their name.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 27 March 2015 - 02:45 PM.

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

You say that like that isn't something people do already. I've fought reapers that looked like tech, and infiltrators that pretend to be Scouts.

Edited by Brawler_Yukon, 27 March 2015 - 02:48 PM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

You say that like that isn't something people do already. I've fought reapers that looked like tech, and infiltrators that pretend to be Scouts.

I know they do it already and it's annoying, this would just increase the confusion even further i think..

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

sabrehawk90

sabrehawk90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

The barrier could include paying HC for it? But then again, inconsistency where you have to pay MC for other normal mech parts.

2XhpJes.png

Odra

Odra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I'd be happy if we could simply change the color of elite parts with a slider.

Still, it would be nice to swap elite parts as long as the receiving mech has also unlocked the same elite part slot.

• Plantblock and Hijinks_The_Turtle like this

cj19DGF.jpg

"Less Pew Pew; More EU!"

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

The barrier could include paying HC for it? But then again, inconsistency where you have to pay MC for other normal mech parts.

Did you read this part?  Here:

To be able to use said elite parts on different mechs, you must have the two mechs in question to be fully ranked.  The one you will take parts from, and the one you will put the parts on.  You can mix and match parts from different fully ranked mechs.  Also elite parts are LOCKED to mechs in the same class.

sabrehawk90

sabrehawk90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Yeah, but it's sort of inconsistent to have the normal parts be paid for by MC then have the elite parts by mech rank.

Like, if you're going to have the Elite parts restricted only by mech rank, might as well have normal parts too, right?

Oh well.

Edited by sabrehawk90, 27 March 2015 - 04:10 PM.

2XhpJes.png

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

I'm not sure if I should be honoured or insulted to have my tech used as an example... :tongue:

(There is a short story behind the camo choices used, if anyone is interested...)

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

I'm not sure if I should be honoured or insulted to have my tech used as an example... :tongue:

(There is a short story behind the camo choices used, if anyone is interested...)

Would love to hear what could possibly make you use that super 'personal' camo combination  :teehee:

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

You should feel honored. XD  I remember an old thread about purposely horrid combinations of colors, I wasn't able to find it fast enough... so I used your Tech instead.  You tech isn't even the worst, I remember one mech with purple, green and, orange-- all the camo skins had different patterns as well!

Yeah, but it's sort of inconsistent to have the normal parts be paid for by MC then have the elite parts by mech rank.

Like, if you're going to have the Elite parts restricted only by mech rank, might as well have normal parts too, right?

Oh well.

Hm.... That's true, but the fact that you have to grind mechs all the way to elite to get the parts to be fitted onto a mech that is fully ranked is a lot of time.  It's a reward for being persistent-- being able to outfit your favorite mech in cool parts.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 05:37 AM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

I remember an old thread about purposely horrid combinations of colors.

We should have a thread like that now, post the ugliest mechs you can find. Would be fun.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

We should have a thread like that now, post the ugliest mechs you can find. Would be fun.

Well.... I'd be out.  I can't make myself do that.  My mechs all have specific color combinations.

Anyway, are you still convinced it's a bad idea for elite parts to be interchangeable?

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 05:47 AM.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I'd say nay, I'm all for new ideas but as has been said before you unlock elite parts to show off your experience with one particular mech.

I'm not completely against the idea (I would love to give my assault the elite crt skin) I just don't think it fits.

BUT if it did you would have to pay MC for each part just like regular parts. Yes you earned it but you earned it for a completely different mech and it's still a cosmetic change.

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

*echo*

Nohp, Elite parts show prestige and skill in using a certain mech. This would defeat that.

dopual4fd3c.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

*echo*

Nohp, Elite parts show prestige and skill in using a certain mech. This would defeat that.

I don't believe it really shows skill per se.... 

They do show that you have leveled up a mech to max.  That doesn't show proficiency though.  Proficiency is having 'high skill or a large amount of expertise'.  One could be very bad with a mech, but use it constantly until they get all the parts unlocked.  Granted, that's pretty rare and frustrating for most, and that many people would just move on to a mech they play better with.  It still doesn't show proficiency, as I could get into a clean slate Fred and absolutely murder others in it.  Do the elite parts make me a better pilot?  Nope, all it shows is that I was consistent in using the mech a lot.  Just saying.

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Semantics.

After-thought, semantics kind of sounds like some-man-tits...

dopual4fd3c.png

sabrehawk90

sabrehawk90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I'd say nay, I'm all for new ideas but as has been said before you unlock elite parts to show off your experience with one particular mech.

I'm not completely against the idea (I would love to give my assault the elite crt skin) I just don't think it fits.

BUT if it did you would have to pay MC for each part just like regular parts. Yes you earned it but you earned it for a completely different mech and it's still a cosmetic change.

This would restrain things properly ^^

If it was the other way around we'd have a bunch of Rank 6 Infiltrators strutting around in elite Scout parts...

Trust me, it's significantly confusing.

Like this recent example that happened to me

"I was killed by a predator? Wo- aw shucks, they made their mech look entirely like an Assualt! That trickster! .-."

And I never noticed before I was blown up to scrap metal.

It just makes it more common to have mechs being... mechs they shouldn't be if the part switching isn't restrained properly

Hm.... That's true, but the fact that you have to grind mechs all the way to elite to get the parts to be fitted onto a mech that is fully ranked is a lot of time.  It's a reward for being persistent-- being able to outfit your favorite mech in cool parts.

But yeah, I can see the logic here.

Edited by sabrehawk90, 28 March 2015 - 07:48 AM.

2XhpJes.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

This would restrain things properly ^^

If it was the other way around we'd have a bunch of Rank 6 Infiltrators strutting around in elite Scout parts...

Trust me, it's significantly confusing.

Like this recent example that happened to me

"I was killed by a predator? Wo- aw shucks, they made their mech look entirely like an Assualt! That trickster! .-."

And I never noticed before I was blown up to scrap metal.

*cough*

On the other hand, there are symbols that hover over other mechs that shows what type they are using.  Or look at the scoreboard and the symbol that shows what mech they are using is right beside their name.

The point is that there are already things in-game that prevent that.  Not to mention that people trick out their mechs to look like other mechs anyway.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 08:42 AM.

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

^guilty, I'm actually in the process of Fred'ing most of my Bclass mechs since fred is love, fred is lyfe.

• Crminimal likes this

dopual4fd3c.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

^guilty, I'm actually in the process of Fred'ing most of my Bclass mechs since fred is love, fred is lyfe.

A bit off topic but yes.  All hail our glorious TV overlords.

20150326_135358.jpg

LET HIM DEVOUR YOUR SOUL-*cough*

Anyway... you see people?  It already happens.  Besides, it's something that wears off.  People have to realize there are other ways to check if that CRT you're aiming at is actually a Raider.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 10:44 AM.

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

*cough*

The point is that there are already things in-game that prevent that.  Not to mention that people trick out their mechs to look like other mechs anyway.

What is sucks is CRT's that look like assaults and vice versa. Seriously, I was in a match yesterday and THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM was all Fred's(/assaults in disguise) save for 1 raider, it was  a bit of a mind boggler.

Bibbly

Bibbly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I support the idea of the components in question to be locked to mech class - and a fee 3,500MC (beause 35 hundred is atainable and almost too much) to unlock said parts.

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I support the idea of the components in question to be locked to mech class - and a fee 3,500MC (beause 35 hundred is atainable and almost too much) to unlock said parts.

You're saying I need to spend $25 just for a single mech, are you serious? That's insane.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I think he meant HC

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I really hope you mean HC and not MC pal.  Might wanna fix that.

• Waelcyrge likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cosmetic, mech, cool stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users