Photo

The lobby and player retention between rounds.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Hustler01

Hustler01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

A lot of people complain that most of the lobby empties between rounds. Winning players leave to chase the next daily win bonus, losers leave for a variety of reasons. The rest of the players see everyone else leave and leave because everyone else did.

I would like to see map(and/or game mode) voting between rounds and a decrease to the countdown timer between rounds.

I'd really like to see a small modifier to earnings(.5% for each game up to 3%?) for playing multiple games in a row in the same lobby.

I think encouraging people to stay in the same lobby over multiple rounds will go a long way to alleviating some of the issue.

• Trinnexx, LaurenEmily and spo0n like this

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I don't know if I should comment since I always leave after a win to go get the DWB, but if they added bonuses to MC for staying I think I might stick around a bit. But I have no clear way of keeping players in a given lobby, so I'm probably not going to be much help.

This is a signature, revel in its glory.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

It would be a good idea to reward players who stay IMO. Just a small amount of credits would probably encourage a lot of people.

It's annoying to find a new server after every game and it also has a negative effect on balance.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

2 things:

1. The Daily Win Bonus needs to be altered. Spread it among multiple games, with a multiplier for each. Incentivize staying in the lobby. See also crockrocket's suggested Salvage system if you want something more fluffy as opposed to just code tweaks. This can also be used to lessen the perceived grind until the store gets sorted out - by making the total HC gained higher assuming max games played and multipliers, dedicated people will be earning more HC and those in for a few games will earn about the same as a current Daily. Additionally, you can set it up so that the payout is higher if you win, but the multiplier still affects earned HC, meaning the impact of losses is lessened.

2. A minute post-game is too long. Period. Where before some players were saying they didn't have enough time to chat/look over stats we now have hard numbers telling us that one minute is too long for lobby retention purposes. Cut the time.

Edited by Amidatelion, 28 March 2015 - 11:38 AM.

• comic_sans likes this

Hellstorm79

Hellstorm79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I agree that if they added a small HC modifier per round that would kick booty. Even make it 100% first round, 105% 2nd, and then cap it at like 140 or whatever the devs are comfortable with. I mean its not like we don't have enough stuff to buy

• Brawler_Yukon likes this

Hellstorm79

Hellstorm79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

" 2. A minute post-game is too long. Period. Where before some players were saying they didn't have enough time to chat/look over stats we now have hard numbers telling us that one minute is too long for lobby retention purposes. Cut the time. "

That's pretty damn sad for anyone who feels that way or it applies to. ADHD much? If you are bored in 60 seconds then yeah you need take some Adderall and chill the hell out. Really you shouldn't even be playing video games because it makes ADHD worse. If you aren't ADHD and you feel this way you are just an impatient brat who will learn eventually why this is not a good way to be. Think about this, most of the players I've been in matches with are so impulsive, and impatient that TWENTY SECONDS waiting for the match to start is too much to stand still. It's extremely sad and won't go well for these generations later in life and even now in real life.

Edited by Hellstorm79, 28 March 2015 - 11:44 AM.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

" 2. A minute post-game is too long. Period. Where before some players were saying they didn't have enough time to chat/look over stats we now have hard numbers telling us that one minute is too long for lobby retention purposes. Cut the time. "

That's pretty damn sad for anyone who feels that way or it applies to. ADHD much? If you are bored in 60 seconds then yeah you need take some Adderall and chill the hell out. Really you shouldn't even be playing video games because it makes ADHD worse. If you aren't ADHD and you feel this way you are just an impatient brat who will learn eventually why this is not a good way to be. Think about this, most of the players I've been in matches with are so impulsive, and impatient that TWENTY SECONDS waiting for the match to start is too much to stand still. It's extremely sad and won't go well for these generations later in life and even now in real life.

Please continue to make personal attacks while being unaware of both who and what you are talking about.

Hellstorm79

Hellstorm79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

A, I am a psychologist so I know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

B. It's interesting you took it as a personal attack when it was quite clearly a statement about an entire section of society. Shall I get cross you can nail yourself to?

And please, continue to expect EVERYONE else to accommodate YOUR impatience.

Edited by Hellstorm79, 28 March 2015 - 12:10 PM.

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

B. It's interesting you took it as a personal attack when it was quite clearly a statement about an entire section of society. Shall I get cross you can nail yourself to?

"I am a psychologist ...Shall I get cross you can nail yourself to?"

I dont believe you.

Also, the timer is way too long. Not that it bothers me, but I know its the reason a lot of people leave. It really boils down to a math problem, is it quicker to stay, or quicker to leave, and rejoin another game in progress?

Edited by teeth_03, 28 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

• ReEvolve likes this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:18 PM.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

A) No one believes you.

B) I did take it as a personal attack, as will many members of this forums who are actually ADHD and manage to be pilots of good standing and skill. I took it as a personal attack because that was your intent as is clear from your choice of words and tone, which was insulting and denigrating of a treatable mental disorder as well as its treatment.

Let me break down why I said you were unawareignorant of who you and what you are talking about.  I invite you to ask some people who have attended community events with me and ask them how many times I've had to be told, "Amid, the server's empty" because I tend to stick around after a match, either alt-tabbed or in my garage making my mechs look pretty. You painted broad strokes while largely ignorant of the individual you were talking about and based your erroneous judgement on a point you think comes from my personal opinion.

In point of fact I was referencing multiple polls and discussions had on the old forums, on IRC, in Steam Forums and on the Reddit concerning the fact that many people feel that increasing the in-between match time to one minute was excessive and the majority felt that it could do with a reduction. I don't expect you to know about all of these, but it would be nice if you didn't make judgements based in ignorance of the game and discussions revolving around it.

So your rude, insulting and denigrating remarks regarding people with ADHD are both off the mark and completely unwarranted. But please, if you would like to be further dismissed by the community at large as ignorant and irrelevant, you have all the rope necessary to hang yourself at this point; continue.

• Jaquio, spo0n and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

Brawler_Yukon

Brawler_Yukon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Also, the timer is way too long. Not that it bothers me, but I know its the reason a lot of people leave. It really boils down to a math problem, is it quicker to stay, or quicker to leave, and rejoin another game in progress?

The answer to that is easy. it's 1000x easier to just leave and jump into an already happening match than it is to stay and wait for your own match to fill back up.

(I'd talk about the ADHD thing, but that really has no place in this discussion as it's off topic, started for personal vindication, and ultimately a pointless discussion since it solves nothing.)

Edited by Brawler_Yukon, 28 March 2015 - 01:27 PM.

• ReEvolve likes this

This is a signature, revel in its glory.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
Here's what I envision. Granted, I could be completely off with what it takes to implement these.

1. Easier to implement: shortened time between matches.
2. Little more difficult, but not crazy: generic hc rewards for staying for consecutive matches
3. Hard to implement, so long term if at all: the salvage system in order to make the reward unique and provide incentive for pilots who dont need hc. Plus, lore is good.
  • spo0n, Brawler_Yukon and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

spo0n

spo0n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

As someone who takes D-Amphetamin for my ADD, I take extreme offense to your statement. 'Doctor'. 

Not a medical doctor, he said psychologist not psychiatrist.

Also, trying to recommend medication and treatment without meeting in person is not something anyone with a medical license they could lose would do.

I'm guessing psyc student.  Maybe in grad school.  Most likely doing research as inter-personal skills seem aggressive.

Back on topic:
When the minute delay was added it was before we could change axes without leaving the server.  The dev response was along the lines of 'once we let you change things in server you will think one minute is too short!' without anyone figuring out the obvious problem.

The delay is too short to customize more than one or two parts, especially if you need to buy something.

The delay is too long to get back into the action as quickly as players want.

The post match delay right now is a compromise that did not work.  It should be changed.  This is in addition to other changes.

The only thing the delay is good for is smoking.

Jaquio

Jaquio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

The only thing the delay is good for is smoking.

There's only one thing I can load and smoke in a minute, and it sure isn't a cig.

• comic_sans and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

The delay is too long from a continued play perspective; back when I used to play CoD nonsense, the time between rounds was almost too short, but this had the effect of me saying "dang, I missed the cutoff.  May as well play another" instead of just leaving to do whatever else like I'd planned.  The frequency and consistency of dopamine hits is a strong driving factor behind any successful game.

Also, I've never met a psychologist that rude, and my dad's the president of Psychology, so I'd know.

Edited by comic_sans, 29 March 2015 - 06:20 AM.

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Hellstorm79

Hellstorm79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I'm guessing psyc student.  Maybe in grad school.  Most likely doing research as inter-personal skills seem aggressive.

Very smart guess. I'm also 6.1 260lbs and tatted from shoulders to waist. That's more why my skills are aggressive. IRL people rarely have the balls to talk to me the way these guys do online. Which brings me to my point.

I'm researching online multiplayer games and the anti social interpersonal behaviors they create. See the internet has no accountability. All these people ranting in here at my statement which is factually correct and supported by the research that there is a direct correllation between ADHD and video games. Why do you think this particular subject attracted my attention? Either way I really don't care who believes what it has no effect on reality. The truth is that the gaming community along with 4chan hackers have accomplished some interesting things which has gotten the attention of researchers. Death threats over the end of Mass Effect 3?  The publishing of personal private information including banking and credit card info, you guys know the whole gamersgate thing yes? If you want to look at the research for ADHD and Video games you need to do a Meta analysis. The problem is there is a CRAP ton of studies on it and they don't all say the same thing. This is common is research as are a meta analysis. 

And thank you all for proving me right. Because if it hadn't offended you so much then I wouldn't have been able to confirm it's true. 

Hellstorm79

Hellstorm79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Oh an the funniest part of all of this? I'm ADHD and my son is as well. This "those of us who actually have it" can cut the crap. 

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Regardless of your intent and whoever you claim to be, speaking aggressively, disrespectfully, and rudely does nothing to help your credibility. It won't matter if everything you say is correct. It won't matter if you're 6'1" and tattooed. It doesn't even matter who you are or what you look like. If you're an ass towards others, then nobody cares. You'll be ridiculed not for your arrogant display of knowledge but rather for your apparent lack of manners.

If you want to say something, do it nicely. The world will be a better place.

Edited by Silverfire, 29 March 2015 - 12:43 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

i have had good match retention personally

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
Inb4 the lock and/or deletion
  • KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Anyway, back on topic.

How about: a 30 second timer where players have to sit and wait through.  Giving players a quick break is nice.  Once 30 seconds are up, players can queue up and start marking a "ready" status to force a server rollover to the next map.  If 75% of the players mark a "ready status" then the server will rotate to the next map automatically.  If there are not enough players to ready up, the server will rotate after a minute regardless.  From there, players can then join the server as how it usually works as it does now.

Edited by Silverfire, 29 March 2015 - 01:32 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

I'm not a doctor, but I play one in Hawken.

Then I leave after round end.

Cuz it's awkward and everyone is probably reading my mind.

Unless I stay. Under an assumed name.

Cuz the people in that particular game are pretty chill.

Spoiler

• LaurenEmily likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

HoneyBoomBoom

HoneyBoomBoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Hope this doesn't lost amongst the waving of appendages in this thread, but... 

I was poking around and came across the New Game Mode thread.  BaconOverlord had an idea for a game mode that cycles through the different modes.  Giving that some thought, as I posted there, it could potentially help with the issue of players jumping from game to game on their quest for the daily win bonus.  If you have a circuit of the different modes in one place, then players could stay on the same server, play until they get their win bonuses and then go out into the rest of the Hawken world to play for fun.

It wouldn't address those that jump servers to avoid getting stomped, or to get into a new game sooner (which usually results in a lack of balance in their newly joined game, which results in someone getting stomped, and the server emptying out at the end of the match in an endless loop) but it might help alleviate SOME of those players from leaving if they've already earned their DWB.

Just a thought on someone else's thought in a thread that didn't get much traction.

• crockrocket likes this

Trinnexx

Trinnexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I'd really like to see a small modifier to earnings(.5% for each game up to 3%?) for playing multiple games in a row in the same lobby.

This is a really good idea, I support it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users