Photo

One of the most, if not the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

When I buy a game with dollars, ordinarily I'm looking to get roughly an hour of enjoyment per dollar. In a day and age where I can wait for a steam sale and pick stuff up for $15 or below (see Rainbow Six Siege, which I'm beginning to tire of roughly 30 hours of gametime in) this is actually quite easy to do.

Excluding Hawken or other F2P games with stupid divide-by-zero ratios, the best game in an "hours enjoyed/dollar" ratio is Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Hands down. I have about two thousand hours spread across several accounts, and even then, I've put about $500 or more into the game. That still comes back to about 4 hours enjoyed on the dollar. (Even though I never once paid full price for the game itself. If we ignore all the money I've spent on custom skins, the real ratio is much, much higher.)

But now I'm going to talk to you about a game I have 9 hours in. It's a game I picked up for $40. I don't know if I'll ever get as involved in it as I've been in Hawken or CS GO, but it's a game that if it suddenly vanished, this instant, I'd sit back and say "that was worth the purchase."

header.jpg?t=1459020231

Squad - in case the image doesn't load.

Like I said, I spent $40 on this game. It's also in "Alpha". I rarely put real money on early access games, and even less often spend close to what I'd spend on a AAA title.

The Game

The graphics are nothing special, it's crashed on me more than a handful of times, but nonetheless, for me, it's been worth the purchase. As I stated in another post, it's a military-sim. Obviously it focuses on the combat side of the military, but I'm pleased to say, they've really done will sticking to the necessities here. In a minute, I'll describe what really keeps me coming back, but for now, I'll describe the game itself. It's pretty barebones. It's "class based" but the only thing that changes from class to class is what you're carrying - and nothing special. Some people have more bandages than others, some have binoculars, some have a scope on their rifle, others are designated marksmen, and a couple people on each team are squad leaders. Everyone runs at the same speed, no one has "special abilities" (sorry Sparky, no fast for you), and everyone takes the same amount of damage before going down.

There's bullet drop, and the bullets are projectiles, and they're shot across truly vast maps. I'm talking maps that in a game that is frequently played with over 70 people in a game, you can run for several minutes without hearing a shot. They're big, and dying can be a real inconvenience. This isn't a game that you run around willy nilly on your own taking potshots at strangers. It's a game where if you're downed, you can either choose to spawn at a location of your choice - limited by where your squad leader and team mates have put the spawn points (and also will take time) or you can wait for a medic to make his way over to you and patch you up - and often, even if you have to wait a minute or two for a pause in a firefight or for a medic to run a while, it's worth it to wait.

It's objective based. So far, the only game mode I've really focused on is AAS or Advance and Secure. It's reminiscent of the Onslaught game mode in UT2k4. You advance across the map, capturing points in order. In this game mode, you don't actually have to capture all the points. Capturing a point gives you additional tickets, and tickets are what permit players to respawn without a medic. When you run out of tickets, you lose. There isn't any straight deathmatch or team deathmatch game mode, and frankly, it just wouldn't work here. You have big teams, but the maps are plenty large enough that that sort of thing could go on for hours if there weren't set locations to take.

Speaking of those big teams, you aren't just dumped in a pile trying to yell over 30 different people.

The Hook

At the start of each game, you have two minutes for your team to sort things out. That is, two minutes to create squads, define roles, formulate a plan, and communicate it with the other squads. Squads have a maximum of 9 or 10 people depending on the number of players in game. What's most common is a 72 player game where each team has four squads of nine - though you're not limited by that, and can have five or six squads of less if you choose.

At the head of each squad is a squad leader. Squad leaders, in addition to being responsible for leading the squad, are responsible for setting up your spawn points - FOBs and rally points. FOBs can be used by your whole team, while rally points can only be used by your squad, and only for a limited duration. They are also the only ones who have a direct line of communication with the leaders of other squads.

So why is this game worth at least $4.50 an hour to me, when my usual bar is $0.50 - $1.00 an hour?

It's big enough that a single person can't mess up the whole game for everyone, whether they teamkill or leave early or are just AFK. That's not the reason, it's just one of the variables in the final reason. Another variable is that despite the size, communication is never cluttered. As a non-squad leader, you can communicate by radio with members of your squad, or you can communicate "by voice" with friendlies in your immediate vicinity. Those are the only two factors I can really identify that contribute to the real reason. There must be a third or fourth or fifth, but I have no idea what they are.

The real reason is that in 85% of the games I've played, everyone actually, legitimately, voluntarily works together. I don't know how the game accomplishes this. I really don't. There's no ranking system that "forces" people to take the game seriously, there's no report function or rating system for other players, but for whatever reason, in this game where you play with between 30 and 50 other people on a single team, everyone has some mentality of teamwork. Most squad leaders actually give direction to their squads, actually listen to them, actually work with other squad leaders to manage the whole team, and actually have an effect on the game. Most players actually give feedback, actually spot enemies, actually participate in coordinated attacks, and actually follow the directions of the squad leader. It's magical, and in the nine hours I've been here, I've found Squad is giving every other multiplayer game I've ever a played a hard run for their money for the title of "best multiplayer gaming experience".

Squad does something right. I don't know all the variables at play, but the end result is immensely satisfying, whether you're pinned down in a ten minute firefight shouting directions to your team and locations of enemies, or whether you've been dead for a minute and a half waiting for a medic and are getting a greater picture of the map and player movements or locations, or you're just running half a kilometer through the woods in a northerly direction just bullshitting with strangers on the internet. It's satisfying.

It may not be your cup of tea, but check out the reviews if you'd like and you'll see a ton of people share the exact same sentiment.

A note to players using AMD hardware - don't get the game right now. AMD support on Squad is very poor and you will experience game breaking crashes.

• crockrocket likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

The graphics are nothing special, it's crashed on me more than a handful of times,

Stopped reading.

Could buy Overwatch for that money.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Stopped reading.

Could buy Overwatch for that money.

You could get TF2 for free.

• dorobo and KejiGoto like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
Stop buying games in alpha tickle, this is an intervention
  • PoopSlinger, Elite_is_salty, Miscellaneous and 5 others like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Stop buying games in alpha tickle, this is an intervention

The only game I've ever regretted buying in Alpha was Toxikk
  • Zdragow and Merl61 like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

i regretted diablo 3, d2 was the best though

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Valid. It would also not crash and have better graphics than that.

No, but seriously. What you're describing is something I might throw $10-20 at. $40 is not worth constant crashes.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

The only game I've ever regretted buying in Alpha was Toxikk

Don't we all

• Zdragow likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

When I buy a game with dollars, ordinarily I'm looking to get roughly an hour of enjoyment per dollar. In a day and age where I can wait for a steam sale and pick stuff up for $15 or below (see Rainbow Six Siege, which I'm beginning to tire of roughly 30 hours of gametime in) this is actually quite easy to do.

Excluding Hawken or other F2P games with stupid divide-by-zero ratios, the best game in an "hours enjoyed/dollar" ratio is Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Hands down. I have about two thousand hours spread across several accounts, and even then, I've put about $500 or more into the game. That still comes back to about 4 hours enjoyed on the dollar. (Even though I never once paid full price for the game itself. If we ignore all the money I've spent on custom skins, the real ratio is much, much higher.)

But now I'm going to talk to you about a game I have 9 hours in. It's a game I picked up for $40. I don't know if I'll ever get as involved in it as I've been in Hawken or CS GO, but it's a game that if it suddenly vanished, this instant, I'd sit back and say "that was worth the purchase."

header.jpg?t=1459020231

Squad - in case the image doesn't load.

Like I said, I spent $40 on this game. It's also in "Alpha". I rarely put real money on early access games, and even less often spend close to what I'd spend on a AAA title.

The Game

The graphics are nothing special, it's crashed on me more than a handful of times, but nonetheless, for me, it's been worth the purchase. As I stated in another post, it's a military-sim. Obviously it focuses on the combat side of the military, but I'm pleased to say, they've really done will sticking to the necessities here. In a minute, I'll describe what really keeps me coming back, but for now, I'll describe the game itself. It's pretty barebones. It's "class based" but the only thing that changes from class to class is what you're carrying - and nothing special. Some people have more bandages than others, some have binoculars, some have a scope on their rifle, others are designated marksmen, and a couple people on each team are squad leaders. Everyone runs at the same speed, no one has "special abilities" (sorry Sparky, no fast for you), and everyone takes the same amount of damage before going down.

There's bullet drop, and the bullets are projectiles, and they're shot across truly vast maps. I'm talking maps that in a game that is frequently played with over 70 people in a game, you can run for several minutes without hearing a shot. They're big, and dying can be a real inconvenience. This isn't a game that you run around willy nilly on your own taking potshots at strangers. It's a game where if you're downed, you can either choose to spawn at a location of your choice - limited by where your squad leader and team mates have put the spawn points (and also will take time) or you can wait for a medic to make his way over to you and patch you up - and often, even if you have to wait a minute or two for a pause in a firefight or for a medic to run a while, it's worth it to wait.

It's objective based. So far, the only game mode I've really focused on is AAS or Advance and Secure. It's reminiscent of the Onslaught game mode in UT2k4. You advance across the map, capturing points in order. In this game mode, you don't actually have to capture all the points. Capturing a point gives you additional tickets, and tickets are what permit players to respawn without a medic. When you run out of tickets, you lose. There isn't any straight deathmatch or team deathmatch game mode, and frankly, it just wouldn't work here. You have big teams, but the maps are plenty large enough that that sort of thing could go on for hours if there weren't set locations to take.

Speaking of those big teams, you aren't just dumped in a pile trying to yell over 30 different people.

The Hook

At the start of each game, you have two minutes for your team to sort things out. That is, two minutes to create squads, define roles, formulate a plan, and communicate it with the other squads. Squads have a maximum of 9 or 10 people depending on the number of players in game. What's most common is a 72 player game where each team has four squads of nine - though you're not limited by that, and can have five or six squads of less if you choose.

At the head of each squad is a squad leader. Squad leaders, in addition to being responsible for leading the squad, are responsible for setting up your spawn points - FOBs and rally points. FOBs can be used by your whole team, while rally points can only be used by your squad, and only for a limited duration. They are also the only ones who have a direct line of communication with the leaders of other squads.

So why is this game worth at least $4.50 an hour to me, when my usual bar is $0.50 - $1.00 an hour?

It's big enough that a single person can't mess up the whole game for everyone, whether they teamkill or leave early or are just AFK. That's not the reason, it's just one of the variables in the final reason. Another variable is that despite the size, communication is never cluttered. As a non-squad leader, you can communicate by radio with members of your squad, or you can communicate "by voice" with friendlies in your immediate vicinity. Those are the only two factors I can really identify that contribute to the real reason. There must be a third or fourth or fifth, but I have no idea what they are.

The real reason is that in 85% of the games I've played, everyone actually, legitimately, voluntarily works together. I don't know how the game accomplishes this. I really don't. There's no ranking system that "forces" people to take the game seriously, there's no report function or rating system for other players, but for whatever reason, in this game where you play with between 30 and 50 other people on a single team, everyone has some mentality of teamwork. Most squad leaders actually give direction to their squads, actually listen to them, actually work with other squad leaders to manage the whole team, and actually have an effect on the game. Most players actually give feedback, actually spot enemies, actually participate in coordinated attacks, and actually follow the directions of the squad leader. It's magical, and in the nine hours I've been here, I've found Squad is giving every other multiplayer game I've ever a played a hard run for their money for the title of "best multiplayer gaming experience".

Squad does something right. I don't know all the variables at play, but the end result is immensely satisfying, whether you're pinned down in a ten minute firefight shouting directions to your team and locations of enemies, or whether you've been dead for a minute and a half waiting for a medic and are getting a greater picture of the map and player movements or locations, or you're just running half a kilometer through the woods in a northerly direction just bullshitting with strangers on the internet. It's satisfying.

It may not be your cup of tea, but check out the reviews if you'd like and you'll see a ton of people share the exact same sentiment.

A note to players using AMD hardware - don't get the game right now. AMD support on Squad is very poor and you will experience game breaking crashes.

this sounds like a game i discovered by chance at a neighbors house in junk called joint operations typhoon rising, great great game akin to battlefield/arma large scale combat many vehicles all projectile with rangefinding snipers that fire realistic far ranges 

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Valid. It would also not crash and have better graphics than that.

No, but seriously. What you're describing is something I might throw $10-20 at. $40 is not worth constant crashes.

TF2 does not have better graphics. Also the crashes aren't constant. Maybe once every two or three hours, and most common is when you're trying to join a server, not mid game - though it does happen - and even then, I'm pretty positive it's strictly me that experiences these crashes. I can't find evidence of other people experiencing them the same as me. I'm not saying buy the game, I'm just sharing an unexpected and worthwhile gaming experience.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 17 June 2016 - 01:02 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Hah! Off-topic, I knew it

Ic6j9zJ.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

TF2 does not have better graphics. Also the crashes aren't constant. Maybe once every two or three hours, and most common is when you're trying to join a server, not mid game - though it does happen - and even then, I'm pretty positive it's strictly me that experiences these crashes. I can't find evidence of other people experiencing them the same as me. I'm not saying buy the game, I'm just sharing an unexpected and worthwhile gaming experience.

Anything more than once a week is constant. Once a day I could handle if I really liked the game. Once two or three hours? No.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Anything more than once a week is constant. Once a day I could handle if I really liked the game. Once two or three hours? No.

Ok, well, don't have the same setup I have.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Squad: The last thing my team will be working as.

I'll give it a go when my brain agrees with my hand when it reaches for my wallet.

Tickle, if I get this game I expect you to play it with me and I expect you to be drunk, just as I will be caffeine and sugar fueled.

DON'T THINK YOU'RE IN THE CLEAR JUST YET AMID, YOU'RE COMING WITH US TOO.

• Zdragow likes this

AXgnWyr.png

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

BF2 reality mod. I played that. It's the same devs or part of them.. making Squad. Maybe that's why players cooperate.. but ye i had very intense moments in that. Original BF2 was this shallow thing and reality mod was something else :)

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

lol didnt read 

i will say that this game is the new up and commer and is updated very regularly with interesting new things. it shows promis

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

you mentioned don't buy if you have amd and then I closed the thread

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

you mentioned don't buy if you have amd and then I closed the thread

So basically you read the whole post

Squad: The last thing my team will be working as.

I'll give it a go when my brain agrees with my hand when it reaches for my wallet.

Tickle, if I get this game I expect you to play it with me and I expect you to be drunk, just as I will be caffeine and sugar fueled.

DON'T THINK YOU'RE IN THE CLEAR JUST YET AMID, YOU'RE COMING WITH US TOO.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 17 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Screw TF2, get planetside 2 for free its got a bigger map i assure you, and basically everything else he said except improved, it also has a huge playerbase with good outfit/clan system. So, yeah

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Screw TF2, get planetside 2 for free its got a bigger map i assure you, and basically everything else he said except improved, it also has a huge playerbase with good outfit/clan system. So, yeah

Maps

Plural. In my limited experience, PS2 is nothing like Squad.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Maps
Plural. In my limited experience, PS2 is nothing like Squad.

As far as quantity, I assume there is more than 4 maps, so you do have ps2 beat. Just my opinion.

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

As far as quantity, I assume there is more than 4 maps, so you do have ps2 beat. Just my opinion.

I honestly have no idea how many maps there are. They're big enough that I can play quite a few games without realizing I'm playing on the same map. I do think there's more than four though.
  • KOS_Baconman likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

There's always the ungodly PS2 Learning curve. <1 second TTK is pretty unforgiving. 

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

promo_humvee.jpg

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I have played Planetside 2 and spent some money on it.
I have a couple of Station cash cards that I haven't even redeemed as the game was Ok, but has some grindy P2W-ish elements (with a <0.5sec TTK that benefits from low ping and deadly accurate headshots) and I have more fun in Hawken when it comes down to my limited game time.
If squad has less P2W feel and the map size and respawn times encourages better teamwork and less soloing then that's great.
I don't have an issue with the cost itself, but at the moment my issue is the value from that money when dividing my game time across multiple games. Will keep it in mind though.

Edited by 6ixxer, 28 June 2016 - 10:34 PM.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

the second i realized this was talking about a NON hawken game on the hawken forums....

I stopped reading...

0 fuzzy bunnys givin

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

the second i realized this was talking about a NON hawken game on the hawken forums....

I stopped reading...

0 fuzzy bunnys givin

At least it's in Off Topic this time.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users