• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

So I had this idea while frolicking through a particularly dark part of Origin.

What if each map had a counterpart which was exactly the same but submerged in complete darkness (aside from the odd light in the terrain or something, I don't know).

So we wouldn't be literally taking shots in the dark, each mech has floodlights fixed somewhere on it's chassis.

No idea how difficult/easy this would be to implement, so forgive me if it's like, the hardest thing in the world.

Been sitting on this idea for some time now and I thought I'd share it.  

Thoughts would be appreciated ^^

• Miscellaneous, DisorderlyMechanic, comic_sans and 1 other like this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I like the idea of complete darkness, so you only see your flashlight (and the enemy one's ofcourse as well). More sneaky action!

Also be able to turn of the lights.

But complete darkness without lights, you should see nothing :]

• HorseHeadProphet likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Broham78

Broham78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Night fighting, rain and snow.

Ice Ice baby..

High winds that neutralize AC spam. 

Awe yiss

(Also unlock winter eco nao!)

• CrimsonKaim and Vickmann like this

wGoUz2B.gif

1Prometheus1

1Prometheus1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ayyy 1+ for my fuzzy bunny here

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Wait wasn't this my idea? Lol

Ima go find my old suggestions and copy it here XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

DisorderlyMechanic

DisorderlyMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I like this idea but i don't want to go against pred or infiltrator in total darkness, it would give them a clear advantage

• Vickmann likes this

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
https://community.pl...4-new-map-idea/
https://community.pl...=night#entry179

Here are two links of a brain storm we did

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

So I had this idea while frolicking through a particularly dark part of Origin.

What if each map had a counterpart which was exactly the same but submerged in complete darkness (aside from the odd light in the terrain or something, I don't know).

So we wouldn't be literally taking shots in the dark, each mech has floodlights fixed somewhere on it's chassis.

No idea how difficult/easy this would be to implement, so forgive me if it's like, the hardest thing in the world.

Been sitting on this idea for some time now and I thought I'd share it.  

Thoughts would be appreciated ^^

One thing.

Pred ability OP.

The ability is literally heat vision. Unless when the light it shone on the stealthed Pred then it'd do something - flash a light or something.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Lol guys read my other posts in the threads and tell meh what u think XD

https://community.pl...4-new-map-idea/
https://community.pl...=night#entry179

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

I want a map with rain falling, lightning and thunder so badly.

• Vickmann likes this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Simple way to get bunker some love: make it snow so hard that you can't see 5 meters past you and you have to navigate in the storm

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Last time it snowed in Hawken it tanked everyone's FPS. I went from a 90-100 FPS average on low everything to a 15-20 FPs average on low everything.
  • MomOw and Derpy Hooves like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Last time it snowed in Hawken it tanked everyone's FPS. I went from a 90-100 FPS average on low everything to a 15-20 FPs average on low everything.

Hawken tanks bad when any kind of weather effect is applied, with the way the physics are calculated it just crushes even the mightiest of CPU/GPU combos. The physics for the game would need to be rewritten before this can even be thought of. Including the nighttime part, that would take so much time calculation wise for shadows, light scatter, possible ambient occlusion for better shadows, specular maps, the list runs on and on, so much would need to be done before it ever became a reality.

tTIViUr.png

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Good point .... I didn't think the night maps would be that hard but that makes sense... XD

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Hawken tanks bad when any kind of weather effect is applied, with the way the physics are calculated it just crushes even the mightiest of CPU/GPU combos. The physics for the game would need to be rewritten before this can even be thought of. Including the nighttime part, that would take so much time calculation wise for shadows, light scatter, possible ambient occlusion for better shadows, specular maps, the list runs on and on, so much would need to be done before it ever became a reality.

couldn't they simply turn down, for lack of a better word, the "brightness" on the map? create the illusion of darkness?

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Meh maybe...

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

couldn't they simply turn down, for lack of a better word, the "brightness" on the map? create the illusion of darkness?

Moment you change anything on a wide scale, it's gotta new calculate shadows that weren't there before but are there now, one of Hawken's biggest problems is there are no specular maps what so ever. Even when at the highest settings, the shadows and other lighting effects feel very fake the AO option, sure it helps darken shadows to make them look a bit more real, but that's all the more it can do. Taking a bit from Nvidia here, "Ambient occlusion is a technique used in production to approximate the effect of environment lighting. Unlike the dull, flat look of local lighting models, ambient occlusion can add realism to a scene by accentuating small surface details and adding soft shadows." ambient occlusion can't do it's job well if it can't really differ light from dark. Hence why when the setting is turned on the overall scene looks darker, since it's considering everything to be a shadow. It can even get messier, when you consider in the various forms of AO, Screen Space AO, Horizon Based AO, Nvidia's own HBAO+ and AMD's HDAO. It's something that requires already pre-existing good light and specular maps which is something Hawken doesn't really have at this time. It's possible the new devs can look into it to fix and bring into the game but idk their budget, etc, etc.

On another section, you gotta consider the engine Hawken runs on. Unreal Engine 3 was never really the nicest of engines for night/dark effects due to the way it does lighting. Engines like Unity, CryEngine, ID Tech 4/5, Frostbite, they're all multipass lighting engines, Unreal Engine for the most part until UE4, has primarily been a single pass engine. Multipass has it's advantages of being able to as the name implies make multiple seperate lighting effect passes, making things like soft shadows and HB/HDAO possible with relatively little cost on the user front. The way the current engine for Hawken works(UE3) it's gotta do lighting, specular, shadows, light rays, glow/bloom, AO, all in one pass, making light calculation very slow. You know how Last Eco runs like fuzzy bunny even crashes 32 bit users? Yea this is exactly why, it's gotta do all the shadows, all the lighting effects for that map all at once. Granted yes if you were to lower the gamma down to being pure darkness, the lighting problems get alievated to an extent, however having lights on the mechs themselves, once those are on. New shadows from the smallest details of the mech have to be calculated and rendered. Shadows from everybody elses lights must be rendered by the player client as well the further away you are the problems lessen, but don't go completely away. Then you gotta figure in just like in real life, if you got a flashlight in the dark, theres a main focus point of light, then an overcast of light. This is indirect lighting, a lot of engines can do it well if it's programmed to, even UE3. However if you look through some of HawkenEngine.ini's settings, it seems ADH never really got around to doing much in the lighting department, they sorta slapped things together and hoped it worked. There are settings in there for specular maps, indirect lighting, etc, etc but it's all blank meaning they never worked on it, even destructable environments are in there, again blank just like a lot of the lighting effects. If you look at a good game that uses UE3 to the fullest like say Batman Arkham Origins, the lighting details that Hawken is missing start to become really evident. Even Blacklight Retrobution has better lighting effects then Hawken. If Josh and the gang can get lighting up and running the right way, not like it is now, then yeah these kinds of maps can become a reality.

Edited by Toxic Rainbows, 02 April 2015 - 09:21 PM.

tTIViUr.png

EchoJester

EchoJester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
+1 for work on lighting,darkness maps and weather acrossed the maps this would make battle beyond epic,especially if the changing weather could actually effect combat abilitys not just view

Loglino

Loglino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Have spotlights and lamps around structures on the maps, but have you be able to shoot them out. The only problem with this would be it would basically be no lights because they all would be shot out at the beginning. Maybe have a few you can't shoot out above the map and have a light on your mech too.

Edited by Loglino, 03 April 2015 - 10:43 AM.

Mind the fact that pizza is my avatar.
Pizza is cool and you know it.

<3 HAWKEN

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Have spotlights and lamps around structures on the maps, but have you be able to shoot them out. The only problem with this would be it would basically be no lights because they all would be shot out at the beginning. Maybe have a few you can't shoot out above the map and have a light on your mech too.

Basically what I said :P

But yeah, Regarding what people said earlier about the predator, just stick a big flashing neon sign on it, problem solved.

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
Dark, foggy, swamp map.

No crew

GMKGoat

GMKGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Night versions of maps would be neat. Even if they just dipped the lighting down from mid day to dusk. For real night versions the game would have to support real time dynamic lighting and I don't think UE3 even does that.

Vickmann

Vickmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thats a very googd Idea for the new devs. I think that happened some time until Devs make new maps, so play in the dark can be a way to implement new content. Huge moon, light moon... very good idea!!!.

Aprpoved!!:

chuck_zpsc779f2ed-4aaa790.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users