- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Now, this is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. In the training area when exploring maps, you can push TAB to go to third person view.

I thought this was a very cool feature, as I like to see my mech in action, but it was a pointless venture because the training area would be the only place I could use it, and the HUD was missing.

I propose that there should be an option where you can enable third person view with the HUD so you can see your mech in action, and for those who don't exactly like the first person perspective.

EDIT: Ok, due to recent complaints and issues a new idea was proposed that I think would help.

Instead of having the option to freely use third person whenever you wish in public games, perhaps there can be separate servers that allow for the third person perspective. It would solve the issue of people who don't like the perspective of third person and who thinks it gives an "Advantage".

Edited by SacredBlack1, 02 April 2015 - 10:17 AM.

MECH MASTER

armored-core-formula-front_20060622_0206

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Now, this is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. In the training area when exploring maps, you can push TAB to go to third person view.

I thought this was a very cool feature, as I like to see my mech in action, but it was a pointless venture because the training area would be the only place I could use it, and the HUD was missing.

I propose that there should be an option where you can enable third person view with the HUD so you can see your mech in action, and for those who don't exactly like the first person perspective.

No. That'd give you an advantage of being able to see around the corners.

P.S. I guess we vets will have to explain many things to new players. Oh well.

• -Tj- and hendman like this

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

As silly as it sounds, third person would actually harm performance on low end machines, since you need to load more textures to render your mech. Not to mention burst explosions would make it virtually impossible for you to see. Nice as it is in Map Explore, i doubt it'll ever become a real prime time feature.

*edit* Saw Dermax's post, that's also an extremely valid point, the advantages would be immense.

Edited by Toxic Rainbows, 02 April 2015 - 09:30 AM.

tTIViUr.png

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

No, stay in the cockpit. 

Edited by Superkamikazee, 02 April 2015 - 09:30 AM.

No crew

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Before the fall ... thousands of third person threads ...

BUT

enable third person view with the HUD

yrBT2UU.gif

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

P.S. I guess we vets will have to explain many things to new players. Oh well.

I've been playing Hawken longer than you know. Just because I don't have many forum posts doesn't mean I haven't been playing the game for a long time.

Before the fall ... thousands of third person threads ...

BUT

yrBT2UU.gif

Calm yourself. It was just a suggestion.

MECH MASTER

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I remember this being suggested way back when, and I'll make the same point back then than I did now:

A 3rd person player sees more than a 1st person player. 

Example: go to a corner on the map. Any corner. Now go and stand behind that corner while looking at an imaginary enemy. You won't be able to see him because you've got a wall in your face. Now taunt. As you can see the camera pans out you'll be able to see and look around the corner. This would give 3rd person players an advantage, and so everyone should and will be playing in this mode because it's simply better than the other. 

Taunting to look around corners is already something I've seen used in duels, so I'd suggest practicing that. 

Cheers.

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, 02 April 2015 - 09:33 AM.

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I remember this being suggested way back when, and I'll make the same point back then than I did now:

Example: go to a corner on the map. Any corner. Now go and stand behind that corner while looking at an imaginary enemy. You won't be able to see him because you've got a wall in your face. Now taunt. As you can see the camera pans out you'll be able to see and look around the corner. This would give 3rd person players an advantage, and so everyone should and will be playing in this mode because it's simply better than the other. 

Taunting to look around corners is already something I've seen used in duels, so I'd suggest practicing that. 

Cheers.

Shhhhhhh..... don't give out the secret!

tTIViUr.png

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's funny how some of you think I'm new to this game just because I don't have many forum posts.

I'm just going to say this and say this now.

I'M NOT NEW TO THIS GAME, AND THIS WAS JUST A "SUGGESTION".

People sure do like to assume.

MECH MASTER

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

This idea is not something I am against, nor is it something I think that could be implemented correctly without one having clear advantages over the other.

It would also be kinda useless on a Reaper and Sharpshooter.

Edited by Panzermanathod, 02 April 2015 - 09:44 AM.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

It's funny how some of you think I'm new to this game just because I don't have many forum posts.

I'm just going to say this and say this now.

I'M NOT NEW TO THIS GAME, AND THIS WAS JUST A "SUGGESTION".

People sure do like to assume.

No one is assuming anything. You proposed, we countered, it's a topic that has been brought up umpteen million times before, and the answer was then and will be now, a very resounding No.

tTIViUr.png

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

No one is assuming anything. You proposed, we countered, it's a topic that has been brought up umpteen million times before, and the answer was then and will be now, a very resounding No.

And I definitely heard it. I may not be new to Hawken but I'm new to forum posting. This was something that was in my mind for a bit. A simple "No" and explanation would've sufficed. That's the mistake the first poster made. No criticism or assumptions in posts are necessary.

MECH MASTER

Trigary

Trigary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

I remember when you joined the out-of-map fight club with your tech and shields, I used this feature that time a lot :D Memories... Sometimes I just want to share them, please don't blame me :(

I think there should be a server option (for private servers) to allow third-person camera, if there isn't already. If it's in the game, why not? But I totally agree with the previus posts, I say no, too.

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I remember when you joined the out-of-map fight club with your tech and shields, I used this feature that time a lot :D Memories... Sometimes I just want to share them, please don't blame me :(

I think there should be a server option (for private servers) to allow third-person camera, if there isn't already. If it's in the game, why not? But I totally agree with the previus posts, I say no, too.

Yes, I can see this happening. There can be separate servers for those who want that option. Many other games do it. Why not this one? It would solve this issue of people complaining about the "You can look around corners." thing. Well then I'll just take my third person to another server then where people actually appreciate the different perspective.

MECH MASTER

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Exactly what I was thinking of too :). Good times.

However, and I have noticed this on many suggestion posts, what's up with the 'make it an option on private servers'. I mean, do we wanna divide the playerbase like that? Have the players pick private servers they always play on because it's got the one option enabled that allows them to play a certain way and never go on the public ones. That's how MMR gets messed up. 

• Trigary likes this

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Hawken is a first person shooter. Not a third person. I like your idea, but apart from practice, I don't want it to be implemented. Third person is good for making videos on HWK, but apart from that, it could ruin the balance of the game. I wish you could see the entire mech will in third person at practice though.

Poster_3.jpg  Incin is da BEST!!

globalheader_logo.png

Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
For gameplay reasons its already been stated as to why not.

Spectator mode needs to happen though.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I agree with Dr. Freeze, there shouldn't be any changes that will effectively split the userbase in two.

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

And I definitely heard it. I may not be new to Hawken but I'm new to forum posting. This was something that was in my mind for a bit. A simple "No" and explanation would've sufficed. That's the mistake the first poster made. No criticism or assumptions in posts are necessary.

"A simple "No" and explanation would've sufficed"

No, stay in the cockpit. 

As silly as it sounds, third person would actually harm performance on low end machines, since you need to load more textures to render your mech. Not to mention burst explosions would make it virtually impossible for you to see. Nice as it is in Map Explore, i doubt it'll ever become a real prime time feature.

You've gotten your No's and your explanations, I don't know what you're upset about...

"No criticism or assumptions in posts are necessary"

What? This is the suggestions section, why are you not expecting criticism?

Edited by SparkyJJC, 02 April 2015 - 10:58 AM.

AXgnWyr.png

Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

The thing is SacredBlack1 that the new forum is just that... Brand new but the old ones were up for two + years and yeh, a lot of subjects were debated to death over many threads back then. Now, that is clearly not your fault and I think some folks need to remember that but I also don't think that anyone was being particularly rude ('cept fake maybe but he's always like that (Ha!)) I'm sorry that you feel your first post got nailed but it really isn't a viable idea for all the reasons posted above. It's a great feature in exploration/training modes but it really has to stop there I think. 

So yeh, I'm with the majority on this too I'm afraid.

I hope this hasn't put you off posting again. Welcome then to the community if belated for the game.  

Edit: Ok yeh, so some folk are being rude :)

Give him a break guys. I suggested a D-Class Artillery Mech once and got the verbal s**t kicked out of me. Dumb ass idea too :D 

Edited by Pastorius, 02 April 2015 - 11:09 AM.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I didn't mean to be rude. This exact suggestion has been made at least four times in the past (probably more), with the exact same outcome, so I assumed you're new to the game.

CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Spectator mode!! Thumbs up for that though.

• Pastorius likes this

Poster_3.jpg  Incin is da BEST!!

globalheader_logo.png

SacredBlack1

SacredBlack1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Then I apologize as well for being rowdy too earlier. I didn't know it was discussed crap-loads before here.

"A simple "No" and explanation would've sufficed"

You've gotten your No's and your explanations, I don't know what you're upset about...

"No criticism or assumptions in posts are necessary"

What? This is the suggestions section, why are you not expecting criticism?

Ok, yes, I expect criticism, but I don't expect people to be rude about it. At least not here. 

MECH MASTER

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

edit: herp I'm a derp. Everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Has anyone mentioned chat/social servers as scrim hubs? There was a thread for it in the old forums but I think it's something worth hashing out. I guess I'll go make that post...

Edited by eth0, 02 April 2015 - 02:08 PM.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users