Photo

Router/Network optimization settings?

- - - - - ping router network optimization lag ports bandwidth forwarding sister-wives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SlugBug

SlugBug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I've searched the new forums for this topic and haven't found any relevant yet. There was a topic about this on the old forums, maybe someone can revive it as I'm not sure how.

A few questions to accompany this:

• Generally, are there any ways to improve ping/reduce lag?
  • Specifically, is it possible to specify certain ports to forward to Hawken? Will this even help?
  • Can anyone share specific router model settings that work well for them?
  • Firewall settings?

I know this can be a deep and often confusing topic for many people; many of whom just want the best gaming experience without getting an IT degree (read: spending an hour diggin' through the bowels of the internet, lol).

Personally, I'm always researching things on the webs about this issue, so know that this isn't just a shout in the dark. This community is strong once again with a lot of knowledgeable people.

Help a brother out! (or sister, or sister-wife, etc.)

...aaaaaaaaaaaand.... go!

P.S. I have a Linksys WRT1900AC router and ~200mbps bandwidth, and every little bit counts, right?

Edited by SlugBug, 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM.

ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Specifically, is it possible to specify certain ports to forward to Hawken? Will this even help?

Hawken uses ports in the range of 7777 to 7797 iirc. I don't think that it will affect your connection speed but it might help people who are unable to connect at all.

Edited by ReEvolve, 09 April 2015 - 10:07 AM.

• SlugBug likes this

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

slightly unrelated, but I simply could not connect to the Teamspeak server until I replaced my router. I was using some crummy Belkin, and I tried everything from port forwarding to DMZ but still couldn't keep a connection for more than 30 seconds. Tried a different router (Linksys E2000 with DD-WRT) and it works perfectly with no setting changes.

As far as changing router settings to improve game performance, I don't know there is much you can do. Use a wired connection and try and reduce devices on your network, for example, I disable wifi on my phone so it's not pulling updates as I am trying to play.

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

Ashfire908

Ashfire908

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Hawken uses ports in the range of 7777 to 7797 iirc. I don't think that it will affect your connection speed but it might help people who are unable to connect at all.

Forwarding ports for Hawken will have no effect. All connections Hawken makes are outgoing.
  • SlugBug likes this
Creator of ScrimBot and other community tools.

[kloeri] And we're done for now with all the rebooting.. except for a single server that will be rebooted when it's done pretending it's a tree.

SlugBug

SlugBug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Welp, Ash chimed in so I think that one's solved :)

Much appreciated, though.

Been fiddling around with my router settings and fixed an issue with "Media Prioritization" throttling my Wi-Fi, so that's a plus. Someday soon I'll have to get a Cat6 run through my house.

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
Disabling qos packet scheduler in my connection settings gained me an extra 400 kbps damn windows reserved for its evil secrets

And take care to know where your isp entry point is its as if thats where you live, i live in florida but get best ping in texas atm so i whatismyip.çom my ip to find i currently reside in texas, now today im back and fourth between jacksonville ?l and my home pálatka in FL §o keep á eye on that to know which servers are actualy the shortest loop

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, 22 June 2015 - 10:09 AM.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I also have a WRT1900AC router. Currently, OpenWrt is on RC2 I believe, which shows improvement in network performance. See here. I wouldn't install it, since it is a release candidate, so it will have a few bugs.

Try adjusting the antennas for optimal signal gain. See here. Also, ensure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that feeds into the router. And, obviously, connect to the 5GHz band. Ideally, you'd want something to support 802.11ac, since that is currently your best bet for increasing performance.

Sucks that it took Belkin as long as they did to release drivers to the open source community (dated December 2014). Also lacking are the patch implementations and improvements. Hopefully OpenWrt will be stable enough to take full advantage of the router.

TpsOr7F.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Chaos Calmer OpenWrt RC3 was released on July 7, 2015. Presumably, stable should get released afterwards.

http://wiki.openwrt....nksys/wrt1900ac(updated often)

Stock firmware was updated not too long ago as well.

RC3 release notes:

Spoiler

TpsOr7F.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ping, router, network optimization, lag, ports, bandwidth, forwarding, sister-wives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users