• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

What pings do you guys(and ladies) consider unplayable? I mean to separate ping, from packet loss, and by unplayable I mean to get some specifications on that. For example,

For me, living in California at 20-40ish FPS, I find anything up to 80 ping playable, typically that being Chicago for me. Though Kansas is worse for me ping wise, and I avoid jersey altogether, the ping I get there feels as though its a 300 mmr drop. Though i draw the line lower for things like G2R, Pred, and SS.

What do you all feel is a unplayable ping? Where do you feel personal performance issues?

• DemitronPrime likes this

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Competitively? Or "i feel i can live up to my expectations"?

I think anything above 100 ping is killing me. Kind of.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

at 144fps, I can adapt to about 100 ping, then my play gets 'off' if I find a lower ping server.  I can't really play A-classes well over about 150ms.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

TurquoiseTortoise

TurquoiseTortoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

100 ping now

disconnect from chat constantly

ppl transport

shots dont register fast enough that sometimes i dont do any damage when i know ive hit them on my screen

sometimes ill freeze and every one around me will start moon walking then suddenly im brought to the garage cus i died

harder to dodge attacks

50 ping before

chat is fine

ppl who have higher ping than me transport

i can dodge hellfires more easily

i can dodge tow missiles more easily

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

150 max

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
80 or more is when I start to notice issues

I won't play with 100+ ping

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I consider ping greater than 105 to be "unplayable". I get that kind of ping on NJ, but most central servers yield a ping between 65-85 for me.

Also, inb4 "yarrr my best connection is 140 ping via carrier piegon cuz i live in the permafrost / bush / on an island, get gud u spoiled bratz"

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 30 April 2016 - 01:16 PM.

• Elite_is_salty, Miscellaneous, Merl61 and 3 others like this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

For me 100-120 is about where I have to change how I play. At around 130 it begins to effect my mech choices, and by 140-150ish my presence on the field bears no resemblance to what it would be under ~60 as by then I have completely upended my mech choice and play style as well as pretty much given up on dueling anyone over about 2000 mmr.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

yarrr my best connection is 140 ping via carrier piegon cuz i live in the permafrost / bush / on an island, get gud u spoiled bratz

• crockrocket, Miscellaneous, OdinTheWise and 5 others like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

On a serious note though, this is my experience. The lowest ping I have ever had was mid 60s. That was really nice although I obviously don't have anything lower to compare it too. At that ping though I felt really comfortable playing any mech at a high level. At 80-90 all mechs are still playable but precision with certain weapons starts to get more iffy. At 110 I have to start leading my shots. At 130 I have to lead my shots and pray. At 160 only a few mechs remain anywhere near viable and at 180 I feel as though the game is truly "unplayable". 

• crockrocket likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Ok...

Well I play with between 140-220 on NA servers most of the time, as some of you know,

I LA servers 140... Eastern servers 180-200.

LA servers I dont really notice my ping as much, that .4s delay isnt TOO bad for my gameplay, however when my ping is closer to 200...

the time gap is much more noticeable, I actually need to act almost a whole second ahead O_O///

Hard knock life, but this whole conversation just reminds me that if I was back in the states I would probibly have a much higher mmr

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

I live in California as well. For me unplayable ping would be anything edging toward 100 on this game. Counter strike (any version) it's not so much of an issue since the bullets are laser pointers as opposed to on Hawken there is a delay on some mechs. It's 100 for me simply because I use the G2R and there is a bullet travel delay at the start, adding 100 ping to that already existing delay and you find you have to lead the shot dramatically. I mean seriously lead the shot like 2-4 inches off the center cross hair lead the shot, keep in mind I'm using two shotguns so even with that lead, a lot of pellets still miss. (The rng gods are against you at 100 ping with the G2R :T) Any other mech besides SS and Pred you can simply adjust and you'll be fine. The servers where ping starts becoming an issue for me is Kansas city and New Jersey, everything else I just need to simply adjust and I'll be fine.

• Charcoal and DemitronPrime like this

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

As I am a german and have the luxury of incredible low ping rates:

100 ms is almost unplayable and 130-150 is where I just stop and wait for the ping to either decrease or leave.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

my performance falls off noticeably around the 150 ping mark. after that, i have to compensate by playing much more defensively.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

On a serious note though, this is my experience. The lowest ping I have ever had was mid 60s. That was really nice although I obviously don't have anything lower to compare it too. At that ping though I felt really comfortable playing any mech at a high level. At 80-90 all mechs are still playable but precision with certain weapons starts to get more iffy. At 110 I have to start leading my shots. At 130 I have to lead my shots and pray. At 160 only a few mechs remain anywhere near viable and at 180 I feel as though the game is truly "unplayable". 

If you're talking about ping this is the post you should pay attention to. Pretty damn sure Merl is the highest ping player around 2700 mmr

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Edited by (TDM) DallasCreeper, 01 May 2016 - 06:50 PM.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
at 220 ping I swap to rocketard. then I keep playin.
  • Nightfirebolt, Arkhaun and DemitronPrime like this

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Generally speaking I've been able to play decently up to 250-ish ping. I'd call that barely playable, though. 70-100 has been the most enjoyable. I can adapt to ping around 130-150. 160 to 200, that takes work, and I generally can't hit reliably with hitscan weapons. 200-250, almost explosives exclusively. 250+... not really enjoyable at that point.

I have to wonder how the 300+ folks even bother with the game. :ohmy:

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I have played rocketard up to 400 and managed to mostly* keep from getting into negative KDR.
a that ping level I just work on not feeding the enemy.

Have had some surprising duels with players that think a 400 pinger would be easy prey.

Edited by 6ixxer, 01 May 2016 - 07:31 PM.

harmless_kittens

harmless_kittens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

At anything above 0 ping I find that I play terribly.  They really need to fix this ...

Edited by harmless_kittens, 02 May 2016 - 05:18 AM.

• crockrocket, JackVandal, 6ixxer and 2 others like this

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

I find over 900 ping unplayable, because that's the only time it goes over 120. 

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

GeneralJWJ

GeneralJWJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

I won't play A classes besides tech above 90-100 ping and I won't play at all above 150-200 except maybe rocketeer if the game really doesn't matter. Generally my ping isn't consistently good or bad, what happens is it hovers between 50-80 and suddenly spikes to 900 for a few seconds before going normal again (thankfully this only happens once every 20-30 minutes).

Go read and edit the hawken wiki you fuzzy bunnies.

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

60 or lower is ok, 80 is un-fun but workable, 100-120 is rough, anything above 140 is intolerable.

• eth0, DeeRax and ARCH3TYP3 like this

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

60 or lower is ok, 80 is un-fun but workable, 100-120 is rough, anything above 140 is intolerable.

^This, exactly.

Once upon a time, I remember getting consistent 20-40s on Ashburn servers... Now I don't think I can get under 60 on any server anymore.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

What I'm getting from this thread is that playable ping is more a function of what you're used to than anything else.

• crockrocket, -Tj-, DieselCat and 1 other like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

harmless_kittens

harmless_kittens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

OK, I'll bite (serious moment for a change).  For a casual noob like myself, what would the effects of me having a higher "ping" look like in MY gameplay experience?  I ask this because if I jaunt over to Europe or Asia for a match, I'm sure I have ping in the 200 range or more (because I've noticed it go up).  But I don't see how it affects my ability to play the game - probably because I stink at home and I stink when I'm on the "away team" too.  What is actually "messing up" for me when playing abroad?  I don't find myself dying at any greater rate than I do on US servers.

Thanks for the clarification.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

What I'm getting from this thread is that playable ping is more a function of what you're used to than anything else.

Yeah. The real "playable" ping is whatever you think you're still competitive at. The real question is at what ping does your effectiveness begin to diminish. 

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

The reported pings don't make sense anymore.

When ADH was in control (and even afterward, in the bizarre limbo-period we experienced during which Hawken's future was uncertain) I could play effectively at any ping between 0-150.

Now? If my ping goes anywhere over 90, mechs start teleporting, hit registration becomes nonexistent, and weapons start ghosting.

This kind of stuff really shouldn't happen with a ping hovering around 100. I don't know why this is and I hope it gets fixed someday.

Playing Hawken ain't what it used to be.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 02 May 2016 - 04:43 PM.

• DieselCat and DeeRax like this

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

you know....

Label me a slinger and all...

but Reading 90% of these posts I just think " bitchs "

No personal offense intended to anyone but that but i mean REALLY....

i have lost count of the number of games I have been in and had some guy with a 60 ping complain about lag etc... ( my ping ranging from 140-200 )

I have lost count of the number of American C**Ts that say " demitron you suck bruh just quit" etc etc

Above all this... I have lost count of the number of times I have killed said player with 60 ping (with 140-200) ping and they get a: get salty b: rage quit

I live in California as well. For me unplayable ping would be anything edging toward 100 on this game. Counter strike (any version) it's not so much of an issue since the bullets are laser pointers as opposed to on Hawken there is a delay on some mechs. It's 100 for me simply because I use the G2R and there is a bullet travel delay at the start, adding 100 ping to that already existing delay and you find you have to lead the shot dramatically. I mean seriously lead the shot like 2-4 inches off the center cross hair lead the shot, keep in mind I'm using two shotguns so even with that lead, a lot of pellets still miss. (The rng gods are against you at 100 ping with the G2R :T) Any other mech besides SS and Pred you can simply adjust and you'll be fine. The servers where ping starts becoming an issue for me is Kansas city and New Jersey, everything else I just need to simply adjust and I'll be fine.

Stated Here Nicely by one of my g2r idols....

LEARN TO LEAD....

and honestly....

Stop bitching about your double digit pings....

IF you EVER wanna know how hard it is for me to maintain my 1600ish mmr, lets server swap....

We will play on Sydney and I can have the 40-60 ping and you have the 200....

Then tell me im not a decent player fuctard

Edited by DemitronPrime, 02 May 2016 - 05:03 PM.

• DieselCat and Onstrava like this

r4GY0PF.jpg

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

at 220 ping I swap to rocketard. then I keep playin.

dont you mean Rockequeer?

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Demitron you suck bruh just quit.

• devotion likes this

Festivals end, as festivals must

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

-snip-

I knew that from the moment I saw "ping," you were gonna post about your sketchy ping that I am still confused about how you deal with.

Edited by (TDM) DallasCreeper, 02 May 2016 - 06:11 PM.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I've found that as long as I have a familiar distance between myself and the enemy, I can hit with projectiles shortly after a ping increase of up to 300 assuming the ping stays relatively around there. This is also assuming that my fps is still above 100 and my packet loss isn't up at all. But in reality it's all prediction and assumption. You can't Really know where an enemy is going to be in 300 ms, or when they are/did dodge, however if you have something with manual detonation or a good enough splash you can get a small amount of damage in the very least by detonating at the right time or hitting the surface that covers the most movement options they have with a portion of the splash. This comes with experience though, like being able to fire a tow and then turn around and still be able to detonate it at the right moment just based on how well you know it. Weapons like eoc are a bit more hit and miss (pun intended) but you can fire the eoc to their side where they would dodge and then fire a primary to their other side, or catch them when they are about to land or pivot while doing a little dance. Meh, complex stuff rooted entirely in habit and muscle memory is hard for me to explain.

• DieselCat and CraftyDus like this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Demitron, I don't think I've ever played you. 

I think you could use a warm glass of milk.

Edited by Lunatic, 02 May 2016 - 06:44 PM.

• DeeRax likes this

You should call me Luna.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

dont you mean Rockequeer?

No

So you're out of luck O_o

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Good edit, we don't need people measuring e-peens here. And I wasn't talking about Demetron

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Good edit, we don't need people measuring e-peens here. And I wasn't talking about Demetron

Sublime.

"I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball.  I had a million ping, but I shot them all."

You should call me Luna.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Demitron you suck bruh just quit.

Nah Bruh.... think you got me confused with your dad.....

Thats good, because I Lost my meter ruler....

o-o

obama_meme.jpg

I remember last time I DID actually meet the fringe in the battle field he said something along the lines of "Im ignoring you because your pings high"

Shame he didnt see the glass of nador flavored milk i threw at him....

-- waits for triggers ---

shift+a, Space+derp, Shift+s

You see playing with a HIGH ping is an artform....

I knew that from the moment I saw "ping," you were gonna post about your sketchy ping that I am still confused about how you deal with.

Much like this post.....

TBH though serious note though...

you CANNOT truly think your good when a tenne born redneck living in New Zealand that actually dont care about how good you are makes u flinch/sweat/cuss or plain salt with 2-3x your ping....

Edited by DemitronPrime, 02 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Well that didn't take long.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

OK, I'll bite (serious moment for a change).  For a casual noob like myself, what would the effects of me having a higher "ping" look like in MY gameplay experience?  I ask this because if I jaunt over to Europe or Asia for a match, I'm sure I have ping in the 200 range or more (because I've noticed it go up).  But I don't see how it affects my ability to play the game - probably because I stink at home and I stink when I'm on the "away team" too.  What is actually "messing up" for me when playing abroad?  I don't find myself dying at any greater rate than I do on US servers.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ping is the measure of how far behind a server you are, in milliseconds i think. So examples would be when using weapons that hit instantly like the smc or Sabots, you miss when your aim is dead on, at 100 ping a sniper shot will miss a mech walking sideways because of the delay to the server. So for many skilled players the issue comes in the minute timings of the muscle memory in how they play, as for a newer player it likely would represent shots missed that should have hit, or being killed when you thought you were in cover.

Well this is likely packet loss, which is distinct from ping for the purposes of this thread.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ping, unplayable, opinions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users