1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hello there!

This is a little story.

My ping here in Europe was for a long time around 60. I never really understood why it's so high - I am not that far away from Frankfurt (<400 km). Then I moved some months ago - the ping went up to 80. Fun fact: I stayed in the same house, same isp.

Here in Germany broadband internet is actually very broad, meaning that in the bigger cities you've got a speedy connection but in small towns it gets worse. Not to speak of some villages were you can check your mails maybe with a modem. In my town they upgraded the streets piece by piece. So now for more money you can get a VDSL connection.

My speed so far was around 4000kbit/s down- and 300 kbit/s up-stream. For some this sounds like stone-age, yes, I know. But most of my neighbours have even worser speeds (<3000 down).

I spoke lately with the hotline of my provider because of connection issues and the guy was really friendly and then said "What about switching your connection to fiberglass?" Me - "Sorry, I have no money for VDSL". But then he explained. The reason our speeds here in Germany are so low is the very long distance from the home-router to the next DSLAM. Copper-wire looses high frequencies over big distance which is crippling connections. So all the new VDSL infrastructure is not only for the new fancy VDSL-payers. It also means that they can switch your line to that "new DSLAMs", so the copper-wire gets way shorter. The best part: it's free. In the long run they will do it piece by piece with every connection because it's also reducing their costs.

And now I have 20.000 kbit/s down- and 1500 kbit/s up-stream! And also the ping went down to more realistic values. Ranging (depends on tickrate of the frankfurt server) from 24 to 40.

So all I can recommend to you is, ask your provider what's up in your town and if they can switch the connection to the newer technology. I have no idea how the situation is in other countries but guess you are already living in "Neuland".

Bye.

• DisorderlyMechanic, MomOw, nepacaka and 2 others like this

Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

My ISP is greedy, corrupted and subsidized by the state. No improvements planned in my location and nearest DSLAM is pretty far, so I'm stuck with ADSL. But whatever, I'm moving somewhere else by the end of this year and there should be a better ISP available, so I can show the old one a huge middle finger. (oh did I mention I live in the capital city of Czech republic?)

Still, something good has happened on Hawken's side, last time I played, my ping was between 30-40 which I didn't even think was possible on my connection.

Edited by Zaxik, 13 July 2015 - 03:46 AM.

• DerMax likes this

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Meh.

Up here in the north of England the connection is complete fuzzy bunny. My ISP, BT (stands for British Telecom) decided they don't want to invest in the infrastructure.

Now you might be thinking; "So? Just change ISP you silly sausage!"

That's easier said than done, friend. You see, here in Britland all the service providers use the same network, basically, BT has a monopoly on it. 

They were able to provide service to me for about 6 months, but it was just unbearably slow. My average ping in game hovered above 500, not to mention the fact that a small exchange box was constantly vandalized leaving me without connection for days at a time.

In the end I said "Fukkit" and got satellite, which in hindsight was a bad choice due to connection being influenced by the weather. 

Turns out a much more reliable way of getting internet was taping my phone to a window and turning hotspot on. It works and is a lot faster than my satellite.

So, if you ever see me with high ping in game, you know why!

Edited by Sp0oktre, 13 July 2015 - 04:34 AM.

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

oyoy

oyoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hold on tight 1uster I'm coming! Almost there!!!  :tongue:

Very similar story only here in Israel the fiber company actually started with the smaller cities (as free tester). Now (hopefully till the end of 2015) they're starting to connect the main big cities and prices looks pretty decent, eg. 100/100Mbps=20$, 200/200Mbps=50$, 1000/1000Mbps=100$.

All of you 20 ping freaks.. just you wait! Wait when my Fiber-Mechs unleash there furious vengeance upon you. years of missing Hit-Reg', Tow/GL mystically disappear.. Revenge shall be my!

Suffer! Suffer!!!

• DerMax and 1uster like this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Well, don't get too excited for that "fiber optic" internet connection.  While, yes, fiber can transfer more data than traditional copper, it still gets slowed down to the same speeds as wire at every stop along the way - there's no optical computers yet and that connection from your local fiber still goes into a good-ole fashion copper wired junction box and then travels from that and into your home through copper wire.

My whole city is "fiber" and everybody who has switched says they are disappointed.  Their connection still goes slower than my cable broadband... and it actually did me a huge favor - when they all switched, it opened up tons of bandwidth for me and the others who decided to stick with what we had. :)

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

yesterday my ping from around 100+ which was the past 2 years,went down to 80+,dont know why,i am happy though,and i am sure its not my ISP..

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

I've switched to fiber and its a lot better. my ping went down to below 40 (from 70~80) and the best part is that my GF can now surf the net without stealing my bandwidth. Hurray !

aenynwq_460sa.gif

• Odinous and Kopra like this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

So oyoy - was ping-envy the reason you removed me from friendslist and rejected new requests?

:rolleyes: :smile:

oyoy

oyoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So oyoy - was ping-envy the reason you removed me from friendslist and rejected new requests?

:rolleyes: :smile:

:teehee:  Haha no, not at all.  I deleted all 150+ friends in some point when Hawken stuck in infinity Sync' bug, couldn't get to the garage. Everything is back to normal, you are already in my list, old friend. BTW i never rejected / hit the ignore button  :thumbsup:

Odinous

yesterday my ping from around 100+ which was the past 2 years,went down to 80+,dont know why,i am happy though,and i am sure its not my ISP..

The 30t/66t server Vs. the regular ones have a 20-30 ping different, check it. (at least in my case) 

* Playing now only on the regular Frankfurt 59xx servers (without the 30t/66t).

Fureur

Fureur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

With fiber, I get always 20 ping from Paris on Frankfurt servers and 80-120 on US East coast servers.

PS : One day, i joined a 2 stars Franfurt server... and Ive got like a 250 ping as like "mmr penalty" I guess, is it possible ??

Humanity is an Escape Attempt.

34sl3rq.jpg

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

With fiber, I get always 20 ping from Paris on Frankfurt servers and 80-120 on US East coast servers.

PS : One day, i joined a 2 stars Franfurt server... and Ive got like a 250 ping as like "mmr penalty" I guess, is it possible ??

lol no, ISP issues or servers issues, but no "you're2gud" penalties

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

HepTagoN

HepTagoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

My place is more than 900 km away from Frankfurt but i got ping ~50. I got 30Mbit/s (3,75 MB/s), switched from 60Mbit like month ago. Ping was not affected in any way. Today was VERY FIRST TIME EVER i got lags - playing bot TDM with TzeVolmar, but he got them as well, in very same moment so i guess it was server side issue.

I have never experienced any of those hit register issues etc. Never. I did not notice them, Surely its harder to spot using vulcan (only mech i play is vulcan gren), but gren launcher is diffrent story.

IMO, network TRANSFER capabilities dont improve ping much Key is being close to entry nodes of ISP skeleton network (is that correct term in eng?). And avoid, no matter what, radio based connection. Or perhaps one's got diffrent experience?

• Kopra likes this

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

EU is absolutely disgusting (at least frankfurt-1101). Ping oscillates between 64 108 with huge registration problems and rubberbanding like Mr. Fantastic, and I don't have anything similar in any other online game. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: isp, ping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users