HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#1 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:30 PM

Post your suggestions for modules you can mount on your mech that grant special abilities, or provide passive bonuses of sorts. I'll try to keep track of them and mark notable suggestions that get good responses. I'll also try to keep track of suggestions from other threads for special equipment. I'll get this rolling with a few of my own and some that have already been said.

The "WT(Fudge) does that mean_" Guide

-------- New Section
* * * *  New topic in a section
!$#!@$  Grawlix

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested Ideas:
To save yourself from possible embarrassment I've listed the names of ideas that have already been suggested, if one sounds similar to what you are thinking PLEASE, PLEASE, use "search" (ctrl + F) to find it and make sure what you are suggesting is not the same.

Debatable/Iffy
Repair kit/Nanobots/Repair drones/etc
Heavy/Light/Other Armor
Weapon Buffs/Upgrades
Mini nuke or high explosive (Concussive Blast_)
Magnet Gun

Defensive
Counter-Measures/Chaff/Flares *NOTABLE*
Targeting-Scrambler
Invisibility/Camouflage *NOTABLE*
Anti-Missile Cage
Anti-Missile System
Energy Barrier Generator
Disposable Armor Paneling
Liquid Coolant Suit
Secondary Shield
Hunker (Energy Shield)
Tortoise Shield
Hologram/Decoy
Shock Barrier

Offensive
Attack/Support Drones
Proximity Mines *NOTABLE*
Mini-Turrets
Hacking Device
Claymore Countermeasure
Improved Auto-Loader
Extended Ammo Supply
EMP *NOTABLE*
OMS Module (Off-Map Support)
Magnetic Field Generator
Paint (Gun_)
Twin Weapon Link
Flash Bangs
Real Time Weapon Change
Ice Thrower

Other
Upgraded Shock Absorbers
ECM Package
Heatsink
High powered jumpjets
Long Range Sensors
Coolant Pod
Mechanical Jump Boosters
Airborne Thruster
Smoke Grenade (Launcher/Generator_)
Remote Spy Cam
Fake Radar Blip Drones *NOTABLE*
Rappel/Cable Lines
Mesh Network Satellite Scan
Horizontal Boosters

-------------------------------------------------

---===Some Ground Rules (READ THESE DAMMIT)===---

1. Please DO NOT post weapon suggestions (machine guns, lasers, plasma swords, mortars, potato cannons, etc). Anything that is meant to be a primary weapon of sorts do not belong here, things like mines, remote bombs, or drones are okay.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2. Make sure your suggestion HAS SUBSTANCE to it. If you post something like:

i thnk we sud get a Cage of ninja Pandas!!  8-)  cuz it wud b cool and i like ninjas like naruto!!1! :mrgreen:

I, or someone else, will likely mock you at the expense of your ego and reputation, and your suggestion will be ignored and forgotten. Try to have it well written with some explanation about how it works, a better version of the above example could be:

We could equip a cage carrying Ninja Pandas that, when released, would attack the nearest enemy, they would move fast, and do minor damage for a period of time or until destroyed. They will mainly act as a distraction as they are hard to hit and players may be hesitant to harm such an adorable, puppy-eyed critter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3. It may get hard after a while, but try to BE ORIGINAL. If someone has already posted an idea similar to your own we don't need to hear it again. Feel free to build on top of other people's ideas, in fact I encourage people to do so; just make sure you are adding-on, not just rewording what has already been said.

On that note I strongly suggest you read the first suggestion on in-field repairing. which I've put right here  :P

==Repair kit/Nanobots/Repair drones/etc== *Notable*
Contributor(s): An unruly mob of peasants
Type: Defensive ability

Due to the broadness and already ongoing discussion of repairing your mech in-battle, I recommend you refrain from posting about ways to heal your mech here unless it is REALLY unique. Here are some of the threads about repairing and/or the mech health system:

Mech Repair/Recovery System, how should it work_
How about "Repair droids" or "repair bots"_
Limb damage_
Some ideas on damage

If you break one of these ground rules I may add you to the list of "Oblivious Blokes Who Don't Read :evil: " and may or may not mock you based on how I feel  :roll:

Besides that anything goes.  8-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Updated: July. 3, 2011
- I'm back and I'm QUACK!!  8-)

Previous Updates

May. 31, 2011
- Suggestions added
- EMP suggestions added
- EMP made notable
May. 20, 2011
- Suggestions added
May. 15, 2011
- More suggestions added
May. 10, 2011
- More organizational crap
- Condemned first bloke  :evil:
- More suggestions added
- Thinking about adding table of contents
May. 8, 2011
- All sorts of organizational crap
- Added some peoples suggestions, DO NOT despair if yours is not here yet, I need too sleep too sometimes
May.4, 2011
- Thread started

:evil:  :evil:  :evil: ---===Oblivious Blokes Who Don't Read===--- :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
I hereby condemn the following to the notoriety of been on this dubious list for all to see:

SickDownlink - The first to be darned to heck
Varaka - Ctrl + F man, Ctrl + F
Robert1374 - Cool ideas, wrong place

Debatable/Iffy Suggestions

I will now state that these are NOT bad or rejected ideas, just things I'm not sure falls into the category of 'special equipment', this is based on MY JUDGEMENT and I mean no offense towards anyone, just that it may be in the wrong place.

If you see one of your ideas, or another from someone else, in this area and disagree with its placement here please post (preferably in this thread) why you think so and/or what adjustments can be made to it so that it can be considered 'Special Equipment'. I will review it and, if I am swayed, will add it to the actual list.

Now begone puny mortals  :P

==Magnet Gun==
Contributor(s): legionwolff - original thread

Sounds like a weapon, albeit an unusual one, closest comparison I can think of is the gravity gun from Half-Life 2 which certainly IS a weapon as many hours of throwing saw-blades at soon to be bisected zombies has shown me.

==Heavy/Light/Other Armor==
Contributor(s): Flyingdebris

While been able to choose how much armor you put on your mech should DEFIANTLY be an option, it's not really an 'equipment' as all mechs will have armor regardless. The idea of 'stealth armor' is interesting but would make more sense as a module that affects enemy sensors, but would be heavy thus forcing a reduction in armor or loss of firepower in order to remain mobile.

==Weapon Buffs/Upgrades==

Been able to add things like incendiary/armor piercing rounds, or missile spreaders is an interesting conundrum as they would be better classified as a "module-on-a-module" versus a piece of equipment for a specialized purpose. Maybe will see things like been able to further customize your weapons by adding 'perks' to them.

==Mini nuke or high explosive (Concussive Blast_)==

Lord_Porksword:

Have it knock the Mechs to their backs leaving them venerable while they get up. Also have the flash cause temporary blindness or blurred/distorted vision.

HappyApathy (Judgement):

The name of this would *technically* make it a weapon, however the description you give makes it sound more like something meant to physically (versus electronically) disable or impair an enemy, by knocking them over or blinding them. Re-wording this as something else may help.

Yes a mini-nuke would have the same effects, but its intent would be more to blow your foe to little bits versus just making them trip  ;)

Defensive Suggestions
Stuff that keeps you from exploding (hopefully).

==Counter-Measures/Chaff/Flares== *NOTABLE*
Contributor(s): HappyApathy
Type: Defensive special ability

Has been suggested multiple times, must mean its popular  8-)

Used to throw off attacks by heat-seeking and/or homing missiles, when used it fires a number of reflective flares into the air which have a high chance of causing a heat-seeking weapon to miss. Takes a bit of time to reload leaving you vulnerable to another heat-seeking attack till its ready again.

==Targeting-Scrambler==
Type: Defensive passive ability

Generates a disruptive field around your mech that interferes with enemy targeting, increases the chances of a homing attack to miss, doesn't work as well as counter-measures but is constant. Could possibly have different versions that work better but weigh more.

==Invisibility/Camouflage== *NOTABLE*
Contributor(s): legionwolff (+ Necrozilla) - original thread

legionwolff (Condensed from original thread)

Allows player to temporarily become invisible/translucent at some expense in performance elsewhere (like loss of speed, inability to use weapons, etc). Likely would also remove presence on mini-map.

Necrozilla:

Ways to balance:
1. Buzzing sound when cloaked (people can hear this)
2. Near-insta-death if shot when cloaked
3. Thermal vision mode = shows the mech in a heat silhouette.
4. Shooting = lose cloak/energy bar has to recharge.

==Anti-Missile Cage==

Protects vs missile damage negating 80% of their damage so long as you are above 80% health. after which the missile cage is too damaged to help. Pro, cheap missile protection for the early part of a fight. Con, opponent can simply opt to shoot the cage off first before shooting missiles at you

==Anti-Missile System==
Contributor(s): Flyingdebris, pandm101 - original thread

Flyingdebris:

small turret that autonomously attempts (attempts being the operative word) to shoot down incoming missiles with a laser. Works best when you are moving slow or are standing still. Pro, can protect you from missiles consistently, Con, to protect you well, you have to be a sitting duck for most other types of weapons.

pandm101:

An autonomous drone with the ability to shoot incoming missiles, making an enemy rely on more that just those, not saying it can take all the misslies down, but maybe it takes 1 second to target, and 1 to shoot one down, so running with two of those could effectively lessen the impact of missiles, but if you have them, you are at a disadvantage to people using other ones.

==Energy Barrier Generator==
Contributor(s): Porcupine
Type: Deployed defensive ability

A deployable generator that, once placed, creates an energy barrier that blocks off enemy fire (can be weak to certain types of weapons) providing cover until the generator battery is depleted or until destroyed. Can also be used to block passages, like tunnels and underpasses, creating traps. When placed in the open enemy mechs can easily jump over it with jump-jets, but that depends on the shape of the barrier.

==Disposable Armor Paneling==
Contributor(s): Shoebox

Additional sheets of metal you can attach to your mech, that once you sustain a certain level of damage can be shed to gain much more speed and movement as well as less fuel consumption. As it initially takes up lots of room on your mech, it will be for longer matches that require you to survive for longer, or skilled players who need that survivability to stay in the game longer between respawns.

==Liquid Coolant Suit==

When circumstances call for it, you can reroute coolant to external pipes that will soak the exterior of your Mech. This will make you invisible to heat-seeking missiles as well as on Thermal Imagery, but you will be very prone to overheating during this period.

==Secondary Shield==
Contributor(s): SickDownlink
Type: Defensive passive bonus

Condensed from original post

A solid metal shield that takes the place of a weapon. The shield could passively increase your HP, or is could soak up damage if hit and have its own HP count, once it's hp reaches 0 it would be destroyed and your mech would drop it.

==Hunker (Energy Shield)==
Contributor(s): The_Silencer - original thread

Condensed from original thread

Generates an energy shield around yourself to block/reduce damage from incoming attacks, only lasts for a short duration so it requires good timing to use effectively, long cool-down period.

==Tortoise Shield==
Type: Defensive passive bonus

A large armored shield that covers the backside of your mech that either will directly absorb damage into itself, or greatly reduce damage taken by the mech chassis from behind, does not protect legs. Weighs a lot and reduces rotation speed of mech body.

==Hologram/Decoy==
Contributor(s): HawkenRules123
Type: Deployed defensive abililty

HawkenRules123:

...a mirror image of your mech could appear, it would do no damage...but it would trick people to shoot at it/could help uncover people using the invisibility thing (if they put it in the game)

==Shock Barrier==
Contributor(s): Varaka
Type: Deployed defensive abililty

Place both ends on opposite walls to make a field. The farther appart the weaker the barrier.

Offensive Suggestions
Stuff that makes people explode (preferably not yourself).

==Attack/Support Drones==
Contributor(s): pandm101 - original thread
Type: Deployed Offensive ability

Little floating pods that circle/follow/hover near shoulders of your mech. any of those work, and fire independently/make missiles lock faster/give slight auto aim for the shoulder they are near.

==Proximity Mines== *NOTABLE*
Contributor(s): The_Silencer (+ wyver) - original thread
Type: Deployed offensive ability

Should be self-explanatory, you drop it, someone walks by, it explodes.

The_Silencer:

...1 big mine only per mecha and per spawn as well. Although the possibility of to pick up mines on certain spots of the map is not what i had in mind. I mean, what I'd like to see is 1 mine only per mech and other players being able of picking up 1 mine of some dead player ( only in case players have wasted their own mine already )

wyver:

even an EMP mine would do awesomely how much would it suck / rule if you or another person got hit by and EMP mine and were shut down or crippled in some way like there targeting went down or they could only run away or they're HUD was off line or something i recon that would be awesome

==Mini-Turrets==
Contributor(s): Presumably shown in gameplay video
Type: Deployed offensive ability

A small autonomous turret that can be placed by the player, will attack enemies until it is destroyed or some sort of limiter (runs out of ammo, duration time expires) is reached.

==Hacking Device==
Type: Offensive special ability

A small hacking device that can be shot at an enemy mech. If successfully attached it hacks the mech's systems causing temporary random malfunctions like targeting systems becoming inaccurate, radar showing false readings or not detecting enemies at all, sensors not detecting incoming missiles or giving off false warnings, etc. Maybe it could even affect the more mechanical aspects of the mech, causing problems like erratic movement and weapons malfunctions. It could also be used to hack enemy turrets causing them to stop working, attack friendly targets or even attacking everyone, the effect could be random.

==Claymore Countermeasure==

A series of outwardly aimed directional mines packed with small anti armor submunitions, roughly aimed along your horizontal axis covering 360 degrees around you, out to a 60m radius. Usage is very limited. Triggering it damages anyone within the radius, damage increasing the closer they are to you. Damage is not high however, but it makes for a rude surprise that is hard to avoid. Pro, you are a reusable grenade, Con, have to be close to opponent.

==Improved Auto-Loader==
Type: Passive offensive bonus

Rapid-fire weapons fire rate is increased by 20% however due to bulk, cooling jacket had to be downgraded. weapon overheats 15% faster.

Implementation will depend on whether mechs will depend on an ammo and/or overheat system to limit weapon fire.

==Extended Ammo Supply==
Type: Passive offensive bonus

Hold twice as much more for any given ammo supply.

Implementation will depend on whether mechs will depend on an ammo and/or overheat system to limit weapon fire.

==EMP==
Contributor(s): legionwolff - original thread, HawkenRules123, pandm101

Condensed from original thread

When activated it generates an EMP field that affects all mechs within a certain radius from your mech (could possibly affect yourself as well). Knocks out mech systems temporarily, effect may diminish on further away mechs.

HawkenRules123:

for the emp i think it would be neat if you had to rapidly press a button to recover from it.

pandm101:

I'd prefer multiple button combinations, as if flipping multiple switches and dials to restart.

==OMS Module (Off-Map Support)==

Communications device that allows the mech pilot to call for off-map support, in the form of artillery/air strikes, ammo drop offs, etc. While targeting the area for the drop off or air/artillery strike the mech needs to remain stationary for a bit, making it vulnerable to attacks, if the mech is destroyed, or takes enough damage, the call for support is canceled.

==Magnetic Field Generator==
Contributor(s): Lord_Porksword

Weighs Mechs towards the ground slowing movement and also inhibiting jumping and flying.

==Paint (Gun_)==
Contributor(s): Lord_Porksword

Splash an enemy cockpit window with some paint so the player can't see clearly. Make it so they have to fly so the paint runs off the screen or incomming lasers/projectiles remove the paint.

==Twin Weapon Link==
Type: Passive offensive ability

Re-worded from original

A very costly piece of kit. Have to sacrifice a lot of weight/space/other equipment to fit it on. Allows you to mount an additional weapon (along the lines of MG, shotgun, etc) The extra weapon will essentially be underslung onto your existing weapon and fires when you fire the original. This leads naturally to higher damage output, but also leads to overheating very quickly.

==Flash Bangs==

Temporarily blinds and disorients mechs caught in its blast radius.

==Real Time Weapon Change==
Type: Special Ability

An extra pair of arms that swaps weapons on the fly for you. You will have a wider arsenal of weapons, at the cost of reduced shield power (or greatly increased weight). Your selection of weapons will also have reduced ammunition since the capacity for ammo stays the same.

==Ice Thrower==
Type: Offensive special Ability

Makes ground slippery.

Other Thingys
Stuff that doesn't fit it the previous two sections (like cup holders)

==Upgraded Shock Absorbers==
Type: Passive bonus

Improves the suspension of your mech thus lowering the effect of weight, allowing increased movement speed and mobility. Downside is that it takes up space that could have been used for other special equipment.

==ECM Package==
Type: Passive effect

Enemies within range of your ecm have difficulty pinpointing sensor contacts as the contact dots blink and zig zag erratically over a a large general area. Can be countered with another rival ecm package, which will cancel each other out. Whichever team has more ecms in any given area gains the benefit of the ecm field. However due to the strong signals being broadcast by the ecm, missile locks require only half the time to be acquired on a ecm equipped mech. Pro, ruin enemy radar, con, make yourself a missile magnet.

==Heatsink==
Contributor(s): Flyingdebris, HappyApathy

Flyingdebris:

Increases your cooling rate, however, for each additional heatsink, your enemies can lock on to you just a little easier.

HappyApathy:

Alternatively could add a small rate of fire increase for all weapons. Another idea for a consequence of equipping this is that it simply could be a heavy piece of equipment.

==High powered jumpjets==

More powerful than standard jets, but consume fuel 25% faster and causes you heat. Lets you jump higher and/or fly for a longer duration.

==Long Range Sensors==

Lets you detect opponents at longer radar range. Possible downsides, takes up space that could be used for other equipment and/or makes you easier to detect as well.

==Coolant Pod==
Type: Special ability

Limited use piece of equipment to drastically drop your heat level before it becomes a problem, however flushing your system with high pressure coolant significantly slows down your movement temporarily, so its still something dicey to do in combat.

==Mechanical Jump Boosters==

Lets you perform short jumps even when your jump jet fuel is dry. If you have jump jet fuel, you'll get a slight boost into the air when you just them to go upwards from a standing position.

==Airborne Thruster==
Contributor(s): Man Eating Boar - original thread

Despite the creative name, using it will confuse people to its purpose, until further details of the game are released I suggest using more 'basic' names to convey the general purpose of the item.

Allows you to momentarily distort physics, allowing you to perform sudden unexpected changes while in mid air.

==Smoke Grenade (Launcher/Generator_)==
Contributor(s): The_Silencer (+ legionwolff) - original thread

The_Silencer:

I'd suggest 2 or 3 Smoke Grenades only per mecha. Different smoke colors in team based games might be a good addition as well. In FFAs the the color of the SGs could be the same for every player in the battlefield though.

legionwolff:

Smoke grenades would be very handy in this game. Though I would personally prefer a smoke screen emission from my own Mech rather than tossing a smoke at someone else. But hey i'm a fan of either.

==Remote Spy Cam==

It's usefulness depends on the type of the game. A small remote camera that can be placed on any surface (maybe even on the mechs themselves) and lasts until the battery dies or until shot. The video feed could be broadcasted directly into the mechs HUD (maybe even for the whole team) or the player could access the camera at any time in full screen for best detail, but while doing this he remains vulnerable.

While having this last idea I thought it would be cool if you could shoot a spy cam into a teammate so you could see what he sees thus making it easy to coordinate some tactic that require a certain amount of teamwork, but maybe a feature like this could already come by default as part of the team's communication

==Fake Radar Blip Drones== *NOTABLE*
Contributor(s): The_Silencer (+ Flyingdebris + Dem + Jack Dandy) - original thread
Type: Deployed Special Ability

The_Silencer:

Simply little drones to fake radar blips. Once more this should add some few interesting tactics in the game. I'd say one FRB drone per mecha and if possible destroyable by enemy, or depending on lobby settings, friendly fire as well.

These Fake Radar Blip "Drones", as mortal entities in the game, would have no movement at all. So your opponent might think that you're using one of these or that you're trying to ambush him by just staying quiet there. The geometry of the maps, as we have seen in the gameplay trailer, go with several structures with different heights, tunnels and/or corridors and et cetera

The lifetime and mobility for these sound as pretty interesting mechanics to me. I think that, as max.,... no. If you can somehow* move these around then I'd suggest 1 fake radar blip per mecha. If they are static entities who just stay there once you drop them ( so behaving like a mine, so to speak ) then put 2 or 3 as max. per mecha.

Flyingdebris:

i don't think it'd break radar use if there was a subtle tell to something being a FRD rather than an actual player. For instance if its movement patterns and speed were just a little different from how a the average jetpacking robot's radar sig would move.

Dem:

I think if they were to be implemented, then they should be some sort of placeable object, similar to the turrets we've seen. And if they are placeable, they could be used in two ways I think.

They could be a single object that you carry around and when you lay it down, it would set out multiple fake blips until it is destroyed. Or, they could be multiple things you carry around and when you set them down they would create a single blip right there for a set amount of time.

Jack Dandy:

Yeah... have it take a little pre-determined path, let it float around. Could be cool, and sure to surprise people who think they've got you.

==Rappel/Cable Lines==

a pair of compact, rear mounted, downward facing, mass accelerators, launch deep penetrating spikes into the ground where a mech is standing. The spikes are attached to a set of high tensile cables and a high speed winch system.

you can't use them to spiderman around, and you have to actually be standing on a surface for them to work, otherwise they won't fire.

What they'd let you do is essentially, attach to the top of a building and lower/raise yourself. Letting you position yourself in very unusual places. If used solely on a horizontal surface, they can quickly zip you backwards (though not forwards, obviously).

splash damage severs the lines, any direct hits to the lines severs them, using jump jets or running out of slack auto severs the lines.

==Mesh Network Satellite Scan==

Not that simple, but the idea is that you drop a series of spikes in open clearings that direct a nearby satellite to scan the area inside them.
All non-friendly units become visible on your radar and have their radars jammed.

You need three to set up an area.
Enemies can find and break the chain, however as long as the other two nodes remain you can drop another spike and it will function again.

This is a sustainable and potentially permanent satellite system.
Since they have their own uplink, until all of them are deployed they are visible on the radar to everybody.

Multiple players can synchronize their drop pattern in order to set-up and sustain the network faster.
Competing networks will cancel each other out in the overlapping area.

==Horizontal Boosters==

While you're on the ground, you can use these to quickly ascend or rapidly dash forward. They use the same fuel source as your thrusters, but are concentrated bursts of thrust. You can use the momentum from Boosters to gain more agility in the air, giving you a rapid take-off that increases overall flight speed at the cost of initial fuel consumption.

#2 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:31 PM

RESERVED SPACE - in case the first post gets too big  ;)

#3 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:32 PM

RESERVED SPACE - in the unlikely scenario the 2nd post runs out of space  :shock:

#4 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 04 2011 - 10:25 PM

warning long ass list  :lol:

Reactive armor: 40% damage resistance to direct hits, however any direct hit will reduce its resistance in roughly the same way due to its ablative nature.  Potentially dropping it to -15 resistance.  Pro, good vs powerful explosive weapons, Con, can be easily messed up pretty bad by machineguns, shotguns, and any other  high ROF weapon.

Reinforced armor: 40% damage resistance vs splash damage.  and 15% more armor points.  However movement speed, acceleration, and overall agility are reduced by 25%
Pro, makes you capable of dealing with splash damage fairly well, Con, though at a cost to maneuverability.

Light Armor: Light weight armor has 30% less protection, however, allows for more freedom of movement, so agility, speed, and acceleration are improved 25% and 15% better heat efficiency

Ultra Heavy Armor: 35% resistance to both direct hits and splash and 40% more armor, However speed, acceleration and agility are reduced 50% and you consume JJet fuel at 2x the normal rate.  you are really tough, but you are a very easy target.

Stealth Armor: Gives you the ability to hide from enemy sensors.  However it provides 25% less protection, 10% less heat efficiency (since it has to hide your heatsink output) and stops working below 30% health.  But so long as you are not jumping or shooting, or practically standing next to your opponent, you can very easily hide. Pro, sneaky, Con, bad for stand up fight.

Anti missile cage: protects vs missile damage negating 80% of their damage so long as you are above 80% health. after which the missile cage is too damaged to help. Pro, cheap missile protection for the early part of a fight. Con, opponent can simply opt to shoot the cage off first before shooting missiles at you.

Anti missile system: small turret that autonomously attempts (attempts being the operative word) to shoot down incoming missiles with a laser.  Works best when you are moving slow or are standing still.  Pro, can protect you from missiles consistently, Con, to protect you well, you have to be a sitting duck for most other types of weapons.

Claymore surprise countermeasure:  a series of outwardly aimed directional mines packed with small anti armor submunitions, roughly aimed along your horizontal axis covering 360 degrees around you, out to a 60m radius.  Usage is very limited.  Triggering it damages anyone within the radius, damage increasing the closer they are to you.  Damage is not high however, but it makes for a rude surprise that is hard to avoid.  Pro, you are a reusable grenade, Con, have to be close to opponent.

ECM package:  enemies within range of your ecm have difficulty pinpointing sensor contacts as the contact dots blink and zig zag erratically over a a large general area.  Can be countered with another rival ecm package, which will cancel each other out.  Whichever team has more ecms in any given area gains the benefit of the ecm field.  However due to the strong signals being broadcast by the ecm, missile locks require only half the time to be acquired on a ecm equipped mech.  Pro, ruin enemy radar, con, make yourself a missile magnet.

Incendiary ammo module:  Can be applied to any missile or heavy ballistic weapon system.  Weapon deals 60% less damage, gains 30% wider splash radius, imparts heat on target as it sets it on fire for a short while.

Armor piercing ammo module:  Can be applied to any heavy ballistic weapon system.  Weapon loses 75% of its splash radius, 20% of its splash damage, but deals 50% more damage on a direct hit.

High explosive ammo module:  Can be applied to any heavy ballistic weapon system. Weapon gains 50% more splash radius, deals 30% less damage.

High velocity ammo module:  Can be applied to any light ballistic weapon system.  Weapon gains 40% faster projectile speed and does 25% more damage, however, it causes considerably more recoil and faster heat build up.

Precision missile ammo module:  Can be applied to any missile launcher weapon system.  Missiles gain 25% faster projectile speed and 30% better tracking ability, however they do 25% less damage

Heavier warheads missile ammo module:  can be applied to any missile launcher weapon system.  Missiles lose 35% tracking ability, but deal 30% more damage.

Area saturation missile ammo module:  can be applied to any missile launcher weapon system.  Missiles no longer require target locks.  Instead they will individually seek out targets, spreading out evenly among multiple targets to do so. However they are 40% slower than standard and do 10% less damage.  Great for spamming into a crowd, not too great for lone opponents.

Extra heatsinks: increases your cooling rate, however, for each additional heatsink, your enemies can lock on to you just a little easier.

High powered jumpjets:  more powerful than standard jets, but consume fuel 25% faster and cause you heat.

Higher power ammo feed system/autoloader: ballistic weapons only, weapon fire rate is increased by 20% however due to bulk, cooling jacket had to be downgraded. weapon overheats 15% faster.

Smoke nade launchers: let you pop smoke to cover escapes.

Long range sensors. Let you detect opponents at longer radar range.  downside, the strong signals you send out make it so you show up on their sensors too.

Extended ammo supply: hold twice as much more for any given ammo supply,

Coolant pod, limited use piece of equipment to drastically drop your heat level before it becomes a problem, however flushing your system with high pressure coolant significantly slows down your movement temporarily, so its still something dicey to do in combat.

Mechanical Jump boosters.  Lets you perform short jumps even when your jump jet fuel is dry.  If you have jump jet fuel, you'll get a slight boost into the air when you just them to go upwards from a standing position
Mech time all the time

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 05 2011 - 12:27 PM

In case that your main idea is to put all together every relevant suggestion posted on this forum and for a better reading by the Devs then  I'm cool with your initiative.

I opened a thread in April 20 in order to discuss on Counter-meassures and  Damage Absorber E shields. Nevertheless we did not discuss much on their functionalities at that time.

viewtopic.php_f=7&t=36

Additionally, I've recently opened a couple of threads to discuss on Smoke Grenades and Fake Radar Blip Drones.

I think these might be a good addition as well... :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 legionwolff1

legionwolff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 12:35 PM

Add my EMP device page if you like it.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,"

#7 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 03:52 PM

I like this topic, it's organized and easy to read multiple ideas in one location.  Sometimes good suggestions get buried and lost in the sea of topics so this kind of reference is nice for us.

#8 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 10:44 AM

Heres some more ideas:

OMS Module (Off-Map Support)

Communications device that allows the mech pilot to call for off-map support, in the form of artillery/air strikes, ammo drop offs, etc. While targeting the area for the drop off or air/artillery strike the mech needs to remain stationary for a bit, making it vulnerable to attacks, if the mech is destroyed, or takes enough damage, the call for support is canceled.

Energy Barrier Generator

A deployable generator that, once placed, creates an energy barrier that blocks off enemy fire (can be weak to certain types of weapons) providing cover until the generator battery is depleted or until destroyed. Can also be used to block passages, like tunnels and underpasses, creating traps. When placed in the open enemy mechs can easily jump over it with jump-jets, but that depends on the shape of the barrier.

Hacking Device

A small hacking device that can be shot at an enemy mech. If successfully attached it hacks the mech's systems causing temporary random malfunctions like targeting systems becoming inaccurate, radar showing false readings or not detecting enemies at all, sensors not detecting incoming missiles or giving off false warnings, etc. Maybe it could even affect the more mechanical aspects of the mech, causing problems like erratic movement and weapons malfunctions. It could also be used to hack enemy turrets causing them to stop working, attack friendly targets or even attacking everyone, the effect could be random.

Remote Spy Cam

It's usefulness depends on the type of the game. A small remote camera that can be placed on any surface (maybe even on the mechs themselves) and lasts until the battery dies or until shot. The video feed could be broadcasted directly into the mechs HUD (maybe even for the whole team) or the player could access the camera at any time in full screen for best detail, but while doing this he remains vulnerable.

While having this last idea I thought it would be cool if you could shoot a spy cam into a teammate so you could see what he sees thus making it easy to coordinate some tactic that require a certain amount of teamwork, but maybe a feature like this could already come by default as part of the team's communication.

#9 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 09 2011 - 09:18 PM

How about a melee weapon of some kind. would be very hard to lad a hit, but make it deal heavy damage.
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#10 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 04:48 PM

SickDownlink said:

How about a melee weapon of some kind. would be very hard to lad a hit, but make it deal heavy damage.

congrats, your first on the list of blokes.

#11 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 10 2011 - 05:47 PM

I didn't see my idea posted so hopefully I didn't miss an post already suggesting it...

I'm a big fan of UT3 (well I should say I spend more time in the editor than playing it) and one thing I alway include in my maps is the Redeemer mainly cuz I like big weapons that add a nice random element into gameplay that can drasticly change the situation on the battlefield with which players have to try and recover quickly from.

Therfore my sugestion is to have some superweapon that can only be used once in a while.

Some ideas are:

Mini nuke or high explosive. - Have it knock the Mechs to their backs leaving them venerable while they get up.  Also have the flash cause temporary blindness or blurred/distorted vision.

Oribtal strike beacon.  - Players/Teams  could capture a beacon node that eventually produces a beacon that can be dropped on the battlefield and 10 seconds later and orbiting satellite could bombard the area near the becon.

Air Strike becon. - Same as before except a ship (like the one from the vid) flys past blasting the area damaging any mechs nearby.

-----

Maybe some kind of magnetic field generator that weighs Mechs towards the ground slowing movement and also inhibiting jumping and flying.

Sounds silly but even a painting device could be very handy.  Splash an enemy cockpit window with some paint so the player can't see clearly.  Make it so they have to fly so the paint runs off the screen or incomming lasers/projectiles remove the paint.
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#12 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 07:03 PM

okay major update, Porksword I left out your two 'beacon' suggestions because they really aren't 'equipment' that can be put on your mech.

#13 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 11 2011 - 09:05 AM

Rappel Lines: a pair of compact, rear mounted, downward facing, mass accelerators, launch deep penetrating spikes into the ground where a mech is standing.  The spikes are attached to a set of high tensile cables and a high speed winch system.

you can't use them to spiderman around, and you have to actually be standing on a surface for them to work, otherwise they won't fire.

What they'd let you do is essentially, attach to the top of a building and lower/raise yourself.  Letting you position yourself in very unusual places.  If used solely on a horizontal surface, they can quickly zip you backwards (though not forwards, obviously).

splash damage severs the lines, any direct hits to the lines severs them, using jump jets or running out of slack auto severs the lines.

twin linked light weapon hardpoint A very costly piece of kit.  Have to sacrifice a lot of weight/space/other equipment to fit it on.  but it allows you to mount an additional light weapon (along the lines of MG, shotgun, etc)  The extra weapon will essentially be underslung onto your existing light weapon and fires when you fire the original.
This leads naturally to higher damage output, but also leads to overheating very quickly.
Mech time all the time

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:21 PM

You've put a great effort into this thread, HappyApathy!. Cool and congrats, man. ;)

I'm also pretty amazed on the good amount of feedback that community members are providing for the Hawken game. This is very promising, indeed!. :)

P.S. Just one thing... One of the *NOTABLE* tags in your list are not in green. Does that mean anything in special_.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#15 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 05:57 PM

The_Silencer said:

You've put a great effort into this thread, HappyApathy!. Cool and congrats, man. ;)

I'm also pretty amazed on the good amount of feedback that community members are providing for the Hawken game. This is very promising, indeed!. :)

Seconding this ^

And this thread should be stickied for easier access  :)

#16 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted May 11 2011 - 08:00 PM

My idea

Flare mortor that can be launched and blinds foes too close too it.

Thats my idea
(/^▽^)/

#17 JetUppercut

JetUppercut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 04:03 AM

I always have ideas.

Chaff:

Fairly simple concept, chaff distracts radars.
Homing missiles will malfunction, but due to it's brightness and it's radar pattern, it will make you more obvious to other players when deployed.

Best used in the air, since that is where you are most vulnerable to attack from homing missiles.

Real Time Weapon Change:

An extra pair of arms that swaps weapons on the fly for you.
You will have a wider arsenal of weapons, at the cost of reduced shield power.
Your selection of weapons will also have reduced ammunition since the capacity for ammo stays the same.

Mesh Network Satellite Scan:

Not that simple, but the idea is that you drop a series of spikes in open clearings that direct a nearby satellite to scan the area inside them.
All non-friendly units become visible on your radar and have their radars jammed.

You need three to set up an area.
Enemies can find and break the chain, however as long as the other two nodes remain you can drop another spike and it will function again.

This is a sustainable and potentially permanent satellite system.
Since they have their own uplink, until all of them are deployed they are visible on the radar to everybody.

Multiple players can synchronize their drop pattern in order to set-up and sustain the network faster.
Competing networks will cancel each other out in the overlapping area.

Disposable Armor Paneling:

Additional sheets of metal you can attach to your mech, that once you sustain a certain level of damage can be shed to gain much more speed and movement as well as less fuel consumption. As it initially takes up lots of room on your mech, it will be for longer matches that require you to survive for longer, or skilled players who need that survivability to stay in the game longer between respawns.

Boosters:

While you're on the ground, you can use these to quickly ascend or rapidly dash forward. They use the same fuel source as your thrusters, but are concentrated bursts of thrust.
You can use the momentum from Boosters to gain more agility in the air, giving you a rapid take-off that increases overall flight speed at the cost of initial fuel consumption.

Liquid Coolant Suit:

When circumstances call for it, you can reroute coolant to external pipes that will soak the exterior of your Mech. This will make you invisible to heat-seeking missiles as well as on Thermal Imagery, but you will be very prone to overheating during this period.

I suppose this will do for now, I have a lot of other ideas but they don't suit the theme of this thread.

#18 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:03 PM

Shields

What do you think about having the ability to equip a solid metal shield on one arm as a replacement for a second weapon_

The shield could passively increase your HP, or is could soak up damage if hit and have its own HP count, once it's hp reaches 0 it would be destroyed and your mech would drop it.

the shield would probably make your moment slower until dropped.

they could make different kinds of shields.

Very light - lowest shield hp/ hp gain, no movement loss, small size

Light - low shield hp/ hp gain, little movement loss, small size

Medium - average shield hp/ hp gain, average movement loss, average size

Heavy - high shield hp/ hp gain, very noticeable movement loss / uses jet fuel faster while flying, large size

Very heavy - lots of shield hp/ hp gain, even more movement loss / uses jet fuel even faster while flying, large size

Behemoth - Huge shield hp/ hp gain (almost as much hp as small mechs), same movement loss as very heavy / renders the user unable to jump/ fly at all, BIG size, maybe blocking some of the users vision from the cockpit, only usable by heavy class mechs.  
Posted Image

#19 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 14 2011 - 07:59 PM

Defensive Flares

Pods that are equipped to your mech that, on command, fire flares to misguide incoming heat-seeking missiles. Just like the kind on fighter jets. They would have a limited number of rounds, so you would have to use them wisely.
Posted Image

#20 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 08:00 AM

Varaka said:

My ideas:

Offensive/Defensive:
Fuel line which can be used at close range to shoot a small jet of flame which can temporarely disorientate and do a bit of damage to an enemy Mech.

EMP burst which disables yourself and any enemies close to you for a very short time which you can use to think.

Offensive:
Flare mortor can be launched and blinds foes too close too it.

Napalm mortar can be launched and will do a bit of damage and temporarely disoriant the enemy.

Defensive:
Portable energy wall (PCW) can be thrown down and give a quick moment of strategic thinking or wimpy running while your opponent destroys it.
Can be seen through and isn't to strong so it doesn't slow gameplay to badly.

Tinted windows which can reduce the effects of flares and other light devices.

Thats my ideas.

Sorry man but half those ideas fall into the weapons area, or already been suggested before (EMP and energy wall). Your first suggestion is essentially a flamethrower and a napalm mortar sounds an awful lot like a weapon.

Although the blinding flares is new. Tinted windows is stretching the term 'equipment' if you ask me though.  ;)

SickDownlink said:

Defensive Flares

Pods that are equipped to your mech that, on command, fire flares to misguide incoming heat-seeking missiles. Just like the kind on fighter jets. They would have a limited number of rounds, so you would have to use them wisely.

Not to pick on you, but that's already been mentioned before. Their called counter-measures and were one of the original suggestions posted. Because this has popped up a few time I've expanded its name so hopefully future people will see we already have it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users