HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll, Melee weapons_

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_ (973 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_

1. Yes! (438 votes [45.77%])

Percentage of vote: 45.77%

2. No! (299 votes [31.24%])

Percentage of vote: 31.24%

3. Only if it is not to hard to implement. (196 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. I don't care. (24 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 10 2011 - 12:08 PM

A melee weapon could be a saw or an energy blade, or whatever works with the rest of the game. I think that having a melee weapon would make the game more diverse and interesting. It would be hard to lad a hit but if you did, i could deal out of serious damage. this would lead to some very aggressive play styles that require a lot of skill to pull of.
yea maybe a sword would look out of place, but what about a flamethrower, or a huge saw of some kind. Now that would be epic, playing very aggressively rushing an opponent and cooking the pilot alive, or cutting open the hull of their mech.

They could also do some different kind of damage...
Maybe have the flamethrower cause the opponent's weapons to overheat faster, or slow down the movement of their mech. This could be very interesting and allow for more diverse play styles.

i am all for melee weapons, but as said before, they should fit the hawken look, with i believe saws or flamethrowers would.

so what do you think, should melee weapons have a place in Hawken_
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#2 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 12:49 PM

When creating a new topic, you will find the poll creation section below the text box. There, you can list the voting-options that will be available, determine how long the poll will last, and permit users to re-cast their vote. On your request, I can delete this thread so that you may have another go at making a poll.

#3 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 10 2011 - 12:54 PM

Fixed
Posted Image

#4 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 01:24 PM

It's located below the bar that holds the "Preview," "Submit," "Save," and "Cancel" functions. You won't find it if you are posting a reply in an extisting thread, it's available only when creating a new topic altogether.

#5 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 10 2011 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

#6 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 01:43 PM

All users should be able to create polls on this site. If the Poll Creation section isn't even appearing for you, then something is definitely up. This is what it should look like when you click on "New Topic." I'll let our Admin know about this so we can get it sorted out.

#7 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 03:08 PM

Alright. We think it'll work now.  :D  Give the poll a whirl and let me know how it goes.

#8 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 05:40 PM

we kinda already have an onging topics on melee weapons or ramming your opponent:

viewtopic.php_f=7&t=102
viewtopic.php_f=7&t=109

#9 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:07 PM

Needs more votes, let the developers know what you would like guys.
Posted Image

#10 beetlecore

beetlecore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostSickDownlink, on May 10 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

A melee weapon could be a saw or an energy blade, or whatever works with the rest of the game. I think that having a melee weapon would make the game more diverse and interesting. It would be hard to lad a hit but if you did, i could deal out of serious damage. this would lead to some very aggressive play styles that require a lot of skill to pull of.
yea maybe a sword would look out of place, but what about a flamethrower, or a huge saw of some kind. Now that would be epic, playing very aggressively rushing an opponent and cooking the pilot alive, or cutting open the hull of their mech.

They could also do some different kind of damage...
Maybe have the flamethrower cause the opponent's weapons to overheat faster, or slow down the movement of their mech. This could be very interesting and allow for more diverse play styles.

i am all for melee weapons, but as said before, they should fit the hawken look, with i believe saws or flamethrowers would.

so what do you think, should melee weapons have a place in Hawken_

Hi all, I think this is unnecessary because the game is very dynamic and is unlikely to be the time it "saw" or "Knife"
p.s. sorry translated by googletranslate

#11 BlazeOn

BlazeOn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted September 18 2012 - 10:10 AM

Couldn't read the question until i highlighted with my cursor.

im ok w/ melee as long as its not like the op knife in Call of Doody. :ph34r:

#12 Revel

Revel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:19 PM

i don't think melee weapons would be necessary because i personally view this game as a sort of apocalyptic time where rusty future machinery would be used like the mechs and not giant swords or the like. i really can't imagine a robot that's of the hawken's design wielding sword/daggers/pencils/etc, unless it's attached onto them so they can rush with it attached in front lol, like a unicorn

#13 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:47 PM

I don't think it's far fetched for a mech to have some sort of piston powered metal spike on its arm that you can punch holes into your opponent with.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#14 Namru9

Namru9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:51 PM

I would say no, as going against another mech, a ranged attack would be best and what would more than likely be the best route.  Logistically speaking also, I don't think equipping of a melee weapon, nor the mobility of a Mech really go hand in hand.

Posted Image

#15 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:57 PM

It makes sense logistics-wise; you're in a wasteland of urban area and you run out of bullets, what are you going to do without your piston spike arm_ Or maybe some kind of large harpoon on a chain. I would put a way to wreck things without bullets/missiles on my mech.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#16 ichihollow

ichihollow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, TN

Posted September 19 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostModnarSarhp, on September 19 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

I don't think it's far fetched for a mech to have some sort of piston powered metal spike on its arm that you can punch holes into your opponent with.

Interesting thing with Hawken is the noise I've heard about it using the Unreal 3 engine, one of my favorite weapons is the impact hammer, which i could see EASILY fitting onto one of these mechs without standing out.

Also from a practical standpoint ammo for firearms is a legit concern, as I haven't played Hawken yet I'm interested in how they plan on dealing with this.  Will it be unlimited ammo with heat limits, ammo drops randomly, ammo containers in specified areas, and/or "left from dead"_  With ammo limitations in mind having a melee weapon with out ammo restrictions would be nice.

One last thing to add, since this game appears to at least have siege/defend style game play, where it's neccessary to destroy buildings, emplacements, or ships, having a weapon that deals impact damage will probably make the difference in destroing the designated target, especally things like turrets.  Just my two cents, but like everyone else, i'll just be excited about actual game play!
Posted Image

#17 Namru9

Namru9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted September 20 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostModnarSarhp, on September 19 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

It makes sense logistics-wise; you're in a wasteland of urban area and you run out of bullets, what are you going to do without your piston spike arm_ Or maybe some kind of large harpoon on a chain. I would put a way to wreck things without bullets/missiles on my mech.

I completely forgot about the impact hammer, one of my favs for the fast kill if you can get in close enough before being blasted down.

Posted Image

#18 T3chnicality

T3chnicality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationFlushing, New York

Posted September 20 2012 - 11:50 AM

personally i have an idea of some sick mini chain saw. It would be knife sized not sure if making it a single jab attack would be good or something like a click and hold deal. But it definitely could work, say your weapons over heat and you've got two enemy mechs closing in. There's no time to wait for your weapon systems to cool. So you whip out your trusty "chain saw knife", or energy knife and shenk your way out.

Also as the world they've set up, with the lore and what not they've hinted at, it looks as though maybe they could implement some kind of weapon systems specific emp, and you'd only be able to use melee weapons for like 30 seconds or something.

Also

View PostModnarSarhp, on September 19 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

^that is a great idea
You can assume what kind of person I am...but you'd be wrong

Posted Image

#19 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 20 2012 - 01:51 PM

If they're going to be that close, why not just be able to kick the fuzzy bunny out of the enemy mech_
Posted Image

#20 T3chnicality

T3chnicality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationFlushing, New York

Posted September 20 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostPhobotech, on September 20 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

If they're going to be that close, why not just be able to kick the fuzzy bunny out of the enemy mech_
That could also be a thing, but wouldn't it be awkward and possibly throw both mechs off balance_
You can assume what kind of person I am...but you'd be wrong

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users