HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll, Melee weapons_

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_ (973 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_

1. Yes! (438 votes [45.77%])

Percentage of vote: 45.77%

2. No! (299 votes [31.24%])

Percentage of vote: 31.24%

3. Only if it is not to hard to implement. (196 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. I don't care. (24 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 20 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostT3chnicality, on September 20 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

That could also be a thing, but wouldn't it be awkward and possibly throw both mechs off balance_

Does it throw them off balance when they're hit with a rocket/missile in mid-pace_ If the chunky machinery that is their legs can sustain landings and generally succeed in keeping the mech upright, I could surmise it. Hypothetically, the system could be capable of shifting intentional weight for a quick almost forward stomp with one leg (like you're kicking down a door, a Duke Nukem kick lol), transferring the attacking leg into a step forward, and resuming stride. It might be a little turbulant from the pilot's perspective, but the function is an attack.
Posted Image

#22 T3chnicality

T3chnicality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationFlushing, New York

Posted September 20 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostPhobotech, on September 20 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Does it throw them off balance when they're hit with a rocket/missile in mid-pace_ If the chunky machinery that is their legs can sustain landings and generally succeed in keeping the mech upright, I could surmise it. Hypothetically, the system could be capable of shifting intentional weight for a quick almost forward stomp with one leg (like you're kicking down a door, a Duke Nukem kick lol), transferring the attacking leg into a step forward, and resuming stride. It might be a little turbulant from the pilot's perspective, but the function is an attack.

Now i c clearly. it makes sense XD don't know why i went all literal
You can assume what kind of person I am...but you'd be wrong

Posted Image

#23 Corvon

Corvon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 21 2012 - 03:57 PM

if it was a specific mech that had melee specialization than it would be awesome (using a flail of sort or a mounted buzzsaw or whatever) but adding one to all mechs would be silly and plain all uncool
besides it will ruin the balance for some classes and weapon sets

#24 Prospect

Prospect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted September 22 2012 - 02:11 AM

Questions like these are smart right now alpha/beta stage and all user's aren't allowed to speak about it because its in the NDR agreement. My advice to and all beta/alpha users "SHHHH".

Operating System: CPU Type:    CPU Speed:   System Memory:      Video Card Model:
Windows 7 SP1     i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz     3.29 GHz          2 GB   GeForce GT 520

#25 Regabond

Regabond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 12:26 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some melee weapons thrown into the mix of things. I wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't though.

#26 vai

vai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 26 2012 - 07:37 PM

You should try and keep things like this in weapon suggestions.  Just my opinion I guess.
No.

#27 Xazhi

Xazhi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:23 AM

I feel like a Melee Weapon would only really work under two conditions:
One being that they are balanced enough to not be overpowered, but still strong enough to stand up to Ranged weapons and make them a viable option in gameplay.
The other being that they aren't like swords or saws or the like. I can't see this design of Mech using something like that. They'd have to be like a Lance or Spear, some kind of polearm like that. Also, if they had a brief charge forward ability, similar to the Chargin' Targe in TF2 (though not nearly as long a run), that would help out greatly.
On the whole though, I feel like Melee Weapons would be an unneccesary addition to the game.

#28 StarCreed

StarCreed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a meele weapon. The game would be perfectly fine without them, but they could be a nice added mechanic. But as with everything, we'd have to try them out and see how they actually work in game.

And they should become a commodity, as a type of gun, NEVER an added function. Just in case anyone thought that melee should become a default function of each mech, I'm stating my opinion loud and clear right now, PLEASE DO NOT make it so.

#29 RedAsgard

RedAsgard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hmph why not, i thoroughly enjoyed Melee weapons in armored core(AC) series, and this seems to be smoother then the AC series, so a jackhammer like S.L.A.I. or dash blade of some type in similar mechanics improvised from AC series would be fairly interesting say the least.

Edited by RedAsgard, September 29 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#30 Pugachev_Cobra

Pugachev_Cobra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCovington, TN

Posted September 30 2012 - 12:43 AM

Not sure I'd actually consider a Flamethrower a melee weapon. It would be cool to increase enemy overheat rate, but it'd be more suited to a secondary weapon or special skill.

Maybe some sort of grapple with the enemy mech, whilst a blowtorch cuts through their cockpit and into the driver_ Would be a good way to sneak up on people while they're repairing!

Good idea, with some refinement the devs may add their own iteration of it into the game.
I provide Dat New New.

#31 Veli

Veli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 02 2012 - 03:19 AM

Well melee medium sized mech would be nice, With either SA Hawkings or Point-D Vulcan in one hand and with some kind of thrust drill weapon in another. No swinging around, no continuous drilling  just rough thrusts once in a few seconds.
:3

#32 Red7

Red7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOTT CAN

Posted October 02 2012 - 01:10 PM

As long  as it's not OP, why not_

#33 Peabody

Peabody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWet Coast, Canada

Posted October 02 2012 - 10:14 PM

No.
Peabody Here
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing

#34 Jehuty0SHIFT

Jehuty0SHIFT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 02 2012 - 11:30 PM

This is what came to mind...

Posted Image

...bit over-the-top, but melee could work particularly for Assault/Bruiser mechs.

#35 Miami

Miami

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 02:35 PM

I actually wouldn't mind melee feature added since most FPS shooters have melee ability for your character

#36 Peabody

Peabody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWet Coast, Canada

Posted October 03 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostMiami, on October 03 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I actually wouldn't mind melee feature added since most FPS shooters have melee ability for your character
And why is doing something because everyone else is doing it, good_ It's not a great way to innovate, that's for sure.

I could see collision damage being consistent with with the current setting and I could see optimisations that could allow you to collide and take less damage than the rig you slammed into. A modified WoT approach.

Edited by Peabody, October 05 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Peabody Here
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing

#37 Valance

Valance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 08:28 PM

I would be in favor of a piston type weapon. It would also be nice to add enough force for the mechs to be pushed apart.

As cool as it would be, blades seem like they wouldn't fit in well. I don't really know what design would fit the mechs. It's not they have large arms, or anything.

#38 Novair

Novair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted October 05 2012 - 08:51 PM

Maybe some kind of mini shield on the arms you could use to dash and bash. You could also customize the look with spikes or chains, etc. It's nice to have options for those moments when you overheat or panic as an enemy comes barreling around a corner.

#39 Sakara

Sakara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 20 2012 - 07:44 AM

Some kind of lance would be cool I guess. Attach it to the mechs right arm for maximum destruction. Fast mechs could simply run at others and do some massive damage.
Maybe a "molten sword" too_ Something that penetrates your armor like hot knife through butter.
....or something. I don't know.

#40 Xyzz

Xyzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted October 20 2012 - 09:27 PM

In my opinion, at this point in time, I would say no. In the future, it could be a possibility ONLY IF the devs decided to implement some sort of campaign where melee weapons are made in order to improve the mechanics and variety of battle.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users