HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll, Melee weapons_

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_ (973 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_

1. Yes! (438 votes [45.77%])

Percentage of vote: 45.77%

2. No! (299 votes [31.24%])

Percentage of vote: 31.24%

3. Only if it is not to hard to implement. (196 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. I don't care. (24 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 PCP_MD

PCP_MD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 06:09 PM

This is what I was thinking when I was thinking "adding melee to Hawken". No gameplay mechanics changes, just a new mech dedicated to melee. That saves the devs having to balance the implications of melee on EVERY mech, and makes it more believeable as well, since none of the current mechs would be designed for melee. This was my concept:

View PostPCP_MD, on April 04 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

Telamoont mentioned a harpoon gun, but i think that's something for a different mech.

A little while back i was thinking it would be cool if there was a melee mech and i even thought of a legit backstory for it.

The Jackhammer - C Class

(I'd make it tanky and construction-equipment-like, with high walk speed for a heavy and terrible air speed)

Originally used for excavation, the Jackhammer was a heavy duty tunneling machine. Outfitted with its namesake Jackhammer on one arm and a harpoon and winch on the other for rappelling, the mech was not originally intended as a battle mech. With recent developments in technology however, engineers were able to adapt a special overdrive reactor to allow for quick bursts of speed, and thrusters for added mobility. The Jackhammer focuses catching a target with its harpoon, then dealing massive damage in close range.

Secondary - Jackhammer
Primary - Harpoon (either pull to target, or pull target to you, or pull both to central location. maybe add in a wall pull functionality.)
Alternate Primary - Shock Net (for immobilization)
Prestige - _
(or secondary is harpoon, primary jackhammer, and alternate and prestige could be other melee)
Ability - Overdrive: Massive speed boost for a short duration.

If they use mechs for combat, they would sure as hell have construction mechs as well. It's not unreasonable that one of those mechs could have been outfitted for combat.

My idea addresses problems with a melee mech, such as having light classes kite a slow melee endlessly, or having a light melee that gets torn to pieces before it can do anything. The harpoon gun would need very careful balancing to prevent light mechs from being instagibbed, but to prevent light mechs from easymode fight against melee mech. I was thinking of having either heat gain from the harpooned mech struggling, or extremely high heat gain from the jackhammer. Seems to me like it would be a really fun mech if balanced properly.

Edit: thought of a legit prestige weapon alternative to a harpoon. An energy shield that heats you up as it takes damage would be cool (albeit harder to balance).

Edited by PCP_MD, April 08 2014 - 04:05 PM.

\m/_(>_<)_\m/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users