HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll, Melee weapons_

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_ (973 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_

1. Yes! (438 votes [45.77%])

Percentage of vote: 45.77%

2. No! (299 votes [31.24%])

Percentage of vote: 31.24%

3. Only if it is not to hard to implement. (196 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. I don't care. (24 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Streij

Streij

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:14 AM

YES! I want melee weapon, but for 1 reason. There is a issue with a overheating, sometimes you got it when enemy have a little amount of armor. So it will be good to have melee, slow and pretty weak, but enugh to finish weaked enemy.
Also, I have an idea about melee mech. With not many damage, but just to control and weak enemies helping to teammates to kill them. For example EMP blade that add heat, or corrosive glove to make enemy get more damage from bullets or get less repairig.

#162 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 23 2014 - 04:51 AM

NO JUST NO

Posted Image

#163 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:45 AM

Personally, I'm fine with melee as long it fits with the whole theme of HAWKEN.  That being said, I'm not sure many do,  However, it would be either very OP in short range or a complete joke.

#164 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostStreij, on March 23 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

YES! I want melee weapon, but for 1 reason. There is a issue with a overheating, sometimes you got it when enemy have a little amount of armor. So it will be good to have melee, slow and pretty weak, but enugh to finish weaked enemy.
Also, I have an idea about melee mech. With not many damage, but just to control and weak enemies helping to teammates to kill them. For example EMP blade that add heat, or corrosive glove to make enemy get more damage from bullets or get less repairig.
Learn to manage heat.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#165 Shuben

Shuben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 23 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Personally, I'm fine with melee as long it fits with the whole theme of HAWKEN.  That being said, I'm not sure many do,  However, it would be either very OP in short range or a complete joke.
I also think it would be good if it fits the Hawken post apocalyptic and it would be funny to see mechs chasing other mechs with a metal pipe :P

Edited by Shuben, March 23 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#166 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostShuben, on March 23 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 23 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

I also think it would be good if it fits the Hawken post apocalyptic and it would be funny to see mechs chasing other mechs with a metal pipe :P

Haha!  I think a weapon what would fit into the Hawken Universe would be a pile driver or a chainsaw type weapon or a offensive/defensive blockade shield.  Anything similar to Beam Saber and a sword (aka Gundam), or anything super ridiculous would NOT fit into this universe.

#167 Zilph

Zilph

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:54 PM

With the way the game currently works, melee would be a very bad idea unless the dynamics and flow of the game was remodelled slightly to implement it. The available weapons already do hefty amounts of damage, so melee should NOT be something people would use to deal out close range damage.

If a light mech with a Point-D Vulcan or a Flak Cannon charges you, they shouldn't have a melee in addition to that to deal out extra advantageous damage. Getting into that close range is already a huge advantage because the victim's explosive weaponry is now doing splash damage to themselves. So why give close range rushers and rear ambushers more power_

HOWEVER... and this is a big, BIG however...

Melee could be used as a last resort instead of a nifty way to deal out close range damage. It could be used to hinder a mech that makes the mistake of getting too close.

Example: "As a heavy mech who isn't in fortified mode, a light mech rushes you and begins to take advantage of close range damage, along with you dealing splash damage to yourself. You keep dodging to the side but they keep moving too close to handle. While they cirle you in this close range hell, you time it right the next moment they're in front of you, and you melee them. Your mech headbutts/shunts/shoves/kicks them, forcing them AWAY from you. You could use this opportunity to deal some safe damage to them with your explosives, or possibly 180 and try to escape."

Either way, my point is that melee shouldn't deal damage (or at least too much damage, comparable to a tow rocket or something else of the like). Rather than seeing the advantage of getting up close to melee, it should be the other way around. It should make you wary of getting in too close, so that you aren't shoved away so that everyone can take easy hits on you. Or, instead of being pushed away, similar effects could work. The melee'd mech could be slowed for a moment, or even a disorienting effect (weapons knocked out of stability, something like that) which would be similar to an EMP or ISM, but for a MUCH smaller duration. I'd say one or the other, not both. Being shoved away AND having a status effect seems a tad overkill.

And you know what is so beautiful about this idea_ Weight classes. A, B & C. The lights, who would take advantage of melee the most by being able to get in close so easily, shouldn't be the ones to benefit from it. Their last resort is easy mobility to escape or dodge in battle, but mediums and ESPECIALLY heavies don't exactly have that luxury. Now I'm not saying that lights should be at a disadvantage, all I'm saying is that with their ability to get in close much easier than other mechs, melee could be easily abused. So the solution is weight classes, with weight backing the power of a melee.

Heavy mechs, although a little slower in performing a melee, would probably be the strongest melee in effect. All the more reason to not get up close to one. It works okay on other heavies, even better on mediums, and a devastating effect if landed on a light. I think that works out well, since you can't move fast enough to get within a light's melee range, unless the light made the mistake of coming to you. And it'd work similarly down the classes. Mediums do okay against mediums, not so well against heavies, and do well against lights. Lights do okay against lights, not so well against mediums... and lets just say that you shouldn't expect too much of a result if you try to melee a heavy. Lastly, I don't know if melee would work if you're a heavy in fortified mode. Maybe something with half the effect, or not at all_ Depends on the method of melee, whether it's a kick or a shove or... whatever.

...But I'm just one guy with an odd idea. Please, criticise this if you please, constructive preferable. I want to see what people think. To the guy above who said there were other melee discussions going on, feel free to copy paste this over there if you want to (Just make sure you plop my name on it XD). I may even paste this as a standalone thread in the suggestions section, just to start up newer discussion on the possibility of implementing melee.

TL;DR Don't make melee an advantage with damage. Make it a last resort to hinder someone who makes the mistake of getting close. Light mechs move faster and get in close easily, so they have the weakest melee. Heavies on the other hand, while slow moving and more difficult to get in close, have the strongest. But weakest and strongest ISN'T damage, it's how much a melee would hinder the victim.

#168 xXxHeathcliff

xXxHeathcliff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:55 PM

lets not forget what saved eva 01 life as well as Gypsy Danger.
My Rig: Core i5 3450-
GPU: Nvidia 630-
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912-
Favorite Game Genere: First Person Shooter

#169 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted March 30 2014 - 12:12 AM

I think it would be an interesting mech if they manage to make it some what competitive. If the devs manage to make that work it would open the doors to some pretty interesting mechs. Just think a mech that uses a riot shield as it's secondary that it puts up when you hit the button to block X damage, but has a weak gun as it's primary so it's not OP. As for the mech's name.. um well it's kinda ovious, "Defender" or "Greatwall".

Posted Image

#170 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted March 30 2014 - 01:23 AM

Why do u think flamethrower is a melee weapon_
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#171 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted March 30 2014 - 05:20 AM

This is HAWKEN, that means NO melee!

#172 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted March 30 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostSandSpider, on March 30 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

This is HAWKEN, that means NO melee!
Awww does that mean we'll never get to know how it feels to have a good jousting tournament_ :(

Posted Image

#173 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted March 30 2014 - 05:47 AM

LOL, I guess not :P

#174 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 07:23 AM

Why don't the people wanting melee jump into a vanguard with miniflak, scout with miniflak or flak, brawler with flak and just facehug people so it seems like a melee_

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#175 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted March 30 2014 - 11:08 AM

Wow. This thread has been cranking forever. I wonder if OP is ever gonna come back and check on it....
So, it seems melee map is more or less dead, if it's been a subject for so long, and hasn't come back. Or, on a more positive note, maybe devs will promise it Soon, and it'll be implemented a year or so later (a'la clan support).
:D

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#176 inasio

inasio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 07:16 PM

Terrible idea

#177 USM999

USM999

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 11:36 AM

ROBOT FISTS! That's right! It will be great to have the left mouse button for the left fist and right click for the right fist and hold the button down to charge up a left hook. It's too bad that these mechs are not humanoid types and more based off of animals.

Because if they were a lot more like Gundams they would be something like this.

ERUPTING! BURNING! FINGERS!

Posted Image

#178 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:49 PM

*SIGH* SOMEONE LOCK THIS FRIGGING THREAD ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bazookagofer, April 02 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#179 Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dimmamar

Posted April 02 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostUSM999, on April 02 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

ROBOT FISTS! That's right! It will be great to have the left mouse button for the left fist and right click for the right fist and hold the button down to charge up a left hook.

Hawken: Real Steel - The ultimate fight.
I am the Hammer, I am the point of His spear, I am the mail about His fist.
I am the bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous.
I am the end.

#180 Eliziel

Eliziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 06:53 PM

No melee!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users