HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll, Melee weapons_

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_ (973 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hawken include some kind of melee weapon_

1. Yes! (438 votes [45.77%])

Percentage of vote: 45.77%

2. No! (299 votes [31.24%])

Percentage of vote: 31.24%

3. Only if it is not to hard to implement. (196 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. I don't care. (24 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 angles

angles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 24 2012 - 01:53 AM

Kicking could work(as a method of deperation)  and the fall risk is a good trade off for it

#42 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:20 PM

What about instead of something that does huge physical damage, we had something like an EMP / shock lance that does next to no physical damage but gives you a big advantage in bringing your main weapons to bear_

It could be one of the special items that retrofits your mech with a steel lance that you literally have to be running / boosting and ram it into another mech (only doing minor damage), puncturing their outer hull and then firing of an EMP focused through the tip of the lance which heavily affects the mech's internal subsystems and completely shuts down the enemy mech for a period of time, so you can then simply back away and blow the fuzzy bunny out of them as they sit stationary. It would be a much harsher effect than the current EMP you can launch as your delivering a focused EMP surge directly into the interior systems so there's no dampening at all from outer shielding.

The trade of for this could be that it drains your energy reserves and the time that they are knocked out for depends on how much energy you had when administering the EMP.  Also a counter from the enemy mech could be if you're not fast enough in delivering the EMP, the enemy mech can use the lance as a hard wired bridge to transmit a counter-measure virus that makes your controls go hay wire to a certain extent until you get a chance to repair if you manage to get away / retreat (or die ;)). This scenario could come about with one mech using all it's energy to boost across and ram another mech and so has to wait a couple of seconds to have enough energy regenerated to administer the EMP, therefore giving the first mech a chance to transmit the counter virus.

So obviously you gain a big advantage from using it but also at a great risk to yourself and so cannot be used willy nilly, but in measured, planned out attacks or a last ditch effort to gain the upper hand.

Does anyone like that idea_ Trying to think outside the box somewhat, rather than just the old usual knife swipe / knock them across the head with the gun butt melee animations common in normal FPS games.

Although I haven't even played the game yet, so I will reserve my vote for later once I have a better feeling on how melee would change the gameplay dynamics.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#43 ProphetZ

ProphetZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 02:04 AM

A cutting torch.

Easy to model, multipurpose, believable, suitably destructive.

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 07 2012 - 06:35 AM

1.- Ramming, inflicting twice the damage as the one you get to the other mech.

2.- Hyper-close range welding/cutting torch.

3.- Hyper-close range Pneumatic-hammer ( could be placed in the torso (chest) of the mech ).

These are the possibilities I can think of. I also think that each of these could exclusively fit into its distinct mech class. IMHO, Would be interesting to evaluate them in the battlefield and in case thy all suck at the end.. then one more tossed ou to the "nice try's basket and let it be.

Edit: I'd suggest a new option for this poll.. something like: Only works well in the game and is balanced too.

Edited by The_Silencer, November 07 2012 - 06:36 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 MVRS

MVRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:59 AM

a ram stun will work wonders imho.

#46 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 27 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have avoided this topic for the longest time.

Before i had the chance to play the game i was in favor of such a mechanic. since most of my fps experience is from CS it just feels natural for me to knife someone.

But after having played Alpha 1 CBE2-3 i most say this is a terrible idea. We already have cqc weapons and they do their job very well at the moment. Comparing a manaflaks dps to a non backstab knife dsp in cs i believe they are equivalent in force. Also note having a mech specialized in such mechanic or the option to have your mech equip this weapon would be detrimental to the pleasure taken playing the game. In order to make this weapon effective you would have to charge an enemy and possibly die in the process. While it might sound appealing to some players, most players with skill and a brain avoid getting in cqc unless absolutely necessary.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#47 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:20 PM

Just as side note: In the same way that when your mech falls down from a considerable height take damage... what if there's a mech down there in the same spot_ Does he get any damage from your "fallen mech"_ :)  -Just curious on this.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#48 byaafacehead

byaafacehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:50 PM

not this again. I really don't want melee weapons ever in this game

#49 Leaders

Leaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:03 AM

I could see situations for it, you wouldn't even need to add a new gimmick just get in close and have a way to swing your heaviest weapon at the enemy, or set it that you can thrust into your opponent. I can see it as a means to continue combat during an overheat dealing damage to your self and your opponent as a last ditch effort to be victorious.

#50 Xariez

Xariez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 06:46 AM

To be honest i sat here thinking about melee weapons, would be kinda fun because its often u meet someone just a few feet from u.

#51 ssmax

ssmax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 02:10 PM

it supprised me there isnt any. cus sometime i just want to ram my mech to the other guy. yeah you.
"no matter where you are. everyone is always connected"

#52 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostRevel, on September 19 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

i don't think melee weapons would be necessary because i personally view this game as a sort of apocalyptic time where rusty future machinery would be used like the mechs and not giant swords or the like. i really can't imagine a robot that's of the hawken's design wielding sword/daggers/pencils/etc, unless it's attached onto them so they can rush with it attached in front lol, like a unicorn
I agree, this isn't Gundam after all, with ridiculously large mechs slicing each other with equally ridiculous swords.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#53 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 27 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Just as side note: In the same way that when your mech falls down from a considerable height take damage... what if there's a mech down there in the same spot_ Does he get any damage from your "fallen mech"_ :)  -Just curious on this.
I don't think so, although a "Goomba Stomp" attack would be interesting :)
< TEXT-FIELD >

#54 Floofus

Floofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationWherever Far Cry 3 is

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:39 PM

I think they should just increase damage for ramming into an opponent, or make a DFA scenario kinda like Mechwarrior. It would be cool, but I'd like to see it in a comic, or a book before they put it into the game. That way it can make more sense/be explained in a clearer manner.

Now, if one of the accessories was a harpoon or high-velocity garbage, that would be awesome.
Posted Image

#55 ssmax

ssmax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:05 PM

oh hey. melee are not only lightsaber brother. anything can do. even a bumper infront of our mech
"no matter where you are. everyone is always connected"

#56 Inushokin

Inushokin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Ohio

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:13 PM

As long as "melee" refers to the awesome laser blades of Armored Core.... Then yes, because I was an amazing blader. ;D

#57 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:39 PM

The devs have already stated that they have no plans for melee.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#58 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 14 2012 - 11:48 AM

Nevertheless.. the idea of frequently getting damage by collisions with my own team mates whilst we move on the battlefield would not be so appealing feature, IMHO.. maybe, maybe, only if these kind of collisions could inflict very little damage .. let's say 2 or 3 HPs. That would add value to the game in the way that you should pilot your mech even better, more cautiously... just a warning on this subject as well as a new idea though.

This would not be melee, but would be an interesting hybrid possibility in the game. That which I've posted above plus "fallen mechas" (damn.. that sounds cool to me.. lol) taking and inflicting damage to other mechas beneath them..

Still I don't find a proper option in the poll to vote, I'm afraid...

Edited by The_Silencer, December 14 2012 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

#59 MIG_

MIG_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 02:26 PM

energy blade_
If i want a melee weapon I play an other game ...

how to think about an gigantic m9 bayonet as seen in avatar___

#60 Gigatour

Gigatour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted December 23 2012 - 02:50 PM

NO ONE HIT KILL, Unless you remove your other weapon or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users