HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Patch Scheduled for 3:00 PM PST (GMT -8)

Patch Beta

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hugs_

Hugs_

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUnknown Kadath

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:28 PM

Heads up, pilots!

HAWKEN servers will be down for patching at 3:00 PM PST (GMT -8) for approximately 15-30 minutes.

Patch Notes:
  • Certain chat strings were causing server crashes to which we say: >_<. This has now been fixed.
  • Game performance is now tracked so we can optimize the HAWKEN experience for more players.
  • The "All Regions" option is no longer available in Matchmaking. Please select your local region for the best gameplay experience.
  • The video quality settings have undergone some minor adjustments.
Happy hunting!
xxoo

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:40 PM

Great, thank you very much to let us know on this! ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yay. Keep up the good work guys =D
Posted Image

#4 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:46 PM

"Removed “All Regions”, so users have to explicitly choose their region to improve connectivity"

Not sure how happy i am with that one.
I live in the EU, and work a night job where videogames are my only passtime between customers (which are few and far between, with most nights getting 0 calls).
If i choose EU or UK servers, i'll only find empty server after empty server.
So i normally choose 'all regions' and assume that, if matchmaking actually does it's job, that i get put in a populated server which doesn't have a ping of over 200 (and to this day, i've never had a ping of over 140).
Now i'll have to hope that if i choose US east or west that i don't get dropped in a bunch of empty servers before i find a match...
Which already happens a lot when i choose 'all regions' :mellow:
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#5 Shadeness

Shadeness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:24 PM

Certain chat strings were causing server crashes to which we say: >_<. This has now been fixed.

Did you escape the messages_ Eg: > → &gt; Which then get's parsed as a > again in HTML.
Or was it something else_

I notice you guys filtered out the < and > characters (due to HTML parsing), so I was wondering if it was just because you didn't use a proper escaping technique and just did a replaceAll("<", ""); or somesuch.

Ah, it was this (http://community.pla.../page__hl__chat) Didn't mention how you fixed it though, even if my leading suspicions believe you did escape them.

Edited by Shadeness, November 27 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#6 TJ

TJ

Former Lead Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHAWKEN HQ

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately matchmaking doesn't find the best local server (coming soon!), it just finds any server. We've been seeing a lot of people assuming otherwise and playing with horrible pings, so we're trying to force users to choose the best region for them, or at least be aware of the region they are playing in.
email me if you need some dev love <3 | Poor performance_ Send me specs, I try fix for you!!

#7 WasteGate

WasteGate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationTehas

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:28 PM

I've got the same deal here,most everybody is working or in schools of one kind or another.
All Regions was the only way to get a game going although Lag/Ping can be a bear.
Now what_ Get wasted waiting to hit a populated server_ Doods,I am bad enough without playing with a load on,lol.
SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER/SERVER BROWSER.

I know,were in Beta and we have to fix MatchMaking.
Okay.
SERVER BROWSER.
that is all.
Posted Image

#8 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well, at least we now know that the current horrible matchmaking is intentional. They aren't concerned about the underpopulated games because it's not actually an issue. It's just a result of them forcing players to supply the data they need. Unfortunately I think we'll all have to wait until open beta starts before we can enjoy this game like we used to. But I suppose that is our burden as testers (and a pretty minor one at that). At least this period of inadequate gameplay will help make the game much better when it is open to everyone.

Edited by Silk_Sk, November 27 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Kaempfer

Kaempfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:57 PM

Another thing is, most of the time when you pick a certain region you end up in an empty server or one that's just filling up, it doesn't seem matchmaking is able to make people join ongoing matches,. This causes a lot of matches to be really unbalanced in terms of amount of players on each side. On several occasions I've seen people leave before you even fill the min. quota cause they just get tired of waiting, not sure if this is intended or not.
Cheers!

#10 WasteGate

WasteGate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationTehas

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on November 27 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Well, at least we now know that the current horrible matchmaking is intentional. They aren't concerned about the underpopulated games because it's not actually an issue. It's just a result of them forcing players to supply the data they need. Unfortunately I think we'll all have to wait until open beta starts before we can enjoy this game like we used to. But I suppose that is our burden as testers (and a pretty minor one at that). At least this period of inadequate gameplay will help make the game much better when it is open to everyone.

UmmKayy.
I'll be a good BetaBoy.
Saddle Up!
Posted Image

#11 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:25 PM

Oh, that's sort of a shame.  "All regions" was pretty much the only way that I was managing to score a room filled with more than 3 people.
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#12 carlosflamenco

carlosflamenco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thank you!!! :ph34r:
[font='comic sans ms', ', cursive} ']I see you guys in the Battlefield!![/font]

[font='comic sans ms', ', cursive} ']Meteor Players Advocate[/font]

#13 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Post[ADH]TJ, on November 27 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Unfortunately matchmaking doesn't find the best local server (coming soon!), it just finds any server. We've been seeing a lot of people assuming otherwise and playing with horrible pings, so we're trying to force users to choose the best region for them, or at least be aware of the region they are playing in.

Well quite frankly, i'll take he horrible ping and being able to play over finding empty servers all the time, which is already an issue.
It can take me the better part of 5 minutes finding a populated server as is...
Can't provide you guys with playing data if i can't actually play.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#14 Pap

Pap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland - Szczecin

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:17 PM

it's the second or third time they are trying to force this "select your region" thing. in my opinion its a bad idea. its very hard to find a populated game with ALL REGIONS selected and finding a one in a specific region is almost impossible:P  unless meteor actually FIXED sth in the matchmakin. lets hope for it
MAKE THE GAME AUTOBALANCE TEAMS RIGHT IN THE BEGINING!!!!!! not start the game with 5vs2 or make team objective games start with only 3 players. thats just stupid!
Posted Image

#15 Hugs_

Hugs_

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUnknown Kadath

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:24 PM

PATCH COMPLETE!

You *may* need to log out of the launcher and back in to get the patch.
xxoo

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:35 PM

I've played many TDM games today and I haven't had complains on the number of pilots playing.. I played some few DM matches in which there were few players in.. however I've had fun playing those games too as I was able ejoy playing more on the 1vs1 / 2vs1 side of the things.. :)

P.S. Picked up UK and East Coast and went pretty well.

Edit: Roger that! :D

Edited by The_Silencer, November 27 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#17 Pap

Pap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland - Szczecin

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:42 PM

i have to say.. fuzzy bunny move meteor..fuzzy bunny move.. now i have to frickin spam all regions like crazy. tried 10 times to find a game in europe and only 1 server had one more guy other than me...
can someone tell me which servers are the most populated_

EDIT:
k it must be the issue that no one else got this patch yet cause i cant find not a single person now on any region

Edited by Pap, November 27 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Marauder66

Marauder66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted November 27 2012 - 04:53 PM

Servers down until 4.45pm PDT -8GMT so thats it for me, early night for a change

Posted Image

HOP ON

#19 Hugs_

Hugs_

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUnknown Kadath

Posted November 27 2012 - 05:09 PM

We had to refresh all the servers to make sure everyone has the right version. We're back up now, so get out there and get playing!
xxoo

#20 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostHugs, on November 27 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

• The "All Regions" option is no longer available in Matchmaking. Please select your local region for the best gameplay experience.

Well that's great, now Kiwi has to check each region individually to not get put into an empty game.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patch, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users