HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

subtle change to 180 turn.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#41 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 02:00 PM

very hard to see, i don't know about the vehicles but the turret is on the ground.

even if i wasn't the kind of player who could pick up on this stuff, the video linked  (the revolver guy) shows you just how good some people can get with their reflexes.

The change i suggest shouldn't even be given much thought, it should just be put in.

#42 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 30 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on November 30 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

very hard to see, i don't know about the vehicles but the turret is on the ground.

even if i wasn't the kind of player who could pick up on this stuff, the video linked  (the revolver guy) shows you just how good some people can get with their reflexes.

The change i suggest shouldn't even be given much thought, it should just be put in.
Can't even give a "it's at 3 o clock" kinda answer_
And the person playing is Asian, they're just doing a simple Shift+S turn
And every change should be given a lot of thought. To say otherwise is ridiculous, particularly for someone who claims to be a game designer ;)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#43 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 30 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

rdKNIGHTMAREZ, I want you to perform a little test for me to prove that you could actually make use of this feature.

In the following video, there are 5 destrucible vehicles (the little buses and trucks that can be blown up) and a deployable turret.
I want you to point out the turret and at least 2-3 of the vehicles from left to right. The vehicles directly in front of me at the start do not count.
To avoid confusion Left is the direction I'm facing after I spin. Right is the direction I'm facing before I spin.

http://youtu.be/QEKX7wUv72M
A 720p video lowered to 30 FPS is pretty flawed testing material. Just saying.

Edited by z121231211, November 30 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Desert Fox

#44 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 30 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postz121231211, on November 30 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 30 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

rdKNIGHTMAREZ, I want you to perform a little test for me to prove that you could actually make use of this feature.

In the following video, there are 5 destrucible vehicles (the little buses and trucks that can be blown up) and a deployable turret.
I want you to point out the turret and at least 2-3 of the vehicles from left to right. The vehicles directly in front of me at the start do not count.
To avoid confusion Left is the direction I'm facing after I spin. Right is the direction I'm facing before I spin.

http://youtu.be/QEKX7wUv72M
A 720p video lowered to 30 FPS is pretty flawed testing material. Just saying.
720p is sharp enough to make out the objects, I made sure of that.
And there's a ton of people who get 30 fps or below in game (Hell, on Origin I regularly dive below 20 even when I'm not recording, while playing on the lowest settings), so there's nothing wrong with that either.

The test is not nearly as flawed as you imply.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#45 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 08:41 PM

Whoo - You guys really are brawlin' here...

The idea of some kind of directional control over the 180 spin intrigues me because I've noticed that sometimes when I 180, it turns the opposite way I expect (probably because I'm so immersed in the game that I forget that the computer can't read my mind.)

Personally, I don't expect to spot an enemy in that .5 sec or anything like that, but I do think it would feel more natural to have some control/influence/intelligence built into the 180.

[I agree that any change like this should be considered carefully, so I don't think it's a guaranteed improvement.]

#46 L34dP1LL

L34dP1LL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 10:47 AM

Seems to me that a troll has been fed enough for a day.

OT: You must be a fearsome pilot if you are able to process and use useful information in the split second 180 degree turn. Bravo to you sir, a thousand internets I present to you as a humble gift.

#47 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 12:14 PM

charming, so tell me l34dp1ll, if i said i could draw a pistol in a split second and shoot it twice, faster than a rattlesnake.....would you just shoot the man down_

Not all things in life benefit from cynicism. infact...very few =P

back on topic, its more fluid and i have greater control with my mech with the suggest system, im still absolutely certain the suggestion is an improvement.

#48 L34dP1LL

L34dP1LL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 01 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

charming, so tell me l34dp1ll, if i said i could draw a pistol in a split second and shoot it twice, faster than a rattlesnake.....would you just shoot the man down_

Not all things in life benefit from cynicism. infact...very few =P

back on topic, its more fluid and i have greater control with my mech with the suggest system, im still absolutely certain the suggestion is an improvement.
I pride myself in being as charming as possible, so I always rejoice when it is noticed. Now as for your allegory, if said man was you, I might be tempted to take the shot.

#49 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 01 2012 - 02:19 PM

If someone has the ability to spot targets during a 1 second motion-blur filled 180 degree turn, they probably don't need any more help ;)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#50 L34dP1LL

L34dP1LL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 01 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

If someone has the ability to spot targets during a 1 second motion-blur filled 180 degree turn, they probably don't need any more help ;)
I even complimented him on his ability, and he called me a cynic. The nerve.

#51 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 04:12 PM

they don't need any more help so therefore we shouldn't fix it_

fix it.

make it so it is controllable . giving the player more....control. more control for no perceivable sacrifice obviously good.

#52 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 01 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well seen as you can't seem to read any of the negatives to your suggestion everyone has clearly explained to you in plain English, assuming you are at such a level that you can perceive such detail at such a speed AND process it along side everything else happening in-game, surely such a super high level player as yourself derives great satisfaction in the challenges provided to you by the game_ Surely the challenge in not being able to turn both ways means you are pushed to improve your play to compensate for such a lack of advanced functionality_

I hope you can read all that and reply to ALL my questions in FULL. I'm genuinely interested to hear your answers. After all, how we deal with the challenges provided to us by the game is a measure of how good we are at the game.

Edited by Subdivision, December 01 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image

#53 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 05:32 AM

Just because people are talking doesn't mean what they are saying is true.
of the many posts i make this one feels like an example of how people will argue over anything.

the change i suggested in this specific topic is obviously better because it gives more control to the player....without sacrificing ANYTHING.

sometimes things are just better.

For example, rifling on a gun. it makes the bullet more accurate.....its just better than not having it....for....for no cost...

people who are fuzzy bunny shots might not notice. Some might even argue that having a chaotic spread is a good thing. whatever...
I think you need to re-read this thread subdivision, i feel like you havn't paid attention to when i have answered peoples questions.

#54 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 02 2012 - 05:56 AM

Well I have thoroughly read it cover to cover and you haven't answer either of my questions in my last post at all. Nor have you answered any other questions in this thread. You appear to blatantly ignore peoples counter points saying 'It's better' which isn't a constructive reply. you haven't explained why any points made against you are incorrect as you state. The fact this is an argument at all is only because you refuse to discuss this in a proper manner. Constructive discuss means you give a real response to people's points as I and many others have done for you in this thread.

I will not reiterate my points I have made against your suggestion as you have yet to explain why they don't count or are untrue. If something is untrue as you say, you have to explain why because you have appeared to ignore 95% of this thread's content.

Posted Image

#55 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:01 AM

current system = quick shortcut : 180 degree turn that is forced one way.

my system = quick shortcut + tiny mouse movement (that was happening anyway) : 180 degree turn one of two ways.

''its slower''...no it isnt'.

'' its not necessary'' ... yes it is.

'' i can't tell the difference no-one can'' ...your not as good as pilots that can.

"its hard to implement" ...no it isn't, its easy to.

Anything else subdivision_

Edited by rdKNIGHTMAREZ, December 02 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#56 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 02 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

''its slower''...no it isnt'.

How is it not slower when you have to input another command, the mouse movement_ Plus, as I have explained, moving the mouse in that situation to decide which way you'd like to turn is not optimal at all. And this passive mouse movement doesn't occur for better players. Everything is intentional.

'' its not necessary'' ... yes it is.

That is your opinion, it's not your game. Everything is the decision of Adhesive and Meteor, thus this debate.

'' i can't tell the difference no-one can'' ...your not as good as pilots that can.

Well as AJK clearly demonstrated with the simple test, you can't either so I don't understand why you insist on it.

Again, how do you know how the game is coded_ How do you know what implications it has on the current build on the game_ How can you possibly say how easy something is to add to a game you aren't personally working on_ For the umpteenth-million time, that is your opinion, stop stating it as a fact.

AND you still haven't answered my two questions. I'll quote myself for your ease of you finding them again:

View PostSubdivision, on December 01 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

surely such a super high level player as yourself derives great satisfaction in the challenges provided to you by the game_ Surely the challenge in not being able to turn both ways means you are pushed to improve your play to compensate for such a lack of advanced functionality_

Edited by Subdivision, December 02 2012 - 06:12 AM.

Posted Image

#57 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:12 AM

As the High Arbiter of Tedious Justice I declare that this will never be implemented and therefore all further discussion is fruitless. Also it's dumb.
Posted Image

#58 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:19 AM

How is it not slower when you have to input another command, the mouse movement_

herp derp,. Left hand...right hand....see how they are doing stuff at the same time_ truth is you are moving your mouse at the same time. My elegant solution takes advantage of this.

That is your opinion

yes i know , thank for you for the compliment :)

Well as AJK clearly demonstrated with the simple test,

LOL_

Again, how do you know how the game is coded_

lol no. its like one line of code.

Surely the challenge in not being able to turn both ways means you are pushed to improve your play to compensate for such a lack of advanced functionality_

so....we should make snipers in the army have slightly messed up scopes so they can enjoy the challenge of a crooked sight_ eh_
i have no respect for this reasoning.

Edited by rdKNIGHTMAREZ, December 02 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#59 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 02 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

That is your opinion

yes i know , thank for you for the compliment :)

You realise that means it's not factually correct as you so love to say_

Well as AJK clearly demonstrated with the simple test,

LOL_

That isn't even a response

Again, how do you know how the game is coded_

lol no. its like one line of code.

And you know this because.... Thanks for ignoring 2 out 3 of my questions on this point, again...

Surely the challenge in not being able to turn both ways means you are pushed to improve your play to compensate for such a lack of advanced functionality_

so....we should make snipers in the army have slightly messed up scopes so they can enjoy the challenge of a crooked sight_ eh_
i have no respect for this reasoning.

This is a game. It's not real. It supposed to challenge us so we get enjoyment out of it. If it was effortless to play a game such as this, why bother_

You still refuse to properly reply to my responses and refuse all reasonable common sense, logic and can not reply to a simple series of questions without retorting with 'lol' or taking a tangential example of something completely unrelated to demonstrate why you think you are correct

Posted Image

#60 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:34 AM

your arguing that a worse control system is some how good. No...its worse.

also i don't think you are being that logical.

More control for no cost = better game

dual spin direction ftw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users