HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

subtle change to 180 turn.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#61 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted December 02 2012 - 07:48 AM

Didn't I declare this fruitless_ That means no fruit people. Clear out and go foraging elsewhere. C'mon - You're better than this.
Posted Image

#62 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 08:20 AM

You declare this fruitless_ Guess you don't quite get the point of the suggestion section of the forum.

The tiny touch makes the game better. i have been very clear, thorougher, and consistent answering every ones points :)

Edited by rdKNIGHTMAREZ, December 02 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#63 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostSunshineSloth, on December 02 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Didn't I declare this fruitless_ That means no fruit people. Clear out and go foraging elsewhere. C'mon - You're better than this.
As a PSA I'd like to remind people that if you click on your name at the top of the page, you'll see another link that says "Manage Ignore Prefs"
Desert Fox

#64 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted December 03 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 02 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

Just because people are talking doesn't mean what they are saying is true.

Looks who's "talking" hey... :rolleyes:

My arm is growing heavy from all the face palming every time I read one of your wacky responses that fails to actually address other people's responses...

Posted Image

...and then I wonder...

Posted Image

...because this thread really makes me think this is required.

Posted Image

Edited by Gagzila, December 03 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Posted Image

#65 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 05:25 AM

i know you are gagzilla, but what am i_

keep it on topic drop-bear-boy.

This thread is an example of how subtle improvements can't be done by human mobs, they will argue over anything.

Edited by rdKNIGHTMAREZ, December 03 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#66 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 05:36 AM

This has got to be the most IDIOTIC thread I've seen yet. And usually it's the away team that's being stupid. In this case, it's every damn one of you arguing AGAINST this implementation.

It is small.
It is probably "useless" to 99.9% of humanity.
It is a NICETY. Ever heard the phrase "It's the little things"_
It COULD POTENTIALLY be used on high framerate rigs to reward players with high reflexes and situational awareness, or who have eidetic memory, thus making the gifted actually feel GIFTED.

Even if it is NEVER used for a practical advantage, it would at least be a nice touch for people with an attention to detail to notice and appreciate. For those of us who have that attention, it would make the game feel more open, more welcoming, and less scripted. Some of us HATE having things predetermined and automatically done for us, and as easily as I shrugged off the one-way-180, it's one of those things that I'd LOVE to see "fixed."

More welcoming, if only for some players, without ANY detrimental effect, is an undeniable (to a fully rational mind) improvement. If it never affects gameplay, it would make the immersion better.

Oh, and expect this Tweaker to be experimenting with that split second of visibility once it gets more PC power.

---

P.S.: ONLY an extension. I can shrug off my OCD when it comes to turn direction, but I cannot and WILL not lie down for a split second if my mech just sits and does nothing because I didn't flick my mouse.

Simply put, one person said it would be a good idea if the modifying input was optional and the game defaulted the turn direction without mouse input. That is an absolute must. I'm a little disappointed that the OP's response seems to indicate that he did not think of this...

Edited by Adreni, December 03 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#67 Aurenn

Aurenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostAdreni, on December 03 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

This has got to be the most IDIOTIC thread I've seen yet. And usually it's the away team that's being stupid. In this case, it's every damn one of you arguing AGAINST this implementation.

It is small.
It is probably "useless" to 99.9% of humanity.
It is a NICETY. Ever heard the phrase "It's the little things"_
It COULD POTENTIALLY be used on high framerate rigs to reward players with high reflexes and situational awareness, or who have eidetic memory, thus making the gifted actually feel GIFTED.

Even if it is NEVER used for a practical advantage, it would at least be a nice touch for people with an attention to detail to notice and appreciate. For those of us who have that attention, it would make the game feel more open, more welcoming, and less scripted. Some of us HATE having things predetermined and automatically done for us, and as easily as I shrugged off the one-way-180, it's one of those things that I'd LOVE to see "fixed."

More welcoming, if only for some players, without ANY detrimental effect, is an undeniable (to a fully rational mind) improvement. If it never affects gameplay, it would make the immersion better.

Oh, and expect this Tweaker to be experimenting with that split second of visibility once it gets more PC power.
+1

#68 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 03 2012 - 07:04 AM

Well, I believe the OP's suggestion will make a perfectly fine game mechanic unnecessarily complex.
Posted Image

#69 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 07:22 AM

because twist left and twist right with a mouse twictch is so complex it needs an ascii diagram for some players of the vertically downward movement variety. /sarcasm

its not complex and it is necessary.

#70 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 03 2012 - 07:59 AM

You reading comprehension fails you yet again.

I said "UNNECESSARILY complex" compared to what we have now.

It is fair enough that you would prefer it the way you suggested, that is your right, but don't self-righteously declare it is 'necessary' when we have been playing it from Alpha 1 with no problems at all.

Edited by EMEUTIER, December 03 2012 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

#71 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:02 AM

playing since alpha 1 and didn't come up with this improvement yourself....well.... lol...

#72 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:48 AM

Just few quick questions rdKINGHTMAREZ if you would be so kind:

Do you have all the best ideas_

Do you ever make mistakes_

Do you ever misunderstand anything or do you immediately fully comprehend an entire situation/system as soon as you come into contact with it_

I'm just curious because you seem to think highly of yourself (not a problem) but can't be gracious enough to take on what people are pointing out to you (problem). Therefore, I am wondering how you know all this stuff you keep stating as fact_ You haven't explained why it is necessary in any sense other than it has a minimal improvement and you like it. If you could enlighten all of us I'd be terribly grateful as you have entirely failed to do so thus far. I am more than prepared to be proven wrong and will be the first to admit it once you do so. Until then you haven't dissuaded my belief that it is an unnecessary complication to an element of that game that works perfectly fine as it is, nor warrants the work and time required to it to be implemented into the game.

If you reply again with anything you have said before, any more ascii diagrams or brush me off as someone who can not see the benefit (I can, its really small) then I will be greatly disappointed in you.

Edited by Subdivision, December 03 2012 - 08:48 AM.

Posted Image

#73 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostEMEUTIER, on December 03 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Well, I believe the OP's suggestion will make a perfectly fine game mechanic unnecessarily complex.

HD textures and models are unnecessarily complex. That's not sarcasm. That's a fact. You CAN function without 2048x2048 resolution textures. You CAN function without those kickable cars having good models and textures. It does not affect the gameplay yet so many people will inevitably judge the game on its graphical quality and fidelity. Better yet, customization of the mechs' appearances (color stripes, camouflage and chassis) is unnecessary.

Development of those factors DETRACTS from gameplay development. If they were to focus money away from graphical developers they could hire more numerous and more skilled mechanical developers, leading to a much more solid gameplay much sooner.

Adding a couple quick and easy to write lines of code to override the default turning direction based on mouse input would not focus a significant amount of resources away from gameplay development for a significant amount of time, especially in comparison to graphics development.

If you're going to whine about a couple TINY lines of code like you are, how about you go whine about the requests for new skins too_ You're arguing POINTLESS semantics about a mechanic that would be EASY to implement and could only ever serve to increase the immersion.

As for being complex, the only people it would be COMPLEX for, given how easy it would be to code, are the players with OCD who stress constantly over which way to turn, and that's not something you'll see often if ever.

View PostSubdivision, on December 03 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Just few quick questions rdKINGHTMAREZ if you would be so kind:

Do you have all the best ideas_

Do you ever make mistakes_

Do you ever misunderstand anything or do you immediately fully comprehend an entire situation/system as soon as you come into contact with it_

I'm just curious because you seem to think highly of yourself (not a problem) but can't be gracious enough to take on what people are pointing out to you (problem). Therefore, I am wondering how you know all this stuff you keep stating as fact_ You haven't explained why it is necessary in any sense other than it has a minimal improvement and you like it. If you could enlighten all of us I'd be terribly grateful as you have entirely failed to do so thus far. I am more than prepared to be proven wrong and will be the first to admit it once you do so. Until then you haven't dissuaded my belief that it is an unnecessary complication to an element of that game that works perfectly fine as it is, nor warrants the work and time required to it to be implemented into the game.

If you reply again with anything you have said before, any more ascii diagrams or brush me off as someone who can not see the benefit (I can, its really small) then I will be greatly disappointed in you.

What am I, chopped liver_ Forget him, this thread is about the CONCEPT, not the almighty OP, and the lot of you treating it otherwise only means the devs have to wade through all this FLOTSAM to get real, workable opinions on the mechanic itself. That means if they DO wade through it, they've taken time out of their busy day that could be better allocated to something PRODUCTIVE. If they DON'T wade through it then you've probably just stolen any potential for implementation that an idea that was probably GOOD may have had.

Read my previous post and THEN say it hasn't been explained.

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 03 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

playing since alpha 1 and didn't come up with this improvement yourself....well.... lol...

Ideas are usually spawned out of a sense of necessity as this thread is aptly proving. That person did not notice the absence of the mechanic or feel that it was necessary to implement, so of course they did not think of the improvement themselves.

Avoid posting pointless, especially out-of-context drama-builders if you are interested in garnering support.

Edited by Adreni, December 03 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#74 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 03 2012 - 09:05 AM

Nice, someone making sense.

That's perfectly reasonable. I understand yes, it takes more effort to make graphics better and less to do a few lines of code for this. At least I'm believing you in that regard. I have no programming experience so I couldn't comment. It is my understanding however any work is greater than no work. Graphics DO have to be worked on and improved for the game to reach the largest market possible and little tweaks like this can come much later down the line once the rest has been refined. Poor, unrefined and unfinished graphics will drive people away. I'm sorry for all you people still in love with the good old days or whatever when graphics weren't perceived as an issue but tough luck, that's the nature of the current global market. Also, that golden age people keep harking on about used 100% full potential of the graphical capabilities of their time so I do not see why this stage in time can't be any different. As for the complexity issue, something more complex in relative comparison is complex. True statement.

I'm not arguing for arguments sake. I'm not arguing because I think this is a bad idea. I'm saying it is currently an unnecessary focus and I cannot see it becoming a necessary focus at any stage.

Edited by Subdivision, December 03 2012 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image

#75 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 09:34 AM

Unnecessary, maybe. But so is Occulus Rift support. But they want to give their user base the BEST they can. Why would you create a halfhearted product_

As for vouching for the complexity of the code itself, it's frankly just counting logical processes. There's already a series of logical processes set in place to quickly turn the mech 180 degrees in one direction. That in itself can't be but so complicated. It's just:

|| [Variable-BOOST] + [Variable-Backwards] executes [Function-Quickturn] ||

|| [Function-Quickturn] = Rotate body [180 degrees] @ [TurningSpeed] ||

All you have to do is add a code that fetches the Return from the pre-existing function ( [FunctionTurnMech] ) and have a simple If/Then/Else statement return the rotational degrees to the Quickturn function.

|| [QuickTurnLeft] = Rotate Body [-180 Degrees]
|| [QuickTurnRight] = Rotate Body [180 Degrees]

|| If [MouseMovingLeft] Then [QuickTurnLeft] Else [QuickTurnRight]

---

It's more complicated than that, I'll admit, but not by much. And that took me less than a minute to write.

A feature's priority is based on a combination of coding time, balancing difficulty, and player adaptation to the new feature. This has a VERY, VERY low impact on all fronts.

#76 Sicarius_X

Sicarius_X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationI am normally at computer desk. Or university

Posted December 03 2012 - 09:34 AM

"I don't like it" <--- more constructive then some of the posts in here. I'm surprised an admin hasn't shut down for flame. So I will make my stand point this, IF the mouse is moving left at the time of the turn. Turn left, in all other cases go right. That way you have your shift, and if I happen to just wanna not touch my mouse and spin in circles. I'm content. That is all

Edited by Sicarius_X, December 04 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#77 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostSicarius_X, on December 03 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

"I don't like it" <--- more constructive then some of the posts in here. I'm surprised an admin hasn't shut down for flame. So I will make me stand point this, IF the mouse is moving left at the time of the turn. Turn left, in all other cases go right. That way you have your shift, and if I happen to just wanna not touch my mouse and spin in circles. I'm content. That is all

More constructive than MOST of the posts I've read...

And ...Dude, I just said that. >_>

|| IF [MouseMovingLeft] THEN [UseLeftRotation] ELSE [UseRightRotation] ||

Using that would mean that the left turn is just a modifier. It would save on time taken to recode things and size of the code, and it would avoid the potential for "I'm not turning so I don't quickturn" stupidity.

Edited by Adreni, December 03 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#78 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 03 2012 - 02:01 PM

I am sorry if I did not express my opinion in a way easier understood, it seems many of you have mis-read my post.

Please don't assume I am saying that the implementation of this idea or even the idea itself is complex. You seem to be taking that one word of the whole sentence and thus out of context.

I was meaning to imply (which is difficult to stress emphasis in text) that the addition of being able to choose which direction you 180 is in effect MORE complex than a comparatively simpler function we see implemented at this moment.

...and to all involved in this topic please ditch the sarcastic insults, its not helping anybody, just childish epeen measuring.
Posted Image

#79 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 02:14 PM

this thread is an insight into humanity. hahahhahahahahhahaha

looking forward to seeing it implemented at the next patch XD

#80 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 03 2012 - 02:19 PM

Here's the thing
If you can process that information in such a short span of time, you can also tailor your strategy such that you always 180 the "right" way (much like how right hand advantage works in over-the-shoulder games like Gears of War
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this concept, here's a video
http://youtu.be/OPslNEZ44Dg
While I realize he does go over a left hand version, it's much more situational and requires exploiting the cover mechanics to use, even if it is relatively easy to pull off)
That said, I'd still like to see proof that someone can actually gain an advantage from said 180 (IE that they can gather and process a momentary burst of information on a level that would assist them, and in such a way that it would be better than just.. yknow.. turning)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users