HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On rear-view mirrors

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want a rear-view mirror_ (605 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a rear-view mirror_

1. Yes (396 votes [67.35%])

Percentage of vote: 67.35%

2. No (139 votes [23.64%])

Percentage of vote: 23.64%

3. Eh_ (53 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 BriceTheRed

BriceTheRed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 11:09 AM

Look you can spend millions of dollars on a complex system that produces a rear-camera with a  on board HUB to view. OR!! Follow the good idea of being cost effective and smart...

http://www.israeldef...2&ArticleID=562

If a fighter pilot can use them in a Jet, I think a Mech pilot can us them too...

Edited by BriceTheRed, March 30 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#102 CommanderWindhover

CommanderWindhover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGracemeria, Emmeria, Anea

Posted March 30 2013 - 11:20 AM

For me, I don't like the mirror, as I like the concept of being able to sneak up behind a mech to get the advantage. Shift-s already offers a quick turn around, with no fuel cost, but the back of the mechs as seen through the oculus rift videos are solid metal. A rear camera is an option, but I feel that tacking anything extra onto the HUD, especially something as distracting as a constant live video feed, just would draw away from the main focus, the windshield. Rear view just seems both superfluous and removes an attack avenue that many people like to use.

This is Commander Windhover of the 15th Squadron. The enemy is expanding its field of attack. Stay alert.

- Daniel "Windhover" Pollini, Ace Combat 6

You and I are opposite sides of the same coin. When we face each other we can finally see our true selves. There may be a resemblance, but we never  face the same direction. - "Solo Wing" Pixy, Ace Combat Zero

#103 Edgeofblade

Edgeofblade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm going with Yes.  And I'd love to be able to stick that to a dedicated monitor output.  Then, I can run three screens in eyefinity and use Picture-in-Picture on one of them to display the fourth input.

I suppose the question is when do I have a mech cockpit inside my mech cockpit_

#104 Aexean

Aexean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 04 2013 - 12:06 PM

This is an implement which makes the game much easier,
but i like it not to see when someone is behind you.
When Hawken gets this feature you can not confuse your opponent as good as before.
And confusing the enemy is one of the most important things that mechs like the infiltrator can do to their enemys.

Kind regards
Aexean

#105 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:41 AM

anti-infiltrator-mirror, no thanks :)
Posted Image
pm me for hire :)

#106 OmniStone

OmniStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think this would be a hilarious idea. Not too useful due to radar, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it plays out, were it implemented.

#107 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted June 01 2013 - 10:14 AM

Didn't read everything in this thread (didn't read anything except the first post at all) but as far as I know mirrors or a second camera need quite alot amount of RAM or they challange your Computer in another way.

Just so you know.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#108 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 01 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostFakeName, on June 01 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Didn't read everything in this thread (didn't read anything except the first post at all) but as far as I know mirrors or a second camera need quite alot amount of RAM or they challange your Computer in another way.

Just so you know.

Yep,
and this suggestion I made looong time ago may be already considered as quite obsolete today. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#109 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted June 01 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on June 01 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Just so you know.

Yep,
and this suggestion I made looong time ago may be already considered as quite obsolete today. :)

But this game needs something to hang big fluffy dice on.

Damnit devs I want hula freds and fluffy dice in my cockpit.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#110 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 01 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostdEd101, on June 01 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Just so you know.

Yep,

Hahahah :D That's also true.. what about just a nail then _ :lol: That should suffice, methinks. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#111 Aelita

Aelita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 09:32 AM

(deleted)

Edited by Aelita, March 12 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#112 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 12 2014 - 09:34 AM

ffs 9 month old thread... what's with all the necrobumping lately_
Posted Image

#113 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 21 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hahah... although...

Maybe some kind of proximity alert thing in the future then ... that would be useful for some pilots, IMHO..

Posted Image

#114 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostOmniStone, on April 11 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I think this would be a hilarious idea. Not too useful due to radar, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it plays out, were it implemented.
You only get detected on the radar if you use your thrusters. Walking_ Invisible as long as you're outside their cone of view.

#115 dontmindme

dontmindme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 06:24 AM

Nice idea.  But I don't see this happening.. basically, (like we're told about the old HUD) it boils down to performance.  With a rear view, you're now drawing a good deal of the virtual world behind your mech in addtion to what is in front of you.  And for people who have the insaine FOV settings, I wonder how they'd be affected by this.

View PostdEd101, on June 01 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Just so you know.

Yep,

What about an out-of-order eject handle_  Just have one attached near the top of the cockpit.  You could hang fuzzy dice off of one of those. =p

Edited by dontmindme, March 22 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#116 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 22 2014 - 09:01 AM

View Postdontmindme, on March 22 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

And for people who have the insaine FOV settings, I wonder how they'd be affected by this.
I thought it only goes upto 90, unless the devs actually allow config editing to have quake-level settings

I don't think it'll mess with FOV either way

#117 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:53 AM

This suggestion I made is quite old. The amount of game ticks it would consume makes it more than unlikely. This is not gonna happen, IMHO.  :)

Cockpit integration -and mostly those 2 intrusive bars- is what "concerns" me.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users