HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Vanguard Initiative Improvements Clarified

Beta Game News

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#41 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostTrolled, on December 07 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

View PostTrolled, on December 07 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Just because "supporters" get rookie internals on their assaults doesn't mean others will.

You must have missed the part where we explained that all players will have rookie internals on their Assault mechs.
No, it was ambiguous. Bringing it up in a post about Vanguards implied otherwise, and it would be wise to correct it as I'm not the only one who asked about it.
I thought it was pretty darn clear:

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

These internals will also be equipped on the Assault mech that all HAWKEN accounts start off with.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#42 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostTrolled, on December 07 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

No, it was ambiguous. Bringing it up in a post about Vanguards implied otherwise, and it would be wise to correct it as I'm not the only one who asked about it.

It will be reiterated in the Open Beta patch notes coming next week.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#43 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:51 PM

Er.... I hope this mech doesn't stay exclusive for long.
I put my $60 down too, and I love that I get cupcake, and extra MP, and everything, but buying something that you otherwise won't be able to get at the start feels kind of....
...dirty...

In other news, everything else sounds great, can't wait to read the patch notes!

Edit:  here's hoping I can equip that beautiful drone on other mechs in the future~

Edited by Timber_Wolf, December 07 2012 - 08:51 PM.

Chicks dig giant robots.

#44 Trolled

Trolled

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostBornSupercharged, on December 07 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

you aren't wanting to generate them any kind of revenue
Never said that.

do you really think you deserve the same items as people who DO give back_
Yes, I deserve the promised way to get them using my time. Failing to do that marks the game as pay2win and if you did your homework you'd know they explicitly promised to avoid going that way.

Think about it, this is a freemium game - a free to play game that relies on you purchasing meteor credits to get premium mechs/items quicker.
Faster, not harder better and stronger.

It costs money to run servers, to spend time developing a game, to have the various staff members, it's not all fun and games when it comes down to making a living.That's why I put in my $60 - because as a developer I truly understand and sympathize with projects like this.
I wouldn't get buttfrustrated about a $60 price tag on the game (preferrably without the middleman fuzzy bunny both them and us with unlawful tax), or a clear statement that free players are at a measurable disadvantage. It's the broken promise I'm pointing out.

This is the problem with the world today, people expect everything for free and you complain when life is unfair because you aren't getting your way and someone has something that you wanted. So you'll explicitly target them in the game to exact some revenge on them, because they supported the developers and gave them money. <_<
And the problem with people arguing over the internet is that most of them don't bother to do some research before making an angry wall of text topped with almost ironic "no offense" PC fuzzy bunny.
gotta go slow

#45 P1X3L

P1X3L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBerkeley

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostoSPANNERo, on December 07 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Any Meteor employee want to give the public the team's total RedBull/Monster/Starbucks caffeine to sleep ratio over the last few days_

Ick, energy drinks. Pass the coffee, please.

Posted Image

#46 BornSupercharged

BornSupercharged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted December 07 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostTimber_Wolf, on December 07 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Er.... I hope this mech doesn't stay exclusive for long.
I put my $60 down too, and I love that I get cupcake, and extra MP, and everything, but buying something that you otherwise won't be able to get at the start feels kind of....
...dirty...

In other news, everything else sounds great, can't wait to read the patch notes!

Edit:  here's hoping I can equip that beautiful drone on other mechs in the future~

Why do you think it's dirty_ It seems like nearly everytime I pre-order something at GameStop I get some exclusive weapon skin, or some exclusive character, or some exclusive map - that I otherwise will not be able to get. Do you think its much different than that_

In my opinion, having a single exclusive mech, which is C-Class not even A-Class, doesn't make me feel dirty at all. It's not like they made it a super OP A-Class with unlimited fuel or something.

But I agree with using the drone on other mechs, it looks pretty sweet.

#47 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:01 PM

here's hoping I can equip that beautiful drone on other mechs in the future~

That's the plan, for Vanguard Initiative cosmetic items to be account-bound rather than mech-bound.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#48 BornSupercharged

BornSupercharged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostTrolled, on December 07 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

you aren't wanting to generate them any kind of revenue
Never said that.

do you really think you deserve the same items as people who DO give back_
Yes, I deserve the promised way to get them using my time. Failing to do that marks the game as pay2win and if you did your homework you'd know they explicitly promised to avoid going that way.

Think about it, this is a freemium game - a free to play game that relies on you purchasing meteor credits to get premium mechs/items quicker.
Faster, not harder better and stronger.

It costs money to run servers, to spend time developing a game, to have the various staff members, it's not all fun and games when it comes down to making a living.That's why I put in my $60 - because as a developer I truly understand and sympathize with projects like this.
I wouldn't get buttfrustrated about a $60 price tag on the game (preferrably without the middleman fuzzy bunny both them and us with unlawful tax), or a clear statement that free players are at a measurable disadvantage. It's the broken promise I'm pointing out.

This is the problem with the world today, people expect everything for free and you complain when life is unfair because you aren't getting your way and someone has something that you wanted. So you'll explicitly target them in the game to exact some revenge on them, because they supported the developers and gave them money. <_<
And the problem with people arguing over the internet is that most of them don't bother to do some research before making an angry wall of text topped with almost ironic "no offense" PC fuzzy bunny.

I'm getting an awesome exclusive mech and double XP bonus codes and a cool repair drone - why would I be angry_

By the way, why do you say "get them using my time" - they are in no way forcing you to play the game or even participate in any betas. It's completely your choice to do so. Do you really feel like you've been wronged because you aren't getting something that people who paid are getting_ Promises are important to keep, but sometimes things change and you've got to deal with it. No offense, but you aren't dealing with it in a very mature manner.

#49 Trolled

Trolled

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostBornSupercharged, on December 07 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

I'm getting an awesome exclusive mech and double XP bonus codes and a cool repair drone - why would I be angry_
"it's okay if I have the advantage"
I have no words for how terrible is this kind of logic. Again, I have nothing against exclusive cosmetics and xp boosters, but not exclusive loadouts.

By the way, why do you say "get them using my time" - they are in no way forcing you to play the game or even participate in any betas. It's completely your choice to do so. Do you really feel like you've been wronged because you aren't getting something that people who paid are getting_ Promises are important to keep, but sometimes things change and you've got to deal with it. No offense, but you aren't dealing with it in a very mature manner.
So far you've been the immature one by attacking me for pointing out some serious problems.
Forced, no. Fooled is the right word here and whether or not it's true we'll see on the 12th. I pity you if your attitude about being lied to and wasting your time would be to "deal with it".
gotta go slow

#50 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostSylhiri, on November 16 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Will you two ladies calm the hell down. I'm pretty sure we have a message system you can duel it out without it being in a news post like this.

Someone told me that once. I feel it's relevant.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#51 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

here's hoping I can equip that beautiful drone on other mechs in the future~

That's the plan, for Vanguard Initiative cosmetic items to be account-bound rather than mech-bound.
Sorry to keep these questions rolling and what not but are the load-outs eventually going to be obtainable by other means_

#52 LunaticCalm

LunaticCalm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, this is troubling. The moment the vanguard became a unique load out rather than a unique skin for a standard load out, hawken officially crossed the "pay to win" line.

Even if vanguard turns out to not be unbalanced, a gameplay-affecting thing that can only be purchased with real money is THE line you don't cross in f2p games.

Even more baffling is that the devs know this. They have said in numerous news articles and interviews that they know the pitfalls of f2p from seeing other games both do it right, and do it wrong. They know this is the line, and yet they crossed it.

Edited by LunaticCalm, December 07 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#53 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostLunaticCalm, on December 07 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Yeah, this is troubling. The moment the vanguard became a unique load out rather than a unique skin for a standard load out, hawken officially crossed the "pay to win" line.

How in any way is it "pay to win". You bought a package that comes with a free mech. If this mech has no real advantage in having a submachine gun and a grenade launcher then you pretty much just got a mech that is just different from all the other mechs. I'm pretty sure the Vanguard can't one shot people. Pay to win is when you have an advantage over another person through the means of real cash, having a different mech doesn't give you an advantage.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#54 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostSylhiri, on December 07 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

How in any way is it "pay to win". You bought a package that comes with a free mech. If this mech has no real advantage in having a submachine gun and a grenade launcher then you pretty much just got a mech that is just different from all the other mechs. I'm pretty sure the Vanguard can't one shot people. Pay to win is when you have an advantage over another person through the means of real cash, having a different mech doesn't give you an advantage.

I'm actually going to have to agree with this.

My hope is that it's really just a different loadout. I think we're going to be seeing a lot of new weapons and probably a few new mechs as OB opens and continues rolling out.

Posted Image

#55 BornSupercharged

BornSupercharged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostTrolled, on December 07 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

"it's okay if I have the advantage"
I have no words for how terrible is this kind of logic. Again, I have nothing against exclusive cosmetics and xp boosters, but not exclusive loadouts.

So far you've been the immature one by attacking me for pointing out some serious problems.
Forced, no. Fooled is the right word here and whether or not it's true we'll see on the 12th. I pity you if your attitude about being lied to and wasting your time would be to "deal with it".

You've got your mind made up that you've been fooled, scamed, wrongly played and ripped off - despite having not made any purchase, not been forced to play the game at all, and not shed any blood, sweat or tears for the game. I doubt my discussion with you can improve at this point, there's just no reasoning with people who expect the world to give them everything and whine and cry when things change and they can't cope.

You know, the real world is much worse. Having a job, having bills to pay, having a family to feed and having legitimate concerns. If this is the worst thing that can happen to you in life, you've got it pretty good.

#56 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostSylhiri, on December 07 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Any option you have that the opponent does not is an advantage. Any advantage that can only be purchased pushed the game into the P2W zone for some people.

I'm not going to call it pay to win, but I won't call it fair.

Edited by D20Face, December 07 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#57 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostElix, on December 07 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

One question, though_ Any hints on what the Alpha rewards are_ It's a question that gets asked at least weekly here.

We'll be posting news about that later today. :)

I was promised deets!!!

EDIT:

View PostScapes, on December 07 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes, but we've postponed this post to tomorrow. Gotta check on some logistics.

Guess that's applicable across the board, my bad.

Edited by marshalade, December 07 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#58 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:20 PM

This cosmetic repair drone skin is called the PY-R0 H0G Repair Drone and will be equipped on the Vanguard mech of all Ensigns, Lieutenants, and Commanders

Whoa, whoa. This is not okay. I've been completely alright with the rest of the changes, you guys have been VERY generous, but this is NOT alright.

My name will read as Bob Barker in the credits. That doesn't really matter to me.

The drone, on the other hand, was exclusive, and something I was really looking forward to. What gives_

Edited by marshalade, December 07 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

#59 BornSupercharged

BornSupercharged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postmarshalade, on December 07 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

This cosmetic repair drone skin is called the PY-R0 H0G Repair Drone and will be equipped on the Vanguard mech of all Ensigns, Lieutenants, and Commanders

Whoa, whoa. This is not okay. I've been completely alright with the rest of the changes, you guys have been VERY generous, but this is NOT alright.

My name will read as Bob Barker in the credits. That doesn't really matter to me.

The drone, on the other hand, was exclusive, and something I was really looking forward to. What gives_

As Commanders only right_ Perhaps it was a typo in Scapes' post.

Edited by BornSupercharged, December 07 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#60 SOULTRAIN

SOULTRAIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:58 PM

As a follow up, and because you did not restate it in the new Vanguard update; will the MC I spent Money for, not the Free MC we got in closed beta be available for me to use to buy items on 12-12-12_ I would appreciate the MC I spent my money on. If have to buy more MC and if I do will that transfer to Live at the end of open beta_ I pre order the vanguard package for 12-12-12 and did not use the MC I purchase.

(Remember, if you are part of our Closed Alpha or Beta events none of your current inventory, rank, or HAWKEN Credits or Meteor Credits will carry over into Open Beta. Your bonus Meteor Credits will automatically show up in your account at the start of Open Beta on December 12.

You will be getting codes for double the bonus associated with your bundle via the email associated with your purchase.)

Doe this mean I'll get a code in my mail to use and it will apply the MC I purchased_

Thanks

Found part of my owne answer.
Do we get 4800 Meteor Credits again when Open Beta starts like in Closed Beta_
  • No, your account will only have an initial balance of Meteor Credits if they were purchased via the Vanguard Initiative.
that being the case the balance of what i buy will probley transfer to live but if I am wrong or thing have changed please lete me know.

thanks

Edited by SOULTRAIN, December 07 2012 - 11:13 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users