HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

This has GOT to be a joke...

Screenshot

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 02:32 AM

Is there any way to turn off skins, as in make it so you never see them on anybodies mechs_

#42 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted January 09 2013 - 04:13 AM

The fairest way to charge for a game is to provide quality content people are willing to pay for. This is more just preying on the ignorant that have too much money for their own good.

I think you're looking at it wrong. They provide the quality content for free and you pay for the bells and whistles. This let's you play a game you might otherwise not people able to afford which attracts more players, which keeps the player numbers healthy so everyone has lots of people to play against.

It's one of the main reasons for League of Legends success. You. Can. Always. get a game. No slow periods. This was especially important back in the early days of LoL and it's much easier to get people to try a game that's free. If you really want that skin you've basically paid $10 for the entire game. That's less than many indie titles not to mention most AAA games.
Posted Image

#43 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 09 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostSnacuum, on January 09 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Is there any way to turn off skins, as in make it so you never see them on anybodies mechs_

Dont be such a party pooper.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#44 PlanckZero

PlanckZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostLuftwaffle, on January 09 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

View PostPlanckZero, on January 09 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

View PostSunshineSloth, on January 09 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

The point of the super expensive items is that people with money to afford those are supplementing the game for everyone who can't. Games need players and developers need money. I think this is the fairest way to charge for a game.

The fairest way to charge for a game is to provide quality content people are willing to pay for.

This is more just preying on the ignorant that have too much money for their own good.
$10 sure is a lot of money, you're right. That could get you two beers or two shots at a bar! Or a six pack of fuzzy bunny beer at a liquor store!

I'm sorry but your post is ridiculous. If someone likes Hawken enough to pay for a $10 skin instead of one of the many cheaper ones, more power to them for actually supporting a free game that provides them with well over $10 worth of entertainment.

There are people in this world whose spending priorities don't fall solely within the spectrum of video games and booze.

#45 Luftwaffle

Luftwaffle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, Canada

Posted January 09 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostPlanckZero, on January 09 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostLuftwaffle, on January 09 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

View PostPlanckZero, on January 09 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

View PostSunshineSloth, on January 09 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

The point of the super expensive items is that people with money to afford those are supplementing the game for everyone who can't. Games need players and developers need money. I think this is the fairest way to charge for a game.

The fairest way to charge for a game is to provide quality content people are willing to pay for.

This is more just preying on the ignorant that have too much money for their own good.
$10 sure is a lot of money, you're right. That could get you two beers or two shots at a bar! Or a six pack of fuzzy bunny beer at a liquor store!

I'm sorry but your post is ridiculous. If someone likes Hawken enough to pay for a $10 skin instead of one of the many cheaper ones, more power to them for actually supporting a free game that provides them with well over $10 worth of entertainment.

There are people in this world whose spending priorities don't fall solely within the spectrum of video games and booze.
The booze was one of many possible examples. Alternatively one could forego a different luxury, such as junk food, fast food, coffees, a sunset drive along one's favorite route, a fragment of the price of a good model kit, or whatever your particular vice is. Feel free to address the actual point of what I posted, which is that it's ridiculous to be upset about an optional, performance-degrading item purely meant for those who feel extra generous / thankful, and that ten dollars is not a lot of money.

This is especially so when said ten dollars is an optional investment in a game that still manages to provide more bang for your buck than a movie theater, a movie rental, a sports event, or even a particularly cheap prostitute.

Edited by Luftwaffle, January 09 2013 - 10:30 PM.

If you can't stand the HEAT, stay out of the map.

#46 CGBartram

CGBartram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIn my room...

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:06 AM

Ive bought many skins for mechs and if it makes you happy ,who cares  about the prices. B)

As many people have said its worth the cost to support the game makers due to to the entertainment this has given me.

#47 Cypherhalo

Cypherhalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:34 AM

Eh, as the vast majority of the prices are reasonable, only $5 for a mech for example, I don't mind.  I wouldn't pay that much for pink checkers, but if that floats your boat then go for it.
You don't win a war by dying for your country.  
You win a war by making the other guy die for his.  -
sanitizing the great George S. Patton
Posted Image

#48 LulluLea

LulluLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostCypherhalo, on January 10 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Eh, as the vast majority of the prices are reasonable, only $5 for a mech for example, I don't mind.  I wouldn't pay that much for pink checkers, but if that floats your boat then go for it.

Indeed, but I guess the pink one is more noticeable, hence why it costs so much.
Posted Image

www.dirtnapgaming.com

#49 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:15 AM

Really want to buy a new repair drone. I don't even know why.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#50 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:00 AM

i believe the price difference is due to khangs taste for black and pink. i cant remember which video i saw him say it in but he was asked about the skin and he said he just loves black and pink.

On topic tho, no not a joke, its cosmetics, let them charge what they want. i only bought one skin.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#51 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:23 AM

Skins need to be color-customized, so that you can take that Checkers pattern and color it in clan colors, for example.
Also, a skin that shows a pattern when a c mech goes into turret mode ;D (Such as a bullseye or shark teeth)

Decals could also be a nice addition, so you can fly your country's flag, kill marks, clan symbol, etc.

#52 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:27 AM

Bling costs. You want to "look good", gotta pony up da monies.

I will admit, I did wince at the cost of some of the cosmetic items. Thank goodness the black camo (saturation at 0 to get rid of those orange tiger stripes) and the laser repair drone aren't too pricey. I only put these on mechs I really like to use a lot. I haven't used MP for anything else.

Posted Image

#53 ANALYST

ANALYST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIdaho, U.S.

Posted January 10 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, that's right...

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot00024.jpg

#54 ANALYST

ANALYST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIdaho, U.S.

Posted January 10 2013 - 12:19 PM

TOO SEXY!  GET IT____!!!11

#55 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 12:21 PM

straight balling right there. i dont get the blue stripe tho

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#56 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted January 10 2013 - 12:26 PM

I miss my Orange black and grey digi camo. They would probably charge me 1700 for it.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, January 10 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#57 ANALYST

ANALYST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIdaho, U.S.

Posted January 10 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on January 10 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

straight balling right there. i dont get the blue stripe tho

I'm not overly fashion conscious...  I'm open to suggestions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Screenshot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users