HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Remove Explosive Stagger/Stunlock

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove stagger/stun (118 member(s) have cast votes)

Remove stagger/stun from explosives_

1. Yes. (79 votes [66.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.95%

2. No. (39 votes [33.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:06 PM

As some of you may be aware, currently explosives can stagger/stun you if you get hit. This can really fuzzy bunny up your movement in combat and is a rather aggravating mechanic.

In a game that's all about precise movement and good positioning, stuns are out of place and detrimental to good fluid gameplay. Being stopped dead when hit by an explosive is frustrating, and serves as nothing more than to make you a sitting duck.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 15 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

I should probably clarify something here. I'm not against the idea of explosives pushing mechs around, and the sort of gameplay depth that would come with things like strategically knocking a person around or maybe getting a little extra height with a rocket jump.

What I do have a problem with is how explosives currently just stun you. They don't knock you in any particular direction, unless you're in the air, and just stop you. You can interrupt a dodge, or slow someone down who's running away from you, even if logically the explosives should push them away, not stop them dead.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, December 15 2012 - 11:33 AM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:13 PM

*pof*

Edited by The_Silencer, December 14 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:14 PM

You can really feel it as an A class. Seeking weapons are much more annoying because of this.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#4 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:27 PM

I know this is a real pain, but I like that it does that, feels more natural to me
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostMakina, on December 14 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

I know this is a real pain, but I like that it does that, feels more natural to me
But is it good gameplay_
Feelings are subjective. Can you show me why explosive stuns are a good mechanic with reason_

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 14 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

But is it good gameplay_
Feelings are subjective. Can you show me why explosive stuns are a good mechanic with reason_
nope I cant, but I say what I think, I dont dislike it thats all
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostMakina, on December 14 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 14 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

But is it good gameplay_
nope I cant, but I say what I think, I dont dislike it thats all
Fair enough.

AJK is right

#8 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:34 PM

i think it adds a level of depth. lets say some guy pops around a corner. i pace a tow between him and the corner he came from, effectively pushing him out further from the wall. then if he dodges back he will probably still be slightly exposed allowing for a closer mid air tow from myself or a few more bullets to connect. it of course is annoying when it puts u into a wall but it adds to the game imo.

for example. let imagine if rockets in quake didnt effect the physics of the player they were hitting. we wouldnt have rocket jumping or prevention of players making difficult strafe jumps.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#9 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:36 PM

This game mechanic makes me rage.

Not sure about taking it out tho.

Couldn't we find some sort of less rage endusing game mechanic that has similar effects_

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on December 14 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

i think it adds a level of depth. lets say some guy pops around a corner. i pace a tow between him and the corner he came from, effectively pushing him out further from the wall. then if he dodges back he will probably still be slightly exposed allowing for a closer mid air tow from myself or a few more bullets to connect. it of course is annoying when it puts u into a wall but it adds to the game imo.

for example. let imagine if rockets in quake didnt effect the physics of the player they were hitting. we wouldnt have rocket jumping or prevention of players making difficult strafe jumps.

In the case of Quake, I understand this sort of thing. You can end up with interesting things like rocket jumps and juggling, but in Hawken, all it seems to do is stop you in your tracks. You can't get any sort of appreciable mobility out of it, and at best, you perhaps knock someone who launched off a jump pad in their tracks (and that's not always a guarantee).
The way I see it, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay at the moment except to make a person an easier target, which isn't needed because they were just hit by an explosive, which is a disadvantage enough.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, December 14 2012 - 12:39 PM.

AJK is right

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:43 PM

*pof++*

Edited by The_Silencer, December 14 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#12 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 12:48 PM

I remember getting hit by a Seeker in CB3, while flinched I got hit by the following seeker missile and hellfire missiles behind it without being able to dodge as I was frozen in place. It wasn't fun, although the Rocketeer had a blast (ah ha ah ha).

#13 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:06 PM

I think it's why i hate the heat so damn much.

#14 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostNecro, on December 14 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I think it's why i hate the heat so damn much.
I hate the people who use the heat, not the weapon itself, as they usually good with it X_x

#15 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:36 PM

Some vector additions would be alright, but I'm not too big on the whole stun/preventing your dodge from completing that seems to be happening right now.

Posted Image

#16 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostImmie, on December 14 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Some vector additions would be alright, but I'm not too big on the whole stun/preventing your dodge from completing that seems to be happening right now.
Pretty much this
I'd love to do the whole jump pad+explosives launch to teammates, and maybe knock enemies down to the ground, but the game doesn't really work that way at the moment. It's just an annoying movement cancelling explosive, and it's especially bad when you're fighting spammier classes like the rocketeer
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#17 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:48 PM

Using TOW splash to block people from getting a clear shot at you is a good mechanical addition. Waiting 3 seconds to go around a pillar so you dont appear on radar to gamble against this is a good meta addition. Area I use this the most is underneath the bridge on origin. To be able to do this without taking splash back requires precise movement and good positioning. It is the only scenario I know that makes the +Acceleration, +Movespeed optimizations worth the points (okay no, +movespeed is good for other things), because you find yourself walking and edging a bit.

Edited by ReachH, December 14 2012 - 01:54 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#18 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:58 PM

Personally, the stun / shock from explosives adds to the game. Since I'm an avid user of the bruiser and my Hellfire rockets I know that if I hit people the right way when they're trying to do the pad jumps in Siege I can blow them into a wall and keep them from escaping.

Just like you said, sometimes they stop you or jar you to a side. Doesn't seem game breaking to me and simply forces a person to recover where they are and find their bearings. Maybe it's an annoyance to a class A, but the class C's don't bounce around as much. Trade offs of smaller vs larger mechs perhaps_ Can you take that hit and still stand without flinching too much, or do you give way when that tow rocket hits you head on_

Any mech in the air is vulnerable without proper foothold.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#19 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:00 PM

Any mech in the air is a dead duck, but yes there is another niche use for stunlock

Edited by ReachH, December 14 2012 - 02:02 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#20 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostAelieth, on December 14 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Maybe it's an annoyance to a class A, but the class C's don't bounce around as much.

But the trade off for having low health was speed. Flinching us into a spot gives you a free hit that A classes can't afford.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users