HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On crouching

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_ (422 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_

1. Yes (146 votes [35.78%])

Percentage of vote: 35.78%

2. No (159 votes [38.97%])

Percentage of vote: 38.97%

3. Meh (103 votes [25.25%])

Percentage of vote: 25.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 03 2011 - 09:36 AM

What do you think on crouching and why_.

-------

Ok. We already have several approaches on here about an hypothetical implementation of crouching in Hawken:

1.- Crouching just before jumping/jump-jetting could be translated as a bonus of the initial inertia.
( I forgot about posting mine on here, sry. Nitris posted on the same kind of mechanics. )

2.- To dodge and/or evade incomings or other kind of attacks. ( Jet-ramming_...)

3.- Crouching in the air to make you rapidly fall to the ground.

4.- Emulating the repair state to be off-radar.

5.- Crouching to defend yourself by using the geometry around you.

6.- Accuracy bonus whilst crouching.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 04 2011 - 05:22 AM

The videos showing gameplay make it seem like crouching wouldn't really benefit you in any real way, and would probably make you move slower while moving on the ground and therefore an easier target to hit.

Unless there was a bonus to jump height from crouching first (crouch-jump), then I don't really see why you'd need it... And even then, why not just make the standard jump height higher, and remove the need to press another button to get that high.

TL;DR: Meh.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 05 2011 - 10:20 AM

And I do respect your current opinion on this, of course.

On one hand, come to the top of my mind snipper weapons and the possiblity of crouching being somehow useful on that. This is an open poll/thread so it's free to imagine on this as well as posting on this, at this moment, apparently rare subject. :)

For example, in the AvP3 game they decided to not implement crouching. Actually, ( aproximately 2 years later ) I'm still one of the online detractors about that..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted November 06 2011 - 07:55 AM

The only thing I think I would EVER use crouching for is teabagging.

OR

If crouching in the air caused you to immediately fall to the ground very quickly and use it as an evasive maneuver.

#5 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted November 07 2011 - 08:14 AM

I think it might be interesting if crouching was in the game and that, while crouching, you were off radar (sort of like halo.) Because you aren't using your jets to speed around or anything. Might add more appeal to being a sneaky light mech who focuses on objectives, compared to a heavy mech who juts runs around and hunts everyone else because you can juts find everyone on radar.

Also, crouching adds another option when fighting someone, "Oh they have a lock-on me! they are firing missles!" *crouch behind closest pipe or pillar or box or what-have-you*.

I think that in our futuristic-post-apocolyptic-dystopian-robo-world, the mechs should be able to crouch lol

:P
Posted Image

#6 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLair

Posted November 07 2011 - 02:35 PM

AzureCrow said:

The only thing I think I would EVER use crouching for is teabagging.

OR

If crouching in the air caused you to immediately fall to the ground very quickly and use it as an evasive maneuver.
^Sounds right to me, especially second part. Would like to be able to drop quickly.

J2R said:

I think that in our futuristic-post-apocolyptic-dystopian-robo-world, the mechs should be able to crouch lol

:P
Nah I don't think mechs should maneuver crouching like in other games, nor be very sneaky (a sort of cloaking device might fit but I hope there won't be one). Picturing a mech gracefully crouching or slowly sneaking up on something is hard for me...

#7 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 04:29 PM

If you had increased accuracy while crouched in your mech than I could see a use for it. Otherwise it's not really important.

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 08 2011 - 11:28 AM

Ok. We already have several approaches on here about an hypothetical implementation of crouching in Hawken:

1.- Crouching just before jumping/jump-jetting could be translated as a bonus of the initial inertia.
( I forgot about posting mine on here, sry. Nitris posted on the same kind of mechanics. )

2.- To dodge and/or evade incomings or other kind of attacks. ( Jet-ramming_...)

3.- Crouching in the air to make you rapidly fall to the ground.

4.- Emulating the repair state to be off-radar.

5.- Crouching to defend yourself using the geometry around you.

6.- Accuracy bonus whilst crouching.

7.- And I hope that the winner is not... teabagging [only]. :P

Actually, that's a great list, indeed. Can you guys figure out any other possibility_ ;)

Posted Image

#9 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLair

Posted November 08 2011 - 09:06 PM

The_Silencer said:

Actually, that's a great list, indeed. Can you guys figure out any other possibility_ ;)

Crouching to burrow into the ground, or crouch +asdf for a directional roll/strafe_ Not that I necessarily support either of these things.

#10 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted November 13 2011 - 05:39 PM

I don't see why crouching would ever increase accuracy FOR A MECH....
Or the point of what above said about burrowing into the ground.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 14 2011 - 05:06 AM

Well, neither do I on burrowing into the ground. IIRC, FPS games do not like much having the camera rotating many degress ( to not say 360º ).

On gaining better accuracy whilst crouching.. umm... Mechas do not breath. I've not noticed of any smoth animation loop for when the mech is just standing there. So actually.. no idea, really.

Posted Image

#12 V3RTIGO

V3RTIGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:15 PM

I think we are overlooking another obvious option for crouching... hiding from your larger more dangerous enemies in small pathways throughout the map, that is, if you are a smaller type mech. Also, this would allow for smaller mechs to be able to ambush others much easier, due to the presence of such small tunnels and allow for quick movement to differing checkpoints/areas without receiving a billion missiles to the face, IE: prevents chokepoints.

Posted Image

"Humans are not rational, but rationalizing."

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 07 2011 - 09:28 AM

That would probably be a combination of 2 and 5.

-> Updated the OP with the current list of coherent suggestions.

Posted Image

#14 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 06:55 PM

Crouching could prove to be quite useful on the battlefield; i.e lowering-self behind objects/obscuring enemy view, basic manuevering techniques.

The animation for this could possibly be difficult to deliver however.
Naraklok

#15 KamakazeChickn

KamakazeChickn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 06:55 PM

Combat looks to fast to even think about crouching.

#16 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 17 2012 - 05:53 AM

I think that the crouching in the air method would be pretty cool, and I also think that you should be able to crouch to get better accuracy of your guns. It would be cool to be able to lean out from the sides of buildings. Like in arma II.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#17 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted September 17 2012 - 06:23 PM

I say no, not because of too much busy work on the keyboard but because these mechs do not look designed to crouch over an over again for adjustments. Cover in this game is typically brought about by a mountain or building corner. Crouching to improve accuracy only makes sense if you have flimsy biological arms holding the barrel of a weapon. I would like most of these crouching ideas for something like a humanoid robot game.
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

#18 C_K0r

C_K0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 12:01 AM

Good for snipers and such, if it would improve accuracy. Concerning this maybe you should use some sort of lockdown for the long range mechs.

Anyways crouching_ I say yes, because well it makes sense to make use of that extra little bit of cover. Or hide behind that rock/building and jump out to suprise your enemy in the face. Seems enough reason for me.

#19 KnightNeurotic

KnightNeurotic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 23 2012 - 09:39 AM

Crouching in a mech only makes sense to me if you're trying to take cover behind a low object or hide. I have difficulty imagining a mech moving while in a lower position; it just seems quite awkward. Additionally, I see no reason for crouching to influence your aim. As for the movement options, I feel like there isn't much of a need for a variable jump height and you should just fall according to gravity when not using using your thrusters.
Either way, I don't see crouching having much of a meaningful impact.

#20 metalgearmk3

metalgearmk3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted September 24 2012 - 02:23 AM

"5.- Crouching to defend yourself by using the geometry around you.

6.- Accuracy bonus whilst crouching"

I can tell you I needed #5 a couple of times on the city map, just to use it as cover. Point #6 is a great idea also,since there is a trade off with accuracy and being stationary leaving you vulnerable to attacks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users