HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On crouching

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_ (422 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_

1. Yes (146 votes [35.78%])

Percentage of vote: 35.78%

2. No (159 votes [38.97%])

Percentage of vote: 38.97%

3. Meh (103 votes [25.25%])

Percentage of vote: 25.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 GodzillaStance

GodzillaStance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 07 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostCrow, on November 06 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

The only thing I think I would EVER use crouching for is teabagging.

OR

If crouching in the air caused you to immediately fall to the ground very quickly and use it as an evasive maneuver.

Being able to change your jump arc like this in mid-air is a damn good idea but it should defo use up some fuel.
Posted Image

#42 Regginator

Regginator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia.

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:17 AM

Although the crouch jumping sounds like a good idea, I don't really know how a 20+ tonne hunk of high tech machinery could crouch I mean honestly. Can a fat guy touch his toes_ Not most of 'em.
"I now see that the circumstances of one's birht are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." ~ Mewtwo

#43 Regginator

Regginator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia.

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostMasurao, on December 15 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Point 3 makes no sense at all. In what way would crouching increase your fall speed_ You won't weigh any less falling normally than falling in a crouching position.
Straight up agree.
"I now see that the circumstances of one's birht are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." ~ Mewtwo

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:50 PM

IMHO the only way to crouch in Hawken should be repairing your mech..

OH! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 Webcreature

Webcreature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 10:46 AM

In the map origin, standing on the aa platform, sometimes when you want to shoot towards prosk side, they is a platform between the big high point of prosk and middle playform where if I could crouch to aim a little lower to shoot under that platform which is sometimes an obstacle it would be awesome, and in the logical way of the physiology of the mech, those legs can surely go lower for aiming purpose and such, let ppl crouch and use it as they see fit, but if you want to add special effects of crouching, this would be another kind of pole. Right now its a pole anout if we can lower the chasis or not by bending the legs of the mech lower making them slower but can aim in some spots you might not be able to aim standing up or hide behind a wall

#46 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted February 07 2013 - 11:29 AM

We already have a silly mechanic somewhat akin to crouching known as turret mode, we don't need similar to plague the other classes. Mobility's king in the game, we don't need more useless chaff mechanics floating about. It'll probably encourage bad play in the scrubs. Cause what else complements all those pubs floating in the air_ Pubs crouching and trying to 'sneak' around.

Crouch jumps seems like a silly mechanic to have in Hawken considering we can fly and hover and stuff.

And there's a lack of mech-chest-high pieces of cover in the maps. What are we going to crouch behind even_ Do we even want to encourage this nonsense for that matter_

#47 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 03:31 AM

Looking at the geometry of most of the mechs, crouching wouldn't really make them much smaller targets (just look at the heavies in turret mode).

As to the usual video-game concept of "crouching increases accuracy", I'm not sure it applies to machines in the same way.  I'm also not convinced that it's needed.  Most of the weapons in Hawken go where they're  supposed to.

#48 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted February 22 2013 - 04:46 PM

Crouching may assist in aim for a human being because you can brace your arm on your knee, but in Hawken your gun is attached to an appendage outside. Crouching would realistically offer no benefit to aim or precision. I can see it working for an evasive boost downwards though.

Probably should deal some damage to your mech though when you land.

Edited by N0stalgia, February 22 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Call me Nos.

#49 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hmm... C classes might gain some extra benefit by crouching. At least by hidding behind props and geometry on the maps.

Also the idea of crouching + jumping  and subsequently gaining more speed and height with your jump would be an extra possiblity which looks to me like pretty appealing. Just rambling.. :)

Edited by The_Silencer, April 23 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#50 Sergent_Slappy

Sergent_Slappy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:24 AM

Crouching strikes me as a very niche option, though there have been cases where I would have liked to have it.

As has been mentioned several times, small accuracy bonus (10-15% - maybe sniper chasis' get more_) or to hide seems like the way to go, obviously movement speed and agility are reduced as the tradeoff.

If there was half cover available perhaps crouching would provide something like 75%-100% cover.  A skilled pilot could just detonate a TOW rocket or equivilent over your head.  For crouching to be useful in combat I think it'd be have to be activated/deactivated fairly quickly - Hawken is fast; should crouching be implemted it should be fast as well.

I can see using a well-timed crouch to mitigate crushing damage, again for that edge case where someone is jumping on top of you.  OT - I have to say, the one crushing kill I've made so far was very satisfying.

Fun thought on crouching - Mech-Springboard!  - Crouched mech, other mech jumps on top - when it lands, bottom mech uncrouches with boost and launches the other mech like a jump pad.  Crushing damage still applies, in fact it should be increased to account for the extra strain - but that could allow for some interesting tactics/cooperation.

Dems my thoughts.

#51 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:18 PM

Just as side note: I fixed a typo in my latest post. I was referring to C mechs up there.

Actually I think this feature is no longer needed in the game. Nevertheless, revising the height of certain crates and other chunks of map geometry (basically those with which you can get some cover...) would suffice.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

#52 philsan

philsan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 05:43 AM

haw can i crawch ppl

#53 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 07 2013 - 05:04 AM

How can I cook the best spaghhtti a la Carbonara of the entire World_

Puestos a preguntas gilipolleces no vamos a ser menos, no capo v3n3zolano_ Ventu guanaminututi... inp3rs0nnslerdonamino.... amos... t3sp3r0-- kmpe0n.

Lo siento compañero. Es lo que me ha dicho que diga mi vidente... que entiende de la gente... adivinaaass.

Posted Image

#54 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on June 07 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

How can I cook the best spaghhtti a la Carbonara of the entire World_

Puestos a preguntas gilipolleces no vamos a ser menos, no capo v3n3zolano_ Ventu guanaminututi... inp3rs0nnslerdonamino.... amos... t3sp3r0-- kmpe0n.

Lo siento compañero. Es lo que me ha dicho que diga mi vidente... que entiende de la gente... adivinaaass.

What is this Lorem Ipsum_

Posted Image

#55 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 25 2013 - 09:47 PM

Its funny how most players on the first and second page of this thread are no longer around.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#56 Wipman

Wipman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 03:47 PM

With the current maps and gameplay i don't find it usefull, wouldn't be bad... but i think that's not neccessary.

#57 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:52 AM

Actually.. Repairs = Crouching.

Well.. more or less... although you don't have any radar intel during the repairs plus the "in & out" animation "inconvenience" which makes you so vulnerable during the process.. Most of the times you can get cover enough during repairs. also you have Blockades and Shields available in your inventory...

Anyways and IIRC, boosting backwards nor (pure)crouching -nor rear mirrors, Etc.- won't be implemented in HAWKEN due to original specifications in its GDD.

Posted Image

#58 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:02 AM

Take cover!

Posted Image

#59 Decahexahedron

Decahexahedron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 02:39 PM

Honestly, the jump- boost and the falling quickly simply don't make sense, as the mechs use rockets to jump (not leg motion) and crouching in midair definitely doesn't make you fall (faster, at least) in real life.

Edited by Decahexahedron, April 08 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#60 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 08 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostDecahexahedron, on April 08 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Honestly, the jump- boost and the falling quickly simply don't make sense, as the mechs use rockets to jump (not leg motion) and crouching in midair definitely doesn't make you fall (faster, at least) in real life.

As I said before, this mostly is an obsolete thread I created in Nov 03 2011.

However..

1.- A new speed-jump might be something worth to be tested internally. It could be as fun as useful on the field. At first glance burning twice the fuel could be a good start point for this though..

2.- When in mid-air, if you look down and boost you should fall faster. Additionally, a multiplier of, let's say, 0.15 extra damage when crushing some mech down there could be good addition too. This could add value to air manuevers as well as general fun from a gameplay stand point.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users