HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On crouching

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_ (422 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think crouching should be included into the Hawken game_

1. Yes (146 votes [35.78%])

Percentage of vote: 35.78%

2. No (159 votes [38.97%])

Percentage of vote: 38.97%

3. Meh (103 votes [25.25%])

Percentage of vote: 25.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lord_Vague

Lord_Vague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:13 PM

From my understanding, most of the artistic aspects of games such as new crouching animations are finished earlier in the development process. Not accounting for additional tactical elements gained in existing maps that may need to be reworked, adding a crouching feature is probably too costly to add right before the upcoming beta. If crouching was implemented, a number of gameplay elements would be affected including firing height and I could only see such a change happening in a fairly large post-launch update for the game. But hey, I don't work for Meteor Entertainment and can't say for sure.

#22 Sesha

Sesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:55 PM

I don't suppose I mind the thought of crouching, with the intent of using the battlefield to you advantage.  Accuracy makes no sense though.  As a marksman, a human needs to keep in mind four fundamentals.  Breathing technique, trigger squeeze, steady position, and sight picture.  A mech doesn't breath, or even have a heartbeat.  well, I suppose an engine could shake the sights up, if it wasn't designed with any dampeners..  Trigger squeeze isn't an issue either.  Steady position is only an issue if your mech is unsteady, or unable to deal with recoil.  sight picture will always be the same for the pilot, assuming the weapon is zeroed in.  So, all in all, nothing can be done to increase the accuracy of a mech by crouching.  To the point that adding it in would be immersion breaking.

#23 [BV]TinCan

[BV]TinCan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted September 29 2012 - 11:48 AM

1.- Crouching just before jumping/jump-jetting could be translated as a bonus of the initial inertia.

2.- To dodge and/or evade incomings or other kind of attacks. ( Jet-ramming_...)

3.- Crouching in the air to make you rapidly fall to the ground.

4.- Emulating the repair state to be off-radar.

5.- Crouching to defend yourself using the geometry around you.

Points 1 - 5 make perfectly sense.

But "6.- Accuracy bonus whilst crouching" doesn't.
A mech is a machine that is perfectly capable of being accurate when standing still, no need to crouch for that.

Posted Image

“Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects.”
― Roger Zelany

"Where is the HRRRRRNNNN ship_"

― ShavenSatan

#24 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 04:08 AM

Crouching for 'Accuracy & Damage' bonus for snipers. Also using the turret ability on heavies should some extra damage bonus. Also could be fun for ambushing the prey:-)

#25 Slurms_Mackenzie

Slurms_Mackenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:12 AM

Crouching should be included as it will add more variety to movement. Skilled players will be able to use this variation 1 v 1 duals, tactical cover, speed variations (Crouch to drop faster or evade fire) etc.

Another interesting option to test would be a crush maneuver where you could fall crouched increasing acceleration (So if u fell from a certain height u would reach the required crush speed) and if u land on the enemies head u would crush their mech instant kill or measured damage based on speed.

Crouching could also affect on accuracy and rate of fire. Maybe the mechs could go into siege mode which would take time for the mech to enter and exit as the mech crouches and locks to the ground, this allows double the rate of fire so the mech almost functions like a turret.

Edited by Slurms_Mackenzie, November 02 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#26 MajFireStorm

MajFireStorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, Los Angeles

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:26 PM

It is doubtful crouching would ever be considered, most if not all obstructions are taller than your Mech (when you are behind it - few are more slender).

IMO, What would be a more relevant ability, would be a feature that clamps you to the ground (immobility w/added accuracy = less recoil) - the obvious side effect would be the immobility part, while entering/leaving that mode.

Edited by MajFireStorm, November 03 2012 - 12:28 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:29 AM

crouching would be very useful for us snipers.
1) it would help us blend into the landscape. right now before i set up to start sniping i look for the silhouettes of other snipers agains the terrain. couching would make this difficult because they would be a lump on the ground at long range

2)accuracy buff would kind of unbalance the snipers advantage if it tightened the spread on weapons like the assaultrifle and smc

3) imo it should offer a similar profile to the repair mode but it would keep your guns out. basically it would just collapse the legs.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#28 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:25 PM

View Posthexadecimal, on November 07 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

AzureCrow said:

The only thing I think I would EVER use crouching for is teabagging.

OR

If crouching in the air caused you to immediately fall to the ground very quickly and use it as an evasive maneuver.
^Sounds right to me, especially second part. Would like to be able to drop quickly.

J2R said:

I think that in our futuristic-post-apocolyptic-dystopian-robo-world, the mechs should be able to crouch lol

:P
Nah I don't think mechs should maneuver crouching like in other games, nor be very sneaky (a sort of cloaking device might fit but I hope there won't be one). Picturing a mech gracefully crouching or slowly sneaking up on something is hard for me...
I agree. Unlike the Japanese Humongous Mechs, these are lumbering not-so graceful behemoths. Also, on point 3 the thing is, that "radar" is actually a motion tracker, meaning, as long as one stays still, they won't be detected, making crouching for "stealth repairs" redundant.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#29 DarkWoody

DarkWoody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:43 PM

Tbh, i think it's fine the way it is. I don't really think crouching will add much more to the game. Moving is pretty cumbersome already. Crouching slows down the pace even more.
Posted Image

<(^-^<) <(^-^)> (>^-^)>

#30 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:46 PM

It's fine the way it is.

BTW, pretty obsolete thread. I opened it in 2011.  :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#31 GREW

GREW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 12 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 22 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

It's fine the way it is.

BTW, pretty obsolete thread. I opened it in 2011.  :)
It feels weird coming back and posting in threads we discussed to death back in '11

Edit:
In general*    :P

Edited by GREW, December 12 2012 - 02:36 PM.

Posted Image

#32 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 12 2012 - 03:22 PM

Indeed :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#33 Masurao

Masurao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:26 PM

Point 3 makes no sense at all. In what way would crouching increase your fall speed_ You won't weigh any less falling normally than falling in a crouching position.

#34 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:48 PM

Do you realize on that this is quite an obsolete post, is it_ :)

Posted Image

#35 Colin23

Colin23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:09 AM

I don't think crouching should effect mid-air movement, because that doesn't really make any sense. Why would the shortening of the mech's legs increase the acceleration due to gravity_

However, I do support crouching as a means of taking cover, one thing that wheeled or tracked vehicles can't do when compared to legged ones.

#36 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted December 19 2012 - 04:17 AM

CoD>>>>>that way.
Posted Image
   I dreamed a thousand new paths...I woke and walked my old one.

#37 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:46 PM

No, because they would waste too much time on a functionality which wouldn't even get used, combat is too fast, and too many things have splash damage for it to be of any real use, some classes already have a turret mode, that's already in the game and serves a similar purpose, right now they should focus on more important and more useful things like:

Autobalance: last time I was on team deathmatch I ended up by myself against 7 other players, once your team is a few members down, everyone starts to leave and then its just a matter of time before you're on your own.

Posted Image

I'll see you on the battlefield. You won't see me.

#38 0Gungrave0

0Gungrave0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:37 PM

next you'll want to go prone

i say no to crouching.....wouldn't do you any good unless your sniping which is pointless with how accurate all the bullet weapons are.

Posted Image

#39 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 20 2012 - 12:05 AM

Honestly, crouching makes no sense "anymore" in Hawken.

Edit: Just have a look at the geometry of the maps. All maps have been planed to cancel the requirement of crouching.

Edited by The_Silencer, December 20 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

#40 lemec

lemec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 01:06 AM

I feel like crouching would slow down the game and allow for more camping mechanics and sneaking around. I think I prefer the fast dogfighting action that this game presents already. There's already a ton of other sneaky-sneaky type FPS games out there.

One of the things that really draws me towards Hawken is the lack of one-shot kills and the lack of benefit from too much crawling around and sneaking around. It's also the limitations of mechs such as taking time to turn as well as having to deal with the sluggishness of a big mech that makes the game less dependent on twitch reflexes and more dependent on better piloting and judgement. Last thing we need is another game with lots of chest-high walls everywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users