HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Favorite flavor of mech

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite flavor (388 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite flavor

1. Walkers(Star Wars ATST) (65 votes [17.38%])

Percentage of vote: 17.38%

2. Humanoid(Gundam style giant robots) (63 votes [16.84%])

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

3. Battle Armors(Mechwarrior Elementals) (93 votes [24.87%])

Percentage of vote: 24.87%

4. Other(Please explain) (27 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. All(Mechaphiliac) (88 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

6. None, my greatest hope for Hawken is that they replace all the mechs in the game with talking furniture. (38 votes [10.16%])

Percentage of vote: 10.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted May 24 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

Here we go.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#42 Symmenix

Symmenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationEDN.III. Outer Rim.

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:06 PM

Dafuq_

You may be expecting the wrong thing here, ezio..
In my Shadow, There is a pile of rust. That was you.

#43 PandaKan

PandaKan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted June 14 2012 - 08:12 AM

Have to agree with Chaoz and Varaka......can't wait to test them out, nuff said.
Posted Image

#44 Thorazine

Thorazine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn a Box

Posted June 14 2012 - 12:07 PM

Think I found this thread too late, someone already posted the Krogoth. Sad. At least I get this:
Posted Image

Also, Mammoth MK.II from C&C Tiberian Sun.
"The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy" -Jim Rohn

#45 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well seeing as the thread is alive again...

I grew up playing with my Dad on his Mechwarrior game in good ol' DOS. Thing is, the mechs always felt too rigid because they barely move their upper half of the body. It felt odd... as if they could simply lose balance and fall over at any moment.

The first ever mech game that I bought, was Armoured Core. Basically the other end of the spectrum to Mechwarrior. It was amazing! Being able to swap body parts, boost around the place, even melee things! But it also felt unrealistic, because they were a little too nimble.

Anyway, multiple games down the line (and many animes/films too, heh) I was yet to come across anything that felt right.
Then Hawken came into my life.
Now, I haven't had the pleasure of piloting one of the Hawken mechs, but from the videos and other footage I have watched, it just looks right. It has a believable and realistic balance of size, power, and kinetic force. It isn't outlandish with oversized weapons, or crazy designs that simply wouldn't be given the "ok" by any sane person. They look and feel plausable, and that is what does it for me.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#46 Rainier

Rainier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 11 2012 - 05:02 PM

I love most everything related to robots, hence mechs. Gundams are alright, but the flashier ones are a bit silly.

Evas are fantastic. Biomimickry and artificial muscle is the future, mang. They make a lot more sense than the chunkier stuff, like gundams. What the crap kind of servos do you have to put in those things to get them to move naturally_ Yeesh!

Then of course Armored Core (if you couldn't already guess) and ZOE style mechs. Minus the "cock-pit." WTF, mang... what an unlikely, unprotected position.

And the mecha from Ghost in the Shell- good mix of what appears to be old fashioned machinery and biology inspired.

Thorazine, that picture just made my day.  ;_;  It's even carrying my favorite weapon.  (That's a Pixie, right_  2 or 3_)  Man, I love those games.  I wish From Software would make one of Hawken's quality.
Posted Image

#47 Rinying

Rinying

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationbehind you........

Posted July 13 2012 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image
i love the chromehound mechs. EPIC. nothing like strapping on 5 sniper rifles, and firing them all at one singular mech in a super volley.

#48 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 05:10 PM

Rinying said:

i love the chromehound mechs. EPIC. nothing like strapping on 5 sniper rifles, and firing them all at one singular mech in a super volley.
That right there is one damn sexy mech.

#49 LessPewPewMoarQQ

LessPewPewMoarQQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 03:40 PM

I have to say my favorite style of mechs are how the armored core games do them. They're slightly humanoid (some more than others, depending on how you built it) but extremely mechanical in look and feel.

#50 Kyperion

Kyperion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 04:52 PM

I voted other because I want to see ones like the Odin or Thor from starcraft 2.

#51 C_K0r

C_K0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 01:51 AM

I'd say walkers cuz they are more efficient, who needs arms if you only need guns right_
But I love mechs in general so it wouldnt really matter to me if you'd put all of em in.

But if you don't put in walkers then that would suck lol.

#52 Vilyria

Vilyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:25 AM

E V E R Y T H I N G

Posted Image

My blog-> MELODIC-MISSILES

#53 Bewitched

Bewitched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:42 AM

I like them all, but my favorites are the really fast ones. Bipeds of all types as long as they have really good mobility, kind of like the NEXTs in Armored Core 4 and the Dom series in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I've come to believe in that flavor of mech as sort of like a walking ground attack fighter with enough armor so that it doesn't take off like one, but with the amount of protection that suggests, it wouldn't need to, strictly speaking.

That said I'm also a big fan of the missile-launcher-with-legs mentality in the Macross series, and the mentality of the Metal Gears.

"It's a tank! With legs! It's totally awesome! The Shagohod sucks!"
"The SDR-5V Spider introduces the Inner Sphere to the future of battlefield fleeing. Blasts, barrages, or bombardments; when running isn't good enough, be good enough to Run Big."
~Zack Parsons of SomethingAwful, Dorkiest Mechs of 3025

#54 Jangoes

Jangoes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa

Posted September 19 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostVilyria, on September 19 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

E V E R Y T H I N G

^ sums my taste up

I honestly believe there is a place for all the different types of Mechs. Get at The Big O, That is a Japenese Mech that moves more like the American Mechs

#55 Etherict

Etherict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 08:38 AM

Humanoid, though I also don't much like the whole agile, martial-artist mechs.

#56 FirstSgtDan

FirstSgtDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, SP - Brazil

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'd say both battle armors, walkers, and everything in between.
Posted Image

#57 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 20 2012 - 02:44 PM

Armored Core started it all for me, and I think their designs are the closest balance to humanoid "Mobile Suit" type mechs, and Battle Armor. They hauled swift, they were an intense weapons platform, sophisticated and specific elements that dictated their own unique performances, and the customization flexibility made them INFINITELY more interesting. We never needed to see how they were controlled, it felt so comfortable in a Playstation controller already.

I love Mobile Suits, but I find it difficult to comprehend controlling a bipedal mech with two joysticks. (No, I never played Xbox's Tekki.) Moreover, the act of actually falling over seems to have a lot of consequence with that design, but it's still entertaining Sci-Fi to me. My favorite among those were the MS-09 Rick Dom's because their legs acted more like turbo-charged hover platforms, and these heavily armed hulks just drifted across the ground in a scream. Then when they got close, they had these brutal heat-sabers. While I thank Toonami for introducing me to the franchise with Gundam Wing, that show hasn't aged well at all. I'm glad I moved onto the Universal Century timeline.

The first Macross was outstanding. If VF-1's existed, I would drop everything to become a pilot of one. Not just because I've always loved fighter jets since I was a small boy, but because aesthetically, they are just brilliantly awesome. Makes sense that it would need completely new equipment for space warfare, in the show they're constantly being damaged and ripped apart, so there's feasible vulnerability to them, but their awesome speed, accuracy, and payload rips enemies apart ever two-fold. But as I looked deeper into the franchise, Macross 2 was freakin' weird (and non-canon), Macross 7 was even weirder, and Macross Frontier played too hard on the whole love triangle aspect. In fact, the entirety of the J-Pop becoming literally weaponized was as annoying as it was absurd to me...I need a war-drama with VF-1 pilots...

So yeah. Real-mechs! That's why I'm here. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 GUEST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationThe land of apple pie and toddler pageants.

Posted September 20 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostVilyria, on September 19 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

E V E R Y T H I N G

Hell to the yeah.
Posted Image

#59 Tessaiga

Tessaiga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBillings, MT

Posted September 20 2012 - 05:59 PM

Armored Core style nimble death machines.

Ultra long ranged, sword and rifle beasts that are only good far away or up-close.
Get them in the mid ground and they fall to pieces.

Posted Image

#60 JakatoX

JakatoX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationThe Omniverse!

Posted September 20 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hmmmm....Let's see, I like Supers, Reals, Hybrids, Walkers, Mini Mechs, Tank-Type, Drones, And all things Robotic......

I was also Awarded The Title "The Living Human Giant Mecha Encyclopedia" on many Mecha sites due to the Fact I've seen Practically Every Anime remotely involving Giant Robots including really REALLY Obscure ones like Mechander Robo, Layzner, and Hades Project Zeorymer.....

And I got skills in Engineering just so that I could build a Giant Robot!.......

.......Soooo I would probably say the "All" option! :lol:

Edited by JakatoX, September 20 2012 - 06:16 PM.

The Living Human Mecha Encyclopedia!

Posted Image

http://youtube.com/Studios24U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users