HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Who else refuses to play Siege Mode_

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Siege Mode (277 member(s) have cast votes)

Who else here won't play SM_

1. Me (71 votes [25.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.63%

2. Still sieging (206 votes [74.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 XenoMorph

XenoMorph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationNY USA

Posted December 30 2012 - 08:39 PM

Play it everyday
Posted Image

I usually assume my team-mates are retarded :)

#22 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted January 03 2013 - 06:36 AM

dont really understand it. but i like teamplay and play only TD and MA

Posted Image

#23 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 04 2013 - 04:53 AM

I have no option in the vote of: I am not boycotting it.. I am just not a fan of it and play other modes.

Let me rephrase... I have and do play it from time to time. But I find it boring unless I am with friends and so I typically ignore it for the other modes.

Edited by Akrium, January 04 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#24 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted January 04 2013 - 05:53 AM

I'd love to play it... if it were possible to get a match on Oceania or Asia servers.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#25 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 06:09 AM

Siege is my favorite mode. It does get annoying when some newbs keep running EU to the base with 18/600 left while the enemy is 0/5 on the AA, but from time to time you get epic matches with two good and balanced teams that make you regret all good things have got to end. (600+ credits and total kills in the 100s)

Another thing I find a bit annoying: close range weapons vs battleship. Brawler's Flak Cannon barely registers damage. Maybe add some gun platforms for mechs, so they can fire on the BS when their primary isn't suited for it_ Long range weapons can do brutal damage, sometimes destroying a BS before it gets to the base without controlling the AA to shoot it down.

#26 ArmoredCore

ArmoredCore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted January 04 2013 - 06:39 AM

Agreed, the mode needs tweaking, but I'm honestly not sure what that tweak would be yet.
I think there should be another use of gathering energy besides launching the ship, like if you don't currently have your ship in the air, you could choose to launch a nuke on AA to clear the enemy team and overtake it.

That way the energy capture points would continue to be places of importance, and the enemy team would have to divide their forces to stop the wipe rather than having a 5 man camp set up for the rest of the game.
Posted Image

#27 Steakhouse

Steakhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 07:14 AM

That, or give the battleships more functionality.

I'm pretty sure now that if both battleships are in the air, they will stop if they meet each other. I think that has some tactical value since if your own team's HQ is on the ropes and the enemy team has the AA locked down, launching your own ship might buy time for the team to take the enemy's down by hand.

But I think the battleships themselves should do more, like maybe actively fight each other. It seems like the only weapons they have are the two turrents on their undersides ... how are they even bringing bases down_

#28 ArmoredCore

ArmoredCore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted January 04 2013 - 07:35 AM

I never really looked up to watch it, but I did wonder how it killed your base once you take out those two cannons.

I feel like you could be able to destroy the weapons that kill your base too, or at least damage them to a point of minimal effectiveness, slowing the damage your base takes instead of getting steamrolled.

I'm no Death Star engineer, but I'm pretty sure if you're blowing up a ships engine to the point that the thing entirely explodes, it's probably going to be losing some power in its offensive capabilities.

Edited by ArmoredCore, January 04 2013 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostSteakhouse, on January 04 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure now that if both battleships are in the air, they will stop if they meet each other. I think that has some tactical value since if your own team's HQ is on the ropes and the enemy team has the AA locked down, launching your own ship might buy time for the team to take the enemy's down by hand.

Launching your own ship is only usefull if the AA is contested and not firing missiles. If the enemy has enough people on the AA, it's shot out of the air before it can stop the other ship (unless it's launched when the enemy ship is already close by, then it delays it for a few seconds).

#30 GodzillaStance

GodzillaStance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 07 2013 - 07:49 PM

Its my favourite mode but yeah its feels unfair at times. An even well played close match in siege is a rare thing, for me at least. A balance fix would be nice but I can deal with the defeats and complaining team mates for those sweet sweet 2k+ exp wins.
Posted Image

#31 Steakhouse

Steakhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostSeedling, on January 04 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Launching your own ship is only usefull if the AA is contested and not firing missiles. If the enemy has enough people on the AA, it's shot out of the air before it can stop the other ship (unless it's launched when the enemy ship is already close by, then it delays it for a few seconds).

The way I see it, if most of the enemy team is sitting on the AA, that means most of them won't be bothering you if your team focuses on attacking the enemy battleship. Sure, your team's battleship is going to go down in a few missile hits, but sustained fire from two, three people on the enemy battleship will also bring it down soon after your own team's ship is destroyed, assuming no one was wailing on it before your team's battleship launched in the first place.

The destruction of both battleships in your team's side of the field also gives you a jumpstart in collecting energy for launching another. Assuming no one on either side hasn't already been stocking up on energy reserves in the meantime, your team won't have to gather as much energy from the refueling points, while the enemy team will have to split up to do so. So you can take that split in manpower from the AA to try and take it and hold it down.

Anyway, I see it as a "what do you have to lose" tactic, because after a certain point taking the AA back from the enemy won't save your base in time, since launching missiles from the AA at all is a tug-of-war process. The AA missiles also take some time to actually *hit* after launching, too.

Edited by Steakhouse, January 10 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#32 cpl_bradders

cpl_bradders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 11 2013 - 05:13 AM

Love it love it love it

I was born at the AA

Operation of this mech binds you to the terms outlined in the Life/Death Policy Agreement, Section 2.

You are immediately liable for any and all damage incurred to this mech.

#33 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 11 2013 - 08:46 AM

TDM/MA>DM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>unconscious>>>>>>>>>....   >>>>Siege

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#34 Coldbound

Coldbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWinland

Posted January 11 2013 - 11:28 AM

Do you guys know how long the eu stays on the ground_ Would it be a viable tactic to make a suicide in your base if your tanks are filled with eu and the ship launches before you get to deposit it_ That way you could get fast eu right at the base if you need to launch another ship.
Posted Image

#35 BursT_

BursT_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 03:04 PM

i really love siege. actually i enjoy all game modes, but siege is definately my favorite when teams are balanced and the matches close enough. I've seen great games where most players worked together on both sides (i'm surprised this actually can happen without much communication in hawken) and even multiple comebacks... great stuff!

But what bums me out is that it's also much more annoying to be steamrolled in siege then it is in other modes. cause in siege all that happens is people avoiding fights and just focusing on the easy objectives aka "xp", like collecting EU and shooting the ship... it becomes pretty passive and boring even if you are on the winning team.

But you can't really blame anybody, it's in the nature of the game mode. and it's not like everyone is dumb in a bad team either. often they know what to do, but fail cause they can't play their mech yet, can't shoot, have bad fps/ping etc...then they try to make the best out of the situation and get at least as much xp as possible.

And what should the winning team do then_ just get bored back at the AA and watch how their ship gets shot down_ of course they will try to stop them and people will cry "duh, spawnrape!!!"

honestly, i have no idea on how to change that without changing the whole game mode... but i guess it will be a much better experience for everyone once the clan system is out and casual players get more separated from the more competitive ones.

View PostColdbound, on January 11 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Do you guys know how long the eu stays on the ground_ Would it be a viable tactic to make a suicide in your base if your tanks are filled with eu and the ship launches before you get to deposit it_ That way you could get fast eu right at the base if you need to launch another ship.

Yeah i was thinking the same, does anyone know exactly_ if there is a timer, it seems pretty long...

Edited by BursT_, January 11 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#36 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted January 11 2013 - 03:39 PM

I've played Siege since it was offered in Alpha and have played through all the broken iterations of it, but still kind of like it.

I can only say that while it is a difficult game to grasp, I have noticed over the course of Open Beta that people are starting to "getting it".

Sure, it is often more lopsided than Missile resulting in more than 60% of the games being dominated by "veterans", but I've had more satisfying games come out of Siege than any other mode available thus far. It's a fun mode.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#37 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted January 11 2013 - 03:41 PM

I believe only 300 EU total drops from your ship once it is blown up, so you'd still need to get 300 more.

EU dissipates as it sits around and will completely disappear after 30 seconds (if I recall from CBT2 we tested it to be 30 seconds, but I could be wrong).
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#38 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 11 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postc0mad0r, on January 11 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Sure, it is often more lopsided than Missile resulting in more than 60% of the games being dominated by "veterans", but I've had more satisfying games come out of Siege than any other mode available thus far. It's a fun mode.

Very fun mode indeed, once I felt like Leonidas who has to rally his men to overcome the 200 hp odds over 1700. we won and it was epic!!!

Siege mode really brings out the camaraderie among players

#39 Steakhouse

Steakhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostBursT_, on January 11 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

And what should the winning team do then_ just get bored back at the AA and watch how their ship gets shot down_ of course they will try to stop them and people will cry "duh, spawnrape!!!"

honestly, i have no idea on how to change that without changing the whole game mode... but i guess it will be a much better experience for everyone once the clan system is out and casual players get more separated from the more competitive ones.

New maps for Siege to replace the ones currently used might be a good idea, actually, keep Origin and Bazaar for Missile Assault and the like.

The most expedient way I can see to avoid a team spawncamping while trying to defend their battleship when it's attacking the base is to move team spawnpoints *away* from the end destination for battleships. Make it so that the defending team has to leave their spawnpoint in order to attack the enemy battleship, even when it's in their side of the field.

Alternatively ... these are battleships. They've got to have some pretty awesome long-range weapons. Why do they need to get all up in the enemy base's grill_ These ships could hang back on their own team's side of the field, or at least midway off to a side or something. Either would probably give the defending team more incentive to attack the AA and would prevent spawncamping.

Heck, I'd like to see some bigger Siege maps overall, supporting more players.

View PostBursT_, on January 11 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yeah i was thinking the same, does anyone know exactly_ if there is a timer, it seems pretty long...

It's not that long. I'm thinking maybe a minute, two at most.

Edited by Steakhouse, January 11 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#40 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted January 14 2013 - 06:29 PM

i really enjoy it. i like to collect fuel for the ship

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users