HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Who else refuses to play Siege Mode_

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Siege Mode (277 member(s) have cast votes)

Who else here won't play SM_

1. Me (71 votes [25.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.63%

2. Still sieging (206 votes [74.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted January 15 2013 - 02:13 PM

You get the most XP/HC from this mode. While it needs a fuzzy bunny load of work, I advise all new players to play it if they want new mechs faster.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#42 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Location3rd planet from the Sun.

Posted January 19 2013 - 08:10 PM

My biggest problem with siege mode, is that nobody freaking play's it!. every time I have played a good match with atleast 4 people on each team, it's been really fun, and everyone enjoyed it. Got a heck of HC and EXP. Now, I can barely find anyone to play it. So that is why it fails, because people refuse to play it.
Posted Image

#43 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted January 25 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 19 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

My biggest problem with siege mode, is that nobody freaking play's it!. every time I have played a good match with atleast 4 people on each team, it's been really fun, and everyone enjoyed it. Got a heck of HC and EXP. Now, I can barely find anyone to play it. So that is why it fails, because people refuse to play it.

What region are you_ West Coast is usually full of siege matches after 6pm or so, when people get home from work.

Posted Image

#44 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:46 PM

Siege is how I grind for most of my XP, when I feel that grinding is needed. And if you can get the other team in on it you can get long matches (I got to 49 or 50) by doing a back and forth type thing, we launch a ship, they shoot it down with the AA and vice versa.

I like siege cause it's fun and you kinda need a team with a brain for it to work, and when played correctly it's great XP and HC.
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#45 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 02:01 AM

View Postnokari, on January 25 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

View PostP4THF1ND3R, on January 19 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

What region are you_ West Coast is usually full of siege matches after 6pm or so, when people get home from work.

Really_ Damn, last time I was on (its been a week or something) the only lobbies that had ANYBODY playing, ahem: lobby, was TDM.

Yeah, I play West Coast.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#46 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:47 AM

I play almost every day and almost exclusively on siege.

I think the slowdown is partly because school has started for a lot of the players.

Posted Image

#47 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ah, yes, school. That thing I do and should pay more attention to.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#48 Spirtikus

Spirtikus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted February 09 2013 - 03:26 PM

Love siege.
Posted Image

#49 M3KKA

M3KKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted February 09 2013 - 04:14 PM

love siege mode and play it as much as i can
Posted Image

#50 Paintingbuddha

Paintingbuddha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:41 AM

siege mode is the best mode of them all I think.

I just wished EVERYONE would use a headset OR listen to the guys that have one.

#51 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:00 AM

I don't really enjoy siege as it is currently designed.   I will however play the fuzzy bunny out of it to level a mech.

#52 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted April 28 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostDeu, on December 22 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Whoever is in charge of SM really needs to start trying.

This is a weird thread in how it starts off.  Did I miss something_  From reading through it.  It seems like Siege used to be something different then what it currently is now_  Anyhow, I vote "Still Playing"  Unless you explain what is wrong with it instead of saying its needs "Fuzzy Bunny" amount of work then this Tread is of little value.

#53 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted April 28 2013 - 12:19 PM

I play it occasionally.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#54 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 07:38 AM

What exactly is Broken about Siege_  My only gripe is that the teams tend to get stacked.  The Good players want to play with their "Friends" who are also good players and it turns in to a Pub stomp on the Noob team, but who said life was FAIR_  The "Good" Players could be more willing to play with a team that has new to Siege players to help them although it can be incredibly frustrating at times........

#55 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted April 29 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on April 29 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

What exactly is Broken about Siege_  My only gripe is that the teams tend to get stacked.  The Good players want to play with their "Friends" who are also good players and it turns in to a Pub stomp on the Noob team, but who said life was FAIR_  The "Good" Players could be more willing to play with a team that has new to Siege players to help them although it can be incredibly frustrating at times........
Stacked teams mess up any game mode. Siege needs work in a few ways. First, some maps give teams a major advantage in capturing and/or holding the AA. Second, gathering EU is far less important than holding the AA. The only reason to leave is individual greed.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the big two.

#56 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostFussyBadger, on April 29 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Stacked teams mess up any game mode. Siege needs work in a few ways. First, some maps give teams a major advantage in capturing and/or holding the AA. Second, gathering EU is far less important than holding the AA. The only reason to leave is individual greed.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the big two.

I would have to disagree with your point that the maps give an unfair advantage.  No team or position is unbeatable.  Either your team is stronger in Skill etc or they are not.  I've played hundreds of games of Siege so that's been my experience.

As for the EU gathering, if you didn't have a reason to leave then no one would leave the AA.  The team out gathering the EU is an example of a weakness that the stronger/more experience team will take advantage of.  This is Strategy.  Not something to be used to describe Siege mode as Broken.

#57 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:37 AM

Ignoring the maps and any mech balance issues that may occur, one of the major Siege problems is that you can actually prolong the gamemode indefinitely without even fighting the opposing team. A 5 or 6 person team that is determined not to lose and cannot hold the AA can bunch up around one EU point, defending their EU gatherers, and then defend by standing in their base while sniping the enemy battleship. The problem is that the only way to really fix this is to either remove the cap on battleship health, which only promotes ship spam (which in turn kinda promotes this same strat, as you lose the least EU due to deaths and the like) or to remove damaging the ship with guns, which makes EU collection virtually irrelevant and focuses all of the importance on the AA

It's actually pretty easy to fix the EU portion of the gamemode, but the AA -BS relationship can't really be salvaged in its current form in an intuitive and interesting way.
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#58 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostBeemann, on April 29 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Ignoring the maps and any mech balance issues that may occur, one of the major Siege problems is that you can actually prolong the gamemode indefinitely without even fighting the opposing team. A 5 or 6 person team that is determined not to lose and cannot hold the AA can bunch up around one EU point, defending their EU gatherers, and then defend by standing in their base while sniping the enemy battleship. The problem is that the only way to really fix this is to either remove the cap on battleship health, which only promotes ship spam (which in turn kinda promotes this same strat, as you lose the least EU due to deaths and the like) or to remove damaging the ship with guns, which makes EU collection virtually irrelevant and focuses all of the importance on the AA

It's actually pretty easy to fix the EU portion of the gamemode, but the AA -BS relationship can't really be salvaged in its current form in an intuitive and interesting way.

Stalemates do NOT occur in Siege mode.

There are times when it feels like the two teams are evenly match and the fights at the AA are prolonged but that is what creates those EPIC battles that make the Victory/Defeat that much more meaningful.

It is virtually impossible to Snipe the Battleship and actually blow it up before it reaches your base and deals out damage.  The opposing team simply will not allow your team to stand in the open and do this.  By the time it has reached your base even if the team is behind the base walls, the team could not shoot the ship down in time before it deals damage.

Edited by BurnsHot, April 29 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#59 Kinzuko

Kinzuko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 08:38 PM

View Postmarshalade, on December 22 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Bad poll is bad. it's just that incorrigibly bad teammates ruin it for me.
this
Posted Image

#60 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted May 02 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on April 29 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Stalemates do NOT occur in Siege mode.

There are times when it feels like the two teams are evenly match and the fights at the AA are prolonged but that is what creates those EPIC battles that make the Victory/Defeat that much more meaningful.

It is virtually impossible to Snipe the Battleship and actually blow it up before it reaches your base and deals out damage.  The opposing team simply will not allow your team to stand in the open and do this.  By the time it has reached your base even if the team is behind the base walls, the team could not shoot the ship down in time before it deals damage.
...So the fact that we've blown up the ship when it has max health with no damage to the base means what to you exactly_
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users