HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EMP - Overpowered and out of Control!!!! or is it_

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#61 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 24 2012 - 02:13 PM

The balance of EMP's will flux with the changes to CM's (if any)
Isn't that why they buffed if from 4 to 6 seconds in the first place.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#62 tJev

tJev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 24 2012 - 02:28 PM

If the EMP shouldnt be nerfed the other items needs a serious buff.. HE Charge should probably need to deal around 4-500 dmg to be nearly as good, with the same splash as the EMP.. Yeah, now we are talking!

Currently there arent any items that can compete with the EMP. As has been told earlier in this thread the EMP was considered the best item in closed beta and the duration was about half of what it is now. Although it has been moved from defensive item to offensive item, so i guess thats a good nerf.

Anyways, if you cant see how complete invulnerability and shutting down a few mechs with one item for 7 seconds is IMBA i guess none here can help you.

//also frequent MVP :)
- Lvl.25 EOC Infiltrator
- Lvl.25 Vulcan Bruiser (cleverly disguised as a tiger Fred)
- Lvl.25 SMC Cupcake
- Lvl.25 Flak Brawler
- Lvl.25 Vulcan Berserker

#63 Rosengren

Rosengren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostAnimal_Man, on December 24 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's YOUR opinion. I'm having fun using EMPs and getting owned by EMPs. I have no problem with it at all. If you don't like it, quit playing the game.

I don't like it one bit and I'm supporting the total reworking of the EMP item as a consequence of my opinion being what it is. If you don't like it, quit pl-... hrm.... hrrmm...

#64 absolofdoom

absolofdoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 04:10 PM

They should just make it so you lose your HUD (crosshairs included) but can still fire your weapons. I wouldn't have a problem with it anymore.

#65 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 24 2012 - 04:54 PM

There should be an EMP harden internal that reduces the effect of the EMP.
Posted Image

#66 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostHiphin, on December 24 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

It's interesting me and my friends are all Top 3 players...

I'm curious what the you mean by top 3 players_ Like can place top 3 on the scoreboard_

I'm speaking on behalf of and echoing the sentiments of those who have been actively training for the competitive scene. Last beta it was half the duration and still considered the best item. Everyone ran it, and with teamwork chain EMP-ing lead to instant death. It doesn't need a nerf because noobs are complaining. EMP should just be equal in power to it's alternatives. There is no reason to consider picking anything else if you want to win. Simply if you pick MG turret, HE charge or anything you're wrong.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#67 LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, United States

Posted December 24 2012 - 08:44 PM

I only ever used EMP when I'm below half my HP and I'm about to get ganked. I don't think mine ever lasted 7 seconds... is it a perk upgrade or something_
I salute to the fun times that could've been had here.
RIP:
Spoiler

#68 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 08:53 PM

No, it's a 7 second effect, but it can be nullified with countermeasures.

#69 Kitsunin

Kitsunin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostAnimal_Man, on December 24 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's YOUR opinion. I'm having fun using EMPs and getting owned by EMPs. I have no problem with it at all. If you don't like it, quit playing the game.
Okay, feel free to tell me this again after you inform me of what new and interesting gameplay EMPs bring to the table, by refuting my earlier post:

View PostKitsunin, on December 24 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

The problem with EMPs, is they present no counter-play to the table. The reason silences/disarms work in other games is because they are necessary to shut someone's combat ability down so they are out of the picture at a crucial time, but in this case they act as a counter to someone with very powerful skills/weapons you need to remove from the picture. It doesn't work in a game like Hawken because everyone is a threat, there's no need to shut down a dangerous individual so the EMP functions as just another form of attack, one which is nothing but irritating for the one attacked. Getting an EMP thrown at you is like getting a grenade thrown at you, only the result of failing to dodge is having your weapons shut down for seven seconds, you don't need to think about the possibility of getting an EMP thrown at you because by avoiding regular fire you're doing the same thing you have to do to avoid getting EMPed. When you are EMPed you don't need to react in a special way, just get out of the fray, but this doesn't help the gameplay because that's already how you react to overheating or having low health.
And FYI: 'If you don't like it, quit playing' is only a proper argument when there's another similar game that doesn't have the thing someone wants to avoid. If this is my only option, I want it to be as good as it can be, and guess what_ Developers aren't infallible, Siege mode is proof of that. So of course I want to give criticisms to try to make it the best it can be, and if I feel EMPs are a problem, well, you're gonna have to explain why they aren't one or ignore me.

Edited by Kitsunin, December 25 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#70 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 24 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 24 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

No, it's a 7 second effect, but it can be nullified with countermeasures.
balance is where a broken and overly powerful easy-to-use device is countered by a one-per-life high-cost automatically-activated disposable item_
Whatever you say bro
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#71 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 24 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

balance is where a broken and overly powerful easy-to-use device is countered by a one-per-life high-cost automatically-activated disposable item_
Whatever you say bro

Wait, what_

#72 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 25 2012 - 02:58 AM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 24 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Whatever you say bro

Wait, what_

That was irony, Karaipantsu. :)

More than one CM per life should be the way.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#73 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 25 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 25 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 24 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Whatever you say bro

Wait, what_

That was irony, Karaipantsu. :)

More than one CM per life should be the way.
Eeeeeeew
No, just get rid of them both
Before we all get EMP cooties
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#74 Kamile

Kamile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGreen Noa I

Posted December 25 2012 - 03:25 AM

I can't complain about the EMP but I'll agree it is really strong. I don't use it myself though. I've just not had the same problems against it others seem to. Dancing around the closest object has worked for me almost every time. I'm sure it's been mentioned way before me but maybe having the time reduced to 4 seconds on the outside of the AOE radius and 6 for dead on hits. Always a nice reward for using an item well.

#75 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostKamile, on December 25 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Always a nice reward for using an item well.
Using an item well_ You can't really miss with a weapon that has a radius at the size of the globe, there's no reward for using this item well, since to use it badly you would have to be a total scrub. Catch an opponent in the middle of nowhere far from any cover, what then_ Gonna tell him to go dance around that invisible pillar over there while you shoot him_ Yeah I am sure that will work out for him... Besides A-Class mechs can easily catch up to mechs of bigger size if they try to dance around cover. If you want the EMP'ed opponent to die, and is able to track targets, it will die. They don't have a choice in the matter.
Posted Image

#76 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 09:28 AM

Remove countermeasures and drastically reduce the explosion radius on EMP.

#77 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 25 2012 - 10:47 AM

I hated it when I got EMP'd, but to be honest it's only happened to me twice ever (and I'm level 22 right now) so it's been very rarely used in games I've played in.

#78 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 25 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Remove countermeasures and drastically reduce the explosion radius on EMP.

+1 to that... Though I wouldn't mind having it's effect time reduced, as well.
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#79 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 25 2012 - 05:12 PM

The EMP is unbalances and the countermeasures are worthless. you use a countermeasure once and you have to spend most of the HCs you earn for the match to replace it. you could easily use more then you can replace anyway. also you can use the countermeasure once per life, so they are just a joke. People who think the EMP is not unbalances either don't want their "I win button" taken away or are just fools. Also from what I have read, it seems to me that the EMP will be rebalanced. we will hopefully see something that is well balanced when they are done, but there will be people that still complain about it.
Posted Image

#80 Firaphex

Firaphex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationPolarbear country

Posted December 25 2012 - 05:37 PM

Am i the only one that's NOT concerned with the EMP_
I've been hit with it a quite a few times but honestly i don't really care that much. All it means is that i have to switch from attack to defense/dodging for a short period and in the end i still feel i have a decent chance of walking away alive from the encounter.

I've also begun using it myself and find that it's only really good in a few scenarios like when fighting multiple enemies or when your target has no/little chance of escaping or evading. The best use i've found for it is as a kind of a last resort when i'm about to overheat or low on armor and need a few seconds to correct this before engaging in another fight. So to me the EMP is situational.

This means it has to be timed and used correctly to be effective and while getting hit can get you killed, it is rare for it to be unavoidable. So basically it's down to pilot skill just as it is with most things. I mean it really has no effect if you're good enough not to get hit, and that should be a priority no matter if you are hit with an EMP or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users