HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Replace the ability of the SS

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on January 01 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostLordofNosgoth, on January 01 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Take the ability to do any of the above away from any sniper/marksman class, and all you've really done is create a situation in which said class is a freebie kill.
SS is only a free kill if you suck with it.
And it's entirely possible to make a balanced sniper/sharpshooter/marksman class without relying on dumb mechanics like 1-shot kills.

I only partially agree with this statement. Allow me to elaborate:

BF3, while a mediocre game, is a great example. The most powerful Sniper weapon is the M98-B. Which, unless it's a headshot, only deals 95% damage unless its unscoped and extremely close range. While this doesn't mean an instant kill, what it does serve to do is put an enemy out of combat for a brief period, unless they like the idea of dying repeatedly. Meanwhile, the sniper class in this game does have the ability to CQC... even if its severely limited. With the 93R, you'd be surprised how efficient a good marksman can be running minor assault if forced to. The key emphasis here being placed upon "...if forced to...". Will a proper assault class mount a much better offensive_ Absolutely! Is it possible for a Sniper to defend himself if caught in a bad CQC_ You betcha.

The larger point here is pretty damned simple: Even in mediocre games, the gamer can adjust on the fly based upon the situation in order to increase the gamer's probability of survival. You can argue that Hawken allows you to do the same all you like, but it really, really does not. Which is sad, because in CBE2 it most certainly did (at least to some greater or lesser extent). Now you're just a walking target. Maybe after a player gets a few dozen or so tech points to add to their mech's tree, this changes, but I somehow severely doubt it.

When was the last time your infiltrator didn't absolutely decimate any SS on the field_ I know mine has certainly never had any trouble out of them. I see one on the field and think "Cool. Now if I can scoot around his teammates, that will be a free kill!" And I'm usually right and they always are, unless some TOW spammer hops in the way first. SS just can't take on any of the faster classes. Truth be told, unless you tech all of your points to movement, it can't even outrun a Brawler, which is just lunacy.
"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#122 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostLordofNosgoth, on January 06 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

When was the last time your infiltrator didn't absolutely decimate any SS on the field_ I know mine has certainly never had any trouble out of them. I see one on the field and think "Cool. Now if I can scoot around his teammates, that will be a free kill!" And I'm usually right and they always are, unless some TOW spammer hops in the way first. SS just can't take on any of the faster classes. Truth be told, unless you tech all of your points to movement, it can't even outrun a Brawler, which is just lunacy.
^
You claim that the SS can't take out any of the smaller classes.

You are wrong, you know. The A-classes are not a pushover that you just shoot in the face till it's dead(except for the fact which states that's what you have to do), But it is fully possible to take them out in a CQC situation.

Edited by TwiceDead, January 07 2013 - 04:32 AM.

Posted Image

#123 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 04:32 AM

View Postprobiner, on January 03 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Carry on... what am I missing_And for the love of Fuzzy Bunnies, why quote if your post is just next to mine_...

And the comment on turning around, lag compensation, and all that other fuzzy bunny is the same thing every other class has to deal with in the same proportions, so that's hardly endemic to the sharpie.
Of course it is, because since SS is more hit-fail-die will of course suffer more from it than a hitscan automated macinhegun. That's obivous...

Questions:

- 6 good Sharpshooter pilots play all 4 maps versus 6 good Berseker/Scout, who wins_

- More mobilty does not not only make you faster, but also also make your fuel last longer and recover faster_
Those zerkers are not coming home this night/day... That much I can tell you.
Posted Image

#124 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostTwiceDead, on January 07 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

But it is fully possible to take them out in a CQC situation.

..not to toot my own horn but I can attest to this.

however RSI says no most other times.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#125 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:06 AM

RSI_ o.O What's that_
Posted Image

#126 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:17 AM

repetitive strain injury or masturbation turning a lot when aiming since lights just love dodging in front of you.

Posted Image

#127 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:32 AM

If i have full health on my SS and an A-class sneaks up on me, he'd better dodge back and forth like a pro hockey player, because otherwise he will likely find my Slug+Sabot combo deal with a nice helping of Damage Amp and a side order of MG Turret to be rather fatal.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#128 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:46 AM

lightbulb..

..Hawken Hockey game mode.

Heavies could totes be goalkeepers with turret mode.

Edited by Woobins, January 07 2013 - 05:47 AM.

Posted Image

#129 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostWoobins, on January 07 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

lightbulb..

..Hawken Hockey game mode.

Heavies could totes be goalkeepers with turret mode.

If you start selling that idea, i want 10% equity ! :D

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, January 07 2013 - 05:49 AM.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users