HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Point-D Vulcan, Sub Machine C, or Assault Rifle_

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Point-D Vulcan, Sub Machine C, or Assault Rifle_ (397 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer_

1. Point-D Vulcan (172 votes [43.32%])

Percentage of vote: 43.32%

2. Assault Rifle (145 votes [36.52%])

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

3. Sub Machine Cannon (80 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:14 PM

Does the AR still have the accuracy falloff when its fired continuously_ I thought that was its intended tradeoff with the SMC. I love the sound the vulcan makes but CQB I prefer the flack cannons for the cover-strafe-dodge-cover burst damage rather than having to stand in the open to hose things down.
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#42 the_mentalgen

the_mentalgen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 07:24 PM

Tried the point-d on my 'zerker, it was fairly lacklustre, I was doing more reliable damage with my smc... even close up. If the AR is as good as everyone says I think i will try it out.

#43 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:00 AM

View Postthe_mentalgen, on October 27 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Tried the point-d on my 'zerker, it was fairly lacklustre, I was doing more reliable damage with my smc... even close up. If the AR is as good as everyone says I think i will try it out.

The AR functions nearly identical to the SMC with better range and accuracy at the cost of some rate of fire. I find the AR to be more reliable in in most situations since you can still deal damage in midrange fights as long as you fire in controlled bursts. In CQC spamming it is slightly slower than the SMC with more spread, but it isn't a big difference. The Point-D is very useful, but mostly in TDM and in smaller maps with alot tight corners like "Facility" and "Prosk". Its a little hard to get used to as boosting resets the startup delay so you need to dodge side to side and fire away. Given that the Berserker is an A class mech, don't try to simply out dps B/C classes that are also using Vulcans. Most of the time you will end up losing unless you are dodging or mitigating the damage somehow.

Edited by Highchu, November 11 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#44 FWMietzsche

FWMietzsche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 06:33 AM

There's no point in using AR with Berserker. If you are goint to stay at mid-range, you're better off with CR-T

#45 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted January 14 2014 - 08:30 AM

So I read here how weak the SMC is... yet I'm using it on many of my mechs and never felt like having problems killing enemies. Someone said that AR overheats slower than SMC - have you considered rate of fire as well_ They both have the same heat rate, but SMC simply shoots more bullets per second. Maybe we need to work with a different unit: damage per overheat. Wonder which one is the best in damage per overheat, but I'm too lazy to do the math by myself.
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#46 DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted January 29 2014 - 09:30 AM

Sub Machine Cannon I find it more effective for close to long range and always gets the job done. I stop using the Vulcan long ago due to the range is fuzzy bunny on it and the sub seems too outgun it in every fight I go into. all in all assault rifle is nice as well.
Practice good sportsmanship, You were a noob once too

Posted Image

#47 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostZaxik, on January 14 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

So I read here how weak the SMC is... yet I'm using it on many of my mechs and never felt like having problems killing enemies. Someone said that AR overheats slower than SMC - have you considered rate of fire as well_ They both have the same heat rate, but SMC simply shoots more bullets per second. Maybe we need to work with a different unit: damage per overheat. Wonder which one is the best in damage per overheat, but I'm too lazy to do the math by myself.

Old thread from 2013, when the SMC had Vulcan stats but no damage to back it up. Someone really needs to archive threads to keep so many necro posts from happening.

Also Vulcan for the BRRRRT, SMC is in second.

Edited by Stingz, February 23 2014 - 04:34 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#48 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:01 AM

This thread is so old that my vote has been justifiably in each category at least once. I give up; it's not worth updating my vote when weapon balance changes so radically so often.

Vulcan because it goes BRRRRRT.

It was fun while it lasted.

#49 xXxHeathcliff

xXxHeathcliff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:56 PM

I like the SMC, because it feels like using a normal gun, the other ones are like huge turrets.
My Rig: Core i5 3450-
GPU: Nvidia 630-
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912-
Favorite Game Genere: First Person Shooter

#50 NECRO_TYPE1

NECRO_TYPE1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:57 AM

I've been using the Point-D Vulcan since yesterday and have loved it for close-range combat over the SMC. However, it does produces a noticeable decrease in accuracy at a range the SMC was producing decent damage. I'll wait till I can purchase the AR to make an actual preference comparison.

#51 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostZaxik, on January 14 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

It's been extensively rebalanced since then. The SMC now produces less heat and more damage than the AR.

#52 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 03 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostNECRO_TYPE1, on April 02 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

I've been using the Point-D Vulcan since yesterday and have loved it for close-range combat over the SMC. However, it does produces a noticeable decrease in accuracy at a range the SMC was producing decent damage. I'll wait till I can purchase the AR to make an actual preference comparison.

AR is essentially useless when SMC is currently so good, tiny range/accuracy bonus, and less DPS.

Edited by Stingz, April 03 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#53 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:46 PM

Just playing with stats here... Assuming all shots hit (!) the SMC/AR are about equal DPS at ~58m, with a ~5% advantage to the SMC at close range and a similar ~5% advantage to the AR at long range.

SMC has ~26% more damage for the same amount of heat, though.

Edited by Terr_, July 01 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#54 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 02 2014 - 07:22 AM

I prefer AR at any range, even up close.
The accuracy is just awesome.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#55 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 02:28 PM

Submachine hands down,  if I read stats I'd probably us3 Vulcan up close and AR long,  but she wins hands down all ranges
i don't mean any of it

#56 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 23 2014 - 09:57 AM

Assault Rifle all the way! I simply love its suppressed machine gun sound and its range as I'm most of the time a Mid-Range fighter.
I love the Point-D for its sound and looks. Other wise, its garbage.
SMC is basically just a tin box having a PVC pipe sticking out of its end. Hate it but gotta use it to get my Assualt to Prestige level to unlock the AR!

Assault Rifle all the way! I simply love its suppressed machine gun sound and its range as I'm most of the time a Mid-Range fighter.
SMC is basically just a tin box having a PVC pipe sticking out of its end. Hate it but gotta use it to get my Assualt to Prestige level to unlock the AR!
Posted Image

#57 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 23 2014 - 09:59 AM

Posted Image

#58 Likaon_2013

Likaon_2013

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationThe homeland of Polandball ;D

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:04 AM

How does it look at the berzerker mech_ Lot of you are saying that assault riffle is the best, but honestly I think berzi really dont need long range weapon, its a mech made for flanking...
However, i played Bruiser and i didnt really liked Vulcan, I find it very impractical because of the spin time and high heat rate.
Actually im playing SMC.
What do you think_ Wich of these is best for berserker_

#59 Vlenzo

Vlenzo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHighLand

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:07 AM

Point-D Crusher nuff said

#60 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:48 AM

Either the SMC or Vulcan is good.  It all depends on your play style.  If you find yourself getting up close and in their face a lot then Vulcan.  If you notice that you try to stay mid range more, then go SMC.  I would put AR last in the bunch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users