HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Penalization for players excessively quitting

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Penalization for Players Excessively Quitting (250 member(s) have cast votes)

Penalize players for excessively quitting_

1. Yes (127 votes [50.80%])

Percentage of vote: 50.80%

2. No (123 votes [49.20%])

Percentage of vote: 49.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWashington State Interwebz

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:14 PM

!! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!

Proposal:  Introduce a penalty system into the game for players that quit matches excessively during a certain time frame.  Ex:  If a player quits three times within 24 hours they are banned for three days.  Quitting without penalty between matches is allowed.

Reason:  Players quitting due to any reason during a match not only negatively impacts flow of the game but also the balance for 3 out of 4 game modes: Siege, Team Death Match and Missile Assault.  It is disrespectful to those who have taken the time to sit down and enjoy a game of Hawken only to have their 5 on 5 match turn into a 1 on 5 or 5 on 1.

It slows down accumulation of HC and experience on both sides and is generally just poor sportsmanship and shows a lack of dedication and respect to your fellow Hawken players.  It is a competitive game.  Matches won't always go the way you want.   Deal with it or play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Now before you say "Well what about real life_" that is the reason the proposed system would allow for a certain number of "strikes" per day and would allow you to quit without penalty between matches.   Also, a typical match of Hawken lasts 15-30 minutes.  If you aren't sure you can get that sort of time to play, don't.  I also don't know what you could possibly be doing that would interrupt you 3 times COINCIDENTALLY EVERY TIME you sat down to play Hawken for 45-90 minutes in a day outside of poor planning/time management/someone in your house being a troll.  And if it's your internet, get it fixed.

Keep in mind, the proposed "Three Strikes" and the length/severity of penalty are just suggestions.

Edited by NoJustice, January 14 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#2 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:16 PM

Well yes, there must be some kind of something ike that....

How about they cannot quit once their in_

#3 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 14 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well I thought about that, but what's to stop them from just jacking their ethernet cable out of the wall or just minimizing the game and making themselves a useless shell anyways_

#4 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostNoJustice, on January 14 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 14 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well I thought about that, but what's to stop them from just jacking their ethernet cable out of the wall or just minimizing the game and making themselves a useless shell anyways_

How about an AI placeholder for quitters_

#5 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:29 PM

Possible, but that would be denying someone else a chance to sharpen their skills/play for the day/ earn points.  I also find that even the worst player is better than the best A.I. simply because human beings can switch things up and surprise you.  Unless you're talking about the Perfect Sims from Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64.  Those were insane.

#6 Un3thical

Un3thical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Locationcomputer

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:31 PM

YES!! people who quit really do ruin the fun, if you are losing so bad you should gain from it by working with your team. i've never quit, only diconnected :(

#7 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:33 PM

Well I personally don't have an issue with it. A minor penalty is fine in my eyes should people consecutively leave games but other than that I don't see why they should. People have things to do which can get in the way sometimes. People may not be enjoying that particular game and want to find another, I'd hate the game to penalise people for trying to enjoy it...! Essentially there's a myriad of reasons why people want or need to leave a game and the instances are few where it is purposeful to harm a game in some manner as far as I am concerned.

An A.I. place holder is not a suitable substitute for a quitter. If people are leaving a game and can justify it that 'oh an AI will fill in, it's fine', in my mind would be a bigger issue and not help the situation. That would also require a ton of resources be put into an AI. We might get bots at some stage again but they were never too bright and would spoil the game in my humble opinion.

Posted Image

#8 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostSubdivision, on January 14 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Well I personally don't have an issue with it. A minor penalty is fine in my eyes should people consecutively leave games but other than that I don't see why they should. People have things to do which can get in the way sometimes. People may not be enjoying that particular game and want to find another, I'd hate the game to penalise people for trying to enjoy it...! Essentially there's a myriad of reasons why people want or need to leave a game and the instances are few where it is purposeful to harm a game in some manner as far as I am concerned.

Please read the beginning post.  I addressed this.  This is exactly why you don't get hammered for one or two infractions and are also able to switch between matches.  Maybe adding separate tallies for each game mode would help as well.  Also, it wouldn't be as bad as you fear.  LoL has a similar system and their matches last twice as long.  And every once in a while yes, someone has to leave, but what the system does is prevent people from just up and leaving because "Oh, my team isn't winning" or "I'm getting stomped, better bail." and leaving your team at a disadvantage.

Edited by NoJustice, January 14 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#9 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:47 PM

Ohand they SHOULD tell apart people frm getting Disconnected from quitting....

#10 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 14 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Ohand they SHOULD tell apart people frm getting Disconnected from quitting....

No, because people can just physically disconnect the wire, or turn off their wireless.
Posted Image

#11 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:54 PM

Maybe it should be like cs go with competitive and causal modes_

#12 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostCyclonus, on January 14 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

I don't understand the difference.  If you leave your teammates high and dry in casual it's still the same as leaving your teammates in competitive.  You're still leaving a gap on your team that may or may not be filled by someone of equal or greater skill (if it's filled at all), probably costing your team the match and fuzzy bunnying everyone over.

Edited by NoJustice, January 14 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#13 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm in favor of the idea in general, but 3 days is just insane lol.
Posted Image

#14 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostZeshi, on January 14 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

I'm in favor of the idea in general, but 3 days is just insane lol.

Well right, it was just an example.  : 3

#15 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostNoJustice, on January 14 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostCyclonus, on January 14 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

I don't understand the difference.  If you leave your teammates high and dry in casual it's still the same as leaving your teammates in competitive.  You're still leaving a gap on your team that may or may not be filled by someone of equal or greater skill (if it's filled at all), probably costing your team the match and fuzzy bunnying everyone over.
Because you'll be expecting it in causal and players with connection problems or whatever have a place where they don't get penalized while having a place for more serious users to play without to much fear of having their team whittled down to themselves.

#16 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:12 PM

3 days being suspended is way too excessive and doesn't really fit the offense. I think a better idea might be that quitting a match costs HP or XP. It could be a standard amount each time or increases by a constant rate (maybe 1.5x) each time the person quits within a 24hr period.
For example, if you quit once, you have to spend 100 hawken points. Then a couple matches later you decide to quit again, so it costs 150hp. The next time it costs 225hp, etc. It provides incentive to stay in a match, since you only get a couple hundred hp per match as it is, so the more you quit, the more it hurts when you want to buy items and internals.
And to prevent people from accidentally losing hp, it could be required that you have to ready up and enter the Lobby or enter a match for the penalty to take effect. That way people who want to leave right after a match and don't leave in time before the next map begins to load won't get hit with a penalty simply for being slow to leave. And people who join a match and want to leave right after their first death can't run off without consequences.

Edited by nokari, January 14 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:14 PM

Altough its rude to quit on people you are having a game with banning people for hours or days is a bit extreme. Sometimes you just need to quit because you need to go, something unexpected happend etc

People should be limited / bound to the game ghey have signed up for for the duration of that game. That way you prevent people hopping around because they happen to be in the losing team but also give people the chance to quit the entire game to go and do something entirely different (ie not hawken).

#18 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostAgile, on January 14 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Altough its rude to quit on people you are having a game with banning people for hours or days is a bit extreme. Sometimes you just need to quit because you need to go, something unexpected happend etc

People should be limited / bound to the game ghey have signed up for for the duration of that game. That way you prevent people hopping around because they happen to be in the losing team but also give people the chance to quit the entire game to go and do something entirely different (ie not hawken).

You didn't read my first post.  This was addressed in the fact you have multiple strikes per day.  You don't just mess up once and get the hammer. Also you say "People should be limited/bound to the game they sign up for for the duration of that game" then say "Also give people the chance to quit the entire game to go and do something entirely different (ie not hawken)".  So how does that work_  They have to stay in that game but can quit out of it if they want_  That makes no sense. That's the same as what I proposed except mine has a penalty if they do it excessively.

#19 NoJustice

NoJustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postnokari, on January 14 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

3 days being suspended is way too excessive and doesn't really fit the offense. I think a better idea might be that quitting a match costs HP or XP. It could be a standard amount each time or increases by a constant rate (maybe 1.5x) each time the person quits within a 24hr period.
For example, if you quit once, you have to spend 100 hawken points. Then a couple matches later you decide to quit again, so it costs 150hp. The next time it costs 225hp, etc. It provides incentive to stay in a match, since you only get a couple hundred hp per match as it is, so the more you quit, the more it hurts when you want to buy items and internals.
And to prevent people from accidentally losing hp, it could be required that you have to ready up and enter the Lobby or enter a match for the penalty to take effect. That way people who want to leave right after a match and don't leave in time before the next map begins to load won't get hit with a penalty simply for being slow to leave. And people who join a match and want to leave right after their first death can't run off without consequences.

Good idea, but yours doesn't provide enough of a deterrent for people to not quit. A person can make about 1000 HC in about an hour of play.  There are people out there with literally thousands of HC they are just sitting on, and there are people like me with peanuts.  So what is to stop someone with HC to spare from quitting and trolling every team they're on if the mood takes them_  The only way yours would be effective is if it worked on a % of HC and not a flat amount.  And what about those with 0 HC_

And even that could be seen as more harsh than what I proposed because you are having what you earned (your hawken credits) actively taken never to be seen again.  Whereas with mine, your mechs, exp, and hc are still there, you're just suspended for a little while.

Keeping players that quit excessively out of the community allowing us to game without having to worry about them quitting and making teams uneven would be best for both parties.  Also keep in mind I said the three days was just a suggestion.  I personally think 2 is fair because A) it's not coming out of the blue, you've been warned prior, B ) If you can't respect other peoples game, you need to be gone.

Edited by NoJustice, January 14 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#20 Ryuronin

Ryuronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted January 14 2013 - 04:41 PM

fuzzy bunny happens wether emergencies or internet problems or someone who gets fed up with being outmatched. Free-will, quit crying over stupid stuff, as we get more players this wont be so much of a problem. JESUS GUYS fuzzy bunny QQ

|CR-T Recruit "bOOBtUBE"|Sharpshooter "Ronin"|Rocketeer "Razgriz"|Reaper "DeathScythe"|Bruiser "Tank"|Brawler "ThunderThighs"|
Posted Image
http://www.team-omen.com/default.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users