HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR (180 member(s) have cast votes)

AM-SAR or Hawkins-RPR

1. Hawkins-RPR (92 votes [51.11%])

Percentage of vote: 51.11%

2. AM-SAR (88 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted February 04 2013 - 12:40 AM

Well, I'm converted to the Reaper, lol. AM-SAR if you wanna play like a sharpie, Reaper for close/medium engagements, which is what I mainly do
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#22 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 02:59 PM

Finally got to test drive the Reaper, it is my new buddie. Almost have enough HC to unlock it too, very exciting.

The AM-SAR is awesome, I had to train myself to remember to spam the SABOT because I was having so much fun banging away with the AM-SAR.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#23 Garuda

Garuda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSailing the Seven Seas with my trusty Beluga Whale steed

Posted March 05 2013 - 03:24 AM

Find it interesting that there is not much of a difference in # of people for each.
Each probably caters to different playstyles.
Posted Image

#24 Xtratega

Xtratega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted March 05 2013 - 04:21 AM

AM-SAR is better, at least until I get to unlock the Slug Rifle

P.S: Slug Rifle master race, reporting in.

That's a feely feel that you need to feel to understand how it feels, bro.

Twitter

#25 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 06:47 AM

I find the Hawkins more annoying to fight than the AM-SAR. It somehow puts me under more pressure, not unlike the Vulcan, because of its contsant damage output. People with the AM-SAR or other low frequecy weapons need to aim more, which is not always possible in a chaotic environment that you're often confronted with in the game. So I tend to get more nervous around the Hawkins which results in me making more mistakes. But I guess that's different for everyone.
[Pilot Error]

#26 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted March 05 2013 - 07:39 AM

Ok kids listen up. knowledge bombs incoming. Un scoped the am sar does about 48 dps. Scoped it does about 90 this means that if you can use the scope you have access to one of the highest dps guns in the game (slug does about 78 dps to put it in perspective) don't know about the ripper but it seems to do about 60 dps so on paper the am sar is much better

Edited by Skrill, March 05 2013 - 07:40 AM.

Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#27 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted March 05 2013 - 01:04 PM

AM-SAR

Higher DPS, less heat generation, higher accuracy, greater effective range. Pretty much better in every way to the RPR.

#28 Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostSkrill, on March 05 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Ok kids listen up. knowledge bombs incoming. Un scoped the am sar does about 48 dps. Scoped it does about 90 this means that if you can use the scope you have access to one of the highest dps guns in the game (slug does about 78 dps to put it in perspective) don't know about the ripper but it seems to do about 60 dps so on paper the am sar is much better

Where are you getting the 48 DPS unscoped_ To my knowledge the AM-SAR does 30 damage scoped or unscoped and hits ~3 times a second putting it at ~90dps (just barely more) whether it is scoped or not.

As to the poll question, I use the AM-SAR becasuse at close range while not scoped with your ability you can hit with it pretty easily and it's a much better weapon in medium and long range.

Edited by Xenogenesis, March 05 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#29 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted March 05 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostXenogenesis, on March 05 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Where are you getting the 48 DPS unscoped_ To my knowledge the AM-SAR does 30 damage scoped or unscoped and hits ~3 times a second putting it at ~90dps (just barely more) whether it is scoped or not.

As to the poll question, I use the AM-SAR becasuse at close range while not scoped with your ability you can hit with it pretty easily and it's a much better weapon in medium and long range.

It originally did less damaged while unscoped, giving it's ability more purpose as it made the weapon act as if you were scoped, near-doubling damage.

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#30 Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostRudaForce, on March 05 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

View PostXenogenesis, on March 05 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

As to the poll question, I use the AM-SAR because at close range while not scoped with your ability you can hit with it pretty easily and it's a much better weapon in medium and long range.

It originally did less damaged while unscoped, giving it's ability more purpose as it made the weapon act as if you were scoped, near-doubling damage.

I have never seen anything that said it did more damage scoped but I guess that makes sense.

When he posted this it was no longer the case that it changed damage scoped or not. Only weapons that do that or have ever done that to my knowledge are the Sabot and ke-sabot

#31 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted March 18 2013 - 11:25 AM

yep am sar does a lot more damage scoped. get a friend an test it for yourself
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#32 Adonis

Adonis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:19 PM

AM SAR > RPR
Just in terms of damage output. Yes you don't have to click with RPR but it is like shooting peas.

The AM SAR rewards the quick player, it can heat up quickly so you are juking the enemy unloading when you can then juking around cover to cool-down and reduce heat.

Use RPR at short-mid range if you are lazy and just want to let the bigger mechs take the heat while you help whittle them down.
Posted Image

#33 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted March 25 2013 - 03:34 PM

I use the RPR, namely because I dislike having to spam mouse1 every time I get in a close-mid range fight. I don't do much long-range sniping and instead just hang toward the back of my team, so I generally just provide suppressing fire and can get assists with the detonator.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#34 Diabetus88

Diabetus88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:41 PM

I will refuse to vote for the sole reason of each has its own strenght and weakness. The RPR is great at close, close/mid ranges but starts to fall off at mid range vs A and B Class mechs, it still if ok vs C classes because the bullet spread can still hit them. Also it builds a lot of heat so its not so good for long engagements. The AM-SAR is great for long to mid range fights its ok close but the RPR is much better at close up fights. It also generates a lot less heat which is good for longer fights. Both weapons make good use of the reaper's accuracy ability and are both solid weapons its more of how you like to play.

#35 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:01 PM

Agreed that each weapon has inherent strengths and weaknesses.

For me the Am Sar was much moreuser friendly andnotannoying
theRipperjustwas painfull to use. I am sure that very many situations it could have been more doninant.  But I cared less to play a mech that way.

Unlocking the slug mad eboth obsolete.

#36 Riflebird

Riflebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostGree, on January 25 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostColdbound, on January 25 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Have you noticed that the RPR does no damage whatsoever to a turret mode c-class_ :D
I actually did. A turret mode C-class it's a problem to an average reaper, since it doesn't has powerful weapons.

My Reaper has no problems taking down a C-Class by itself... from afar.

Whenever I spot a turreted C, I hang back, click on the special ability, then scope in and just perforate it with AM-SAR and KE-Sabot rounds. Believe it or not, its health goes down FAST if the pilot isn't paying attention. Even when he realizes he's being hit, the turret is too slow to get out of the way and so is transforming back to a mech.

The problem is, up close, a C-Class will take a Reaper across its knee and give it a thorough spanking. Not fun, if you're the Reaper. :(

#37 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:21 PM

RPR is better with the ability in use. The ability is basically worthless otherwise.
Call me Nos.

#38 FALE

FALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted May 14 2013 - 11:10 AM

AM-SAR is the business.  My K/D ratio goes up when using that vs the RPR.  SAR doesn't fit my play style either, because I tend to rush and go no-scope on whatever is moving in front of me, but it just works.  I overheat constantly too, lolz.

#39 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted May 14 2013 - 01:03 PM

Doesn't the AM-SAR only deal, like, 45 damage unscoped but 90 scoped, or are those numbers obsolete_ Because looking at those numbers makes me want to go back to the AM-SAR.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#40 ScHizNiK

ScHizNiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted May 14 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm lazy and i don't like clicking plus the RPR seems to have better sustained accuracy.

Posted Image

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users