HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR (180 member(s) have cast votes)

AM-SAR or Hawkins-RPR

1. Hawkins-RPR (92 votes [51.11%])

Percentage of vote: 51.11%

2. AM-SAR (88 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted May 14 2013 - 02:06 PM

i would swear by the am-sar, but now i am a slug man.

because bow ties are cool

#42 Wadelma

Wadelma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted May 15 2013 - 01:04 AM

I prefer AM-SAR.
Works better for me because of my supportive playstyle.

Mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open

Posted Image

#43 Medic_049

Medic_049

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLost in Prosk...need GPS

Posted May 15 2013 - 08:59 AM

I have been using the RPR since unlocking it on my Reaper, but after reading through all of this will give the AM-SAR another go.
My vote however, goes to the RPR.  
My style of play puts me in medium to short range quite often, and this seems like the better of the two for that use.
(Still going to try the AM-SAR again though to see about the higher dps)

Edited by Medic_049, May 15 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#44 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:26 AM

I've been having more success with the RPR lately. I loved the AM-SAR, but just couldn't get it to be reliable.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#45 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 10:39 AM

I have a tendancy to play mid to mid-front with the Reaper, so the semi-auto AM-SAR becomes a bit useless.  When playing back to mid-back, I favor the Slug Rifle over the AM-SAR.  The AM-SAR seems good on paper, but I just can't find a reason to use it.

Posted Image

#46 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 12:22 PM

When I first tried the RPR, it was a pea shooter. I would shoot people with it and it would barely do anything to them. So I switched to the AM-SAR. Now I tried the RPR again yesterday. I don't know if they changed it or what, but the thing is pretty good now, imo. Now if the KE-Sabot was more reliable unscoped, we'd be in business XD

#47 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted May 15 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostMasterFALE, on May 15 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

I've been having more success with the RPR lately. I loved the AM-SAR, but just couldn't get it to be reliable.

This.
Posted Image

#48 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:51 PM

The ke sabot is fine as is, the reaper is strong enough as is. Also, I found that the am sar was good for all ranges, same with the slug

because bow ties are cool

#49 Artonicus

Artonicus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted May 16 2013 - 04:52 PM

Finally unlocked the Slug on my Reaper. Got to say that I'm so hardwired to the AM-SAR that I'm having trouble adjusting.
Been to many CQC combat were the ROF gets me close but no cigar.

#50 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostArtonicus, on May 16 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Finally unlocked the Slug on my Reaper. Got to say that I'm so hardwired to the AM-SAR that I'm having trouble adjusting.
Been to many CQC combat were the ROF gets me close but no cigar.

Do people say "CQC combat" for the same reason people say "CRT tube" or "ATV vehicle_"  I always have trouble reading stuff like that... perhaps I should stop filling in the words for the acronym when I read it.

Posted Image

#51 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:22 AM

Personally, I prefer the AM-SAR.
Posted Image

#52 K1ngslay3r

K1ngslay3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted May 27 2013 - 08:13 AM

Both guns are good, but the Hawkins-RPR is the weapon that suits my needs and style. The RPR seems better on putting more pressure in close to mid range battles when compared to the AM-SAR since its semi auto and has a lower rof.

#53 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 27 2013 - 01:06 PM

Slug rifle is much better for a SS

http://hawkenwiki.ne.../Slug_Rifle.png

Posted Image

#54 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted June 10 2013 - 06:24 AM

How have I not commented_!

Between the two, I voted AM-SAR. I see it as higher skill and reward. The RPR is definitely easier to use and, in that sense, can be more fun.

I'm loving the Slug, though. Good heavens. Also, I think using the AM-SAR made the adjustment to Slug easier than it would have been if I used the RPR constantly.

Edited by FussyBadger, June 10 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#55 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted July 08 2013 - 11:40 AM

please change AM-SR so i don't need to click 20000 times during a match

- lok'tar ogar -

#56 DESMO

DESMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 02:56 PM

3rd highest primary DPS from across the map.  Slug may steal more kills, but AM-SAR will ultimately cause more collective pain to enemy team.  And stupidly good vs battleship, yay_

#57 Dracon5811

Dracon5811

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 07:55 PM

I try not to get close enough for the Hawkins to really shine, and the Am-SAR gets me out of trouble if I mess up.

#58 7th_Genesis

7th_Genesis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Oregon, USA

Posted August 01 2013 - 01:47 AM

I used to use the Hawkins RPR on the Reaper, but ever since the update it overheats way too fast. I doubt I could kill a Technician holding still with the RPR before it overheated.
In the end I decided to switch to the slug rifle. High damage and after you use it for awile your accuracy greatly improves, or you get killed repeatedly...
Posted Image

"The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control... whether we are good or evil."

#59 BioToxiic

BioToxiic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 03:49 PM

i switch back and forth, tho i find the AM-SAR more usefull. sorry for terrible gramar, im typeing with one hand while eat =ing so that i can get back to the game

#60 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 06 2013 - 06:48 AM

AM-SAR has the longer range, which gives you more effective damage on mid range for the reaper. Using the KE-Sabot alone is only good for finishing very low health victims. With the RPR your Sabot is left alone in many situations where a reaper should be helping out. (imho)
With the slug ... i'm not sure. I played it for a while now. The finishing potential is higher. It allows you to take out enemies that are a little higher on health and therefore tend to be more exposed. But you are still miles away from the SS. Aiming is almost the same for SAR and SLUG and good aim is always a good thing in a shooter, eh_ ;)
For close and point blank fights though, the slug looses. Its not really harder to hit, but you get a different playstyle. You have two low rof weapons that enemies just expect to dodge. Hence the SLUG does not create as much pressure as the SAR. Double shooting SLUG and KE is nice. And you also get to use the SLUG to "motivate" your enemy into dodging and wait for him with the KE. But i rarely find any opponent that feels like "under fire" against the SLUG. The SAR can do that somewhat better. Just compare the sounds. It shoots fast needles from a blowpipe, the SLUG has that "boom" and slow fadeout. Everybody knows "he wont fire again in the next fractions of a second.
With SLUG i tend to finish more mechs, but probably get less damage to the other team and i am not as confident on closer range.

I should say that i am drawn to the enemy more than you'd expect from an average reaper, though. If you want to stay on mid range, the slug is a very nice option. The long time between shots is more beneficial there. It gives you more free time between shots, so you can pull of more moves where you need to look somewhere else. I guess it depends a lot on how you play your matches and who you are up against. I am around mmr 1500. I'd expect pros to be more immune to the pressure from the SAR but also to the feeling "i can easily dodge the SLUG". Additionally the aim of high-lvl players should be good enough to miss SLUG shots in duels very rarely. If you find yourself poledancing with scouts and infs a lot (and you dont want to change your tactics) missing one SLUG shot usually leaves you far behind.

Edited by f_error, August 06 2013 - 06:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users