HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: AM-SAR vs Hawkins-RPR (180 member(s) have cast votes)

AM-SAR or Hawkins-RPR

1. Hawkins-RPR (92 votes [51.11%])

Percentage of vote: 51.11%

2. AM-SAR (88 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 09:58 AM

I prefer weapons with a higher damage per hit over higher RoF pretty much as a rule.  I also typically select semi-auto over full-auto weapons in FPS's because the semi's usually offer better accuracy and more flexibility and damage potential, and often-times only require that you simply click faster to fire at similar/higher RoF's than their automatic counterparts without experiencing the same accuracy/heat penalties.

In any sense, 1 shot that hits is usually better than 3 that miss...so I will gravitate towards trying to make fewer mistakes so that I can take more damage off when it counts than to select a weapon that allows me to make more mistakes, but doesn't inflict the damage necessary to get me out alive when I need it to.

It all depends on your playstyle and your risk/reward tolerance.  If you are more risk-averse, than the Hawkins is your bread&butter because it has a fantastic suppressive quality to it and can chew through armor pretty rapidly at close range...but a skilled AMSAR user will be able to outpace your damage output over ALL ranges by comparison...they just will be firing fewer rounds won't have as many opportunities to recover from missing a few shots by comparison to the Hawkins.  The Slug is even further slanted towards not missing shots for greater reward.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the internal tweaking system is being changed in the upcoming patch, I imagine that it is going to profoundly alter the performance on weapons, mechs and damage/RoF/heat across the board.

#62 sandsharkZ

sandsharkZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 02:15 PM

AM-SAR because of the longer range, just have to click fast:)

#63 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 08:18 PM

I looooathe the fast clicking required on the AM-SAR. Anyone have a good recommendation for a mouse click macro or something to sort that out_ I'd appreciate any tips!

#64 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted October 01 2013 - 12:36 AM

You either love or hate AM-SAR, there's no middle ground. I'd hated it for a long time and then one day tried it out and something just clicked :D  about using it and I've been an AM-SAR lover ever since.
Yes, you need to click like mad, but you have far superior control over your heat and it's much more forgiving about missing shots than Slug. AM-SAR still packs a punch if used well.
Give it a chance I'd say.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#65 CyclicSteel

CyclicSteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 05:09 PM

But the RPR looks so cool. How can you not love the two barrels alternating and the magazine sliding up and down. I don't really care if it's a bit worse, it gets my vote for looking way cool and not going put put put like the AM-SAR.

#66 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 04 2014 - 01:46 PM

I MUCH prefer the AM-SAR as it's damage doesn't falloff until 120m (as opposed to the 80m of the RPR), and it already has a very similar base DPS to the RPR, with better accuracy and heat generation. IMO There's actually no reason at all to use the RPR unless you really really hate left clicking. I think people just assume it does more dmg at mid range (false) so that's why they pick it. RPR does more dmg at anything less then 80m and quickly begins to falloff after that, whereas the SAR stays fully effective to 120m and falls off much slower after that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users