HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to Hawken_ How were you treated as a "newbie"_

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Hawken "newbie" friendly_ (176 member(s) have cast votes)

New to the game_ How warm was your welcome_

1. Great game and community, I feel like part of the family! (39 votes [21.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.55%

2. The game is challenging, but players are tolerant of my mistakes and friendly enough. (60 votes [33.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.15%

3. Community seems indifferent, neither loving nor hating newbies. (63 votes [34.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.81%

4. Feels like I'm intruding on someones fun, tolerated but not welcome (13 votes [7.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

5. Fairly clear I'm not welcome here, flamed in chat and targeted on the field (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

6. Change the name from Hawken to Ganken! "Noob" hate is rampant! (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kinzuko

Kinzuko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 10:07 AM

first match... dominated... all the people
Posted Image

#22 foodoman

foodoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 11:37 PM

I've been playing for close to a month now, and I've have to say the community is very mature.  You don't see things like "omg noob!  Stfu and die!"  Very often at all.  People are very chill, and I've started to help out with the new people I meet.  And I'll occasionally give tips to the other team if they're suffering.  I like a challenge.

#23 Brnmatt7

Brnmatt7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSetting a trap for you on the Last Eco map

Posted April 28 2013 - 06:25 PM

First match I got shot the hell up but after a while I started dominating. That is until I run into clans on TeamSpeak.

Posted Image

Check us out @ www.bsb-gaming.com

You can also find me on Raptr

#24 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted April 28 2013 - 06:43 PM

hehe, yeah, its the learning curve plus experienced players XD. Stick with it and it'll get better :)

Edited by ArnieF4440, April 28 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#25 SargeantPepper

SargeantPepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPepperland

Posted April 29 2013 - 12:54 AM

Honestly, I found when I started that almost everyone in forums and in game, the community as a whole, to be quite nice. A mature lot, I would say, which is a refreshing change of pace for a F2P first person shooter.

Community is wonderful, but I would imagine that it has to do with the slightly older demographic for this game.
Posted Image

#26 Countrygal

Countrygal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGermany - Boots City

Posted April 29 2013 - 03:06 AM

I am new to Hawken ( 2 days ) and I am really...really bad. Either the other players ignore me...or they are tolerant enough to say not a word. ;)
Whenever I join a Team Deathmatch I try to give my best and hope that no one will flame me for my bad knowledge and my sometimes-strange-moving *G* ( I hate this button for moving backwards... everytime I hit, I hit Shift too and then I look in totally wrong direction :D )
But I am a learner... and I think everyone was a learner someday and I hope everyone will remember this.
Since I started playing I haven´t noticed a strange word in chat channel. Only once, there was something like "group of noobs...bye" but I can handle this. And I hope I will get better and my sometimes-strange-moves will change into "hell-she-knows-what-to-do-moves"

Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language.  Thanks!

#27 mypa333

mypa333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm new to Hawken , maybe 2 hours of gameplay. I got killedby more experienced players or beginners. I lost and won matches. I don't complain.

If there are people that give you sh*t, just ignore them. They are the noobs.

#28 surgegamer

surgegamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:38 PM

Honestly, coming from many other FPS type games, Hawken was quite easy for me once the basic mechanics were learned (2-3 matches).  Since then I've been top-fragging almost every match i'm in with the CRT-Recruit mech.

As far as mechanics of the game go, there have been a couple matches where the teamwork was amazing, and a couple where I was surrounded by people who, to be blunt, had no clue how to play.  I've clocked probably a little under an hour of gameplay so far (started after C2E2), but I'm looking to try out the other mechs once I gain more credits.  I get the feeling that it will be quite easy to overpower enemy players with a certain loadouts.

#29 irishroy

irishroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:25 AM

tbh, the first matches weren't nice at all.
i asked and asked, nobody answered....
*grmbl*
ignorant high-lvlderps

Posted Image

#30 Countrygal

Countrygal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGermany - Boots City

Posted May 27 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Postirishroy, on May 02 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

tbh, the first matches weren't nice at all.
i asked and asked, nobody answered....
*grmbl*
ignorant high-lvlderps

maybe you should pick a good one, add him as a friend and ask using the friendschat. i think most of the players have minimized the ingame chat or no eye on it.

Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language.  Thanks!

#31 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted May 28 2013 - 12:04 AM

it sometimes depends on the player XD. People like me, however, are willing to help out
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#32 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted May 28 2013 - 05:36 AM

Played for more than a month. Lots of siege games. Came to the conclusion that it was broken but sometimes real good. People on siege servers are very frustrated. They dont bother to give strategy advice they just say aa and leave a noob team *** comment before ragequiting. On Siege advanced servers, things seems better because lot of guys have microphones. Definetely helps with communication. Thanks for all the threads to help others Arnie. I think they're more informative than the new main guide (which is perfect for first time player but a bit too vague for me).

#33 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted May 28 2013 - 06:34 AM

OK, half of me thinks that we all had to learn the game the hard way and getting the fuzzy bunny blown out of your mech every five seconds is what makes you want to learn how to play so that doesn't happen any more. I guess the other half has some sympathy. I know I still get hammered from time to time.

I appreciate that players need time to develop and that's cool. Servers are ranked and match making is getting better at this. It gets on my nerves when people complain about higher level mechs on low ranking team servers. There simply aren't enough servers for everyone at the minute so finding a game if you are 1500 -1600 is difficult sometimes. (You are locked out of the higher rank servers and shouted out of the lower ones) I would suggest that the auto balancing usually sorts out fair teams if there are a couple of higher level players in there. I guess these people have a point in Deathmatch games but not in any of the team games.

The other thing that bugs me is that Mech Level and Server Rank are not the same thing. Having a level 25 mech just means you have played that one mech tirelessly and have managed to level it up. I does not mean that you are any good in it :)

I do though, think that new players should be treated with respect at all times as should anyone. However, today I was told by a new player to "Get the **** of his server!" because I was in a level 14 mech. The problem, as you are all aware, is that usually your server rank plummets when you are levelling up a new mech and so you are forced to play on beginner servers.

What I'm trying to say is respect goes both ways. New players should learn from the more experienced ones and the more experienced players should, of course, set a good example.
Posted Image

#34 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 09 2013 - 05:26 AM

I'd like to teach newbs who arent active on forums that FLYING OR HOVERING IN MID FIGHT IS BAD, SORRY FOR caps
Posted Image

#35 Ivyory

Ivyory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTangoing with your teammates

Posted June 09 2013 - 05:57 AM

Honestly, there wasn't all too much talking in the first place. If there was, most of it would be positive, and if it was negative, it would mostly just be directed to the players own team, rather then a specific player, or the opposite team. In fact, the only negative comment that I've had directed to me was "How the fuzzy bunny did you kill me_" and when I answered with "Leet Hax" he just laughed it off. I've had far worse times in new game. Dying a lot wasn't fun, but that feeling when you get top of the leader board for the first time is worth all the pain.
~Ivy~
Player of Hawken, avatar of Minecraft, hunter of unicorns.
Reach me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IvyGoesPewPew
Check out my channel: http://www.youtube.c...r/IvyGoesGaming

#36 plons

plons

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 06:27 AM

i got many tips how to play when i started ,,,,,,

#37 plons

plons

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostWondrz, on June 09 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'd like to teach newbs who arent active on forums that FLYING OR HOVERING IN MID FIGHT IS BAD, SORRY FOR caps
lol let them fly......easy to kill

#38 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted June 09 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostIvyory, on June 09 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Dying a lot wasn't fun, but that feeling when you get top of the leader board for the first time is worth all the pain.

I remember my first 1st in Deathmatch... it was well worth the pain ;)
Posted Image

#39 Ivyory

Ivyory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTangoing with your teammates

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostPastorius, on June 09 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostIvyory, on June 09 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Dying a lot wasn't fun, but that feeling when you get top of the leader board for the first time is worth all the pain.

I remember my first 1st in Deathmatch... it was well worth the pain ;)
Death Match scared the fuzzy bunny outta me the first time I played it. I jumped every time I saw someone.
~Ivy~
Player of Hawken, avatar of Minecraft, hunter of unicorns.
Reach me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IvyGoesPewPew
Check out my channel: http://www.youtube.c...r/IvyGoesGaming

#40 Fureur

Fureur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted June 09 2013 - 12:04 PM

As Silly FPS Noobie, I make loose my team very often and Skilled players didn t bashed me in hell. Very chilled people indeed.

Edited by Fureur, June 09 2013 - 12:37 PM.

A la recherche d'une trace de vie intelligente sur terre...

Posted Image

http://www.pinterest.com/carbone3d/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users