HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to Hawken_ How were you treated as a "newbie"_

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Hawken "newbie" friendly_ (176 member(s) have cast votes)

New to the game_ How warm was your welcome_

1. Great game and community, I feel like part of the family! (39 votes [21.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.55%

2. The game is challenging, but players are tolerant of my mistakes and friendly enough. (60 votes [33.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.15%

3. Community seems indifferent, neither loving nor hating newbies. (63 votes [34.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.81%

4. Feels like I'm intruding on someones fun, tolerated but not welcome (13 votes [7.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

5. Fairly clear I'm not welcome here, flamed in chat and targeted on the field (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

6. Change the name from Hawken to Ganken! "Noob" hate is rampant! (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted July 09 2013 - 09:42 AM

Newbies should always be welcome.

#42 Creepy_Hitchhiker

Creepy_Hitchhiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 07:41 AM

When I've start play Hawken, I was welcomed very well. I've never saw in game texts like "GET OUT NOOB!!!" adressed to me or anybody else. Also forum was (and is) very helpfull.
Posted Image

#43 Chancellor

Chancellor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSlimin in ya gurl lyke it's muh buziness.

Posted July 31 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm reading all of your stories, and the only thought going through my head is how big of an elitist piece of sh-it I am to new players. :c

I need to be nicer.

#44 MsNorthernStar

MsNorthernStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUS/RUS

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, you are Chancellor, and not just to new players.

Bring back Mayhem servers!

when Evil returns... so shall we.

"When Diplomacy Fails"
http://vr-gaming.org

#45 Chancellor

Chancellor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSlimin in ya gurl lyke it's muh buziness.

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostMsNothernStar, on July 31 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Yeah, you are Chancellor, and not just to new players.
Don't you only play on 20-Man Missile Assault servers_

Get awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

#46 7th_Genesis

7th_Genesis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Oregon, USA

Posted August 01 2013 - 02:44 AM

I started during Closed Beta #2. I am usually very good at whatever game I am playing but I will admit that Hawkens controls took some getting used too.
Not many people used mics then, except Miles_Deathridge and one other person (Can't remember their name) so during matches I would always try to verbally point out enemies or help direct the team. I always tried to offer good advice but we would always get one person on the team just told me to "Shut Up, YOUR ANNOYING!!!"
I was always like WTF!_! I am here trying to help the team and you tell me to shut up_ I can't understand why they won't just mute me instead of telling me to shut up.

I am not a bad player either. I am almost always in the Top 3. I try to help anyone when they have questions.

If you've played a match with me you know I usually curse regularly (Trying to cut Back) and Do my best to win the match.

My advice to new people though, DO NOT JOIN THE 20 PLAYER MAYHEM SERVERS. It drives me nuts when people join those servers and don't even do anything or hang back way to far. If you are not going to Play-To-WIN!!! Stick with the lower tier servers.
Posted Image

"The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control... whether we are good or evil."

#47 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted August 01 2013 - 07:14 AM

i is caterpillar :3
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#48 ThroneOfThunder

ThroneOfThunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted August 18 2013 - 01:49 AM

No one really seemed to care, people just moved on which is very surprising :o i never actually chatted ot spoke in game though, i was expecting swears (CoD anyone_ xD) for how bad i was playing. After i started playing some moderate level of gameplay, when i made mistakes or wanted to ask about something, the community was very friendly, i loved it :)
Posted Image

#49 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hey ThroneOfThunder, did you manage to find better connected servers last time_ ;)

#50 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted September 18 2013 - 09:01 AM

I used 2 days to get used to the game, and nobody seemed to really care about my faults. I am not directly pro in the game, but if you see me trying to be the leader you really should follow me. I know what I am doing.
I`ll fix it later.

#51 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted September 18 2013 - 09:02 AM

View Postropefish, on August 01 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

i is caterpillar :3
THE GRAMMAR. IT HAS TO BE DESTROYED.
I`ll fix it later.

#52 Szei

Szei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 11:53 AM

Really quiet community in-game. It wasn't welcoming or hostile, but honestly that's great considering most FPS games are hostile, or at the very least have annoying kids yelling on mics.

#53 Joebeans

Joebeans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted September 29 2013 - 04:14 AM

When I started I got stomped big time and stopped playing for a couple of months. Then some of my friends started to pay Hawken.

With this new party system I was able to ensure we played as a team together. Witch was something the old hawken was missing big time.

Now hawken is much more access able for new players and team...

Anyway I love hawken XD
Posted Image

Website:www.gamersplatoon.com                                                                                      Teamspeak:ts3.gamersplatoon.com

#54 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted November 06 2013 - 04:06 PM

i was always here

ALWAYS

O__O
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#55 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted November 07 2013 - 08:50 AM

My first weekend  playing hawken (three of them ago. such memories, so nostolgia)
I played with another new player in a Hawken-centric voip server.
We had a good time playing together, there was another guy in there getting on his pokemon fix.
People shuffled in and out, some poked into our channel to say they don't play much Hawken anymore.
I made the mistake of asking some kid about the Hawken competetive scene, and if there was any sort of organized ladder play, or divisional league.
I got a five minute earful of grandiose nonsense by an individual who clearly had never played in any organized competetive gaming leagues whatsoever. He made it abundantly plain he was considered pretty much the cutting edge of Hawken competetive play.
Also they didn't need any new members thank you very much.
Memorable impression there. Delusional factor...just, wow.
Knowing full well which way the wind blows, me and the other new guy wtf'd outta there.

Shortly after that (the next day) I found a good bunch of players that were really helpful in explaining the finer points of the game and understanding how to approach movement in this unique game, and in a way that wasn't at all condescending.

Having some players that have also actually placed  in comp level league standings really helps to cut to the important bits I was after in the first place.

now I'm on my way up

Posted Image

#56 Zhoyzu

Zhoyzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 12:06 PM

i dont much think people liked me when i was new. i was playing with the intel hd graphics and the lag was so bad i basically contributed nothing.

I have noticed now that im close to the top that its some of the newer people just out of noobdom that are the flamers and ragers. i had noticed this myself and remembered when i was at that level. yelling at people in siege to get organized. now i realize that imba maps make siege waste of time and i just play a mech king of the hill at that point not caring the outcome.. all the top players dont flame or really care. we're all here for the mechs and the destruction and the fun.

#57 KaijuJaeger

KaijuJaeger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Location"For Evil to Triumph" all it takes is for "Good Men to do Nothing"

Posted November 07 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostCountrygal, on April 29 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

I am new to Hawken ( 2 days ) and I am really...really bad. Either the other players ignore me...or they are tolerant enough to say not a word. ;)
Whenever I join a Team Deathmatch I try to give my best and hope that no one will flame me for my bad knowledge and my sometimes-strange-moving *G* ( I hate this button for moving backwards... everytime I hit, I hit Shift too and then I look in totally wrong direction :D )
But I am a learner... and I think everyone was a learner someday and I hope everyone will remember this.
Since I started playing I haven´t noticed a strange word in chat channel. Only once, there was something like "group of noobs...bye" but I can handle this. And I hope I will get better and my sometimes-strange-moves will change into "hell-she-knows-what-to-do-moves"

that's all we can all do is keep at it and play with a demeanor that is becoming of your nature, even though some players have the K<D<R syndrome in their small set minds first & foremost, I find helpful players are there and the Narcissistic ones too take them as it comes what may you will improve with time and don't be worried about whats said like water off a ducks back

Edited by KaijuJaeger, November 07 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image

Looking for an organised HAWKEN clan_ visit

http://TAW.net

#58 CaptainFrog

CaptainFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNeo America

Posted November 08 2013 - 02:53 AM

Playing the game for two days and here's how I see it. I'm having fun, but I haven't really encountered the community, as it were. Only rarely do folks talk in game and they're usually helpful when they do. After the game, everyone is pretty chill. Maybe cuz if you're a jerk and you wind up on the jerk-victim's team, things get tense.

If I'm getting stomped, it's easy to see when it's me sucking and when it's lack of teamwork (still sometimes me). I've been enjoying learning the game.

#59 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 04:04 PM

Started on the first day of open beta since I didn't win a lottery for CA and CB. I got treated like c rap by older members and newcomers mostly didn't care.

All I need is a working VOIP mute and chat ignore buttons.

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.
- Obligatory PC spec boasting, 'cause I'm rich.
- Shameless self-promotion links.
- Sneak a peak into every second stream voiceover ever.

#60 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 20 2014 - 02:54 PM

I just mow people over and then critique.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users