HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to Hawken_ How were you treated as a "newbie"_

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Hawken "newbie" friendly_ (176 member(s) have cast votes)

New to the game_ How warm was your welcome_

1. Great game and community, I feel like part of the family! (39 votes [21.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.55%

2. The game is challenging, but players are tolerant of my mistakes and friendly enough. (60 votes [33.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.15%

3. Community seems indifferent, neither loving nor hating newbies. (63 votes [34.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.81%

4. Feels like I'm intruding on someones fun, tolerated but not welcome (13 votes [7.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

5. Fairly clear I'm not welcome here, flamed in chat and targeted on the field (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

6. Change the name from Hawken to Ganken! "Noob" hate is rampant! (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Whackjood

Whackjood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 03:46 PM

So far I've encountered friendly feedback from other players. But I don't know how much of this is people being generally friendly to a newbie or me starting off with the technician.

#62 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on March 20 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

I just mow people over and then critique.

Posted Image

#63 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:36 PM

:D

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#64 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:44 PM

It seems to me people are experiencing entirely different spectrums. Most of the games I play, people are quiet and may or may not do the objective. In a few games, where people were actually talking, they weren't raging or anything, just chatting, and now on the forums I'm hearing about people saying anyone is good has an OP mech and that there's a lot of spamming, which I have yet to see.

#65 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:47 PM

like a fuzzy bunny goddess
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#66 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostXyXly, on March 20 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

people saying anyone is good has an OP mech and that there's a lot of spamming, which I have yet to see.

No no no. A good player makes the mech OP.

There was someone/something that spammed a bunch of threads with links and text to who knows where. They are pretty annoying, but when I see them I just hit the big res X in the top right hand corner and problem solved!

#67 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 21 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on March 20 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

people saying anyone is good has an OP mech and that there's a lot of spamming, which I have yet to see.

There was someone/something that spammed a bunch of threads with links and text to who knows where. They are pretty annoying, but when I see them I just hit the big res X in the top right hand corner and problem solved!

I see it now, it's pretty big

#68 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 21 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hm.. OP You you say_

Posted Image
JK

Actually, I just had my ass kicked by a new player. He has been only playing for about 4 weeks but has tons of experience in FPS. By good, I mean good. This is coming from someone who has played every day for a year and seen just about all top players.

You never know who you may fight and who it may be. It is the pilot that makes the mech strong.

Also, I love newbies, but only if they want to learn. I am more than happy to give them things to work on and get better. Its fun teaching. :)

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#69 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on March 21 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Hm.. OP You you say_

Posted Image
JK

Actually, I just had my ass kicked by a new player. He has been only playing for about 4 weeks but has tons of experience in FPS. By good, I mean good. This is coming from someone who has played every day for a year and seen just about all top players.

You never know who you may fight and who it may be. It is the pilot that makes the mech strong.

Also, I love newbies, but only if they want to learn. I am more than happy to give them things to work on and get better. Its fun teaching. :)

No, I meant that the mech isn't OP. A good player makes a mech seem OP. I see that you do agree with me! lol

Yeah! That guy is incredibly good. I have never once in all the games I have played seen someone that good that soon in a game. Some of his tactics need to be refined, but once they are he will be practicably unbeatable by anyone who isn't at least 2400 mmr.

#70 Evermillion

Evermillion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:42 PM

i've had it quite good actualy, i might have had to start a conversation a little bit but i actualy got praised once as well, the community is accepting towards new people if you find the good apples between the bad ones, toxic players dont tend to talk a lot and usualy flame around the words "noob" or "gtfo" but if you ignore em and dont talk back to them they'll quickly stop in most cases

i wonder if the people from my first match ever find this post and remember me, i would love to play with them again
CODE_Evermillion: Activated
Targets Found: Activating Weapon Systems
Weapon Systems: Online
Weapon Systems: Calibrated
Prepare for Combat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users