HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to Hawken_ How were you treated as a "newbie"_

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Hawken "newbie" friendly_ (176 member(s) have cast votes)

New to the game_ How warm was your welcome_

1. Great game and community, I feel like part of the family! (39 votes [21.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.55%

2. The game is challenging, but players are tolerant of my mistakes and friendly enough. (60 votes [33.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.15%

3. Community seems indifferent, neither loving nor hating newbies. (63 votes [34.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.81%

4. Feels like I'm intruding on someones fun, tolerated but not welcome (13 votes [7.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

5. Fairly clear I'm not welcome here, flamed in chat and targeted on the field (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

6. Change the name from Hawken to Ganken! "Noob" hate is rampant! (3 votes [1.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MercVet

MercVet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just curious, how do you find the player base reacts to you as a new player_  Did anyone welcome you to the game and help explain how it works when you got in trouble_   Did you feel like a easy gank target for every experienced player out there_  Is Hawkens message to new players  "come on in, join the fun"  or "give us your cash and GTFO NOOB!!!"_
Hawken is still in beta and has great potential, but is the community helping or hurting the cause of drawing and maintaining membership_  Give us your thoughts.

Edited by MercVet, February 10 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#2 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:33 AM

Mowed over, over and over and over and over and over...

Posted Image

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:42 AM

Well, the matchmaking, as it stands, doesn't do newbies any help. However, the community should be welcoming of newbies, in general.

I'm also going to scoop AJK and point out the silliness of a multiple-choice poll with mutually-exclusive options.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:02 AM

Voted for everything.

But people couldn't care less when I was lvl1. They just played
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#5 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 10 2013 - 12:13 PM

The majority of my experience has been relatively positive.
Far more people in this community are more intellectual making this far friendlier than other online gaming experiences I've had.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#6 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted February 14 2013 - 10:31 PM

IMO, you'll end up being stomped when you start XD, but people are more than willing to help out, so it's not like you're on your own.

I started playing during closed beta 1, so at the time, people were relatively new to the game, excluding a few from the Alpha's who already knew how to play XD. It wasn't a stomp at that time though

Just be active on the forums and you should be good too

EDIT: AND USE FORUM SEARCH!!!!

Edited by ArnieF4440, February 14 2013 - 11:19 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#7 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 14 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on February 14 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

IMO, you'll end up being stomped when you start XD, but people are more than willing to help out, so it's not like you're on your own.

I started playing during closed beta 1, so at the time, people were relatively new to the game, excluding a few from the Alpha's who already knew how to play XD. It wasn't a stomp at that time though

I remember joining in the Alpha 2. I was a bit of a n00b back then, but people were quite cordial and polite, so It wasn't bad at all.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#8 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on February 14 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I remember joining in the Alpha 2. I was a bit of a n00b back then, but people were quite cordial and polite, so It wasn't bad at all.

touche~!

One slight revision, its one of the main reasons people get pissed off at newbies on the forums XD

EDIT: AND USE FORUM SEARCH!!!!

Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#9 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted February 18 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well... I think the veteran community has tolerated me.I have sometimes nudged in on what they have been doing trying to be like: "Hey look it's that tman guy!"
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#10 Adler

Adler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSuborbital.

Posted February 23 2013 - 09:24 AM

All those who have opposed my badassery are no longer in possession of at least 3 of their vital organs. Women grow facial hair in response to my infallible rebuttals, which I then un-grow for them via pure force of will 'cause hairy chicks are weird.

Basically, there may have been a few people who resisted me at first. I grew on them.

I grew on them like some crazy, acidic, carnivorous fungi.

Edited by Adler, February 23 2013 - 09:26 AM.

The flame of change never burns unopposed.

#11 Pluton_1

Pluton_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted February 23 2013 - 11:43 AM

When I first started, I think I was in with a bunch of other new players because we used the chat box a lot for tips and advice. Most chat I see now is "losers" "my team sucks" etc etc. Dunno...I like to offer gameplay advice but people always seem to take it the wrong way so I tend to keep my mouth shut.

One piece of advice to new players, if someone on your team is trying to act as leader, it's probably best to listen to him. A rag tag group of rambos will lose to teamwork 9 times out of 10.

#12 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 23 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on February 10 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Mowed over, over and over and over and over and over...

This. but they were nice about it. I try be nice to noobs and give them advice on the basics but sometimes I come across as a bit of a fuzzy bunny. My habit of doing the shift s dance next to them when they are repairing in silly places doesn't help my reputation much either.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#13 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted February 23 2013 - 08:19 PM

I got made fun of for using a gamepad.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#14 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostXuande, on February 23 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I got made fun of for using a gamepad.
Lol ... Don't take us too seriously about that ... Quite a few of us are PC + keyboard and mouse supremacists ... Myself included ... Just go what works with you and dont tell pc gamers that XD
Posted Image

#15 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostPluton_1, on February 23 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

One piece of advice to new players, if someone on your team is trying to act as leader, it's probably best to listen to him. A rag tag group of rambos will lose to teamwork 9 times out of 10.
This. ^^^^

I was in a MA match last night.  Someone on my side wimped out because the opposing team had four+ scouts.

Teamwork = we still won by a decent amount.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#16 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:18 PM

[edited] namecalling stuff

Edited by necroq, February 24 2013 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Pluton_1

Pluton_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted February 24 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postnecroq, on February 24 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

i collect them btw. this is always something special and funny sometimes. i think everyone who played eve online know what i mean.
i got only 2 atm:
Posted Image
Posted Image

"someone get that **** sniper necroq!"

That's what is on my team chat when I played against you. Yup you are pretty beastly, took down most of my team single handedly.

#18 Kaelek

Kaelek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Not Being Able To Play Hawken

Posted March 16 2013 - 09:41 AM

First of all, I thought overall the community was very tolerant and accepting of new players compared to almost all FPS type games. Veteran players helped when I needed it even for very basic tasks. Obviously I ran into a bad apple or two, but compared to other FPS games it was probably the best experience I had ever had regarding to being a new player.   How you need to become one with your mech, very Zen. When I started there was no ranking system and of course I got steam rolled quite a few times but that is or used to be at least, very common in FPS games. Adapting to the game play was slow at first, but once I got the hang of it and I learned more strategies (From more experienced players I might add) for how the mech moves and handles and how to use the weapons better it became easier and easier to adapt. I think this game has an excellent community, which is very tolerant of others and less skill players. The game play is superb, but there are still many issues regarding balance, skill ratings, lack of maps. But it is still in beta so it is expected for these problems will exist and with such a small staff I think the devs are doing an incredible job here. I really hope that it is a success and it is one of very few games that I have thought had the potential to become legendary and a classic over time. Although it is a long shot, I believe the game definitely has the potential. :)
fuzzy bunny

#19 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 20 2013 - 05:43 AM

I've played for a week or two now.

In game: The pleasant side of indifferent. The vast majority of the time, there's no communication. Nothing typed, nothing spoken, etc. When there is communication, it's generally more positive and/or helpful than negative and/or derogatory.

On the forums: An extension of the in-game communication. Since that's all there is, it's an overall positive and, as a new player, I feel far more welcomed than I have in a great many other games.

#20 Phantasmid

Phantasmid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 01:58 AM

I probably shouldn't have used matchmaking, or something.  Nearly every match I played yesterday through this morning I saw nothing but belittling the other team while winning and insulting one's own team while losing, without any meaningful communication.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users