HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

CAPTURE THE FLAG

Announcement Community Event Forum Game Patch

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:11 AM

HELLO guys im not sure if someone have mentioned this topic cause im new to the forum
but if no i would like to pressent you my capture the flag mode that will work defrently
that the usual mod in games like cod.

1)THE MAP: the map must me a large one with the space to host 24 players
2)THE OBJECTIVE: the objective {going to enemies base and capturing the flag seems booring }
so i have thought a way to make things more interesting.
first the map will have the MAIN base that has the enemie flag. this base will have an energy barier
second the map will have 4 secondery objectives something like an aa on shiege that you must get
in order to bring down the barier.my oppinion is that this objective is a big eu generator
that supplys the energy barier and the second objective is a main server that controls that barier
and keeps it up for the base defence.two eu generators and two main server will be at the map.
3)GAMEPLAY:each team must hurry and get controll of one eu generator and one main server
so that they can activate the barier.with this methode no camping will be done cause simply
if all players focus in defending the 2 side objectives and wont try to get the third the game will be at
stalemate if you dont destroy the barier you won'tbe able to get to the enemies base and get their flag
.so that forces you to go agressive.
4)VARIATION:this game mode will use every mechs potentiall to the fullest
from the mobile A class that can penetrate defence provide suppresive fire or assasinate
key  targets.to C CLASS that can use the tankyness and the objective controll defence
to secure the objective after a succesfull attack.
5)STRATEGIE AND TEAMWORK :because of the 12 players the focus points and the combinations
that can be created voise comunication will be a must and a verry good and funny expirience.
6)COMPETITIVE GAME:this mode in my oppinion will be a paradice to clan wars and future
competitive activitys

TY FOR READING THIS TOPIC
LEAVE YOUR FEEDBACK ON THIS TOPIC
EVERY OPINION IS RESPECTABLE
SOZ 4 BAD ENGLISH AND SOME CAPS XD
IF YU GUYS WANT TO SEE THIS MODE IN HAWKEN THEN LETS MAKE IT
POPULAR.

Edited by toPOULAKItsiou, March 21 2013 - 08:15 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:17 AM

I would rather have just normal CTF then your proposed CTF. Also I don't believe the map has to be massive to be fun. Just make the flag touch return and the game-type would be fun. If the map was the size of Origin or Uptown it would be large enough I believe. If the map becomes to large it is hard to find the carrier as well as other players.

#3 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 09:32 AM

With how slow all the mechs are and how long it takes to get back to the fight I don't know if CTF would be very viable in Hawken.  It would boil down to "the first team to grab the flag wins" because once you get past the other teams defenses, you're home free because they'll never be able to catch up to you unless you put some sort of movement penalty on the flag carrier.
Posted Image

#4 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 21 2013 - 09:36 AM

I would LOVE to see CTF make it to Hawken. A slow flag carrier speed (or a rule such as 'only C class mechs can carry the flag') along with instant touch returns would be a good place to start... Nothing is as simple and enjoyable in FPS games as a good game of CTF - the OP idea sounds like it is complicating/attemting to change something that isn't broken.

Edited by Aims, March 21 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#5 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostDracoslayer16, on March 21 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

With how slow all the mechs are and how long it takes to get back to the fight I don't know if CTF would be very viable in Hawken.  It would boil down to "the first team to grab the flag wins" because once you get past the other teams defenses, you're home free because they'll never be able to catch up to you unless you put some sort of movement penalty on the flag carrier.

The mechs do move slower than I would like, but don't be so sure you couldn't chase down a mech. When a player tries to flee you can often lead your shots to get an escaping player. Another aspect to consider is some mechs would be more viable as defenders and other runners. Good luck escaping a sharpshooter. CTF has worked out in other mech games such as Mech Assault(Xbox live).

View PostAims, on March 21 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I would LOVE to see CTF make it to Hawken. A slow flag carrier speed (or a rule such as 'only C class mechs can carry the flag') along with instant touch returns would be a good place to start... Nothing is as simple and enjoyable in FPS games as a good game of CTF - the OP idea sounds like it is complicating/attemting to change something that isn't broken.

I strongly disagree with any sort of flag carrier slow or limiting certain mechs to be able to carry. All flag penalties do is make it less desirable to play the objective and restricts options for the player(leads to stale game play). I concur completely about the simplicity of CTF makes it quite enjoyable though.

#6 JAmmrock

JAmmrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:37 AM

+1 to a CTF!

But if they add a CTF it needs to be kept simple. The more complex you make an FPS game the fewer people will play it (mostly out of frustration to playing with n00bs). CTF by itself is a blast, no need for a major change.

Though in the mech world a flag doesn't make a lot of sense as an objective. Capturing enemy blueprints would work. Stored on a ... flag drive ;) get it :)

Anyway, CTF would be awesome.

Edited by JAmmrock, March 21 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#7 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:51 AM

i like you oppinions guys
TRUE a mechs movement speed is not so good for a large map. I agree here.
What i want to  point out is that if  CTF gets to be like that
you won't have to dash from the enemies base all the way  to yours
you can stay at the objectives and get ppl to help you
so theese objective act like pit stops.
I also agree and respect the oppinions of you guys who want a simple CTF
i think that its cool to have it go with the usual way
but i wanted it  to be more complicated and more competitive
but thats just me.
Posted Image

#8 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted March 21 2013 - 03:19 PM

I really want some form of CTF in Hawken. Mechs like the EOC Infiltrator, Scout, 'Zerker, Reaper, and Raider would make great carriers and  can you imagine turreted C's protecting the flag or spaced along the carrying route_

ZO My Gaaawd!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#9 Watashi

Watashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 05:38 PM

+1 4 CTF!!!

#10 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think I replied to a post about CTF somewhere.  Though with the current maps it could get boring fast, since they're small, except for Bazaar maybe.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#11 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 21 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostAnalysis, on March 21 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostDracoslayer16, on March 21 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

The mechs do move slower than I would like, but don't be so sure you couldn't chase down a mech. When a player tries to flee you can often lead your shots to get an escaping player. Another aspect to consider is some mechs would be more viable as defenders and other runners. Good luck escaping a sharpshooter. CTF has worked out in other mech games such as Mech Assault(Xbox live).

View PostAims, on March 21 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I strongly disagree with any sort of flag carrier slow or limiting certain mechs to be able to carry. All flag penalties do is make it less desirable to play the objective and restricts options for the player(leads to stale game play). I concur completely about the simplicity of CTF makes it quite enjoyable though.

Yeah in other games I would agree and you have made good points that re-affirm my agreement haha. Do you think it would be viable to simply limit the boost capabilities of the objective carrier then_

You have already pointed out in your posts how gametypes like CTF can create so much diversity between roles and the emphasis on teamwork they enduce. Please give us a CTF (or even an Assault style gametype)!

#12 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:17 PM

Any CTF mode in Hawken needs to be handled carefully. It needs to be relatively straightforward, be more about combat than travel time (because of how impossible chasing is when your target is travelling away from you at the highest possible speed in the game, with a head start, and with teammates covering them while they run

Which is why I made a thread about fixing those issues (https://community.pl...__hl__ctf-esque if anyone wants to see what I specifically said) The solution is merely to force fights, in the simplest way possible. One flag, caps occur at the enemy base, just like in football/rugby/etc. Passing is totally cool whenever. The "flag" takes up your secondary and fires like a grenade launcher and is initially positioned right smack dab in the middle.
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#13 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostBeemann, on March 21 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Any CTF mode in Hawken needs to be handled carefully. It needs to be relatively straightforward, be more about combat than travel time (because of how impossible chasing is when your target is travelling away from you at the highest possible speed in the game, with a head start, and with teammates covering them while they run

Which is why I made a thread about fixing those issues (https://community.pl...__hl__ctf-esque if anyone wants to see what I specifically said) The solution is merely to force fights, in the simplest way possible. One flag, caps occur at the enemy base, just like in football/rugby/etc. Passing is totally cool whenever. The "flag" takes up your secondary and fires like a grenade launcher and is initially positioned right smack dab in the middle.
Sounds very similar to Unreal Tournament 2004's Bombing Run mode.  It was basically Football but with a bomb you had to take to the enemy base.  You could lock-on to friendlies and fire the bomb at them to "pass" the ball to them and dying made you drop the ball for anyone to pick up (fumble).
Posted Image

#14 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 22 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostDracoslayer16, on March 22 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Sounds very similar to Unreal Tournament 2004's Bombing Run mode.  It was basically Football but with a bomb you had to take to the enemy base.  You could lock-on to friendlies and fire the bomb at them to "pass" the ball to them and dying made you drop the ball for anyone to pick up (fumble).
Yeah I didn't play much UT, so the bombing run comparisons (there were a few in the other thread too) made me look it up and it seemed alright to me
I'd definitely rather have the passing be aim based though, and I think we've got a much more complimentary movement system once we smooth out those rough edges

It would also take very different maps for it to play out right. Origin would just be gross to try to move through what with all those chokepoints and how long it takes to go through any alternate routes (and how much more restrictive those routes are)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#15 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 22 2013 - 01:41 AM

Yeah that style of "Flag" sounds great to me, Beeman. It turns it into much more of an Assault kind of game in regards to taking a neutral objective (bomb) and arming it in the enemies base to detonate and score.

Like Counter Strike and Halo, the ability to disarm the bomb once armed in your base (and potentially posess it after the disarm) would be a cool addition too.

I have always said that this style of objective would work better for Hawken too :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Event, Forum, Game, Patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users