HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Assault vs CR-T Recruit

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Blentech_Blender

Blentech_Blender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCentre du Québec

Posted March 27 2013 - 03:41 AM

In my opinion there should be small variation in stat within each mech class.

EX: the Assault should be slightly faster and tougher than the CRT. the SS could be slightly slower but tougher etc.....
the grenadier should have better resistance to explosive, maybe the rocketer should be slightly faster than the other C class etc....
Same thing with the A class. So that when you use a reaper and a beserker that they don't feel like your playing the same mech with different weapon.

That would make every mech unique in there own right.

It would be also great to have the stat of your mech display in the garage. So that you can see the impact of the upgrade and optimization.

Edited by Blentech_Blender, March 27 2013 - 03:44 AM.

It's Hawken smoke don't breathe this.

#22 Blentech_Blender

Blentech_Blender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCentre du Québec

Posted March 27 2013 - 03:44 AM

In my opinion there should be small variation in stat within each mech class.

EX: the Assault should be slightly faster and tougher than the CRT. the SS could be slightly slower but tougher etc.....
the grenadier should have better resistance to explosive, maybe the rocketer should be slightly faster than the other C class etc....
Same thing with the A class. So that when you use a reaper and a beserker that they don't feel like your playing the same mech with different weapon.

That would make every mech unique in there own right.

It would be also great to have the stat of your mech display in the garage. So that you can see the impact of the upgrade and optimization.
It's Hawken smoke don't breathe this.

#23 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:31 AM

CR-T is the basic starter mech, yes.
The Assault is, at present, statistically the same as the CR-T.

This is where they converge from each other, so follow me on this.
The Assault is-and this is speculation- intended to entice new players to move outside their comfort zone and buy other mecha.  A smart move, it worked on me, and it should work on new players.  It is because it was so close in play style that I bought it.

I currently utilize the Brommens as one of my main mecha, and I have never looked back upon using the CR-T.  Yes I like that the internals help anyone and everyone, but I prefer not to use it.  Without the "Brand (Spankin') New" internals, I feel more confident in my abilities.  It feels professional, and that illusion makes all the difference in the world...
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#24 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostFrouste, on March 27 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

CR-T is the basic starter mech, yes.
The Assault is, at present, statistically the same as the CR-T.

This is where they converge from each other, so follow me on this.
The Assault is-and this is speculation- intended to entice new players to move outside their comfort zone and buy other mecha.  A smart move, it worked on me, and it should work on new players.  It is because it was so close in play style that I bought it.

I currently utilize the Brommens as one of my main mecha, and I have never looked back upon using the CR-T.  Yes I like that the internals help anyone and everyone, but I prefer not to use it.  Without the "Brand (Spankin') New" internals, I feel more confident in my abilities.  It feels professional, and that illusion makes all the difference in the world...
It's not "so close" in playstyle, it's the same mech
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#25 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostBeemann, on March 27 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I lol'ed. The earlier explanation of providing a "create another mech" as you can with other classes is the only one that remotely makes sense. If they would have made more CRTs available for purchase, surely people would throw a fit if subsequent CRTs don't have the newbie internals.

#26 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostFussyBadger, on March 27 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

View PostBeemann, on March 27 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I lol'ed. The earlier explanation of providing a "create another mech" as you can with other classes is the only one that remotely makes sense. If they would have made more CRTs available for purchase, surely people would throw a fit if subsequent CRTs don't have the newbie internals.

^Beemann:  The confidence that comes with using the Assault makes it feel different, it shows in my rather proud defense of the Assault.  I even bought it for the looks, honest!

^FussyBadger:  You've got a point right there.  Plus it is the starter, so they had to make a second model that played, technically, the same, but looked different.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#27 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:24 PM

Adding a descriptor to the CRT and/or Assault to say, "These are essentially the same!" likely would not alleviate the issue. Someone who reads would have already seen that by glancing over the in-game available information. Same primary and secondary weapon, same ability, same weight class should imply as much.

Then again, just because something makes sense logically doesn't mean human behavior follows suit. Oh lordy, does my job prove that.

#28 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:27 PM

Remind me, guys - what are you arguing about_

Posted Image

#29 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:32 PM

Who's arguing_ There's not much to be said between the two mechs beyond considering the question: Why does the Assault class exist_

At least, that's the only interesting part of the discussion to me.

#30 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostFussyBadger, on March 27 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Why does the Assault class exist_

At least, that's the only interesting part of the discussion to me.

The Assault is intended to entice new players to move outside their comfort zone and buy other mecha.
At least, that's how I see it...

#31 CommanderWindhover

CommanderWindhover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGracemeria, Emmeria, Anea

Posted March 29 2013 - 09:28 PM

As it is we can just blame the fact that the game is in beta and the game still needs tweaking. The ability to buy more C-RT mechs would be a fun idea, then changing assault would be a viable idea. The problem with changing the Fred as it is now is that the Fred as it is now is the perfect starter mech. Optimized for distance and close range combat, it is a veritable jack of all trades. My idea is to make assault a more customizable Fred. Have the addons offer a better risk and reward statistically, have the secondary weapon start off as the smc or Vulcan for newcomers who don't want to bother leveling their Fred, as silly as that sounds. If not that, then at least make it more visible that the assault is simply a snowclone of the Fred.

This is Commander Windhover of the 15th Squadron. The enemy is expanding its field of attack. Stay alert.

- Daniel "Windhover" Pollini, Ace Combat 6

You and I are opposite sides of the same coin. When we face each other we can finally see our true selves. There may be a resemblance, but we never  face the same direction. - "Solo Wing" Pixy, Ace Combat Zero

#32 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 30 2013 - 04:22 AM

The Assault is intended to entice new players to move outside their comfort zone and buy other mecha.

At least, that's how I see it...
I know we're speculating so it's just a fun exercise, but I wonder if that really is the case. "Come on in, the water is just fine!" I can see it, though there is the big risk of pissing someone off who is expecting a different feel and, instead, just gets a different look. Cheaper than buying replacement body parts, though!

#33 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 12:47 PM

The whole point of the Assault is to give free players an option to get rid of their TV head while still retaining the same mech loadout.  Originally the TV head was intended to encourage people to spend money on visual changes to make their mech look better.  The Assault is an option to change their visuals without having the spend cash and by the time someone can afford an assault with free play they would likely be close to 25 on the CRT.  So they give the assault the vulcan early to avoid all the "now I have to start all over again to unlock the Vulcan!"
Posted Image

#34 CommanderWindhover

CommanderWindhover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGracemeria, Emmeria, Anea

Posted March 30 2013 - 01:05 PM

I suppose... But if that were the case, why not just make the assault head buyable with credits_ That makes more sense to me.

This is Commander Windhover of the 15th Squadron. The enemy is expanding its field of attack. Stay alert.

- Daniel "Windhover" Pollini, Ace Combat 6

You and I are opposite sides of the same coin. When we face each other we can finally see our true selves. There may be a resemblance, but we never  face the same direction. - "Solo Wing" Pixy, Ace Combat Zero

#35 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sound case Dracoslayer16, I haven't been lead astray by my Brommens.  I love its existence and that it forces you to get good without the "Brand New" internals.

Allowing the Brommens parts to be purchased with HC on the CR-T might go against their policy so far...

#36 sanspants

sanspants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:38 AM

I made the mistake of buying the Assault. And now, I'm stubborn and use it, like, all the time. If I had known it was the Giant Oven without internals that only gave bonuses, I'd have spent my coin on other stuff. >.<

Let the Buyer Beware. :(

#37 Raithius

Raithius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostDracoslayer16, on March 30 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

The whole point of the Assault is to give free players an option to get rid of their TV head while still retaining the same mech loadout.

I lol'd. But yea, I just bought the Assault as my second. Expected it to "feel" different but it wasnt. However i was glad to have the TV gone.

#38 eaxe

eaxe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:45 AM

I always though the assault was made so you could fill the Fred role in competitions without having the unique internals.
A tournament-legal cr-t basically.
Posted Image

#39 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:31 PM

There's a simple fix to all this...

Make the CR-T Recruit purchasable without the starter internals.
Change the secondary on the Assault to the Grenade Launcher.
Change the primaries order of unlocks from the Recruit's.
Possibly change the prestige to the Heat Cannon.

Problem solved :D

#40 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted May 06 2013 - 02:06 PM

View Postm3talc0re, on May 06 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

There's a simple fix to all this...

Make the CR-T Recruit purchasable without the starter internals.
Change the secondary on the Assault to the Grenade Launcher.
Change the primaries order of unlocks from the Recruit's.
Possibly change the prestige to the Heat Cannon.

Problem solved :D
Easier fix
Just rename the Assault to the CRT Assault, and maybe change the weapon order back to normal, then stop putting it on Free Trial rotation
PROBLEM SOLVED
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users