HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Paying for the same thing multiple times is not cool

Game Website Community Beta

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Daemonicus

Daemonicus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:13 PM

Alright so I bought some stuff in the body shop for my CRT mech. I had to pay real money for meteor credits because there is no option to get the stuff in the body shop with hawken credits. I had already realized that all of the available parts were from other mechs of the same type, and I thought that was a little cheap and lazy to charge money without putting forth any additional effort in creating new and original parts, but I still liked the idea of making a custom mech, and I figured that if the parts were from other mechs of the same type I should be able to use the parts on them as well. As I've come to find out after attempting to customize a different mech of the same type, I'll have to purchase the same exact parts again to use them for the other mechs!

This just seems to me like a rip off! It's not only the body shop though, it goes for every other customization item as well. However I will let the other items slide a little bit because at least they are available with hawken credits.

The main point I'd like to make is I know the developer's deserve to make some money, but charging multiple times for the exact same content is taking it too far. I can't think of any other game that has done it like this, and I'm sad to see it in Hawken. I think the legitimacy of this deserves to be discussed by the community and I'll appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Edited by Daemonicus, April 06 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#2 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, purchaseables aren't account wide at the moment. They are working on account wide inventory, and they tested that with one of the valentines/chinese NY camos, but again its a WIP. IMO, things like camos will be account wide when its implemented, but body parts are a different matter ...
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#3 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, last I heard only camos will be account wide. IIRC, body parts aren't that expensive, so I don't really see it as a big deal. :P

edit: the prices for a full new look are: 662 for an A-class, 720 for a B-class, and 849 for a C-class. I do think C-classes may be a little expensive, but I think as we get more variety prices will go down. There are a lot more mechs in the future, which means a lot more customization as well. :D It would be great to see some original mech parts in the shop as well :)

Edited by Guiotine, April 06 2013 - 07:56 PM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#4 SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:42 PM

Look at it this way:

You own 3 different cars for example, and you buy a single body kit ( wings, hood, spoiler etc ); you can only install those parts on one of your cars, they aren't designed to fit every make and model.

it's the same with swapping body parts on your mechs- you are buying parts to customize one mech, those parts are only for that mech, not all your other ones of the same class....

Besides, paint jobs and body parts ( and repair drones ) are the only things you have to pay for in this game ( at present )- it's a way of keeping a cash flow for the development team who are working tirelessly ( Y U NO FIX HIT DETECTION_! ) on this free to play game for us...

#5 MartyFriedman

MartyFriedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Washington, US

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:45 PM

Think of it this way, each mech is different on the inside, just because the same outside pieces can fit over everything inside doesn't mean it's a perfect fit.  There might need to be a couple more exhaust ports or some scraping done to fit the cockpit and engine in just right, and unless the arms and legs are changed then there's even more work that has to be done on the chassis.  Same goes for the internals, they have to have some work done on them to make sure everything is compatible with the inner machinery.
Posted Image

#6 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 06 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm somewhat confused as to how this will work at the moment seeing as I have the Black camo on about 5 diffierent mechs. If singular camos are made account wide, I do hope there will be some kind of reimbersal.

#7 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted April 06 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostAims, on April 06 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I'm somewhat confused as to how this will work at the moment seeing as I have the Black camo on about 5 diffierent mechs. If singular camos are made account wide, I do hope there will be some kind of reimbersal.

Yeah same here. I've bought the same camo on a few of my mechs and wouldn't mind getting reimbursed. Maybe make repair drones account-wide too_

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#8 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Zone, Harmont

Posted April 06 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostSuicideNeil, on April 06 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Look at it this way:

You own 3 different cars for example, and you buy a single body kit ( wings, hood, spoiler etc ); you can only install those parts on one of your cars, they aren't designed to fit every make and model.

it's the same with swapping body parts on your mechs- you are buying parts to customize one mech, those parts are only for that mech, not all your other ones of the same class....
apparently you haven't met redneck mechanics, they can modify and salvage parts to fit on another car it wasn't meant for

actually a lot of mechanics can, I just know some crazy redneck mechanics

Edited by Null_Wing, April 06 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Professional Freelance Bum
When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#9 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 07 2013 - 01:39 AM

It's pretty dumb

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#10 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 01:57 AM

What also sucks is no way to sell crappy parts or get your money back for them. You have to figure what you just bought is fuzzy bunny and just take the wallet hit. I'm speaking to you Internals...

#11 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 07 2013 - 01:59 AM

I would pay for account wide parts bundles.

Because as a semi-intelligent animal who regards himself as sentient, I appreciate being foold by the illusion of value.

Edited by ReachH, April 07 2013 - 02:00 AM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#12 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 07 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostDaemonicus, on April 06 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Alright so I bought some stuff in the body shop for my CRT mech. I had to pay real money for meteor credits because there is no option to get the stuff in the body shop with hawken credits. I had already realized that all of the available parts were from other mechs of the same type, and I thought that was a little cheap and lazy to charge money without putting forth any additional effort in creating new and original parts, but I still liked the idea of making a custom mech, and I figured that if the parts were from other mechs of the same type I should be able to use the parts on them as well. As I've come to find out after attempting to customize a different mech of the same type, I'll have to purchase the same exact parts again to use them for the other mechs!

This just seems to me like a rip off! It's not only the body shop though, it goes for every other customization item as well. However I will let the other items slide a little bit because at least they are available with hawken credits.

The main point I'd like to make is I know the developer's deserve to make some money, but charging multiple times for the exact same content is taking it too far. I can't think of any other game that has done it like this, and I'm sad to see it in Hawken. I think the legitimacy of this deserves to be discussed by the community and I'll appreciate all the feedback I can get.

First time I played Hawken I saw this and messaged ADH / MTR. I thought it steep for per mech unlocks, rather a per class at worst.

They replied swiftly and stated that cosmetic items will always be charged in this way as they offer no real advantage in game.

The problem is that inventories are per mech in the Game Code, so you have to unlock each item individually for each mech. Until that changes I don't think this will either :D
Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#13 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm just glad the only things they charge real $$ for are cosmetics. I don't mind if I have to buy the same parts for each mech (mostly because I don't care about the looks of the mech). They need to make money some how.

Even when they make account wide purchases, the cost will be more than it is now. Sure there will probably be a little discount when purchasing for all mechs, but it will still be more than it is for an individual mech. As it should be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Website, Community, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users