HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Is Hawken Balanced_

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Is hawken currently a "mostly" balanced game_ (258 member(s) have cast votes)

Is hawken currently a "mostly" balanced game_

1. Yes (119 votes [46.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.12%

2. Voted No (139 votes [53.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostYellerBill, on May 04 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

@WarlordZ

Nah, the AR and Vulcan are balanced now. The SMC still feels underpowered though.
Meh... I thought about it, and maybe it's just the crazy tech healing putting me off on autos.  It's hard to feel like you're doing something when you pour steady damage into a steadily-refilling health bar.

It's funny that you name the SMC though, it feels like the best of the bunch to me.

Edited by WarlordZ, May 04 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#22 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:41 AM

I think the SS is still out of whack. I do not play it (yet) so I can't gripe too hard but there sure are a lot of them on Bazaar, Facility, and Frontline. Seeing more than a couple Techs or SS's in a match is sort of a buzz-kill imo. I see 4 or 5 Sharpshooters in a match pretty regularly these days - often there are a couple Reapers tossed in for good measure. (Not that the number of people playing a mech is the sole determiner of balance - more that on certain maps certain mechs pop up over and over again as the 'go-to' obvious choice.)

Personally I enjoyed the game more when SharpShooter was difficult to use and there was no Tech. Now the focus is on hitscan damage and healing that hitscan damage.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#23 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted May 05 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm going to go with no BUT I do think it's getting there. There are still a lot of problem areas as stated by AJK.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#24 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 08:46 PM

Tbh most things just need small tweaks. Nothing super outstanding aside from tech and C class ability.

Hence, I would say yes, the game is mostly balanced.

I see a lot of people wanting huge nerf bats to hit certain aspects of the game. That simply isn't necessary at this point aside from tech.

I hope they continue to make small tweaks rather than reacting to the latest qq thread, as that does noting but swing the balance in the opposite direction.

#25 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted June 03 2013 - 09:58 PM

From my experience, there is so much to consider. If we are talking about competitive play in team game modes, which grouping of mechs is the most viable_ There are so many combinations and each mech has its own unique advantage/disadvantage.

If you are talking about 1v1 - are the mechs balanced - I would say no. And they shouldn't be. I hope that this game develops into something more tactical and strategic. Which mech do you launch to help your team the most_ Which mech are you best at piloting_

Balance is an over-complex issue that cannot be solved with numbers. It has to be solved with experience and wisdom.

At present, the game is NOT balanced, but it is getting closer - though it veered off the path a bit for the tech intro. I am confident the devs will tighten it. Slowly but surely.
Call me Nos.

#26 Faktopus

Faktopus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:07 PM

From what limited action I've seen, I'd say not even close.  Every experience I've had leans toward "the lighter team wins".  I'm not sure if it's because of their increased mobility, or their (barely) lighter armor, but in my bruiser, 1 on 1 with any light isn't smart unless I'm at full health with my shield ready.

I don't know how they get away with a <200 point deficit in their armor, and yet are so much faster, with the same weapons as mediums and heavies.  If it's made to be agile and scout/harass enemies, quit giving it the ability to torch heavies in seconds.  Make them tough to play so that there aren't four lights on one side dominating with 3-4/1 KDRs.

MWO has this same exact problem, lights are the king, and in a 1v1 match with anything a half decent light pilot will come out on top.

#27 vaeritas

vaeritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 03:08 AM

This seems like an appropriate place for my feedback I want to voice to the devs, instead of making a new topic.

I'm a frequent player, pretty boss with the ss, and good at topping scoreboards with the tech (isn't everyone_)

So I bought a scout yesterday and HELLS BELLS! Once you learn to plant the tow after the dodges, and manage the big heat spikes the big flak produces, this thing is a godless killing machine. I went silly high k/d's playing last night and actually felt bad chasing down c classes, which certainly need some love.

In short, scouts are bonkers relative to other classes right now. On topic, I can't agree hawken is balanced. Though it was alot of fun. But felt unfair.

#28 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on May 01 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

By definition Hawken will never achieve balance until all mechs have equal stats, weapons, and abilities. Some people think this is nitpicking, but I am pointing out that this is merely a perception and the truth is that this will never happen in the course of the game.

That's why one pound of feathers will always be lighter than one pound of lead...

Anyway, we're all playing scout now. It's balanced.

Edited by M4st0d0n, June 06 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#29 Chince_Bucket

Chince_Bucket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostWarlordZ, on May 04 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostYellerBill, on May 04 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

@WarlordZ

Nah, the AR and Vulcan are balanced now. The SMC still feels underpowered though.
Meh... I thought about it, and maybe it's just the crazy tech healing putting me off on autos.  It's hard to feel like you're doing something when you pour steady damage into a steadily-refilling health bar.

It's funny that you name the SMC though, it feels like the best of the bunch to me.
SMC is my favourite of those 3 for sure

#30 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostM4st0d0n, on June 06 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

By definition Hawken will never achieve balance until all mechs have equal stats, weapons, and abilities. Some people think this is nitpicking, but I am pointing out that this is merely a perception and the truth is that this will never happen in the course of the game.

That's why one pound of feathers will always be lighter than one pound of lead...

I'd rather be hit in the head by a pound of feathers though :)

#31 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 06 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostRedVan, on June 06 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Exerted pressure needs to be patched then.

Edited by M4st0d0n, June 06 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#32 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostM4st0d0n, on June 06 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

View PostRedVan, on June 06 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Exerted pressure needs to be patched then.

Be easier to just define the feathers as having a much larger surface area

#33 Rahh_Vende

Rahh_Vende

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationPirun rantasaunassa Tuonenvirran varrella, ylimmillä lauteilla. Alasti prkl!

Posted June 26 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostAnalysis, on May 02 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

The Heat is broken so the game can't be balanced. I'm sure some other weapons could use a few tweaks, but they are no where near as broken as the Heat.

Oh, I remember you too! You're the dude who complains that can't dodge UNcharged HEAT shots. HEAT just got the biggest nerf ever, and it's STILL broken_ :D You'll only be satisfied if the weapon is removed from the game, eh_ Maybe but a little GiNORM0US58273 boost to your favourite weapons while at it_ Which one is it, BTW_ Slug+SABOT or FLAK+TOW_

Edited by Rahh_Vende, June 26 2013 - 08:16 AM.

Posted Image

#34 Taerkasten

Taerkasten

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted June 26 2013 - 09:47 AM

Heat was broken some time ago, now it's fine, cause at how the heat are now the devs prioritize direct impact against indirect impact, the eoc to me seems a litte broken, corsair cause like 210 but it have a considerable delay between shoots and eoc not.

¡Heat FTW! Well heat won in NBA. :)

Posted Image

|-Intel DH67CL-|-i3-2130 3.4Ghz-|-8 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blu-|-ATI Radeon 6750HD 1GB-|

#35 Rahh_Vende

Rahh_Vende

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationPirun rantasaunassa Tuonenvirran varrella, ylimmillä lauteilla. Alasti prkl!

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostTaerkasten, on June 26 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

now it's fine, cause at how the heat are now the devs prioritize direct impact against indirect impact

You do know that they DECREASED the direct impact damage_ That, in my mind, does not exactly prioritize for it. They decreased RoF and splash damage as well, so it's not prioritizing anything but rather bluntly nerfing EVERYTHING. Thank god projectile velocity remains untouched. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that to equal EMP too..
Posted Image

#36 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted June 28 2013 - 10:35 AM

Completely balanced_ No, but let me explain: just because you don't do too well on a certain mech does not mean that it's automatically garbage. It could simply mean that it's a much harder mech to use and proper play requires much more practice in getting angled shots, timing, positioning, and taking advantages of your primary strengths rather than blindly chasing red dots on the radar.

Take the Grenadier for example. A lot of people complain about how OP it is because of the high DPS, stunlock, "spammability", etc. On the other side of the spectrum, the people who have heard of this or had the unfortunate experience of going against a good Grenadier player are usually the ones who will complain about how "weak" it is later on after they spend their precious HC on a new one. There's a reason that there's a 'difficulty' bar in the mech description and it's not just for show.

So, going back to the original question: Is Hawken balanced_ Not completely but it is close. Some mechs like the EOC Infiltrator and the Flak Scout are just easier to learn in comparison to some other mechs because of their agility. However, faced against the "right" opponent, they can still be stomped. In the end, it's the player that makes the difference, not just the mech. As much as I'm always tempted to smash something every time I try to level my Rocketeer and Bruiser, I also try to keep in mind that I've met some really good players who can handle them very well and it's all about learning how to bring out that potential.

Voted: Yes.

Edited by Alastor_Crow, June 28 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

#37 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 28 2013 - 01:32 PM

Bumping this thread, that's not a thing I would have done to insist on the fact that Hawken is balanced...

#38 R3CLAIMED

R3CLAIMED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 05:48 PM

Gamers need to be balanced first, in order to fully balance a game.

If there's one thing I've learned about FPS games it's that any loadout can be dangrous in the right hands. By the same token any loadout can be useless in the wrong hands.

Go talk to Demize from DICE about balancing.
I will eat your family.

#39 Impact420

Impact420

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs Colorado

Posted July 11 2013 - 06:35 AM

Seems to be some people for whatever reason, having a higher mech, or a certain kind of mech can get away with pretty much 1 shotting. I know I have put together a few builds that I consider OP as S***

But for a game in beta it's pretty good, imagine it will be a lot better on offical release.

Edited by Impact420, July 11 2013 - 06:39 AM.

Impact420

#40 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 05 2013 - 02:08 PM

When would it be balanced_ How would you measure_
When you feel that you are pwning enough, based on the skill that you decided you have_
If somebody destroys you in a SS, Heatscout etc ..., buy that mech, bring it to max and see if you can even the odds.
Accept reality and learn to have fun anyway. I just got flattened in a high(er) lvl dm like 1000:1. Killed him once, felt like the man. ;) Same guy joined some low-lvl tdm and decided every match alone. Still had fun. Then two techs decided to be "smart" and become mindless healbots in the same team. Still had fun. Didnt have a crash or kick in about 2 hours for the first time. THAT was enjoyable. Later the game got boring, so i quit and made food.

Hawken isnt nearly as balanced as other games. It could be a lot better, but that would need a lot of changes and additional features. Most of them by forcefully directing the players on what to do. The game can never be balanced as a "slave" to your personal desires and playstyles. However, it COULD be mostly balanced in giving us challenges for team modes, with a good rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock-... setup and by addressing the typical orga and awareness problems. But so far it seems, the devs are more than overloaded with work. When the next patch comes, just enjoy as much as possible. If it would be adjusted perfectly to your liking, making you the no 1 king kong on the servers, would you be happy_ You'd feel big and strong for a while and then bored and empty again.

There is nothing wrong with an unbalanced or broken game. The only thing wrong, is your decision that its something important and you HAVE to be good at it.
The elite is by definition a SMALL group. There is NO need to be a part of it and chances are, it will not make you happy for real. Its just the greed of your ego.
Instead of becoming an unbeatable pro at hawken (or any other game), become a pro at enjoying your time.
Ask some older gamers what they remember about their games five or ten years ago. (or think about it, if you are old enough already)
You always happily remember the fun times and they boost you the most. Why_ Its the same as with holidays. You dont compare them with others, hence you never feel weaker.

Hawken has a great vision and delivers enjoyable action. Aside from that its an ugly mutant, with technical sickness and a playground so small that behind every corner a 1337-ripper can be lurking. Dont embarrass yourself by taking all this so serious. Squeeze the juice out of it as much as you can and laugh about the rest. There is nothing more boring as the end of a challenge. Enjoy the hunger while you have it.

(Dont wanna break the discussion about balance. But i feel like this everytime someone gives so much importance to a stupid video game that doesnt make them happy.)

Edited by f_error, August 05 2013 - 02:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users