HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

So you think the Technician is over powered....

Game Project Video Update

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Finger_Blaster3

Finger_Blaster3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 05:53 AM

So the Technician has been catching allot of flak lately and I'd like to take a shot at trying to figure this thing out once and for all, so i did an in depth review of the tech and also shared some tips and tricks.
Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Finger_Blaster3, May 18 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#2 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 06:04 AM

5 mins in and i disagree with you on  everything, gona expand later

#3 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 06:13 AM

It's not so much that I think it's OP cause I've seen it get wrecked pretty well. It just that it cleans up in points and assists and often ranks first on the scoreboard in matches if held by a reasonably competent person. Not like it's not doing its job but that just seems weighted.

Also health seems to play such a big role in this game and so a mech that has fantastic avenues for healing appears to be very potent.

#4 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted May 18 2013 - 06:33 AM

I disagree with everything you said except that the mech is pretty well balanced and that the points it gets from healing could be adjusted slightly. A technician shouldn't be bouncing between players and should never swap to its offensive heal beam unless you and your partner are above 80% health with 1 person left. You want to pick a target(preferably B or C type, A if necessary) that is actually good at killing to focus heal.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#5 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostExeon, on May 18 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

I disagree with everything you said except that the mech is pretty well balanced and that the points it gets from healing could be adjusted slightly. A technician shouldn't be bouncing between players and should never swap to its offensive heal beam unless you and your partner are above 80% health with 1 person left. You want to pick a target(preferably B or C type, A if necessary) that is actually good at killing to focus heal.

I agree that techs get too many points too easily from healing. However I disagree with you on what a tech should do or not. What is the role of the technician_ In my opinion, it is "a mech that keeps his team alive".

I have seen many tech failing at this by simply focusing on one mech that stays at 100% while the rest of the team dies because enemies are smart enough to choose not healed mechs. Also, swapping to deconstruct mode is sometime the best way to help. For example, when a fast enemy like a scout has to be sandwiched to prevent him from hide and shooting.

So, back to what I agree with you: points from healing problem. I don't think it is only a question of decreasing amount gained, but most importantly rewarding the techs that keeps his team alive. Right now, the problem is that any tech should heal anything that is not at 100% hp. In my opinion, tech should heal teammate that are in immediate danger.

What is immediate danger in hawken: Mechs that have been shot in the last few seconds and mechs that has been criticaly injured, healed and did not died. Yep, I think tech should get less points from healing, but get bonus points when those two thing happen.

#6 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted May 18 2013 - 10:05 AM

The problem many people have with the Tech isn't that it is OP, but rather that it creates a negative experience overall.

Also if you're looking for a good offensive internal, heatsinks should serve you well since you don't really need the damage but you do heat up a lot. ;)

Edited by Guiotine, May 18 2013 - 10:06 AM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#7 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted May 18 2013 - 10:31 AM

My only problem with the Tech is that it gets near-continuous self-healing, making it unfun to fight. Experience from healing could be adjusted slightly too.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#8 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostMrWilpon, on May 18 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I have seen many tech failing at this by simply focusing on one mech that stays at 100% while the rest of the team dies because enemies are smart enough to choose not healed mechs. Also, swapping to deconstruct mode is sometime the best way to help. For example, when a fast enemy like a scout has to be sandwiched to prevent him from hide and shooting.

Deconstruction is the worst damaging secondary in the game many times over, keeping your allies alive is far more beneficial since they are designed to deal damage. That short time swapping to decon mode and actually using it could (and most likely will) kill your teammate as they are relying on your back up in a 2v2+ situation. Any tech that goes battle mode I will immediately leave behind, your pretty much as good as a hologram at that point, which sucks because I play MA and that generally means we lose that base.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#9 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostSylhiri, on May 18 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Deconstruction is the worst damaging secondary in the game many times over, keeping your allies alive is far more beneficial since they are designed to deal damage. That short time swapping to decon mode and actually using it could (and most likely will) kill your teammate as they are relying on your back up in a 2v2+ situation. Any tech that goes battle mode I will immediately leave behind, your pretty much as good as a hologram at that point, which sucks because I play MA and that generally means we lose that base.

Like I said, in some situation deconstruct + detox is the best, here is an example

Posted Image

Edited by MrWilpon, May 18 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#10 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted May 18 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostMrWilpon, on May 18 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostSylhiri, on May 18 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Like I said, in some situation deconstruct + detox is the best, here is an example

Posted Image

Agreed. But its very situational and you need to figure out when its best to use it or keep healing team mates. Now im probably going to be yelled at again by my clan mates for insisting that the Tech can do some offence at times.

#11 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted May 18 2013 - 12:36 PM

kiter makes main mistake, never try to fight outnumbered

#12 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

That's a 2v1 situation. Since the "kiter" was still going after the 2nd 1st frame then that shows how much lack of experience he has. I would like to also say with two damaging mechs, they could have finished the job by frame two. In an equal situation with any other mech combination then that would happen anyway except that the "kiter" wouldn't be able to kill both of you due to the healing beam, with other combinations then he could at least take one of you out. In a 1v1 or 2v2+ then you're ****ed if you try that stunt.

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on May 18 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Agreed. But its very situational and you need to figure out when its best to use it or keep healing team mates. Now im probably going to be yelled at again by my clan mates for insisting that the Tech can do some offence at times.

The X number of times you got me killed because of that will ensure that I ditch your soon to be corpse if that happens again during scrims. :3

Edit: Had to make one part more clear.

Edited by Sylhiri, May 18 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#13 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostSylhiri, on May 18 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's a 2v1 situation. Since the "kiter" was still going after the 2nd 1st frame then that shows how much lack of experience he has. I would like to also say with two damaging mechs, they could have finished the job by frame two. In an equal situation with any other mech combination then that would happen anyway except that the "kiter" wouldn't be able to kill both of you due to the healing beam, with other combinations then he could at least take one of you out. In a 1v1 or 2v2+ then you're ****ed if you try that stunt.

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on May 18 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

The X number of times you got me killed because of that will ensure that I ditch your soon to be corpse if that happens again during scrims. :3

Edit: Had to make one part more clear.

My point was not about who is experienced or not, it was an example of when tech offensive is a good solution.

#14 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostMrWilpon, on May 18 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

My point was not about who is experienced or not, it was an example of when tech offensive is a good solution.

Tell me how much that situation happens any why it's effective to take two players x amount of time to kill one player with the technician which switched from healing to decon beam to deal the remaining 5-10% damage when you could easily use your primary to do the job. Also the fact that your not close enough to help your ally if another player interrupts your tag session and you'd need to switch back to healing to help him. Your just putting yourself and your teammate in a situation that is detrimental just so you can deal the last shot and get a kill on your scoreboard (i'm guessing that the blue guy is actually firing at the red guy). Also depending on the weapon and mech type I'm pretty sure he would overheat or lose fuel before you even finish your flanking move.

Edited by Sylhiri, May 18 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#15 Immortal009

Immortal009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMy Own Little World...

Posted May 18 2013 - 04:21 PM

Remove the special ability, remove beam stacking, and make the sticky beam less viable at super close ranges.

#16 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostSylhiri, on May 18 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Tell me how much that situation happens any why it's effective to take two players x amount of time to kill one player with the technician which switched from healing to decon beam to deal the remaining 5-10% damage when you could easily use your primary to do the job. Also the fact that your not close enough to help your ally if another player interrupts your tag session and you'd need to switch back to healing to help him. Your just putting yourself and your teammate in a situation that is detrimental just so you can deal the last shot and get a kill on your scoreboard (i'm guessing that the blue guy is actually firing at the red guy). Also depending on the weapon and mech type I'm pretty sure he would overheat or lose fuel before you even finish your flanking move.

View PostSylhiri, on May 18 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

It happens each time a single mech has captured a silo in MA and he wants to buy some time while his team arrives. In the 1900+ ranked games I am playing, it happens at least once a game.

#17 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted May 18 2013 - 06:59 PM

Your cartoons assume that your opponents are stupid.

Technician needs to be removed and completely redesigned. The repair torch is an unimaginative copy of a weapon that doesn't fit in this game.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#18 _A1R_

_A1R_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 03:07 AM

Tech is made for in-game trolling in all possible ways. :) And all this threads just confrim that Tech is successful in it.

#19 Mothanos

Mothanos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 07:40 AM

I realy like the way the Tech works, been away for a good while and recently returned and tried out this class.
The only situation where a Tech is OP is when its 2v1, or when 2 groups duke it out in range where a Tech can heal up the most damaged mech fast to get them back in combat, as where the other team dont have Tech's doing the same.

The Tech dies like a fly...o direct TOW hit and a few shots and its game over.
2 mechs hitting the tech is a 1 second affair, it dies instandly even when the green beam is in full effect.

In terms of score...they should receive credit for kills as they alow their target to stay in the front line a little longer, each kill my target makes i assisted him with,
And yes i often end up as top rank, but that also means i did a good job keeping you guys active in combat, so it works both ways.
If they nerf the Tech and the credit the tech receives then there is a high chanse no1 will play it anymore.
I mean why should you heal instead of doing damage when you get fuzzy bunny rewards for it _

There are some Mechs out there that realy needs a little love, no doubt about it, but asking for a nerf is not warranted at this point.

#20 Sd108

Sd108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 10:18 AM

Guys, I´m level 14 with my Technician and I found the deconstruction beam actually very good weapon. I finished so many enemy mechs in one to one just with the combination of deconstruction beam+hawkins while flying here and there :D However I use my optimization points mostly on OFFENSE :) I shut down so many mechs in 1/1 fight, doesn´t matter which class. It is actually great fun to finish those slow brawlers with a technician :))

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Project, Video, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users