HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Nerf the bruiser!!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:07 AM

Go use a bruiser in an advanced MMR game and let us know how it goes.  kthxbai

#22 Flapjacks

Flapjacks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationKnee-deep in A mech pieces

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on May 31 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostFlapjacks, on May 31 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on May 31 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

May I ask, what's your MMR ranking_

Also, the Vulcan is not the highest DPS weapon in the game. That title goes to the Mini-Flak.

1.5k or something_

And I said Highest AUTOMATIC DPS weapon
So you're a completely average player at best. And how long have you been playing_

Protip: Miniflak is automatic.

A couple months. Maybe I just suck against bruisers.
Flapjacks

"Boomshooter" - Lvl 14 Raider
"Chunk-chunk" - Lvl 13 Reaper
"Puny Mortal" - Lvl 15 Brawler

#23 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostFlapjacks, on May 31 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Yes, I think you do.

I don't want to be intentionally mean, but honestly, Bruisers are widely regarded as one of the weakest mechs in the game, if not the weakest. I don't know a single skilled veteran who couldn't take down a Bruiser in their sleep, unless they were using a Bruiser themselves.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#24 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:30 AM

Me for example ... I suck against scouts. In any mech I'm sitting in (even a scout) I'm losing against another Scout. Don't worry we will learn how to beat Bruisers/Scouts :D

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#25 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:40 AM

bruiser sucks
/thread
Posted Image
pm me for hire :)

#26 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostFakeName, on May 31 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Me for example ... I suck against scouts. In any mech I'm sitting in (even a scout) I'm losing against another Scout. Don't worry we will learn how to beat Bruisers/Scouts :D
You say you suck against Scouts, but Scouts are among the absolute most powerful mechs in the game. They are highly favored among the top tier players due to their superiority.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#27 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, 'Murica

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:58 AM

No, no, no...and no. The Brusier is bad enough as it is and you think it needs a nerf_ Your MMR says everything dude, no offense.

#28 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on May 31 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yes, I think you do.

I don't want to be intentionally mean, but honestly, Bruisers are widely regarded as one of the weakest mechs in the game, if not the weakest. I don't know a single skilled veteran who couldn't take down a Bruiser in their sleep, unless they were using a Bruiser themselves.
Well, we can't say that Bruiser is WEAK by itself. Just It's skill cap is way too f*ckung high. "High risk/low reward" as i said before.

Posted Image

#29 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yes, I think you do.

Well, we can't say that Bruiser is WEAK by itself. Just It's skill cap is way too f*ckung high. "High risk/low reward" as i said before.
Considering it uses the Hellfires as a secondary, it actually has a very solid moderately low skill cap. Even if you were to perform near flawlessly with the Bruiser, you could still be outplayed by most mechs who are not playing nearly as optimally.

AJK is right

#30 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:39 PM

There's always room to improve. Bruisers still maintain some elements of fire superiority they used to have pre-beta that allow them to power through newer players.

To add to this point:

Hellfire missiles are an evolutionary dead end as far as player skill is concerned. The nature of the automatic tracking makes learning the hellfire missile skill set extremely detrimental to players who may want to move onto other mechs that don't employ aim assisted weapons.

This, in turn, usually means that the players using Hellfires will abuse its long range support capabilities and chip away at you while you traverse open terrain. This also means once you close the gap, you immediately have an edge over them, as most hellfire users have no idea how to aim them without lock on. You can abuse this crutch to your advantage.

Because both bruiser weapons thrive in cover-free open terrain, hug cover as much as possible, close to close range where hellfire locks fail miserably, and kite the bruiser by dodging in and out of cover to nullify the effects of the Vulcan. I recommend raiders, scouts, and infiltrators, mainly due to their close quarters burst superiority. You'll find it easiest killing bruisers on these three mechs (though reapers and sharpshooters will also have plenty of success if used correctly).

In summary: Avoid open terrain, hug cover, close to cqc distance, and dodge into cover while using mechs with high burst weapons.

Edited by Conquistador, May 31 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Posted Image

#31 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:47 PM

The moment I saw the thread title I knew what to expect in the comments.

#32 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on May 31 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yes, I think you do.

Considering it uses the Hellfires as a secondary, it actually has a very solid moderately low skill cap. Even if you were to perform near flawlessly with the Bruiser, you could still be outplayed by most mechs who are not playing nearly as optimally.
I guess you're right as well. There are two sides of it IMO: the novice side and the oldtimer side. But In general you can say that Bruiser requiers the more skill the more skilled your opponents become. It's pretty much like that for all mechs but Bruiser is a special case.

Edited by TheVulong, May 31 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image

#33 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

I guess you're right as well. There are two sides of it IMO: the novice side and the oldtimer side. But In general you can say that Bruiser requiers the more skill the more skilled your opponents become.
Well, requiring more skill if you're opponent is more skilled is kind of applicable for any mech...

AJK is right

#34 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on May 31 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

I guess you're right as well. There are two sides of it IMO: the novice side and the oldtimer side. But In general you can say that Bruiser requiers the more skill the more skilled your opponents become.
Well, requiring more skill if you're opponent is more skilled is kind of applicable for any mech...
Yep, i've already added this point.

It's pretty much like that for all mechs but Bruiser is a special case.

Edit: It's like if your oponent's skill should be raised to the second power for Bruiser to stay competetive

Edited by TheVulong, May 31 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted May 31 2013 - 01:11 PM

"Nerf the Bruiser" ROFLOL.
Look at his name OP, that's what the Bruiser does to you.
He will only "bruise" or scratch your paintjob.
The Bruiser is one of the weakest mechs in Hawken.

Edited by Onebullit, June 03 2013 - 01:47 AM.

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#36 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted May 31 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't even... ... ...try learning to dodge at the last instant before they hit you. You can dodge them that way without cover. I find a diagonal dodge towards the source of the missiles and 40-60 degrees to either side to be the most effective for breaking the lock.

#37 SirMoranSebastian

SirMoranSebastian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 01:55 PM

When playing in a bruiser, the only reliable strategy I can ever find is to drop the default turrets in convenient places such as near where I am healing and on high ground, and spam hellfires from the air with lock on and without lock on the ground unless it is really convenient.

Play it right and you can rack up kills against heavier targets easily (other bruisers etc.)but I always have difficulty  against small targets like scouts and reapers because they easily go outside my range and attempt to kill me from all angles while the rest of their heavier mech team rushes in to promptly blast my face off.

That's my general experience of it anyway, though bruisers can be a total pain when they are right in your face unless you happen to have a strong close quarter weapon, even a ripper equipped tech like my own can tear a bruiser apart before it can even bring me below 200 health. Might possibly need a buff to balance it out a bit more.

#38 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Edit: It's like if your oponent's skill should be raised to the second power for Bruiser to stay competetive
But you can't, because the skill/effort you can put into it caps out way too low... which is why the Bruiser becomes more and more rare as you get into higher end games. Hellfires have very little player input on the part of the shooter, and adding sustained fire weapons to that basically creates a black hole of under-powered worthlessness.
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#39 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostBeemann, on May 31 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on May 31 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

But you can't, because the skill/effort you can put into it caps out way too low... which is why the Bruiser becomes more and more rare as you get into higher end games. Hellfires have very little player input on the part of the shooter, and adding sustained fire weapons to that basically creates a black hole of under-powered worthlessness.
I'd say their usefulness also drops exponentially the more people are involved in a fight, due to their control issues.

AJK is right

#40 thatguythellama

thatguythellama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationOrbiting alpha centauri A, thinking about moving to B, just for a scenery change

Posted May 31 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostFlapjacks, on May 31 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Does anyone else agree that the bruiser should be nerfed_

Not only do they have the versatility of a medium mech, but come standard with hellfire rockets AND the point-D vulcan!! Why on earth should a prestige weapon be standard on just one mech_ Let alone combined with seeking rockets that only the rocketeer gets. Need I mention the machine gun turret_

They are good in every game type and have virtually no weaknesses.

Maybe this is true in lower level games, but onepce you get higher up, they become useless
In keeping with the best airborne tradition of relying on madmen instead of firepower, six of us with one BAR replaced eighteen 79th division doggies with a water cooled .50 and an air cooled .30.
David Webster, E company, Holland, 1945  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users