HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Overpowered mechs

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: The most overpowered mech (410 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the most overpowered mech_

1. Berserker (48 votes [7.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.36%

2. Infiltrator (68 votes [10.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

3. Reaper (26 votes [3.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.99%

4. Scout (140 votes [21.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.47%

5. Technician (53 votes [8.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.13%

6. Assault (16 votes [2.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

7. Bruiser (18 votes [2.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.76%

8. CR-T Recruit (16 votes [2.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

9. Raider (37 votes [5.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.67%

10. Sharpshooter (60 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

11. Brawler (12 votes [1.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.84%

12. Grenadier (11 votes [1.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

13. Rocketeer (28 votes [4.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

14. Vanguard (9 votes [1.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

15. None of them. The player make them good. (110 votes [16.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

Why is so overpowered_

1. Too quick (127 votes [20.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.85%

2. Too hard to kill (75 votes [12.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.32%

3. Everyone else's weapons suck. (29 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Too helpful special ability (78 votes [12.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.81%

5. Too strong weapons (198 votes [32.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.51%

6. Other (specify it in the comments) (102 votes [16.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationIndpls, IN USA

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:06 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If everyone liked the same thing it'd be a boring world now wouldn't it_ I still stand by what I said. They made the Fred powerful to give new people a chance to learn and survive. It has more armor than a B mech. As Powerufl a weapon as C mech's. And almost as nimble as a A mech. It this mech fair past lvl 10_ Not even. I'm sure you think it is because you are one of people mis-using it. Chances are I've been gaming longer than you've been alive, lol. I've been gaming online over 18 yrs. This is my 47th beta. and I have over 136 hours in this beta. Since we are both entitled to our opinions. Mine is the Fred is a starter mech and should be treated as such. Well that my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may very. Carry on.

YEAH I'M REALLY A 60 YR OLD GAMER. MY CALLSIGN IS PRONOUNCED INNOVATOR!!
Posted Image

#42 H0L0GRAM

H0L0GRAM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted September 09 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostNov8tr, on August 27 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If everyone liked the same thing it'd be a boring world now wouldn't it_ I still stand by what I said. They made the Fred powerful to give new people a chance to learn and survive. It has more armor than a B mech. As Powerufl a weapon as C mech's. And almost as nimble as a A mech. It this mech fair past lvl 10_ Not even. I'm sure you think it is because you are one of people mis-using it. Chances are I've been gaming longer than you've been alive, lol. I've been gaming online over 18 yrs. This is my 47th beta. and I have over 136 hours in this beta. Since we are both entitled to our opinions. Mine is the Fred is a starter mech and should be treated as such. Well that my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may very. Carry on.
I started with the CRT and stuck with it at a certain point, but seriously modded it so it looks nothing like a CRT. They are good not just for starter players, but for those of us who are not the super killers. I'm not that good a player, and it means simply not dying constantly, and being able to get a kill now and then, and maybe getting a decent place on the scoreboard sometimes.
I don't the actual numbers to do the math, but if you compare a CRT with the Assault, they are all but identical except in appearance
Even the skill/level progression bonuses for the special ability has identical numbers.
I didn't like the CRT because they look like a TV set, so I changed the body parts, and I like the result.
I also have been killed by CRTS more often than other mechs, or at least it seems like that.
One thing I do like about (enemy) CRTS is how when they get downed, they  often fall flat on their face and skid across the ground on their face - and that cracks me up! lol...

Posted Image

The game's first moving and shooting H0L0GRAM !

#43 PartyTime

PartyTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Locationeast coast north america

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:00 AM

I can appreciate the irony as an infiltrator pilot when I call scouts overpowered. Although with the change of turret modes, I might just find myself in a fat and slow vanguard or brawler, going into crab mode is just too much fun.

Edited by PartyTime, September 09 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#44 Jaken

Jaken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'm sorry, but all the new internals and improved graphics aren't going to change the fact that scouts are still overpowered after the new patch.  That, plus the constant irritation of technicians has completely soured me on this game.  I signed up to play COD with mechs not TF2. My thoughts are Meteor can't make up their mind if this is a straight up FPS or some kind of strategy/teamwork hybrid.  The maps certainly suggest the former, but their changes to the game lean toward the latter.  The result is constant frustration and this is someone who's grinded their way to a Pilot 30 position, whatever that means.  Wish I wasn't at the end of my rope with this game, the potential here is incredible, but each new change has made it harder and harder to want to log on for another match.

#45 Moonstone

Moonstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBoondocks, USA

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostJaken, on September 11 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but all the new internals and improved graphics aren't going to change the fact that scouts are still overpowered after the new patch.  That, plus the constant irritation of technicians has completely soured me on this game.  I signed up to play COD with mechs not TF2. My thoughts are Meteor can't make up their mind if this is a straight up FPS or some kind of strategy/teamwork hybrid.  The maps certainly suggest the former, but their changes to the game lean toward the latter.  The result is constant frustration and this is someone who's grinded their way to a Pilot 30 position, whatever that means.  Wish I wasn't at the end of my rope with this game, the potential here is incredible, but each new change has made it harder and harder to want to log on for another match.

>COD with mechs.

Yes I'm sure your opinion is extremely valuable.

On subject though, I really don't think anything in this game is too extremely overpowered now. Some may be annoyances such as the sharpshooter and regen combo, but overall I think that the community just has a fairly large amount of very skilled players which leaves the impression of overpowered mechs. Nothing gamebreaking.
Posted Image

Memento Mori

#46 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostMoonstone, on September 12 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

View PostJaken, on September 11 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

>COD with mechs.

Yes I'm sure your opinion is extremely valuable.

On subject though, I really don't think anything in this game is too extremely overpowered now. Some may be annoyances such as the sharpshooter and regen combo, but overall I think that the community just has a fairly large amount of very skilled players which leaves the impression of overpowered mechs. Nothing gamebreaking.
A classes with both speed internals. I could not turn as fast or dodge as fast as that guy. By the time i had the cursor on him he already teleported to another place. My turn speed with the grenadier just could not keep up. Couldnt dodge as well cause they have more fuel and i burnt it all up.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#47 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted September 14 2013 - 08:07 AM

All I have to say right to OP mechs:
This patch just got released. There will be balance issues so deal with it.

Also, put a really good player into a mech and you can make mech a pain in the butt to play against.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#48 BTMas2k

BTMas2k

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 12:20 PM

Technicians 2nd highest DPS in game now.  ...support role my ass.  I'm not one to complain, and never have, but new patch seriously gives creedence to new complaints of OP, especially with technician. If they dump all points into helix torch, plus other enhancements, they are virtually unstoppable + make a 1000+ armor class-C unstoppable as well, and almost always #1 on any team.  They were fine before, but the addition of the new points/internals systems allow for them to be pumped up way beyond what they used to be.

Edited by BTMas2k, September 14 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#49 Noblesse_0blige

Noblesse_0blige

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 01:51 PM

although am relatively new to the game, I don't find any mechs overpowered.

Sharpshooters are not because they are feeble up close that ability with that gun at range is all they have, in order to beat you 1v1 they would either need to come across a terrible player or need support to win.

Technicians and scouts are just a different side of the game that are more of a nuisance than anything. as long as you are rolling with the team and not rolling solo most mechs you come across should be eliminated rather quickly.

Then again am fairly new, just my experience so far.
Posted Image

"Nobility Obligates"

#50 Facepunch317

Facepunch317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationAbove you

Posted September 14 2013 - 02:13 PM

Technician. I play as one, and I operate best on it. I can solo 2 heavies. It's the ability to heal itself by damaging it's enemies that makes it so powerful. The only thing that slows it up is the tiny armor, and the massive heat the helix torch sprays off.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#51 Tracer13ullet

Tracer13ullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 21 2013 - 10:40 PM

Also posted this on reddit, but -

Seriously, maybe it's just me, but I've realized that I have so much fun with this game...until -EITHER- team gets a tech. I played about 8-9 games tonight with no techs in them and was having a blast; if I got killed it was usually a close fight and I complimented them, and I had quite a few rounds with killing sprees and great scores.

Then the last game I played tonight was a Siege my team was starting to win pretty handily. Until the enemy team started running 3 tech 3 heavy. Then it was just a fuzzy bunny shitshow - the Techs sit behind the heavies on the AA so they're impossible to hit, and the Heavies soak up so much damage with repair guns on them it's a mighty feat to bring even 1 down.

So I tried flanking in my new Reaper which I've been having great luck with tonight, and managed to get into some 1v1's with the techs. "Great!" I think. "If I pull a tech off their heavy I've succeeded in helping my team, and I should be able to kill a support mech pretty handily!"

Not the case at all. The issue is this - the tech has a relatively easy time landing a few shots with their secondary that increases the damage you take. Then they just lock on, hold down RMB, and you start getting fuzzy bunny wrecked. Dodge, fly, evade, nope - it's a beam and it is literally tracking your ass everywhere you go with minimal input on the techs part.

Not only is the damage high and the skill needed to use low, but it -heals- them. For a decent amount, too. This is where my issue comes from with the tech -

• 90% of the time the tech will be the top scorer on the team, simply because they can just heal teammates all game and outscore even the best killers.

• Repair gun is too strong offensively and defensively - it is very difficult to kill a bruiser or heavy that is being actively repaired, and the damage on it considering it locks on is way too high.

• Self-repair always occuring is idiotic and makes an already mobile, small, difficult to kill mech nigh-impossible.

So, rant over - discuss_

#52 Hartoled

Hartoled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 03:39 PM

It's completely ridiculous that it would take two class C mechs to fight an infiltrator or scout.  Restore the C class turn mobility and do away with the silly rear damage bonus and then it will be a semi-fair fight with those two.  Until this disparity is addressed the use of C class is a pretty bad idea.  Consider that the Infiltrator and Scout can close unobserved and deal 50 percent damage before they are even detected.   Add that to the inability to even see them before they finish you off, due to the sluggish nature of a mech that should be able to at least withstand for longer than a second, and you have a totally unreal situation.

They enter bases unscathed before the turrets can even lock onto them, stand in a sweet spot and use their OP weapons to wreak havoc.

Maybe fix the Hellfire so they don't announce their intention of hitting these quick little mechs.  The missles are slow enough to dodge if they have to watch for them, unlike an incoming Scout or Infiltator that just runs past you starting from a great distance before your weapons can even load for a shot from the time that they appear, and starts his ring-around-the-rosie death dance.  Fair is fair.  A tiny mech doesn't have room for a huge threat radar.  Or perhaps make threat warnings a countermeasure so we can at least wear down their ability to avoid them.  Give us something we can fight these abominations with.

Techs I have no problem with.  They are fast and deadly but at least the fight lasts a few seconds so you have only yourself to blame for getting so far out front that they become a challenge.

Edited by Hartoled, October 24 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#53 Alien_Head

Alien_Head

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 02:36 PM

Quite new to the game, and having an absolute blast.

I must say though, even if I am only level 8, I find the techs to be a real pain. Hiding behind heavies and spam repairing is just too much, especially once they have maxed out the repair torch.

Besides that, I find the general balance of the mechs ideal. The community is full of great players and if you find yourself often getting pegged by a scout, it's probably because the pilot/player is good.

Great game, looking forward to some more stuff

#54 ChubaMecha

ChubaMecha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationHangar 18

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:50 PM

its all the player with the right internals, i could kill all mechs but i cant kill all pilots if that makes sense
unless they are not looking while healing > : D

Posted Image

Can u spot all the Chubas_

:D

#55 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:39 PM

When I play as Reaper, Scouts dominate me.
When I play as Brawler, Rocketeers dominate me.

I don't understand why not all of the 'secondary' systems stats are tunable for all mechs- if only I could tune boosters and generator in my Reaper, I would need no other mech. Hmmm... perhaps that's why.

Scout, overall, dominates the game in my humble experience.
It's the combination of boosters, generator and the fuel reserve ability- the only "flying" mech in the game

Edited by FirstRaven, November 15 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#56 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 11:18 AM

Techies, and for one reason only: the way the devs implemented the Techie's mechanics mean that his role is practically required in nearly all team compositions except perhaps certain all-light+Raider combos. Absolutely no other mech throws counter-play so far out the window that its presence is a complete must-have.

Sure, a Scout is fast, but you don't need always a fast guy.
Sure, a Brawler is durable, but you don't need durability if everyone's good at dodging.
Sure, a Raider can chase and kill high-value targets, but you don't need a Raider if everyone's quick enough to capitalize on a valuable target's mistake.
etc.

Sure, a Techie can't do those jobs better than the specialized mechs above, but when you've got a pair of Heavies and a nice, cozy spot to just sit back and rain down hell upon, you don't need any of that fuzzy bunny.

You want to alpha strike the Techie_ Good luck, he's hiding behind a shield and has a portable scanner. Plus his buddies.
You want to EMP the Techie_ Good luck, he's got countermeasures.
You want to duel against the Techie on your own_ Good luck... most Techies are not that stupid.

Sensing a pattern here_
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#57 Dictatorfish

Dictatorfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostScarletThirteen, on November 18 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

You want to alpha strike the Techie_ Good luck, he's hiding behind a shield and has a portable scanner. Plus his buddies.
You want to EMP the Techie_ Good luck, he's got countermeasures.
You want to duel against the Techie on your own_ Good luck... most Techies are not that stupid.

Sensing a pattern here_
Hmmmm... so let me get this straight: you're saying the reason why this class is OP is because the people who play as this class are doing so intelligently and pre-planning counters against common threats they may face.

Lord help you if you come across a Raider who knows how to play peekaboo.

#58 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:51 AM

Anyone can play intelligently, but a Techie can swing stalemates far more easily than any other class in the game; considering Hawken's team modes' encounters are almost always team fights, a Raider who knows how to play peekaboo becomes exponentially more scary when an allied Techie is able to keep pace with him than it would if a Raider were paired with anyone else besides perhaps another Raider.

That and I've heard the Techie's got the second highest DPS. If it's true, I wouldn't have had such a problem if it didn't have any teammate healing/debuff/buffing role.

It's the only mech with both a debuff AND healing (both self from attacking enemies and on healing allies). It doesn't need health because it's mobile AND has an attack mode that gives self-healing.

I'll admit, in my hands the Techie doesn't fare well in one-on-one duels. But it doesn't have to be good at that. Unless both teams are relying on massive alpha strikes to win team fights, the Techie's ability to allow both itself and its allies to regenerate health without the need for items does wonders in longer fights.

#59 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostScarletThirteen, on November 21 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

That and I've heard the Techie's got the second highest DPS.

It's not even close to second highest DPS.  I think it is actually one of the worst DPS mechs in the game.

#60 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 10:09 AM

That's me misreading information again, then...

I've never really seen the Techie in tournament-level (2000+ MMR) team play, but at least for mid-high (say, 1700 to 2000 MMR) skill players on public servers, most teams seem to do better with one Techie, no more, no less.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users