HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Saturnine's Guide to the Classes *UPDATED for March Patch*

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:51 PM

Yet another update! This one is much more simple, though it was a pain for me. The guide now has a home on the steam community as well! You can find it here: (click)

Both guides will remain updated, this one isn't going anywhere. ;) In the move, things may have gotten messed up though, so if you notice any problems with the Steam version, let me know so it can get fixed.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#102 AWXthrones

AWXthrones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostSaturnine, on February 08 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Yet another update! This one is much more simple, though it was a pain for me. The guide now has a home on the steam community as well! You can find it here: (click)

Both guides will remain updated, this one isn't going anywhere. ;) In the move, things may have gotten messed up though, so if you notice any problems with the Steam version, let me know so it can get fixed.

Awesome, thanks man!

This guide really helped me transition back into the game. Will you be adding a indepth analysis on internals by chance_

#103 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostAWXthrones, on February 15 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Awesome, thanks man!

This guide really helped me transition back into the game. Will you be adding a indepth analysis on internals by chance_

I'm glad the guide was helpful! :)

As for internals, I don't have any plans on doing much analysis on those as of right now. Though, I can recommend air dodging on the mechs that have high air dynamics for sure. Too far beyond that, however, I don't have much in mind. Internals are very very fluid and dependent on how you want to play the game, and beyond a point it's all about augmenting your personal strengths/preferred playstyle, or working to mitigate your weaknesses as a player.

Posted Image

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#104 fez

fez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationQLD, AU

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:49 PM

Nice work Sat, cheers.

#105 Jafar

Jafar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 06:36 AM

Usefull post. Thanks!

#106 Richgar

Richgar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 06:36 PM

For the EOC Predator, it says we can have up to 12 mines at a time... is this a typo or did it change_ I thought it was 10. :S

#107 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostRichgar, on March 04 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

For the EOC Predator, it says we can have up to 12 mines at a time... is this a typo or did it change_ I thought it was 10. :S

I think this is something that changed that I didn't realize I needed to change in the guide. Will fix, thanks for pointing it out!

Posted Image

#108 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted March 06 2014 - 07:02 AM

also you can insta kill B-Class's now with EOC-P trap :3
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#109 Richgar

Richgar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 10:49 AM

View Postropefish, on March 06 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

also you can insta kill B-Class's now with EOC-P trap :3

Just raiders and sharpshooters though I think. They're the only B classes with less than 500 hp. Predator has 510.. so it would survive with just 10 hp

Edited by Richgar, March 06 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#110 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:08 PM

Brawler flies faster than it walks..
Posted Image

Posted Image

#111 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted March 16 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostTheVulong, on March 15 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

Brawler flies faster than it walks..
Posted Image

Just try to think of it as a magical fat fairyPosted Image
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#112 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted March 17 2014 - 06:16 AM

The armor numbers are wrong.

Thought you maybe wanted to know that.
I`ll fix it later.

#113 Tipsy_Gunner

Tipsy_Gunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for all your great work.  Any plans for a G2 Assault guide_
Posted Image

#114 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hey guys! Finally updated! The guide now has:
  • Fixed Bruiser ability section! It was fixed on Steam and not on here, oddly enough.
  • Fixed armor stats! (Thanks Aregon)
  • Added G2 Assault section! (It's placed under the Assault, and that'll be the method used with g2 mechs going forward)
  • Added the Incinerator!
  • Added the Bear weapons and the SAARE weapons!

If there's anything else that needs fixing/something changed that I didn't mention, let me know. Most features are applied to the Steam version of the guide at time of writing, and the rest will be added shortly.

Posted Image

#115 VocalMagic

VocalMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostSaturnine, on March 21 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

Hey guys! Finally updated! The guide now has:
  • Fixed Bruiser ability section! It was fixed on Steam and not on here, oddly enough.
  • Fixed armor stats! (Thanks Aregon)
  • Added G2 Assault section! (It's placed under the Assault, and that'll be the method used with g2 mechs going forward)
  • Added the Incinerator!
  • Added the Bear weapons and the SAARE weapons!
If there's anything else that needs fixing/something changed that I didn't mention, let me know. Most features are applied to the Steam version of the guide at time of writing, and the rest will be added shortly.
When are you going to remove the part about the CRT's no-longer-existing newbie internals_

I'll try shouting it again today: "Saturnine! Saturnine! Stop the spam, Saturnine!"

_, ,_ ∩ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
( ゚∀゚)彡 S9!S9!▒▒▒
 ⊂彡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

#116 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostVocalMagic, on March 22 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

When are you going to remove the part about the CRT's no-longer-existing newbie internals_

*Facepalm*

Oh my god.

I can't believe that was still there. Fixed, and I expanded the section a bit since some of the sections I wrote first were a bit skimpy compared to later sections.

Posted Image

#117 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:15 AM

Oh good, I'm not the only one thinking this.  New player pops open sticky guide, sees outdated information for significant game mechanics that apparently do not exist anymore for the first mech anybody owns .  On top of the table of Contents listing Tuning.  Same Newbie Internals deal on the "More up to date" Steam Guide.

So I assumed it was one of the many wildly outdated but still popular and stickied "guides" like many before it and stopped reading.  Honestly I have to admit that's probably an unfair judgment without reading the whole thing, but that was my initial impression.

Finally reading it all, the overall information in general seems good at least.   Warning people that the Infiltrator's cloak runs off Fuel (not actually mentioned anywhere in the Mech purchase blurbs) is kind of a big deal, for example.  The sort of unfortunate Gotcha moment you wish the Devs would actually warn you about ahead of time.

...Then it goes into talk about using the Tuning System for the Infiltrator, and the admiration is lost.  Two out of Two mechs so far why am I botheri-no, no.  Keep reading.  The guide is still a good overviews of mechs and equipment, just sprinkled with references to things that no longer exist, including an entire section on parts that do not exist as of when I picked up this game at the end.

On a opinion end of things, I would warn any A Class hopefuls that it will HURT until you hit Pilot Rank 21, so are allowed to finally purchase an Air Compressor (With Hawken points, instead of Real Dollars).  That thing seems to be the difference between some newb like me lazily swatting you swatting you out of the air with a TOW or not.

On the nitpicking the game end, what good is rewarding us with a Desert Camo paint when we hit Rank 6 on a Mech...  When you can't use your unlocked (or any) paint on your unlocked Elite parts, surprise!  You can't paint your Elite Fred unlocks sucker!  Which is a shame because I really like the look of those parts.

EDIT for  Beaten by seconds_:... Nah, you still keep talking about Tuning all over the place maaaan!  Unless I'm just not looking hard enough for where to buy Hydraulics.

Edited by SectionZ, March 22 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#118 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostSectionZ, on March 22 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Oh good, I'm not the only one thinking this.  New player pops open sticky guide, sees outdated information for significant game mechanics that apparently do not exist anymore for the first mech anybody owns .  On top of the table of Contents listing Tuning.  Same Newbie Internals deal on the "More up to date" Steam Guide.

I do ask people to let me know when there's anything out of date that I missed, I try to keep this as up to date as I can, but it's a big guide and I can miss things. So thanks for the rest of your post letting me know of problems with it! The reason the CRT internal section was missed was because nothing like it is anywhere else in the guide, and I had completely forgotten I wrote anything about it, since it was one of the very first things I wrote.

Finally reading it all, the overall information in general seems good at least.   Warning people that the Infiltrator's cloak runs off Fuel (not actually mentioned anywhere in the Mech purchase blurbs) is kind of a big deal, for example.  The sort of unfortunate Gotcha moment you wish the Devs would actually warn you about ahead of time.

I think this is actually mentioned when you look at the details about the Infiltrators ability in game.

...Then it goes into talk about using the Tuning System for the Infiltrator, and the admiration is lost.  Two out of Two mechs so far why am I botheri-no, no.  Keep reading.  The guide is still a good overviews of mechs and equipment, just sprinkled with references to things that no longer exist, including an entire section on parts that do not exist as of when I picked up this game at the end.

There used to be a tuning section on every mech, but that was removed when the system was removed. The mech sections no longer have any information on the tuning system for every mech, or suggestions for directions on how to tune your mech. It does have a section on the stats of each mech, but those are still in the game, and help people find the strengths and weaknesses of each mech in terms of pure numbers. If there are still references to old systems like that in the mech sections, please let me know so I can remove them, but I think the vast majority should be gone by now.

As for the whole tuning section at the bottom of the guide, that's been kept for a couple of reasons. First, I wrote up this whole big section and I didn't want it to go to waste. Second, while the system by which you can tune the mech yourself is gone, the information about what each stat means and such is still useful and important, so I kept it around as a reference to what all the stats mean. I could still remove it going forward in the future, if I/people think that it isn't worth having anymore, but I want to make sure for now that all bases are covered so people will know exactly what each stat for each mech means.

On a opinion end of things, I would warn any A Class hopefuls that it will HURT until you hit Pilot Rank 21, so are allowed to finally purchase an Air Compressor (With Hawken points, instead of Real Dollars).  That thing seems to be the difference between some newb like me lazily swatting you swatting you out of the air with a TOW or not.

I don't have internal recommendations in the guide because the internals change a lot, and almost all of it is extremely based in personal preferences. I know that right now the air dodge internal is popular with many people, but that may not always be the case as things change and the meta develops. I know it is more than possible to be a successful A class player without ever buying an air dodge internal, though there are certainly many viable strategies based around the use of air dodges, they are just that, choices, and I do try and point out the strengths and weaknesses in the stats of each mech, especially considering things like air speed, so people can make the choice about which mech would benefit most from having air dodges.

On the nitpicking the game end, what good is rewarding us with a Desert Camo paint when we hit Rank 6 on a Mech...  When you can't use your unlocked (or any) paint on your unlocked Elite parts, surprise!  You can't paint your Elite Fred unlocks sucker!  Which is a shame because I really like the look of those parts.

I agree, being able to paint elite parts would be pretty cool! But I also find that I like the normal parts better anyway, some of the time, so it's a bit of a wash.

Nah, you still keep talking about Tuning all over the place maaaan!  Unless I'm just not looking hard enough for where to buy Hydraulics.

I quickly looked through for this, but I can't find it. I mention the tuning system patch in a few places as instances where a mech mechanic changes, but I can't find any tuning system references in the mech guides themselves. Again, I do have the stats for every mech listed, which is still relevant and important information, as it explains the under the hood capabilities of each mech. I also have the old tuning system section, but that's still just to explain what each stat point means. Maybe I'll rename it to the stats system and remove/rewrite a couple of things to make it more clear.

I rewrote the tuning section to make it into the stats section, and rewrote all the bits under it to get rid of all the vestiges of the tuning system, and now it should only describe the stats system as it stands.

Edited by Saturnine, March 22 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Posted Image

#119 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 22 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostSaturnine, on March 22 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

*Facepalm*

Oh my god.

I can't believe that was still there.
You should pay attention to your sig as well BTW. It's really out of date in some places ;)

Posted Image

#120 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostTheVulong, on March 22 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

You should pay attention to your sig as well BTW. It's really out of date in some places ;)

If you mean the references to Scapes, he still shows up in the Hawkenscrim IRC occasionally. Everything else looks to still be accurate.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users